The Wonderful World of OZ!

• 69 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Re: The Wonderful World of OZ!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 11:39 AM »
Sadly, while all the RCT3 CSO sets for Oz are still available for download, most of the record of the park is gone.  Rich suffered a loss of his hard drive, the RCT3 park thread here is long-gone now, and with PhotoBucket being, well, PhotoBucket, many of the images hosted there disappeared anyways.  I have a few old screenshots saved myself, but for some reason little from the front of the park that I could find to make a comparison, but I'll keep looking.

There is one screen I found that shows a glimpse of the Emerald City further back on the bench...

Excuse the screenshot, it was just one shared between Rich and I as we worked on the project, but it gives a little hint of what we were able to do in RCT3.  Rich is taking it up a notch and dozen more in PC...

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:44 PM »
Actually, I was bored today and searched through the old archive RCT threads, and found it;

https://www.shyguysworld.com/Archive/index.php/topic,14780.0.html

Take a quick gander if you get a chance. Lots of neat info there, but sadly, a number of the pics don't show up any longer.

Here's a couple of new ones;

Kansas main street circa 1940;

The Gulch residence, where no dogs are allowed!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41 PM »
Quote: "The Gulch residence, where no dogs are allowed!"

But... where's her bicycle? Gotta have the bike. :D

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I believe I saw a bike (or two) out on the workshop

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Thanks, guys. I'll have a look.

The facade for the story of OZ, a ride-on that recreates scenes from the original MGM production a la The Great Movie Ride;

Right now, it houses a Psychola!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:26 PM by citytrader »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Wow, I love your Munchkinland façade! It's spot on; you can't mistake it for anything else. About the YBR: I suppose it would be sacrilege to use some other (in-game) texture/color, right? That red texture really works for Munchkinland.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 05:49 AM »
As a kid, wizard of oz was my favorite movie! I love how you're fleshing out Kansas & am thrilled to see how it develops! (are you planning a twister?)

Also, munchkin land looks great! Love how you're using billboards as backdrops. Really brings out a "wizzard of ozz-y" vibe.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 09:07 AM »
"Follow the yellow art shapes, follow the yellow art shapes, follow, follow, follow, follow,  follow the yellow art shapes!"

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 10:25 AM »
nice!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 02:22 AM »
Amazing project! The pics look very beautiful!
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 12:07 PM »
To say that I'm not a fan of this film is a massive understatement, but my God, this is gorgeous. I liked your RCT3 version, but this is looking stellar.
The Munchkin facade with the swirly start of the Yellow Artshape Road is bloody brilliant and it really made me chuckle too.
I really cannot wait to see this project grow.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Thanks so much guys! Love the feedback!

Here's a better look at the fountain where Glinda appears;

The flower/lamp is kind of lame, and I may switch it out. I used the pirate fountain base, and the flowers hide the skulls! The oriental bridge is from the workshop, and it works perfectly. You can see a very colorful Victorian lamp in the background.

Just some random shots;

Part of Main Street;

89James89's cover for the Monte Leon looks wonderful in the carnival area;

Marvel's Marvelous Swinging Trapeze;

And finally, started work on the Munchkin Tea Party;

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15 PM »
This is looking wonderful. I love how Munchkin Village is really starting to shape up. Captures the look of the film perfectly.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08 PM »
I like the name and concept of the Munchkin Tea Party. Very colorful and full of whimsy. Hmm, I'm trying to figure out why the Main Street sidewalk is torn up. Twister damage, maybe?

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 02:21 AM »
That's next to Gulch's house.  She already owns half the county, she's certainly not going to spend money on sidewalk repairs!  LOL!

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 03:45 AM »
I like the name and concept of the Munchkin Tea Party. Very colorful and full of whimsy. Hmm, I'm trying to figure out why the Main Street sidewalk is torn up. Twister damage, maybe?

That's next to Gulch's house.  She already owns half the county, she's certainly not going to spend money on sidewalk repairs!  LOL!

Good call Wagi! As it turns out, that corner proved very problematical. I dressed it up a bit so it fits in better with the rest of the Gulch estate! Overgrown, broken sidewalk is just what you would expect.

Speaking of the Gulch house, there is an awfully long straight walk from the farm to the county fair area (A bit of a flaw in the original Goddard design, I think).

Solved the problem by building a small snack bar onto the rear of the Gulch place. I think it works pretty well. Barriers prevent the peeps from walking through the tables;

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:49 AM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02 AM »
That all looks quite nice but I'm unfamiliar with the concept park and don't ever recall hearing of "Gulch" before ;).
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 12:35 PM »
If you check back to post #29, I describe a little about what this park was supposed to be. It was to be just outside of Kansas City, Kansas, and would be a world class resort. Local politics and a few morons ensured the project would die. However, the Goddard Group, who designed the park, did create a number of concept sketches and blueprints, as well as two beautiful full size renders of the complete park. I am attempting to follow those plans as closely as is practical.

If you have ever seen the 1939 movie, Elmira Gulch was the evil woman owns half the county and who wants to destroy Toto because he "bit" her, and of course her counterpart in OZ is the Wicked Witch of the West. We learn the origin of the WWW in the movie "OZ the great and Powerful", with James Franco.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Thanks for the info :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 08:50 PM »
About the torn up sidewalk: Ah, I get it now; it's part of the Gulch estate. Since those shops are also on the Gulch premises, I fully expect to see a burger stand called "Totally Toto". :P  And if you add more than one to the park, the other one could be "Totally Toto Too".

And OMG! That janitor must be a sword swallower; he's already got the business end of his broom all the way down his throat! He's wasting his time as a janitor; he should be starring in Prof. Marvel's sideshow.

Quote: "We learn the origin of the WWW in the movie "OZ the great and Powerful", with James Franco."

I enjoyed that movie. The critics only gave it 2 stars; I would've given it 3.

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Thanks so much guys for the comments!!!

Munchkinlands first flat is open to a test crowd;

Pay no attention to those simple emerald green towers in the background!
Everyone loves the covered queue in the hot Kansas sun;

You catch a glimpse of the facade of the Story of OZ ride from the queue;

The lush oversized vegetation helps set teh mood!

Another view of the popular ride!

I wonder what is over that bridge?

Heading out of town for a family vacation. See you guys in a week or so!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Looks very nice! 

Have a good trip!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Back from vacation, and a little progress;

The original concept art from Goddard;

Not 100% complete, but here's my version;

And at night;

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:52 AM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2019, 12:13 PM »
That's a nice interpretation :P  Should be a fun little train ride.  Are you going to run a log flume through it too, instead of the water slide?
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2019, 09:40 AM »
That's a nice interpretation :P  Should be a fun little train ride.  Are you going to run a log flume through it too, instead of the water slide?

Actually, I am using the junior coaster with the worm cars, named for H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E., a character from the original OZ books. He winds up in Munchkinland opening a school, so I guess it all fits. Also, the slides will be made, eventually. Saw some stuff on the workshop that might help.

Saw this on the workshop, and could not resist!

How perfect for Munchkinland! Unfortunately, the staff is having some mechanical issues right now, so the kiddies can't ride. Here you can also see a teeny preview of the thrill ride, the Lollipop Guild!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:43 AM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2019, 12:56 PM »
That's a great fake kiddie ride ;)  But I thought the Munchins wore blue in the books.  Green was for some other country IIRC.

Ah yes, the old Wogglebug.  My mother has a copy of that from when she was little.  It's a paperback the size and shape of a comic book, but it's all text inside with a few illustrations.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 03:11 PM »
I'm not sure who wore what color in the books. Right now, I have most of the employees in green shirts and gold pants. That may change, and certainly will for the WWW's forest.

The newest ride in Munchkinland;

Here is the entrance side of the Munchkin Water Works;

« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:14 PM by citytrader »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 05:03 PM »
I'm not sure who wore what color in the books.

As I didn't remember myself, I looked it :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_of_Oz#/media/File:Oz-and-surrounding-countrie.jpg

Munchkins = blue (west), Cillikins = purple (north), Winkies = yellow (east), Quadlings = red (south), dwellers of the Emerald City = green (center).  These were ethnicities involving skin tones besides just clothing and the main paint color of their buildings.  Most of this was totally unexplored in the book which became the ancient movie and definitely not at all strictly adhered to in that movie.  For instance, the Winkie guards (who were never identified as Winkies) in the movie had green skin, not yellow as they should have, to look more like the Wicked Witch of the West, who was herself a Munchkin so should have been blue, not green.

But then, of course, Baum contradicted himself quite frequently throughout all the book, so I don't really think there's any "official canon". :D  Which means, do what you will :)

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Muserato

• Alvaras wippi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Super fun project Citytrader, looking great already!

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Thank you guys!

Most of the businesses on Main Street are named for people involved in the classic 1939 movie;

Victor Fleming, one of the four directors on the film, was famous for his ubiquitous cigars. He left the film early to start Gone With the Wind, and George Cukor finished up Wizard.