Disneyland - Fantasyland Shops (Castle Holiday Shoppe)

• 8 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Disneyland - Fantasyland Shops (Castle Holiday Shoppe)
« on: December 15, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Castle Holiday Shoppe

The Castle Holiday Shoppe is located in Fantasyland in the Sleeping Beauty courtyard.

The new shop opened in 2017, replacing the Castle Heraldry Shoppe.

The majority of Fantasyland was refurbished in 1983, changing the attraction facades from a medieval carnival style to a fantasy mock up of a Bavarian village. But this building has been here since opening day.

The shop features a wide assortment of Disney-themed Christmas ornaments and decorations. But the interior seems a bit under-themed, almost having a temporary look to it, as if this shop may change again in the near future. This is pure speculation on my part, though.

The display windows out front don't appear to have changed from the way they looked when this was the Heraldry Shoppe, apart from some Christmas decor thrown in.

The shop is decorated with festive displays, Christmas trees, and colorful wrapped presents, with Disney characters interspersed here and there.

The shop also offers a nice selection of Christmas stockings and figurines.

A very nice selection of ornaments are sold here, and you can even get personalized, hand-painted ornaments, which they'll do for you right in the shop while you wait.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Disneyland - Fantasyland Shops (Castle Holiday Shoppe)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I've always liked the old-world/storybook look of this shop (a.k.a. Merlin's Magic Shop and a hundred other names over the years). I notice there's a herd of strollers grazing outside the shop. They seem to be nibbling at those bushes; maybe that's how they keep them looking trimmed and spiffy.

Yep, you know Christmas is just around the corner when you see Pluto in a pirate get-up. :-\

The Chip and Dale nutcracker is a great idea. The concept works perfectly considering that those two are always after nuts, nuts, and more nuts.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:48 PM »
I notice there's a herd of strollers grazing outside the shop.
It's nearly impossible to get shots of Fantasyland without including strollers. They're parked all over the place, ruining the atmosphere, in my opinion. These days, I tend to refer to Fantasyland as Stroller Land.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 06:11 PM »
I totally agree that the strollers ruin the atmosphere. I almost included in my post above: "Those strollers sorta ruin the shot. You should've moved them all around the corner and out of sight before snapping the photos. I'm sure the owners/renters wouldn't have minded one bit. :P"

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Though it likely won't ever happen, since it would require some serious changes, I'd love to see them just connect up Fantasyland with Toontown through where the theater is and make it feel like a proper area more like World rather than what it is now. It feels like a pass through area to me, with the actual experience being hidden behind the paths in show buildings etc. And how it all kinda just awkwardly integrates into itself on all sides. I think Walt sensed this as well when he put the Matterhorn in and redrew his Fantasyland/Tomorrowland split in '59. And then Small World went in and the area kinda turned into a land an a half. Toontown makes it feel like 3/2's are sitting there waiting to fit in together.

The switch to Bavarian stylings in the 80's was a good move overall over the circus tents, but you do sever the thematic connection to Small World, the Tea Cups, canal boats, and Casey Jr. (Literally a circus train) Though you do create a connection with Matterhorn. I dunno, I think there's some third way to connect these disparate themes that could possibly connect in with Toontown and create something cohesive.

But apart from all this, love the photos! Even if there's strollers everywhere.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:26 PM by Grrt »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 01:29 PM »
^ Well there are some big additions coming to Fantasyland in the near future. I don't know whether it will help to solve some of these issues, or make it even more disjointed. We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Grrt

• Where's the kaboom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 01:38 PM »
I've not actually seen anything about new Fantasyland additions (at least not anything public beyond rumors). Are there any public links? If they follow the format they did in World, they'd have a lot to work off of, making kind of mini vignette lands of different films.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:42 PM by Grrt »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45 AM »
I've not actually seen anything about new Fantasyland additions (at least not anything public beyond rumors). Are there any public links? If they follow the format they did in World, they'd have a lot to work off of, making kind of mini vignette lands of different films.
I think it's been confirmed that something is going to be added between the Matterhorn and Small World. Beyond that, it's been mostly speculation.

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:03 AM »
Architecturally speaking, I feel like Disney stole this one from you, Shyguy :P