Building a detailed cave

• 7 replies
Building a detailed cave
« on: January 29, 2019, 01:42 PM »
I looked around both here and on the official site, but did not find any solid info on building a cave for a water ride.

I am looking to create an underground river raft with several scenes. How do I bury it? Can I bury it? Do I have to create the entire surround with boulders, then bury it? Do I use the path system to create a cafe, then try to work inside it? Is Charlie Chaplin's grave really filled with concrete? Sorry, I digress.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Building a detailed cave
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 02:24 PM »
I've done this a couple of times and it's always a bit of a pain.  If you've done any previous terrain changes in that area of the park, you pretty much have to build the ride in-situ so the station will be at the right height as everything else, instead of building the ride in an empty park and importing it as a blueprint.  HOPEFULLY, you haven't do much theming around the ride's location yet, as you'll probably end up doing a major excavation.

The simplest way to get the track into a hole is to turn auto-tunnel on as you lay the track, which makes it bore tunnels as you go.  You can vary the width of the tunnel this way, too.  HOWEVER, if you change the track layout underground, the original tunnels aren't refilled, so you'll have to go back and do that manually.

Alternatively, you can dig a huge hole, build the ride floating in the air in this whole, then go back and bury it later.  If you have auto-tunnel turned on when you bury it, the tunnel will automatically reform around the track.

Once you get the basic tunnel around the track, you can then go into the tunnel and push the walls and roof further away to make large caverns, then add a few rocks and stalactites/stalagmites, water drips, etc.  This will all be done in the dark so it's handy to slap an area light on the wall somewhere so you can see what you're doing until you install the actual finished lighting.

Remember that water SFX don't show up well in the dark because they neither reflect nor block light.  The only way to see them is to have a background of a contrasting color, or have the cave fairly well illuminated in general.

Also, if part of the track is just barely below the surface, you might have trouble keeping the top of the tunnel closed, so you might have to built a small hill over that part of the track.

Here's an example I made:    You can see the water because either the cave has enough light or the background is sufficiently contrasting.  I only decorated the big initial cave.  All the rest is just the standard auto-tunnel, although I did manually add some lumps and bumps to the walls to break up the surfaces just a little.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:29 PM »
I built up my terrain first, then used the auto-tunnel to make the core hole. I then go in and fine tune the terrain as needed. Is the camera-light option to see what you are doing easier, or place a few are lights to help out. Check out the one I did for my Star Wars park as it has a long tunnel section that has a few scenes and special lighting (some done with billboards and other just with terrain). this ride details starts on page 12 of the thread
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:31 PM by wowmanrct »

Offline andreizsmart

• 'supercoolsuper'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Make sure in your settings you turn off the restrictions on terraforming so that you can intersect the terrain with attractions. Terraform a mountain (doesnt matter what it looks like as long as its big enough to contain your attraction) and then build the track through using the auto-tunneling with your desired tunnel size. Once all track is placed, I go into the tunnel (Press T to switch your camera mode to free-look) and go into the tunnel following the track making adjustments to the terrain as you go along. (L turns light on to aid in building underground) Then you can reshape the exterior as needed.

Basically the method that everyone else said.
Initiating power transfer...

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Thanks a million guys!!!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:45 PM »
No problem.

Oh, and 1 more thing.  Every map usually has 2 rock textures (unless you're using a custom biome).  One of these textures will make a fairly smooth, uniformly colored surface, the other will put more 3D lumps and bumps, cracks, lichen, etc.  The auto-tunnel feature usually uses the smoother texture throughout, and also makes smooth tunnel walls to begin with.  Thus, what you get from auto-tunnel usually looks like the inside of a concrete culvert.  So it's a good idea to repaint the inside with the lumpier rock texture, with the intensity up high, to get a more natural look.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:48 PM »
I just tested Planet Coaster out. woah  Its fantastic.
thanks for the advices
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:49 PM by ImagineerTim »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:05 PM »
I just tested Planet Coaster out. woah  Its fantastic.
thanks for the advices

Well, glad I helped push you over the edge ;)  I myself never played any of the RCT games but given its evident long-term popularity, I'm almost tempted to give RCT3 a go ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page