[WIP] Frontier Farms

• 11 replies

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
[WIP] Frontier Farms
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:35 PM »
I started a park in RCT3 just a little while back when there was a competition here on Shyguy's where I ended up naming my entry Frontier Farms due to my computers lack to read any custom made signs and used the base of the in game signage lol. Everyone loved Barnstormer and Venom and since I've made the switch to PC from RCT3 I thought what better way to expand on my ideas, this time with a proper pc and a more versatile game. I will be discontinuing Timber Wolf's thread and bringing that ride into this park as well, as I did not know what I was doing for most of the build, and just yesterday hit some kind of learning kick and exploded with new ideas from tinkering on and on, and I am not going back through and deleting this this this that and this, just to start over fresh!

Right, so, onto what I have thus far, well, it isn't much, but we all have to start from somewhere I suppose. This park is based on Cedar Fair style parks and will have mostly generic styling throughout.

Venom. Classic Arrow Looper with a chip on its shoulder. This ride will bring back that old school feel with a slight touch of new school deals.

And YES I will be doing the custom lift supports for Venom. [ :sweat: ]

The coasters planned out thus far are:

Venom - Arrow Looper
Barn Stormer - B&M Stand-up [look up in RCT 3 frontier farms if you want a look at what was done]
Timber Wolf - B&M Floorless
Thrasher - Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters

Let's get this show on the road, within the next few days I will have Barn Storm added in and train housing placed. I will not finish one ride to the next, rather place most rides now and create the park around them for the best path interaction.

Thanks for tuning in! Hoping for a great turn out!
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Frontier Farms
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 05:41 AM »
Very nice! Excited to see it with the custom supports.

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Good luck with the new park!  It's a good omen that you're starting with an Arrow :).  I really like that transfer track and can't wait to see the custom supports.  Will they be the later style, more like the generic stock supports, or the old tangle of girders?
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Very nice! Excited to see it with the custom supports.

Me too! Been downloading a lot of pics and watching a lot of vids to decide how to go about construction

Good luck with the new park!  It's a good omen that you're starting with an Arrow :).  I really like that transfer track and can't wait to see the custom supports.  Will they be the later style, more like the generic stock supports, or the old tangle of girders?

Thanks! And like I said above, I'm still going through pics and vids. Right now I am leaning towards Viper's supports, however that was a mega looper, whereas this has more of The Ninja's footprint.

Decisions.... decisions....  :confused:

I Guess I could go with Vipers since the park is based on mid to late 90's, and the presence of Barnstormer being similar to The Georgia Scorcher seems to be the way to go. That way with the woodie being based off of Screaming Eagle, everything from that point on can be more and more modern and I can explore with basically rebranding and expanding the park as in real life.
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Glad to see you taking the plunge into Planet Coaster. Looks like a great start so far.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Glad to see you taking the plunge into Planet Coaster. Looks like a great start so far.

Took me a bit to get the hang of the building, both coaster and buildings, but I'm getting it down more and more each day! Thanks, hope the updates to come do not disappoint!

*************************************************************************************************

Small update - Barn Stormer has been erected!

Though this is not the placement where the coaster is going to rest, it [the coaster] is almost finished [custom lift supports and some more smoothing things out]. What do you think about this updated version from its RCT3 counterpart? ----> https://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,20051.0.html

Only one more coaster [thrasher] to be constructed and then I can fill in with park entrance and pathwork, stations queues as well as flat rides and assortments of buildings, etc. From there the park will go through expansions and additions with new coasters and rides, as in real life. Again, this coaster is mid to late 90's as of now!

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Another nice, sinuous coaster.  I see a family resemblance to the red one :).

So, is the 3rd coaster going to be more family-friendly?  I don't think either of these allow kids.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Another nice, sinuous coaster.  I see a family resemblance to the red one :).

So, is the 3rd coaster going to be more family-friendly?  I don't think either of these allow kids.

My first initial thought was recreate it down to every section of track, but the RCT3 version was limited by its in game pieces, and I felt this ride could have a little more of an attitude and expand on that; Little brother coming in to show up its older brothers, Georgia Schorcher/Iron Wolf.

The 3rd coaster is an old school PTC, Screamin' Eagle esque then add a GCI Thunderhead like woodie. Kids can ride wooden coasters right? Or do I need to make an actual kiddie coaster for them?

And before I get too far ahead of myself, How many coasters and flat rides can operate before the game starts to lag? Is 6-7 coasters too much in one park, or do I need to make benches?

I have no idea which flat rides to include or which ones to fabricate [non functional]. Any suggestions? I may attempt to make a power tower, but with the parts count from the Arrow lift, that might be too much to handle... I know there will be a scrambler, I ALWAYS add this....

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Yup, kids can ride woodies (all of them) and the hybrids, plus all the ones in the family section and a few in the "Other Steel" section.

As to what will choke your computer, that depends on your computer.  IIRC, you just got a new hotrod so you should be able to go big.

Prior to 1.9, what bogged folks down was the number of peeps in the park, not the amount of rides or scenery.  Peeps are constantly making AI decisions so the more peeps you have, the more CPU load.  Most folks could build parks with 200,000 parts or more no problem, but if they left even 100 peeps in, they'd choke.  Others, with more CPU, could handle both 200,000 parts and a few thousand peeps.

Since 1.9, the game started touching parts of people's systems that it hadn't messed with before, so suddenly parks that were working fine for them before now had very bad FPS.  There are apparently a number of different causes for this.  Other folks noticed no problems and some folks have had such problems resolved either by the 1.10 patch or tech support tickets.  YMMV.

I recommend finding out what your limits are up front, before starting something you might not be able to finish.  So go download some of the biggest, fanciest parks you can find on the workshop (this parks topic is a good place to find candidates), run them, and see what happens.  Most of them will be closed to start with (as a favor to folks limited by CPU).  So once you decided you can handle the graphics, open the park up and see how many peeps you can tolerate in it.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Ah, kk. Yeah then there will be the 2 woodies. I think I avoided the bug since I did not even have the game downloaded, let alone played, so I havent experienced any crashes associated with the game, power outage or daughter pressing glowing power button are my only scares these days.

Placing lights on my building and it not glitching out or creating random flickers felt AMAZING!!!

Here is a small update, I need to flush out this area around Venom so I can figure out where to put Thrasher and Barn Stormer.

Started the outline of the station building/queue

Queue set up. I've seen some rides in PC that have small lines, the other parks that have realistic long lines and are still filled up... HOW!? Teach me!

Hopefully tomorrow is a more productive day!

Online Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Ah, kk. Yeah then there will be the 2 woodies.

I forgot to mention, there are actually 2 things that make a coaster family-friendly.  #1 is the hard coding mentioned above, the other is fear rating.  Each group of peeps has a fear tolerance---they will not go on a ride with a fear rating > fear tolerance.  So even if you start with a family-capable coaster, you can still screw it up by making the fear too high.

IMHO, a fear rating if 3.5 is ideal for a "general purpose" coaster, like a big, expensive woodie.  This won't scare off the braver half of all families, plus is still going to attract the bulk of adults and most teens because that much fear will come with 5.5 - 6.0 excitement.  That's about the largest customer base possible so justifies its cost.  If you want a specifically kids-only coaster, you need fear down around 2.5 or less, which will keep excitement at 3 or less, and only the most timid half of families will ride it.  So only make cheap, tiny coasters this bland.

Queue set up. I've seen some rides in PC that have small lines, the other parks that have realistic long lines and are still filled up... HOW!? Teach me!

In general, long, full queues are a BAD THING in PC whether you play sandbox or for money.  They are a sign of poor park balance and really hose up overall peep flow.  If you play for money, the hosed peep flow costs you a lot of money.  If you just want to watch your park run with peeps everywhere and no major congestion, you won't get that if you have long, full queues.

I find that about 15 minutes is the absolute maximum queue time you ever want in the game:  8-10 minutes is better, 5-6 minutes better still.  I can explain why later (it will take a while as it requires a long dissertation on many aspects of peep behavior).  But if you want to screw up your park by having "realistic" long, full queues, here's how to do it:

For a queue of a given length X, its fullness depends on 3 factors:

#1:  The ride's popularity compared to other rides in the park.  This is a combination of a) its fear rating, which determines how much of the peep population will consider riding it, and b) the ride's prestige compared to that of the other rides in the park.

#2:  The total number of peeps in the park compared to a) the physical area you gave them to spread out in, and b) the number of other possible destinations (rides and shops) they have to choose from.  The number of peeps in the park is a direct function of park rating, which is based on the number of attractions, their prestige, and overall park scenery.  Basically, the more stuff in the park, the higher its rating, so the more peeps will enter, but more stuff requires more space.

#3:  The ride's throughput compared to its attractiveness, which determines how fast peeps arrive at the queue entrance.  The higher the throughput, the less likely it is that peeps will arrive faster than they leave.

So, to really jam up a queue, you need the following:

A.  Build a ride that allows nearly all peeps to ride.  This is best accomplished with a kid-friendly coaster or track ride with a fear of 3.4 - 3.5, although a no-kids ride with the same fear will work.

B.  Give the ride notably the best prestige in the park.  Prestige goes in tiers of about 600 (0-600, 600-1200, 1200+).  Within each tier, rides are about equally attractive but higher tiers totally trump lower tiers.  It's quite hard to build a coaster with more than 1200 prestige unless it's some mile-long giga but it's pretty easy with a highly pimped track ride due to their excitement buff.  So make the a single 1200+ ride and make sure nothing else in the park exceeds about 1000.

C.  Give the ride a low throughput.  For a coaster, this means running fewer and/or shorter trains, giving them excessive load times from inefficient station design and wait-time settings, etc.  But don't have them sit on the brake run or that will ruin the excitement and thus lower the prestige.  For track rides, use way more cars/logs/rafts than you really need, to create traffic jams heading into the station.  Because track rides have an excitement buff, this won't reduce prestige very much.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:27 PM »
I do like the reasoning behind your transition from RCT3 to Planet Coaster. I cannot give you too much feedback because my Planet Coaster creations are nothing I would post, but please continue to share your progress because every good idea needs to start somewhere.  :D