Animated billboards and lasers?

• 5 replies
Animated billboards and lasers?
« on: February 01, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Hi,

yesterday I started with Planet Coaster. Its amazing. Wow.
But are there animated billboards e.g. opening like a door as a ride event?
And I found no lasers like in RCT3?
Thanks in advance for help :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Animated billboards and lasers?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Yes to both.  However, your selections will be limited if you don't get some of the DLCs.  MOST of the billboard coaster doors (doors that can be triggered to open and close when the coaster approaches) are in the Studios pack IIRC.

To find the billboards, do the following:
1.  When you have either the building or scenery editor open, click on the "More Filters" button above the part icons.
2.  From the pop-up list, expand "Properties".
3.  From the list of properties, pick "Billboard".

NOTE:  Some billboards are in the building tab, others in scenery, so you might have to check both places.  Also note you can also select properties like "triggerable", "editable text", etc.

A "billboard" in PC is a piece that you can make display a still JPG or a video clip.  You have to save these files in your Documents\Frontier Development\Planet Coaster\User Media folder.  BE SURE to use a naming convention on these files, like your initials, then an abbreviation for the park's name, and then the actual file descriptor.  That way, it's easier for both you and the others to know which files go with which park.

Anyway, once you have the files in the folder, you click on the billboard piece and select the file.

As to lasers, they're in the Scenery/SFX tab.  There are some that came with the base game (I don't think they're called "lasers" but they work for that), others are in DLCs.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 06:47 AM »
  BE SURE to use a naming convention on these files, like your initials, then an abbreviation for the park's name, and then the actual file descriptor.  That way, it's easier for both you and the others to know which files go with which park.
Something I have never done and I bang my head on my monitor every day because of this.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:34 AM »
the game blew me away yesterday night. I will get all extension packs asap. woah
thanks for the help

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47 AM »
the game blew me away yesterday night. I will get all extension packs asap. woah
thanks for the help

No problem.

I forgot to mention that triggered billboards can have 2 different images/videos on them, one for their "off" state and the other for their triggered state.  So for instance, the coaster doors that are also billboards.  You can have it display 1 image/video while closed, then another as it opens.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:49 AM »
thousand thanks. just got all DLCs installed! oh yeah