Pharqueson Farms Episode 5: The Fairgrounds

• 83 replies

Offline HardPunkKore

• Suspect5.bandcamp.com
    • View Profile
Re: Pharqueson Farms Episode 4: Down on Mainstreet
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Love the look of this park so far. Very photogenic! Great back story! Can't wait for more.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2019, 02:20 PM »
I love how your parks always have such rich histories and storylines. Nearly every single ride and building has a story. (And usually quite humorous). Nearly every single element placed in the park, from rides, shops, and eateries, down to each tree or shrub, has a reason for being there. (Or so you'd have us believe.) Your threads are always entertaining, as well as your comments on other's threads. Your contributions to the forum are truly a boon to SGW.

Btw, no fair confusing me by posting the first shot from another game.  :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Love the look of this park so far. Very photogenic! Great back story! Can't wait for more.

Thank you very much!  Glad you like.

But looks, I don't tell "stories" here.  That is, there is no evolving historical narrative, there are no protagonists, and there is definitely no plot.  All I do is make excuses for how crappy my stuff is whle cleverly shifting the blame to my imaginary minions who are left unsupervised during my binges  :euro:

I love how your parks always have such rich histories and storylines. Nearly every single ride and building has a story. (And usually quite humorous). Nearly every single element placed in the park, from rides, shops, and eateries, down to each tree or shrub, has a reason for being there. (Or so you'd have us believe.) Your threads are always entertaining, as well as your comments on other's threads. Your contributions to the forum are truly a boon to SGW.

Honestly, I don't know what to say to this, Sir.  I am deeply humbled and also very glad you don't think I'm a waste of space in your forums.  Thanks for letting me pitch my tent in SGW and I hope to keep up with the rent ;).

Btw, no fair confusing me by posting the first shot from another game.  :P

Hehehe, if you have any latent redneck or gearhead genes at all, you should definitely check out MSC.  This game is so much what my own life at that age was, even 15 years earlier and in the States instead of Finland.  You might even be a source of PC inspiration.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2019, 03:35 PM »
I know I haven't been around much lately, but HOW THE FRIG HAVE I MISSED THIS!!!!?

Of course, while reading all the excellent backstory, some chortling may have occurred, but again, let's not let the humour take away from another excellent park by BHI. There's some great design and fabulous structures  here. The churn is inspired and it complements the other (contrasting) buildings. They all sit so well together.
And all the backstage and infrastructure stuff is super-duper too. I will raise a glass (or 5) to this great park next time I don't have to be up for work in the morning and we are both up late  talking bollocks on Steam ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 05:35 AM »
I know I haven't been around much lately, but HOW THE FRIG HAVE I MISSED THIS!!!!?

Probably because my attempt to be rather low-profile has succeeded ;).

Thanks for all the compliments and yes, we definitely need to have another drunken evening ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53 PM »
Such a great park!!! And I love the story (as always)... And the Gas station is such a brilliant build!!! :o
But what almost most catched my eyes is that genuine green lantern (street lamp)!!! :love: (I so much like all kinds of street lamps...)
And the Anaconda is pure perfection!!!
Can't wait to see more!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:57 PM by corkscrewloop »
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 05:08 AM »
That thing where you see a thread is getting new comments so you anxiously click because you assume a new update was posted...   :'(

[sigh.]  I'll go back to my corner and wait patiently.   :P

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2019, 07:54 AM »
Such a great park!!! And I love the story (as always)... And the Gas station is such a brilliant build!!! :o
But what almost most catched my eyes is that genuine green lantern (street lamp)!!! :love: (I so much like all kinds of street lamps...)
And the Anaconda is pure perfection!!!
Can't wait to see more!!!

Thanks :).  The streetlights are from Bbordewyk's various huge sets.  Highly recommended.  The Anaconda is one of my own life-size coaster replicas.  Pretty soon, there will be bleachers made of your wonderful beams ;).

That thing where you see a thread is getting new comments so you anxiously click because you assume a new update was posted...   :'(

Hehehe, thanks for your interest.  To save you further disappointment, you'll notice the thread title change to "Episode 5" when I publish an update :)

Here's why this is taking a while...   My intent was simply to build the next area, which is directly behind the mainstreet thing and beside the warehouses.  This in itself is fairly straightforward.  The problem came when I decided to put a chairlift in this area to go the area in the back left corner.  Due to space constraint in that area, this required first building the main coasters in that area and running the access roads so I knew where I could put the other chairlift station.  This area also has a train that goes to the area in the area in the front left corner (across the highway from the electrical substation) where the space is even more limited.  And of course the train had to negotiate the coasters in the area where it started.

So long story short, I've pretty much had to lay out all the rest of the park just to be able to build the one area I actually wanted to build :).  And doing that has kept me so far from doing much on this next area itself ;).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2019, 08:05 AM »
Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about, where you want to build a thing but can't build it until you build other things.  But happy to hear you're still problem-solving your way through this, which means more story is imminent.  :P

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about, where you want to build a thing but can't build it until you build other things.  But happy to hear you're still problem-solving your way through this, which means more story is imminent.  :P

Well, that took longer than even I expected.  Partly because it was a lot of work, partly because other stuff happened.  But I finally got it done so here we go.....

(Actually, it was done last night and I got about half-way through writing it, then accidentally closed the wrong tab and lost it all  :facepalm: )

EPISODE 5:  The Fairgrounds

There was a light in the sky and a sonic boom.  Shortly afterwards, strange lights were seen, strange noises heard, and strange odors sniffed around the Pharqueson Farms construction site.  The locals assumed it was just another routine UFO landing and paid this no more mind than they would a log truck going by with a flat tire.  And in this they were quite correct.  Bullethead brushed the interstellar dust from his bare shoulders (he was wearing only bib overalls and a straw hat), plucked a grass seedhead to chew on, and hiked towards his battered trailer office across the ongoing archaeological dig that would maybe someday be Pharqueson Farms' parking lot.  The digging had not reduced the number of rattlesnakes in the area.  Maybe pavement would.

Bullethead's minions department heads, alerted by these goings on, had already rushed to get the office ready for a meeting.  As usual, the much-stained card table was buried under a stack of documents and pictures, and fresh mason jars of the local corn squeezin's were at each place.  The Kerbals wore their usual expressions of disinterested interest, or maybe it was interested disinterest, Bullethead was never sure which.  What was unusual was that, as Bullethead was sitting down, Jaysef spoke without being spoken to, even attempting a joke.

"How are you doing, you old sot?  Er, I mean, how are things going back on the old sod, Sir?"

Bullethead took a long, slow sip from his jar while eyeing Jaysef coldly.  "Do watch that, Jaysef.  Don't make me send you all back to the Circus.  My co-avatar in your universe is not as forgiving as myself."  Bullethead paused while all the Kerbals cringed appropriately.  "But anyway, Kerbin still orbits its star as always.  There have been a few more supernovae but your kinfolks have made some important new developments anyway.  You'd hardly recognize the place.  Walking robots everywhere and there's a new fashion craze of wearing glow strips as if dressed for a rave.  But that's by the by.  On my way down just now, I saw you all have made lots of progress in my absence.  What's the status these days?"

"Sir," Jaysef answered, "I am pleased to report that we've finally, after much struggle and bloodshed, finally completed the Fairgrounds area.  Here's an overview, Sir."

"As you might recall," Jaysef continued, "this is a family-oriented area themed around a typical country fair.  As such, most of the space is occupied by a large stockshow barn, which is the best we could do towards making the petting zoo originally planned.  This is surrounded by 4 flat rides with a the major attractions further afield.  It's all rather a bare spot on the map, Sir, because this old, worn-out pasture is all hardpan so little can grow there but weeds, Sir, although we did manage to get some invasive, hard-scrabble, shrubby trees to root.  They'll probably take over the region in a few years, Sir."

Bullethead took another sip.  "Yes, this doesn't sound like much so should have been finished long since.  But as I recall, there were issues with placing the chairlift station."

"Correct, Sir."  All the Kerbals took healthy sips at the memory.  Jaysef then continued, "The other end of the chairlift is in what will become the 'big kid' Hillbilly Hollow area in the back corner of the park.  Space is tight there due to the large coasters needed, and more space is taken by the train going to the future River World area (we're still working on a better name for that).  So basically, Sir, putting the chairlift in the Fairgrounds forces us essentially to rough out most of the rest of the park, including building the big coasters and the train.  This is where all the time went, Sir, but on the bright side, we've got a good head start on the next area.  Here's an pre-overview of the remainder of the park so far, Sir."

"Damn," Bullethead swore.  "You lads have been quite busy.  Those rides are much bigger than anything I thought we could fit on this map.  Hopefully the Hillbilly Hollow area will be more fun.  OK, back to the present.  Give me the rundown on the Fairgrounds."

Jaysef shuffled some papers and finally got to the point of this update.  "Here, Sir, is the entrance to the new Fairgrounds area.  Customers cross the access road behind the Chukushmi mainstreet area and are greeted with this sight.  The archway is tall enough for fire engines to pass under, Sir."

"Speaking of fire protection, Sir, the area of course has numerous hydrants.  However, the nature of the structures means that most of them have remote FDCs for their sprinkler systems.  Due to the near-absence of vegetation, these (along with benches and bins) are one of the main types of scenery objects in this area, Sir."

Bullethead shrugged and took another sip.  "Well, at least the fire marshal can't complain, as he usually does, that we buried the hydrants under bushes this time.  So show me these flats."

"Yes, Sir," Jaysef continued.  "For the most part, sir, we tried, with partial success, to spruce the rides up with queue features to compensate for the lack of bushes.  This made the area seem more permanent, instead of hosting a travelling show as originally intended.  But oh well, Sir.  First up is the 'Scrambler', immediately to the left as the customers enter the Fairgrounds.  As this is our client's favorite ride, we did a bit more for it than the others.  For example, it's the only ride in this area with a shaded queue, Sir.  This pic also shows some products of suppliers old and new.  Our relationship with BALLS continues, as you can see from the streetlight.  In addition, we now have awnings from xRBz and bin covers from MacGyverill.  Fishman clued us in to these suppliers, as well as many more you'll see in other pics."

Bullethead nodded and took another sip.  "I almost don't totally dislike that.  Mostly because the Scrambler is one of my favorites, too.  If that was any other ride, I'd probably hate it.  What's next?"

Jaysef continued.  "Well, Sir, continuing clockwise around the barn, we have a paratrooper ride.  Due to the inability to paint the umbrellas different colors, we were at first at a loss for how to theme it.  But eventually, we took inspiration from the weedy ground and called it 'Dandelion', Sir.  And to make sure nobody missed the point, Sir, I built some giant dandelion sculptures out front and used them to hide machines that fill the air with dandelion seeds.  That last was probably overkill as there are plenty here naturally, but it does make the area more eye-catching, Sir."

"Eye-catching sounds right, Jaysef," Bullethead said.  "Customers will be getting those seeds in their eyes constantly.  But hey, that means we can sell more cheap, ridiculously marked-up sunglasses.  So I approve.  Next?"

"Continuing clockwise, Sir, is 'Cropdusters'," Jaysef continued.  "This is just the usual plane ride but we parked a truck full of agricultural poisons next to the queue and rigged some fog machines under the planes to give the illusion that they're spraying.  It's basically a knock-off of what we did on Quarantine Island, Sir, only here it's just fog, not actual vintage DDT.  We left the ground weedy to give the impression of an actual farm field in this region, too, Sir."

"The creativity bucket has gone to the well once too often, I see."  Bullethead shook his head and took another sip.  "It was bound to happen someday.  Oh well.  Anything else?"

"Yes, Sir," Jaysef said.  "The final flat, back around by the entrance to the area, is a grand carousel.  Here, I built a glitzy gazebo-like thing around it, Sir.  It's got too much open space, especially in the roof, to be an actual ride skin, Sir.  It's mostly just a frame to hang horrific Victorian excrescences and blinky lights on, Sir."

Bullethead shuddered and took another sip.  "Geez, Jaysef, that's even uglier than usual for such things.  But hey, apparently folks expect that with the carousels.  I see it's not scaring all the customers away.  So I guess it'll have to do.  OK, now we've danced all around the central barn.  Time to see that, I guess.  That was your main project, wasn't it, Gergas?"  Bullethead shuddered and sipped again.

Gergas began with an external view.  "Yes, Sir.  Here's the end confronting the customers as they enter the Fairgrounds, Sir.  As you can see, Sir, this is just a large metal pole barn."

"That looks totally drab and boring," Bullethead observed.  "But that's exactly what we need here.  Continue."

"Yes, Sir.  Anyway, Sir, there really is a stockshow here, both as a wannabe petting zoo for the park, and then an actual stockshow for the locals during the off-season.  The pens are in the corners while the central area has the snackbar on the ground floor and the park offices upstairs, Sir.  At present, Sir, 3 local ranchers have animals on display.  On the nearer end of the barn are cattle from Blackmanshadow, complete with manure and flies.  He really needs to come by and clean that up, Sir.  Fortunately, a lot of LouNap211's fans keep keep the stench tolerable, Sir."

"I'll have to make sure the janitorial staff knows that shoveling shit is now part of their job, same as mopping puke.  And I'll start by firing that guy who's just walking by without doing anything about it.  Must be a city-slicker.  Anyway, get on with this."

"Yes, Sir.  At the other end of the barn are some of RedNebula's horses.  And along the side towards Chukushmi are Cakeheke's chickens.  Customers can try to pet any of these, and even pay to feed the chickens, Sir.  On the opposite side from the chickens are some picnic tables to support the snackbar, Sir, but these can be stored away when livestock need more space.  The snackbar sells water, juice, hotdogs, and boudin, Sir, but I seem to have misplaced my pic of that, Sir."

"Boudin?  Excellent choice!  That just barely makes going to such a place bearable.  But tell me, how does all this livestock get in here?"

"Well, Sir," Gergas continued, "as required by the fire code, fire engines can drive all around this barn.  Which means so can pickup trucks pulling livestock trailers.  And there's a parking area for this on the side with the chickens, Sir.  Here, you can see a couple of Wings & Strings trucks with such trailers.  The trailers have components made by CorkScrewLoop (the fenders and the horse trailer neck) and ArtificialArtist (safety chains on horse trailer).

"Strange that RedNebula and BlackManShadow would leave their trucks here.  You'd think they'd need them back on their ranches.  We must be paying them way too much to display their stock.  I'll have to look into that.  But what's that monstrosity in the background?"

At this, all the Kerbals took deep swigs from their jars.  When he could see straight again, Gergas replied, "That, Sir, is the cause of all our recent misery, the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned chairlift station.  And besides all the park layout problems and extra work it entailed, Sir, there was also the question of how to theme it appropriately for this area.  Eventually, Sir, in keeping with the sort of "showcase of modern agriculture" vibe of the Fairgrounds, I decided to just throw a metal tractor shed-type structure around it.  I got a good deal on this from Cebism, Sir.  In the left background, Sir, you can see one of the water pumphouses, too, Sir.  And the fence behind the station has a gate in it for fire department access, Sir."

"Seriously?!?!?"  Bullethead choked on his moonshine.  "All that effort and delay over this station, and this is all we have to show for it?  It's  a disgrace!  Still, the building does look like what it's supposed to be.  Bland and boring.  Oh well."  Bullethead took another sip.  "Got anything else, Gergas?"

"Just one last thing, Sir."  Gergas seemed glad to have gotten over the rougher parts of his presentation.  "In the corner of the Fairgrounds next to the warehouses, I installed another of our off-the-shelf kiddie coasters.  This is our knock-off of the E$F Miler 24' Harvest Express, Sir.  The only one they ever built languishes unappreciated at Dixie Landin' but we've had rather more success selling our version.  I decided to call it the 'Tomato Hornworm' in keeping with the agricultural theme, Sir, and repainted it, but then found I couldn't obtain any tomato plants to put around it.  They'd have probably soon died in this poor soil anyway, though, Sir."

Bullethead rubbed his chin (he was by now drooling slightly) and considered the pic.  "Well, at least it seems to be doing decent business.  I've always thought this was a better coaster than most folks expect.  Anyway, we're down to you, Orbles.  What have you been up to?"

Orbles had had the most fun of the 3 this time.  "Sir!  My first project was making an alligator farm and reptile house in the far back corner of this area.  This can also be thought of as a wannabe petting zoo, Sir, although the safety fences will make that challenging.  Still, Sir, I expect at least some idiots to try it.  Anyway, Sir, the reptile house is actually the original Pharqueson barn dragged to this location.  And to make sure customers bother to walk all the way over there, the barn contains the only restrooms in the Fairgrounds, Sir.  Also, Sir, the pond has its own water treatment pond behind the barn, tying into the main system just across the access road.  The sturdy, probably gator-proof fence is from GrandpaMizery, Sir."

Orbles continued, "Also to encourage customers to visit the gator pit, Sir, is the fact that they might get to see one of our staff get eaten.  We actually have some local idiot doing the usual 'stupid gator tricks' show and there's a viewing platform from which to enjoy this spectacle, Sir.  Some of the friskier gators have been known to snap at customers on this platform, Sir."

"Ah, now that's more like it!"  Bullethead sat up and took notice.  "Yes, definitely my kind of attraction.  And I can always threaten disgruntled employees with gator pit duty to keep them in line.  Very good!  Anything else?"

"Thank you, Sir!  And yes, Sir, there's one more thing, the main attraction of the Fairground.  Sir, I present to you 'Dale's Dirt Track Racin'!'  This is just a simple, flat, unpaved oval go-cart track, Sir.  It's only marginally themed as is the way of such things, with bleachers from CorkScrewLoop, but it purports to be a shrine to St. Dale, a major figure in the local religion, Sir.  This attracts some worshipers spectators, the most ardent of whom arrive early and set up their Wings and Strings RVs in the infield, Sir.  However, the blowing dust keeps most away until dark, Sir, which is why the bleachers are currently empty.  Also, Sir, we rent the track out during our off-season as a test track for local hotrodders."

"Well, that looks disturbingly like a place I used to frequent in Elm Mott, Texas.  It looks quite good in that regard, although these are definitely not for everybody.  Especially with all the dust in the air.  Good thing we're in the heart of NASCAR country.  This wouldn't work anywhere else, I don't think.  Anything else?"

Jaysef finished the presentation.  "Only an overhead shot of the completed areas at night, Sir."

"Hmmph.  Not a lot to show for it yet.  OK, gentlemen, let's get on with Hillbilly Hollow next.  Or the parking lot, if the archaeologists ever leave.  It's a real pain having to bus in the customers from the nearest town.  It's really keeping business down.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bad case of UFO-lag and need to crash.  Meeting adjourned!"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:20 AM by Bullethead »
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Re: Pharqueson Farms Episode 5: The Fairgrounds
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 07:22 AM »
wow - great update. I had to get my own drink to sip while reading through this one. Great ride skins and theme ideas. I love it. The dirt track farts is awesome. this is a great park. How about Moonshine Creek, or something on those lines, for the name of the River World area?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2019, 09:41 AM »
wow - great update. I had to get my own drink to sip while reading through this one. Great ride skins and theme ideas. I love it. The dirt track farts is awesome. this is a great park. How about Moonshine Creek, or something on those lines, for the name of the River World area?

Well, thank you very much!  It would look better with your terrain-painting skills, due to so much terrain being visible :).  I tried to leave the impression of the old corn rows but really much of the open ground is parking lot and gets heavy foot traffic as well, so there's a lot of mostly dirt.  And is "dirt track farts" a Freudian slip or are you referring to the dust clouds? :D

"Moonshine Creek"...  Hmmmm....  That might work.  However, moonshine of course is going to be a major theme in the Hillbilly Hollow area.  I plan a distillery, one of the coasters is named "Bootlegger", etc.  So there might be too much of a good thing naming a whole area after moonshine.  Rednecks use rivers and lakes for fishing and driving boats way too fast, so I was thinking along those lines and/or river piracy, which used to be a big thing in this area.  I'm actually related to (not descended from because they were hanged) a number of such scumbags :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2019, 09:56 AM »
I love this update so much!  The animals look wonderful in their habitats (Planet Farm anyone?) and I LOVE the dirt track go-karts!!

What's inside the reptile house? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:59 AM by Fisherman »

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Well, thank you very much!  It would look better with your terrain-painting skills, due to so much terrain being visible :).  I tried to leave the impression of the old corn rows but really much of the open ground is parking lot and gets heavy foot traffic as well, so there's a lot of mostly dirt.  And is "dirt track farts" a Freudian slip or are you referring to the dust clouds? :D

"Moonshine Creek"...  Hmmmm....  That might work.  However, moonshine of course is going to be a major theme in the Hillbilly Hollow area.  I plan a distillery, one of the coasters is named "Bootlegger", etc.  So there might be too much of a good thing naming a whole area after moonshine.  Rednecks use rivers and lakes for fishing and driving boats way too fast, so I was thinking along those lines and/or river piracy, which used to be a big thing in this area.  I'm actually related to (not descended from because they were hanged) a number of such scumbags :).
LOL - that was supposed to be 'carts' - i guess I fat fingered it. I like the dirt cart track idea. I'm laughing and can't even type well right now. The Hillbilly reference is what made me think of the moonshine name....how about a 'back water' reference...???? I'm sure your creative writing mind can do better than anything I could ever come up with. I may paint ground well, but I really suck at naming things.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2019, 03:55 PM »
I love this update so much!  The animals look wonderful in their habitats (Planet Farm anyone?) and I LOVE the dirt track go-karts!!

Thank you very much!  I"m surprised folks like the go-carts.  I mean, there's no ride engineering there like that spiral one of yours.  Just go fast and turn left.  I mostly put it in as joke, yet another stereotypical redneck thing :)

Hehehe, "Plant Farm habitats" :D.  The cattle (and to some extent the chickens) are just on display while their sale price is haggled out, then off they go to become my supper :up:.  For the horses, although some might ultimately end up as dogfood, they're mostly just there briefly to be seen by city-slickers and perhaps sold to another collector.  American horses live in luxury.  They don't pull wagons anymore, they're hardly ever ridden, and it's something of a social taboo here (although not elsewhere) to eat them, despite that being the original reason for their domestication.  So mostly they're just wastes of fodder these days.

What's inside the reptile house?

A restroom cube, the back ends of the sign poles I made the FDC out of, the dead end of a fake path going to the back door, and nothing else.  No buildings in this park have detailed interiors yet and I hope to keep it that way, although maybe the future distillery will get one :)

LOL - that was supposed to be 'carts' - i guess I fat fingered it. I like the dirt cart track idea. I'm laughing and can't even type well right now. The Hillbilly reference is what made me think of the moonshine name....how about a 'back water' reference...???? I'm sure your creative writing mind can do better than anything I could ever come up with. I may paint ground well, but I really suck at naming things.

Hehehe. 

Anyway, the creek's name is the Little Chunky River (named for the old Indian game).  Now that I've dammed it, it could be Little Chunky Lake or Lake Pharqueson.  As area names go, those aren't any more generic than Fairgrounds, but I'd like something with a little more stereotyping :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Yay, a BH/Pharqueson Farms update! I still get a kick out of hearing about the progress of your park being told through the personas of the Kerbals.

I like the carousel skin. The extra large arches set it apart from others I've seen, which have narrower arches. I think the big arches give it a grander appearance. Our first glimpse of it, behind the hydrant, looks especially nice. And Dandelion is a perfect name for the paratrooper ride; even the spokes look like dandelion leaves. Love the weedy/dusty footprint of Cropdusters, and the big ol' truck-o-poison. The stock barn looks just like the one's at our local county fair. And of course, it receives the BH finishing touch of steaming manure and flies.

I rather like the look of the chairlift station. The sloping front façade gives it some flair (get it? 'flair'/'flare'... anyway...) I imagine St. Dale is looking down and smiling at the dirt track. I wonder if Dale Jr. was at the grand opening ceremonies?

Excellent update BH. :)  I probably spent almost as much time reading it as you did writing it (that was meant as a compliment :D). As for losing part of what you wrote, I periodically copy/paste my progress in a temp Notepad file in case I do something stupid like closing the wrong tab ;)  which I also have done. I learned my lesson.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Yay, a BH/Pharqueson Farms update! I still get a kick out of hearing about the progress of your park being told through the personas of the Kerbals.

And thank you for your detailed and very positive comments ;)

I like the carousel skin. The extra large arches set it apart from others I've seen, which have narrower arches. I think the big arches give it a grander appearance. Our first glimpse of it, behind the hydrant, looks especially nice. And Dandelion is a perfect name for the paratrooper ride; even the spokes look like dandelion leaves. Love the weedy/dusty footprint of Cropdusters, and the big ol' truck-o-poison. The stock barn looks just like the one's at our local county fair. And of course, it receives the BH finishing touch of steaming manure and flies.

Wow, I never thought anybody would like that carousel "gazebo".  It's intentionally minimalist as such things go, both so you can still see the ride (and see out from it) and also because the fewer parts, the less maintenance it will require, and this place ain't gonna get much of that :).  But mostly because I'm not an artist :)

Glad you like the 'Dandelion'.  I'm partial to that one myself because I was so stumped for so long and then, when I finally had an idea, I think the giant dandelions out front came out rather well.  I really wish the canopies could be done in different colors.  But OTOH, if that was possible, this would just have been your generic paratrooper.  That probably would have fit the fairgrounds theme better but I kinda like making this one distinctive.

I really need to come up with some theme for the airplane rides other than aerial spraying, but I just can't help causing the peeps some anxiety  about maybe being exposed to nasty chemicals :)  And I hope your local government doesn't come after me for stealing their design for the stockshow barn.

I rather like the look of the chairlift station. The sloping front façade gives it some flair (get it? 'flair'/'flare'... anyway...) I imagine St. Dale is looking down and smiling at the dirt track. I wonder if Dale Jr. was at the grand opening ceremonies?

The chairlift station is based on a modern take on the old Quonset hut.  Having a pentagonal cross-section, the pieces are all flat so are easier to fabricate and transport to the site.  Generally, the "facade" is the flat ends and that's where the doors are, but that's not possible in this application so I just left off some wall panels ;).  This type of building is fairly popular for tractor sheds where I live, but I've also seen them used as airplane hangars.  I can't recommend Cebism's metal panels highly enough.  He calls them roof panels but they're more of the type used for walls.  Their lack of gridding allows sloping walls like this.

I hope St. Dale ain't displeased.  We couldn't get Dale, Jr. but the local NASCAR Missionary Babdist preacher gave a rousing sermon at the grand opening :D

Excellent update BH. :)  I probably spent almost as much time reading it as you did writing it (that was meant as a compliment :D). As for losing part of what you wrote, I periodically copy/paste my progress in a temp Notepad file in case I do something stupid like closing the wrong tab ;)  which I also have done. I learned my lesson.

Yeah, I generally do the Notepad thing before hitting the "Post" button.  I've lost many posts due to the weather changing in-process and me not having a connection when I'm finished.  But now I'm getting in the habit of saving things as I go along, too :).
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Bullethead, you did it again and made my morning coffee extra special while reading your story and seeing what you have done since the last episode. 

I agree 100% with all the comments you have received so far.  The ride's are themed perfectly for this park and the farm animals viewing area is awesome.

Once you start to read the story you are unable to stop.  Your style of writing stories captures the attention right from the 1st paragraph.

I can't wait to see what you do next buddy.  Great Job!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Bullethead, you did it again and made my morning coffee extra special while reading your story and seeing what you have done since the last episode. 
I agree 100% with all the comments you have received so far.  The ride's are themed perfectly for this park and the farm animals viewing area is awesome.
Once you start to read the story you are unable to stop.  Your style of writing stories captures the attention right from the 1st paragraph.
I can't wait to see what you do next buddy.  Great Job!

Thank you very much!  And also thanks for the help with the Dandelion stuff!  If you hadn't mentioned the place needing flowers, I'd have never had the idea, and your suggestions for developing that really worked great!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2019, 07:02 PM »
DEFINITELY capturing that county fair / small town vibe.  Your chairlift station looks exactly like what they would build in that setting.

But the dandelion theming really owns this update.  I did not see that one coming.  (And of course I enjoyed the storytelling as always.)

Bring on the next chapter!   :up:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2019, 08:36 PM »
DEFINITELY capturing that county fair / small town vibe.  Your chairlift station looks exactly like what they would build in that setting.

As a fellow resident of "fly over this territory only if there's a storm on the more direct route", I greatly appreciate your appraisal :n00b:  The wonders of quickly built, custom, yet somehow still prefab sheds are lost on those with seemingly more important things to worry about than keeping their combines dry until the next harvest.

But the dandelion theming really owns this update.  I did not see that one coming.

I didn't, either.  I blame @Tillietwos ;D .   
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2019, 02:25 PM »
As a fellow resident of "fly over this territory only if there's a storm on the more direct route", I greatly appreciate your appraisal :n00b:  The wonders of quickly built, custom, yet somehow still prefab sheds are lost on those with seemingly more important things to worry about than keeping their combines dry until the next harvest.

I didn't, either.  I blame @Tillietwos ;D .

Now hold on there buddy, blame??  You blame me ??   Don't you mean if it wasn't for Tillietwos brilliant idea this lovely Dandelion Ride Skin would never have looked so magnificent.   hehehehehehe

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10 AM »
Now hold on there buddy, blame??  You blame me ??   Don't you mean if it wasn't for Tillietwos brilliant idea this lovely Dandelion Ride Skin would never have looked so magnificent.   hehehehehehe

Yes, that's exactly what I meant ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Excellent work sir. The carousel building roof is a triumph and having a local idiot performing stupid shit with gators definitely  makes this park a winner for me.