Six Flags Great America - Recreation - Update #2

• 7 replies

Offline Platinum

• Corkscrew is iconic
    • View Profile
Six Flags Great America - Recreation - Update #2
« on: February 08, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Hello, Platinum here.

I've recently started something I've never fully attempted before. A complete recreation of an existing theme park. I chose Six Flags Great America due to it being slightly more difficult for someone of my skill set. I'm not the best with creating photogenic buildings, which SFGAM has a LOT of, so I decided to undertake this task in an attempt to improve my building techniques and to push myself to create something unlike anything I've done before.

The goal here is to create an authentic recreation. Blending minimalism and accuracy. And minimalism here means to recreate without being too detailed as I want this park to be playable with a decent peep population without abundant frame rate issues. SFGAM was an ideal choice due to it being a popular park, lots of unique coasters and shops and it's feasible to create within Planet Coaster map-size parameters.

Disclaimer: This is a VERY EARLY version of the park.

Entrance to the park.

Carousel plaza (current carousel is a placeholder for now). Basic silhouettes of the shops can be seen.

Entrance to Orleans Place (again, you'll find my style of building very minimal)

Superman & Condor
(This area in particular will probably see a complete rebuild as I need to distance Condor away from SUF's entrance to plop some trees in for a more authentic look. I'm still on the fence if I want to use a Workshop item for Condor. However my style is function over aesthetic)

The Dark Knight Coaster entrance area is still VERY wip. I did surprise myself on how well Primo's Pizza turned out as I used maybe 10 pieces all together.

Mardi Gras. Again, very bare-bones at the moment. This area was the easiest so far as the rides themselves really help flesh out the area and didn't require much on the time-consuming building.

Roaring rapids.

The Joker is 75% finished at the moment, all it needs is a custom support package & a programmed seat rotation (which will be difficult because most of the ride is upside down meaning everything will have to be done in reverse, and I'm already a novice with 4D coasters).

Batman - The Ride. Plaza is in early development. Again, I needed to create a basic silhouette of the gates to create scale to make sure everything fit correctly. And for some reason this coaster was a tough one to recreate. (Yes, I build all my coasters 100% from scratch [Except Goliath & V2, due to a lot of custom work needed for an authentic look. Thankfully there is a good recreation in the Steam workshop :) ])

Lastly, we have Yankee Harbor. The shops in the lower left are already on phase 2, and expect all of the shops in the future to be up to standard.

Overview of progress.

I usually build in a 2-phases.
1 - Create the overall silhouette of an area by building the overall attractions & shops in there bare-bones state. (Current park state) This phase takes the longest as I have to constantly go back in forth with references - google street view, googles image, and sometimes YouTube for the hard to reach places.

2- Fine tuning the most intricate details. Proper positioning of objects, small bushes, benches, fences, flowers, lighting, signage etc. Additional modifications or possible complete rebuilds are common.

I usually build one area in phase 1, move on to the next section or two and begin phase 1, then go back to the first section and begin phase 2. I find this the best method in any type of park build. This brings a sense of progress and lets my create juices flow without being constricted to a single area where I often loose interest when I focus on it too long.

Anyways, that's it for this update. Sorry for the breathy explanation. Honestly, I find my current presentation boring as I write this. For now this approach works for a basic introduction and I may switch it up for the next update to make this more exciting

~Platinum.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:51 PM by Platinum »

Re: Six Flags Great America - Recreation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 07:06 PM »
can't wait to see more. This was my home park growing up as a kid and the first coasters I ever rode (Willard's Whizzer). I know this park very well and saw it change ever so much over the years.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:35 PM »
You are off to an amazing start! I cannot wait for more updates. Recreations are a little difficult, especially whenever it comes to playing with a certain company. Definitely keep up the good work! You got this!! :D

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 08:39 AM »
This is a really great start. I'm happy to see someone recreating a Six Flags park. I'm excited to see more!

Offline Salad Fries

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Wow! you're off to an incredible start! I'm not familiar with six flags great america, but it looks great when comparing it to pictures!

Recreations are tough, but so incredibly fun to do! One piece of advice I'd love to give is associated with using maps.. As absurd as it may be to recommend, bing maps is actually an incredible resource (when used in conjunction with google maps).. Bing has a really awesome birds eye view which provides a really great areal view from an angle..
Also, if you're having trouble finding detail on the maps due to tree cover, switching between google & bing can help clear up some discrepancies.. Also, sometimes toggling the 3d view on google maps will provide a different date of image (possibly revealing autumn/winter tree cover)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 04:21 PM by Salad Fries »

Offline Platinum

• Corkscrew is iconic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:50 PM »
can't wait to see more. This was my home park growing up as a kid and the first coasters I ever rode (Willard's Whizzer). I know this park very well and saw it change ever so much over the years.
I'm trying to keep this authentic as I can, I hope you can reminisce over this project.

You are off to an amazing start! I cannot wait for more updates. Recreations are a little difficult, especially whenever it comes to playing with a certain company. Definitely keep up the good work! You got this!! :D
This is my first full attempt at a recreation. This is definitely a challenge for me, but I've decided to push myself to complete one.

This is a really great start. I'm happy to see someone recreating a Six Flags park. I'm excited to see more!
I'm excited as well. I've never visited, but the more I work on it, the more I'm considering it.  :up:

Wow! you're off to an incredible start! I'm not familiar with six flags great america, but it looks great when comparing it to pictures!

Recreations are tough, but so incredibly fun to do! One piece of advice I'd love to give is associated with using maps.. As absurd as it may be to recommend, bing maps is actually an incredible resource (when used in conjunction with google maps).. Bing has a really awesome birds eye view which provides a really great areal view from an angle..
Also, if you're having trouble finding detail on the maps due to tree cover, switching between google & bing can help clear up some discrepancies.. Also, sometimes toggling the 3d view on google maps will provide a different date of image (possibly revealing autumn/winter tree cover)

I'm familiar with using different online maps at this point. However, the classic "birds eye view" has been removed from both Bing & Google maps, and replaced with a virtual 3-D renders. This made it incredibly difficult to get the details of the hard-to-see areas. Luckily, with enough digging, I found a website that still runs those old birds eye views.

And I would like to thank You All for your support and interest in this project.  :D

Offline Platinum

• Corkscrew is iconic
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Great America - Recreation - Update #2
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Kevin Kline ~ 23 ~ Park Spokesperson

Six Flags announced 5 years ago that a new park would be opening in my hometown of Gurnee IL.
Construction has been underway for quite some time now and here are some updates.

The future entrance of the park, lots of attractions to be found in the background.

Orleans Place, a 19th century rendition of New Orleans's French Quarter.

Primo's Pizzeria will feature Italian style pizza, chicken, salads and cold beer. The Dark Knight Coaster, a BATMAN themed indoor steel coaster is pictured in the back.

Superman - Ultimate Flight will take riders on a 105-foot flying adventure.

V2 - Vertical Velocity, a 70-mph steel twisted impulse coaster, will be anchored inside Yankee Harbor.

Hometown Square, themed to small Midwestern towns.

The Whizzer. A classic Anton Schwarzkopf Speedracer roller coaster.

Multiple turns and dips to be found on The Whizzer's 3100-foot course.

Anchored into Hometown Square is the indoor amphitheater; Grand Music Hall.

Hometown Park will feature numerous kid's rides, attractions and games.

Work recently started on landscaping and we will announce an official opening date soon.

Overview of progress.

Until next time~

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Great America - Recreation - Update #2
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:23 PM »
You admit your building style is minimalist, but once you start adding some more details, trees and landscaping, etc., it all starts to come together and look very good. The first update was definitely looking minimalistic, especially with so many things unfinished. But your second update blows the first update away. I'm seeing much more detailed work, coupled with some great landscaping. So yes, this is coming along very nicely. :)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot