[WIP] Sherwood Forest

• 10 replies

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
[WIP] Sherwood Forest
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Well, here we are then. My first post about my 'hopefully soon to be opened' park Sherwood Forest. After much thought i took the bait and dived into the world of creating and maintaining a park. And at the same time share it with you all. I really enjoy reading and looking at the input thats been given here in all kind of threats. I learned alot from it, remembered some good ideas and tried to mix it with my own.

Why now? It started tickling when i created some buildings next to a small river and posted a picture of it. Scenery is all nice, but why not make it useful? Soon the idea of adding a track ride came up and thats where i am now:

Is the picture that made me consider adding a track ride to it. The idea of guests sitting in a car looking around enjoying the scenery was the start.

But i didnt want to just start building. Been there, done that. And it usually fails for me. This time i wanted to do it differently. With a map. So i opened a pre-historic drawing program called paint:

though very simple concerning lay-out it gave me enough ideas.
Some explanation:
Red : track
Dark brown : buildings
Light grey : squares / market area
Dark grey : track ride station
Green : foilage / rocks
Dark blue : small river
Light blue : (frozen) waterfall
Black : path for guests

Then followed the actual track lay-out:

Nothing fancy though there is the thought in my mind it might be to long already. Not sure though, so any advice is appreciated.

And here are 2 inside pictures from one of the buildings while i was creating:

Certainly not finished, but the bigger part is getting there.

Please feel free to give advice / suggestings / ask questions. I will do my best to continue and update this track and park as we forward.

cheers

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Sherwood Forest
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 12:47 PM »
I guess I missed the thread where first posted that picture. It's beautiful and so atmospheric. Glad to hear that it's inspired you to expand the idea to build a ride. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Looks quite good so far!  And I use Paint routinely as a quick way to sketch things as you've done here ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42 PM »
I like the open-beamed timber frame construction. With the archways, the stonework, the wrought iron, the barrels (rum? black powder?), the Jolly Roger, and the candlelit dimness- it all adds up to a swashbuckling pirate setting.

The length of the track looks okay to me. Depends on how slow the cars move, I guess. Do Planet Coaster peeps start complaining if a ride lasts longer than 5 minutes, like they do in RCT3?

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 12:46 AM »
@Shyguy: the picture was posted in the thread 'what did you just do in planet coaster' . And thanks!

@Bullethead: thank you :)
I don't have any other programs to sketch my ideas with so paint will do.  I thought I was showing my age when using that program  :D

@JB: you can't see it well but on top of the barrels I put a wheel. So it can be used as table. Well that was my idea.
Also not seen is the 'bar' I'm trying to create. It's in the corner behind the car on the left.

I have no idea if guests start to complain. I read that track rides are general low in popularity. Hence why I thought it might be to long / slow. I left the speed at 5 so perhaps I can alter that.  And thanks!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 07:49 AM »
@JB:
Peeps don't complain about long rides.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  Peeps are attracted to rides by their relative prestige rating and duration is a component of prestige.  The longer a ride lasts, the higher its prestige, so the more peeps like it.

@Forgath:  Whoever told you that track rides are unpopular was giving bad info.  In general, they are always the most popular rides in the park, even if you don't consider transport rides (a sub-type of track rides).  They are generally so popular that they cause serious congestion around their queues unless the park offers several other rides of equal attractiveness.

Track rides are popular first because they're family-friendly so every peep is a potential customer, unlike most coasters that don't allow kids.  Second, track rides can't be made to have a very high fear rating, which means they don't scare away customers that are otherwise able to ride them.  And third, unless you deliberately and significantly pull your punches with them, they can't help but have a prestige rating amongst the highest in the park.  Prestige is the driving factor here because it's unfairly biased in favor of track rides at present.

*********  WALL OF TEXT WARNING *******

From here on down, it's a rather pedantic dissertation on game mechanics that only matter if you actually open the park.  Feel free to skip this.

Prestige is a combination of 3 things, in all of which track rides score highly without even trying, whereas coasters have to work for theirs and flat rides are screwed:

*  Ride Duration:  As mentioned above, the longer the ride, the higher the prestige.  Track rides are slow so they get a higher duration that a coaster would on the same length of track.  Coasters NEED to be fast to get a high excitement rating (see below), which tends to hurt them on duration.  So advantage to track rides, unless you deliberately make a very short kiddie version.

*  TRACK Scenery (NOT queue scenery):  This ranges from "low" to "high" based on the dollar value of building and scenery parts located within about 12m of the track.  Once you hit "high", throwing more parts at the track will not improve things.  However, you can get "very high" track scenery if, and only if, you add at least 2 triggers to the track.  If you do this, you don't need much static scenery.  The difference between "high" and "very high" is about 60 prestige points IIRC.

Anyway, folks tend to make very scenic track rides like you're doing here, and almost always use multiple triggers with them, so it's very common for track rides have "very high" scenery.  OTOH, folks tend to be deliberately austere with coaster scenery so as not to hide the track too much, and often don't use triggers on them at all.  Thus, coasters tend to have only "high" track scenery or less unless steps are taken to improve this.  So in general, unless you deliberately make austere track rides and/or deliberately pimp your coasters, the advantage here goes to track rides again.

Also note that flat rides don't even have a track scenery rating so get zero points in this category.  This is one of the main reasons why flat rides don't get much business.

NOTE:  Queue scenery only affects how long peeps are willing to wait.  It doesn't affect prestige.

*  Excitement Rating:  This is mostly a function of the average speed and positive G forces (which themselves are a function of speed) along the track, all averaged together.  Track rides are very slow compared to coasters and thus can't produce noticeable G forces.  So you'd think this is where coasters would be strong.  Unfortunately, track rides get an excitement buff, so they get way more excitement for a given speed than coasters do.  The result is that track ride excitement is roughly on a par with coaster excitement, and they just get this automatically whereas coasters have to work for it with careful track design, always balanced with trying to keep the fear at a reasonable level to avoid alienating potential customers.

The excitement buff for track rides is a holdover from the early days before there was prestige.  Back then, excitement rating was the ONLY thing that determined ride attractiveness.  Without the buff, track rides couldn't compete with coasters.  Prestige came along within the 1st year as part of the update that introduced the ride aging (reputation) mechanic.  It was intended to create a system where each type of ride would score based on its strong points (except flats, which don't have any strong points).  But they forgot to remove the excitement buff, so track rides are strong in all 3 areas and get way more prestige than they should.

-----------------

Peeps seem to view ride prestige ratings in tiers of approximately 0-600, 600-1200, and 1200+.  Within each tier, rides are essentially equally attractive but higher tiers absolutely trump lower tiers.  Coasters of typical size and competent design have no trouble reaching the middle tier, but it's damn hard to get them over 1200 unless they're really big, so that they stay fast for a long time.  It's no trouble at all, however, to get a track ride over 1200 without even trying.  I'm sure yours here will be in the 1250-1350 range by the time it's done.

Flats are heavily disadvantaged due to having no tracks so get no track scenery points.  All they have are duration and excitement.  The more extreme flats have enough excitement to reach the middle tier and do good business, but the tamer flats (carousels and such) are just screwed.  They'll be stuck solidly in the lowest tier unless you make their durations stupidly long by adding an absurd amount of sequences to them.  So in general, these won't ever do much business.  They cater only to the meekest stratum of families, whose very low fear tolerance prevents them from riding anything else in the park.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 05:36 AM »
Many thanks for your extended reply Bullethead! Thats information i can and will use to my advantage. Much appreciated  "bows"

I hope to post an update this weekend.  Time has been in short supply last week. 

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Many thanks for your extended reply Bullethead! Thats information i can and will use to my advantage. Much appreciated  "bows"

What, you actually read that?!?!?!? :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 03:06 AM »
What, you actually read that?!?!?!? :)
As a matter of fact I did yes.

Finally a small upgrade on the track ride. I spend time creating the largest building. In my mind i had a picture of a castle with columns but i couldnt get it quite right ingame. It isnt finished yet, neither on the inside or outside. But thinking that the final touches still can be made, i wanted to show the basic layout.

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Very nice! I absolutely love the new area

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39 AM »
Very nice! I absolutely love the new area
Thank you Salad Fries :)
Im noticing i find it difficult to feel when a building is done or when it still could use some adapting. Yes its all a matter of perspective and everyone has a different opinion. Its me not being easily satisfied with what i create.

At the moment im trying to create a small cave-area with pillars coming down from the ceiling. (not sure if there is a proper translation for it in english) I have yet to discover if its possible in the game to be that precise but i will give it a try.