Vis' Toolkit Items (New Set being Worked on)

• 17 replies

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Vis' Toolkit Items (New Set being Worked on)
« on: December 07, 2018, 03:40 PM »
So I don't flood the "Post your TMT projects" thread, I'm making a single thread for all my current and future projects.

Platform Roof Set; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1585265385

I didn't like that Frontier didn't have any roofs for covering stairs, so I decided to make my own, which turned into my first project the Platform Roof Set.

I noticed that the flat piece that connects to the stairs had an issue, it wouldn't work with stairs going up so I have split it into 3 wedges, an upwards connector, a downward connector, and a blank side, that when 4 are put together recreate the original piece but with more customization.

So while I work on fixing the textures for those pieces, I give you a quick blank roof I whipped up. Its 2m tall and has a 2m and 4m wide version both tile beautifully

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:46 PM by VisAnimi »

Re: Vis' Toolkit Items
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:47 PM »
PC has a lack of roofs so far, so this is very useful. Can't wait to see what other sets you post here, keep it up!

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 12:37 AM »
UPDATE; You can now get the base roof pieces of the Platform Roof set here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1585265385

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:48 AM by VisAnimi »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:24 PM »
These are really nice and I could see myself using them, except for one thing. Each piece is over 5 MB. This seems to be a very common problem with most of the items that are being uploaded to the Workshop. I really think a lot more people will want to use these if you can get that number down to about 1MB, which I can think of no reason why it can't be, as it's such a simple piece.

Just what is making the file size so large? I expect it's the texture size. Are you able to lower the size of the texture?

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53 PM »
I agree with shyguy, lowering the size would be nice, there's gotta be a way to compress the texture I'm sure (I know nothing about 3D modeling actually, I'm sorry). I downloaded the set anyways of course, nice job.

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 03:09 PM »
All three items use the same Textures, and each item comes to about 1.44MB in total, (At most 1.2MB in the .zip file)

II have noticed the converter spits out files of varying sizes between revisions, sometimes it spits out a file around 7.1mb, sometimes its 4.7mb and sometimes its 3.2ish. I will take a look at trying to fix it, but I'll will probably have to re-upload them if I do, as each revision is considered "different" item.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:32 PM by VisAnimi »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Fantastic stuff, Vis!
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 04:03 PM »
I did a test upload with a cube, that had 4 1024x1024px textures and a 32x32px for the flexi. Its 633KB in total and the size of the .zip I uploaded was 419KB. Its .pcugc file was a massive increase to 3.4MB. I'm gonna try some different configurations
to see how i can shrink my file size with minimal quality loss

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:27 PM »
When I made cs for RCT3, I used the smallest textures I could get away with. Usually 128x128, or 256x256. For textures that were only a single color, I went as low as 8x8. I don't know if you can use textures this small for Planet Coaster, but try to get them as small as possible and if you can compress them when saving, even better.

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 07:51 PM »
I think the Converter may be decompressing the pngs and grow quite a bit, but with that said I have been able to shrink the file size down to 1.2MB and 2.5MB.

I've updated the steam workshop files, so no need to resubscribe, and I will keep most of my files under 3MB from now on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:00 PM by VisAnimi »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Thanks for doing that. That will make this set much more useable.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 02:35 AM »
Great job on shrinking the file sizes!  And thank you for doing so.  I sometimes fear that some designers might take offense at the suggestion to do so, so it's wonderful to see someone who not only is accepting of the suggestion, but puts in a lot of effort to explore if it's doable.  Kudos for that, I find that very commendable and I'm looking forward to using these in my park!

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:13 AM »
The angled roof to cover stairs is now available and is in the Platform Roof Collection, along with a short end piece. The connector pieces will be next.

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 03:36 AM »
Platform Roof Connectors are now available in the collection,

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Vis' Toolkit Items (New Set being Worked on)
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 12:01 AM »
Hello everyone its been a while and I'm finally getting back into Planet Coaster TMT, This time I'm making a Wall Set. With Shyguy's approval I'm hoping it can be a worthy spiritual successor to his RCT3 Main Street sets.

Here's my progress so far,

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:05 AM by VisAnimi »

Offline VisAnimi

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 09:03 AM »
Small Update:

I got fed up with the standard 37.5cm thick walls in PlanCo, as the scaling required for doorways and corners was horrible. Leading me to thin down the walls, which not only helped with scaling but made the pieces look better in my opinion. Unfortunately that means they wont line up perfectly with PlanCo walls anymore.

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 11:11 AM »
All this looks fantastic! Looking forward to working with the sets!!!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:03 PM »
Nice work!  Great to see some of shyguy's original stuff translated into PC. :up: :up: :up: