• 83 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Pharqueson Farms Episode 5: The Fairgrounds
« on: January 19, 2019, 06:10 PM »
EPISODE 1:  Infrastructure

PROLOGUE:
US Highway 61, which runs (or at least used to run) up the Mississippi River from New Orleans to Canada, has many nicknames along its length.  In various places, it's known as "Airline Highway", "the Blues Highway", "The Great River Road", and "Scenic Highway".  It has seen many momentous events, about which many songs have been written.  But this story takes place just off an obscure stretch of it near the SW corner of Mississippi, where the road is just called "Highway 61" or even just "61", and where large sections of it slide off the loess hillsides periodically.

Welcome to Pharqueson Farms.

Here, for a number of generations, the Pharqueson family scraped a meager but sufficient subsistence from the loess using a varying roster of cotton, corn (maize), beans, and scrub cattle.  Their proudest accomplishment was preventing their piece of loess from eroding too badly, which was the fate of most of their neighbors.  But then came WW2.  The 2 older brothers of who survived went to college on the GI Bill and never came back except for occasional visits.  The youngest brother missed out on this opportunity and was left to run the farm but his children were inspired by the visits of their "exotic" uncles to leave the farm by one means or another as soon as they were old enough.  Except for one who actually liked farming.  But nobody liked him so, after living long enough to acquire the moniker "Old Man Pharqueson", he died a childless bachelor and his surviving family members, now all city-slickers, wanted nothing from the old farm except their share of the money for selling it off.

Selling the place proved to be a problem. By now the land mostly grew weeds and the cattle had stomped the upper layers of loess into a concrete-like slab, so it was useless for most agricultural purposes.  But it was too far away from the nearest city, which itself was too small to have many jobs, to be attractive for residential development as a bedroom community.  This same lack of regional population also scuppered schemes for building an industrial park, a factory for Japanese cars, a nuclear power plant, or anything else useful.  Thus, eventually the property went up for auction and was purchased by an anonymous buyer for the pittance it actually was worth.

Most locals assumed the buyer was a rich lawyer or construction contractor from Natchez or Vicksburg, or even a Louisiana politician, who wanted a hunting camp to entertain important clients.  They expected that the fields, which had been laboriously cleared by hand so long ago, would soon return to forest.  This had happened to many old farms in the general area over the past couple of decades.

But the locals couldn't have been more wrong.  Their worst nightmare, so terrifying that it hadn't even formed a coherent thought in their minds yet, was about to come true.  Pharqueson Farms had been purchased by a former NFL #1 draft pick who had been forced into retirement at the age of 25 due to repeated concussions.  As he had hundreds of millions of dollars in guaranteed money and only a fraction of his brain cells remaining,  and being too young to care, he thought it would be a good idea to build a theme park in this place.  And he also thought Bullethead Sweatshop Industries was the best contractor for the job.

-----------------------------------------------

Bullethead casually side-stepped several canebrake rattlesnakes and wished each one good hunting as he made his way across the nascent construction site.  None of them rattled at him, tacit admission that they knew he knew how to behave himself.  While Bullethead had never actually lived here, he'd spent way more time than he cared to admit about an hour's drive to the south down Highway 61, in an even more benighted place, so knew how to see snakes with his peripheral vision.  Glance down for snakes and wash-unders, take 2 steps rolling the foot on 2 axes so as to make no sound while glancing up to avoid widow-makers, poison ivy, thorns, and spider webs, glance down again, repeat, all the while keeping the other eye, the ears, and the nostrils looking everywhere else.  This was the essential rhythm of life as part of the food chain in this part of the world, even for the top predator.

As yet, the goings-on here were the responsibility of the local powers.  "Mister Ed" (MRED, Mississippi Rural Electrical District--a fictional entity but a sarcastic colloquialism) and MDOT (Mississippi Department of Transportation--a real thing) were taking care of the site preparation, upgrading both the local electrical grid and road network.  It would still be a while before BSI had anything to do itself, so Bullethead's battered and much-travelled trailer office hadn't yet been reclaimed from the Lake Planco junkyard, let alone towed down here.

To date, MDOT had widened MS 642 in front of the property to include turn lanes controlled by a traffic light.

And Mr. Ed had built the necessary 3-phase substation with 100% redundancy and on-site back-up generators, while upgrading the powerline to match.

There was even some preliminary work being done on the parking lot, but Bullethead paid it no mind.  He'd change all that soon enough.  Meanwhile, he mulled over his vague ideas of how to build a park here.  The topography, although mostly flat and open, would still pose challenges.  Not least of which was the need for a sewage plant as the local infrastructure had nothing of the sort for miles up or down State Highway 642.  Even the old Pharqueson farmhouse, which had been declared an historic structure that must be preserved, had used a septic tank (the green disk next to the propane tank--see 1st pic).

Still, some general ideas were already forming in Bullethead's addled brain.  He could already see the vague outlines of the park's areas and was already thinking of how he could work in his catalog of off-the-shelf coasters.

It was still too early, however, to move in Jaysef, Gergas, and Orbles.  They were still tying up loose ends in Nepal.  Hopefully, the police there had more important things to worry about, just as they did everywhere else.  But they'd be needed here soon.  Bullethead walked back to his rented 4WD pickup listening to the cackle of the crow spirits with his 3rd ear.   They were everywhere here and had been forever so they hadn't been attracted by this project.  Thus, their presence wasn't a bad omen, or even an omen at all.  Maybe.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:08 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
Re: Pharqueson Farms Episode 1: Infrastructure
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 06:28 PM »
I will give a right proper review but first.... why Did i just sound british? and second... HOW DO YOU DO THIS STUFF?!?!?!?!?
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Hold on  - need to go get a cup of cocoa and cookies to read through this one.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 07:57 PM »
HOW DO YOU DO THIS STUFF?!?!?!?!?

Well, first, despite trying hard to prevent it, I've somehow manged to live long enough to become a cynical and jaded old bastard.  As a result, I can't help but view all creation as merely the sarcasm of the gods, intricately designed simply to mock any lifeform which has the urge to ask "why?', to teach them their proper place.

Second, I drink like it was still the Age of Reason.

Third, I already made the base map months ago in an unsuccessful bid to have it used in the 2018 SGW Summer Contest so haven't really done much yet :).

Hold on  - need to go get a cup of cocoa and cookies to read through this one.

Don't worry, nothing to see yet, if ever :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:59 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12 PM »
I enjoyed reading your setup for this park. A thorough but concise history of the Pharqueson farm. I like how you included current cultural memes into the story: the idea of building a Japanese car factory; NFL concussions, etc.

I love the overgrown 'beaters' rusting away in the field. Are they to be preserved as part of the historic structure (like the septic tank)? :D

The electric substation looks all electric-y and substation-y.

Not sure what's all included in the Entry Buildings area of your map. Ticket windows, stroller rentals and such?

With that exceedingly young retired NFL player's millions of dollars (and considerably fewer brain cells), Pharqueson Farms should turn out to be a wacky (and dangerous?) destination.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 07:14 AM »
I love the overgrown 'beaters' rusting away in the field. Are they to be preserved as part of the historic structure (like the septic tank)? :D

Even though I changed the backstory a bit, I'm playing this with the restrictions i put on the map for the 2018 Summer Pre-Contest (here's the original post).  So the only thing that has to stay on the map is the farmhouse, although it can be moved elsewhere on the map and spruced up.  However, the junk vehicles could find their way into queue scenery somewhere as that seems to be a thing with farm-themed parks in general ;).  I'm thinking of keeping the barn, too.  Gotta have a petting zoo in the kiddie area.

The electric substation looks all electric-y and substation-y.

Thanks!  I think it came out rather well.  I might blueprintize it after a few tweaks.

Not sure what's all included in the Entry Buildings area of your map. Ticket windows, stroller rentals and such?

Yeah, that's the idea.  Plus the all-important park entry gates and an info booth.  Then there'll be a pedestrian bridge over the highway.  Due to the Indian mound in this area, I might have to expand the entry area a bit, shrinking the parking lot a bit.  We'll have to see.  I think I'll build this area next, then make the parking lot fit it instead of the other way around like I've been doing.

With that exceedingly young retired NFL player's millions of dollars (and considerably fewer brain cells), Pharqueson Farms should turn out to be a wacky (and dangerous?) destination.

That's the idea.  I'm much better at satire than being serious ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:46 AM »
Amazing! Beautiful work on the scenery. Can't wait for more!

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Glad to see you back writing on this forum (creative writing, not documentation writing). this is some great stuff here and glad to see you doing something with this land. Can't wait for more.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Amazing! Beautiful work on the scenery. Can't wait for more!

Thank you very much!  Most of that scenery, of course, is going to be plowed under as the park is built :).

Glad to see you back writing on this forum (creative writing, not documentation writing). this is some great stuff here and glad to see you doing something with this land. Can't wait for more.

I agree, I can spin enough BS with writing to cover the inadequacies of my building ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Well, I enjoy the writing AND the building, so carry on!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:46 PM »
Well, I enjoy the writing AND the building, so carry on!

You must be totally snowbound ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 04:34 PM »
I FINALLY sat down to read the whole back story.  I love it, buddy!  This is going to be a great project!   :yes:

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Man, I used to think like this nfl guy [still do] walking by a country club back in illinois, I would think, "all that space, I could design a theme park in there and STILL have space left over for a game of golf!"

Glad he's got the funds to do so, but does he have enough left upstairs to see it through?

It is too late to talk me out of being excited for this, now you are on the spot... your move!
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 08:40 PM »
I FINALLY sat down to read the whole back story.  I love it, buddy!  This is going to be a great project!   :yes:

I'm envisioning more of a slow-motion disaster, like the Big Rain of 2016.  ::)

It is too late to talk me out of being excited for this, now you are on the spot... your move!

Well, I put a lot of work into this map to begin with so I feel committed to making something out of it.  But as you're new to PC, I must warn you that I completely suck at park design so don't get your hopes up for anything  of quality.  But see, I've already covered my ass there by blaming all this on the passing whims of somebody with way more money than sense, and casting myself in the role of the humble, immoral, unethical construction contractor doing what I'm told to make the customer happy while cutting every imaginable corner :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 12:01 PM »
EPISODE 2:  More Infrastructure

Bullethead dusted off his bib overalls, scraped the manure off his brogans, pushed back his battered straw hat, and wiped the sweat from his brow.  He was wearing nothing else and felt rather itchy because of it (or maybe that was the fleas), but he was trying to blend in.  Then he spit out his chaw of Bull Durham and clomped up the steps of his road-worn trailer office, which definitely blended in here.  Inside, already seated around the much-abused card table, were his 3 principle assistants, the Kerbals Jaysef, Gergas, and Orbles, all similarly attired, even though they would never blend in.  The table was piled with drawings and photos, and there was a mason jar of clear liquid at each place.

Raising his mason jar, Bullethead offered a toast:  "To the start of another project!"  The 4 of them clinked jars and carefully sipped the contents.  It felt slippery in the back of the mouth, the same way bleach makes your fingers feel because it's dissolving your skin, but that just made it go down easier.  The liquid had the vague aroma of antifreeze and slight hints of the flavors of garden hose, rust, and charcoal appreciated by discerning consumers of moonshine.  Bullethead could already feel the top of his skull trying to waft away in the breeze from the ceiling fan.  Ah, that's the good stuff!

"Gentlemen," Bullethead began, "you all look ridiculous in those outfits."

"Well, Sir," Jaysef answered, "it's so nice to work in a place where alien spacecraft and little green men are an accepted part of daily life.  Everybody here made us feel so welcome we wanted them to know we felt like we were at home."

"Be careful with that, guys," Bullethead said as he took another sip.  "If anybody turns up missing or cows get mutilated, there might be a lynch mob showing up at our door."  The Kerbals clearly hadn't considered that and looked nervous.  Bullethead let them stew a bit.

"Anyway," he finally continued, "what sort of normal stuff has been going on here so far?"

Gergas shuffled the pile of documents and ultimately produced a couple of photos.  "Well, Sir, we've pretty much got the backstage area built.  In fact, the warehouses are already starting to take deliveries.  Here's the security gate at the entrance and an overview of this area."

"I hasten to add", Orbles interjected, "that these mundane structures aren't considered 'normal' by the locals.  There's no industry here at all.  Most folks here haven't ever seen a parking lot, let alone a warehouse, so we had to explain the whole concept to the laborers."

"I'm not really surprised," said Bullethead.  "I used to live a bit south of here.  It's the same story there, thanks to the local Hysterical Society."  He took another sip and muttered curses on that outfit.  "So tell me about the warehouses..."

Gergas spoke up.  "Well, Sir, first after the employee parking is the cold storage building.  So far, the temperature's holding well enough that those burger patties should still be good in a few years when we finally open this park.  However, this building requires constant security to keep the locals from stealing the refrigeration tubing for their stills."

"Well, we'll be building a wall around this whole complex anyway," Bullethead mused.  "Mostly to hide it from sight of the rest of the park.  But we'll have to put barbed wire on it, it sounds like.  Maybe buy some big, mean dogs, too.  Oh well, next?"

"This is the dry storage warehouse, Sir," Gergas continued.  "Nothing fancy.  Then, Sir, there's the mechanic shop, which is already doing some business."

"How did we wreck a tour bus when the park isn't even open yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?"  Bullethead demanded.

Nobody spoke for a moment.  Finally, Jaysef said, "Um, well, Sir, I was interviewing the applicants for the driver job.  When I asked one of them if he could drive, he said, 'Hol' mah beer an' watch this!'  So I did.  He disappeared across the pasture in a cloud of cow chips and dust.  After a while, there was thump in the distance and a column of smoke soon appeared over the trees on the hillside.  So I finished the rest of the beer, thinking he had no further use of it."

Bullethead put his elbows on the table and cradled his face in his hands.  After a few moments, he took another sip from his jar and shook his head (very carefully, because it was feeling only semi-attached by now).  "I was afraid this would happen.  Our employer wanted to hire locally.  I told him that was a bad idea.  He insisted.  Maybe now he'll reconsider.  Oh well, what's next?"

Orbles now took up the tale.  "This magnificent creation, Sir, is the first wastewater treatment plant in the county.  There is no sewage infrastructure at all, nor much of any other kind, anywhere near here.  As we were building from scratch, we went for the fancy, complete mix, constant aeration version because it took up the least room and space is at a premium on this project.  I could go into all the technicalities, Sir, but they're only new and strange to the locals.  Even the local EPA inspector had never seen anything like it."

"Finally, Sir," Jaysef continued, "we have the first profitable venture in this project:  the water tower.  As you know, Sir, the local water system is totally inadequate even for a small trailer park, let alone an amusement park.  So we had to drill water wells, add treatment for that, and build a water tower.  We put the tower on the highest ground on the property so the pressure here is now excellent.  The tower holds 450,000 gallons, way more than we need, so we sell the rest to the county.  And also, we put cell phone antennae on the tower not only to provide coverage here, but also to generate more income from the rent."

Bullethead looked out the window at the tower on the hill.  It really didn't look any worse than countless others across the country.  After a couple more sips from his jar, he decided it wasn't the eyesore he'd been afraid it would be, so wouldn't need camouflage paint.

"Well, Gentlemen," Bullethead said as he unsteadily sat back down at the table, "if worst comes to worst, we can still go with the industrial park project if the theme park doesn't pan out.  And I'm sure the locals are thankful that more than 2 people in a trailer park can take showers at the same time now, in separate trailers anyway.  Assuming they actually take showers.  But it will be nice to build actual park-type stuff.  Hopefully we can start some of that next."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:29 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Pharqueson Farms Episode 2: More Infrastructure
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Ha! I really like the humor in your story, BH. Somehow, I always picture the Kerbals as looking like the Minions. :o  I'm also looking forward to seeing the park-like stuff being built now.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Ha! I really like the humor in your story, BH. Somehow, I always picture the Kerbals as looking like the Minions. :o  I'm also looking forward to seeing the park-like stuff being built now.

Thanks!

There's actually a mod for KSP which turns Kerbals into Minions.  Problem is, it does that to ALL Kerbals (or at least did the last time I checked) and  I prefer them as they are for the most part.  However, I did once use a mod that added a few extra ones that looked like characters from "My Little Pony", as the only way to get another intelligent race into a story I was telling in KSP.

If you're familiar with Kerbals, then you know that when I leave them running a project while I'm off jet-setting around the world trying to stay 1 step ahead of the process servers, explosions might happen.  And these 3 Kerbals in particular are a bit more addled, and darker, than most, being 2 survivors and 1 casualty (how he's here I have no idea) of the not-quite-totally-ill-fated 2nd Sarnus Expedition.   If you're interested in reading that yarn, you can find its starting point here.  NOTE:  The title of each episode is a link to a video intended to provide mood music while reading the episode.  Wish I could do that here without the video always being embedded.

Anyway, it's time to get my redneck on and start building a farm-themed park.  I'm rather afraid that "petting" zoo might have other connotations in this part of the world....

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Quote: "...that looked like characters from "My Little Pony"

Well, at least they didn't look like Hello Kitty characters.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Quote: "...that looked like characters from "My Little Pony"
Well, at least they didn't look like Hello Kitty characters.

There's more than 1 of those?  May the Dark Gods help us!  I never knew.  I just see the namesake on my little nieces' backpacks and such :D

But that's an interesting idea.  Now I'll have to research HK to see if there are any characters who'd make a good Public Information Officer for BSI.  Applicants must be snarky, cynical, and able to mention the unmentionable as if it was normal and expected, or at least somebody else's fault ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 07:10 AM »
great story and the infrastructure build is looking great

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17 AM »
Loving your backstory and how you are developing the land. I went in an entirely different direction when I asked you last year if I could use your map. I was looking to make a trolley type park from the 20s or 30s.

Very impressed how you are thinking this whole thing through, including electrical grid, sewage, the whole nine yards.

I'm really looking forward to your updates!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Really love your infrastructure! Your water tower in particular! Very smart move renting it out to the cell companies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 12:29 PM »
great story and the infrastructure build is looking great

Thank you very much!

Loving your backstory and how you are developing the land. I went in an entirely different direction when I asked you last year if I could use your map. I was looking to make a trolley type park from the 20s or 30s.

Thank you very much!  I hope to see more of that trolly park :).

BTW, you never need to ask to use my Workshop stuff.  It's there for folks to use and abuse if they want :).

Really love your infrastructure! Your water tower in particular! Very smart move renting it out to the cell companies

Thanks!  I think that water tower came out pretty well if I do say so myself ;).

My fire department got into the cell tower rental business a couple years ago.  They wanted to build a tower, we had some space in the back yard of one of our stations, so we let them build it there and don't charge them much rent.  This is because a condition of the deal was that we could hang some of our own radio gear on the tower.  We were about to have to build our own tower for that.  But then the cell phone company came along.  So we got the tower built for free and our radios up there, and we make a little money on the side ;).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:33 PM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Quote from BH: "If you're familiar with Kerbals..."

Actually, I'm not. The first time I heard of them was when you mentioned them in another thread- maybe it was during the Summer competition. At that time, I googled "Kerbal Space Program" and saw that it was a simulation game where, I think, you build a spaceship and man it with a Kerbal crew? I also saw a few images of Kerbals. But my knowledge of KSP is only as deep as a Kerbal's skin. (Do Kerbals even have skin? As Sgt. Schultz would say: "I know nothing!")

From what I gather, Kerbals and Minions seem to fill the same niche- they're industrious little guys who do your bidding. They even look a lot alike. I think Minions pre-date Kerbals a bit; I wonder if the creators of KSP based them on Minions?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 06:30 PM »
From what I gather, Kerbals and Minions seem to fill the same niche- they're industrious little guys who do your bidding. They even look a lot alike. I think Minions pre-date Kerbals a bit; I wonder if the creators of KSP based them on Minions?

From what I can tell, Kerbals predate Minions by several decades.  They stemmed from the childhood games of a guy growing up in Mexico long ago.  He had ready access to fireworks and toy soldiers, and was fascinated by the whole space race thing.  So, he created an imaginary alien world inhabited by little green men he called "Kerbals" (IOW, his toy soldiers) who were obsessed with space.  And he played this out by taping toy soldiers to bottle rockets and recording the results in a diary, and writing of their adventures.  Along the way, he filled sketchbooks with drawings of what Kerbals really looked like, developing characters in his universe, etc.  When he grew up, he went to work for a Mexican business software company that had nothing whatsoever to do with games.  But he somehow convinced his upper management to create a games division to pursue his personal dreams of making the Kerbal universe into a game.  He knew nothing of making games but went ahead anyway, learning as he went.  And thus KSP was born.  Along with its unofficial motto, "Failure isn't an option, it's standard equipment!"  :up:

So, the general shtick in KSP is pretend everything is the idea of the Kerbals and you're just the humble narrator of a series of unfortunate events.  After all, "failure isn't an option..." :D  But it's hard not to become caught up in their obsession with space, so that their ultimate triumphs, even if only partial, are reason enough to go on a week-long bender.  It's just as much work to send a bunch of Kerbals to a distant gas giant and do a reasonably thorough job exploring all its moons as it is building a wall-to-wall park.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2019, 07:12 PM »
I guess what I meant was that Minions pre-date KSP by a little bit (about a year or so, I think). I wasn't at all aware of the ancient history of Kerbal-dom. The description of how they came about is hilarious. Sounds like something me and my brothers would've done; except we didn't have access to bottle rockets. I'm sure we would have improvised something... sparklers, anyone?

So, reworking my previous question, I wonder if the Minions were based upon Kerbals?

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 06:37 AM »
Love it how you took the time to write the story. Very nice writing style ;)

Those screens look like pics, the realism is too dam high.
Very curious to what the future brings!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13 AM »
So, reworking my previous question, I wonder if the Minions were based upon Kerbals?

Well, the general idea of an evil mad scientist creating a race of artificial creatures of slaves goes back a long, long way.  I mean, HG Wells wrote The Island of Dr. Moreau way back in 1896, possibly the 1st example, and then there was Karol Čapek's R. U. R.  in 1920, from which we get the word "robot".  Despicable Me's Minions are just a recent version of this idea. 

That said, Despicable Me came out in 2010 and the 1st public beta of KSP came out in 2011.

Love it how you took the time to write the story. Very nice writing style ;)

Well, I have to do that because my actual work is not entertaining at all, so I have to insult it ;).

Those screens look like pics, the realism is too dam high.
Very curious to what the future brings!

Thanks :).  I did crib the backstage buildings from my summer contest park, with only minor tweaks.  The major pain of the realism stuff is making the power lines with the currently hosed state of the 3D gizmo's relative axes.  I sure hope that fix that soon.

As to what's next, I'm currently working on the park entrance complex.  This has the usual stuff:  ticket windows, priority pass, lockers, strollers, and a restroom and snack bar.  It also has a big bridge to get peeps across the highway into the park proper.  Then there's the old Indian mound in this area that I'm having to work around.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Question: which online bookshop sells your background story?  :D
I find it fabulous! Really enjoying the story progress. Would like to see more :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Question: which online bookshop sells your background story?  :D
I find it fabulous! Really enjoying the story progress. Would like to see more :)

Thanks ;)

As to the background story, it's just real life where I live (an hour or 2 down US Hwy 61 from where I imagine this park to be).  Up until the War Between the States, this region was actually about the richest place in the whole US.  It remained fairly prosperous, although on a downhill slide, until the early 1900s.  Then a series of disasters, such as the boll weevil, the Great Flood of 1927, and the Great Depression impoverished the region completely.  Then WW2 came and very few of that generation returned.  Some died but most got an education out of it and left for greener pastures.   If they ever came back, it was when they retired, and then they just wanted hunting camps, not farms.  As the sole industry of the area had previously been agriculture, this pretty much eliminated the last vestiges of the regional economy.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page