The Weekly Ambassador 2/17/19

• 5 replies

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
The Weekly Ambassador 2/17/19
« on: February 17, 2019, 07:23 PM »
Happy Sunday everyone! This edition is an advice piece. The photos are all from canva (shockingly had theme park photos), please read this and if you have any questions message me and/or comment below!

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Weekly Ambassador 2/17/19
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:21 PM »
nice job as always cody :up:

1) what is some advice you can share?

if you creating a park/scenery/ctr/..., take your time, don't be scared to ask help, take notes, start whit something easy and build your way up,
you always will have trails and errors

2) when it comes to beating creator's block, how do you "kill"it? (i do not know a better choice of words)

like Tony Montana, "say hello to my little friends"
then i go take a look at parks, foto's, movies, of other players or the real deal or i experiment a little. most off the time it helps

3) have you ever seeked help from another member? how did it go?

there where a few times i asked for help, had some problems whit creating cs/ctr for rct3 i was specific in my questions
and if your patience you'l get the answers your looking for and be polite then they are happy to help you

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:54 AM »
Thank you for this edition, cody :)

It's an interesting topic. Asking for help is sometimes hard. Sometimes we don't realise we can improve by asking for help, sometimes we're too proud or too shy to ask for help, or we don't want to bother anyone...

I don't think I'm experienced enough to give advice, but I use google or apple maps a lot to study real parks from above, 3D or street view. On google maps I often measure sizes and distances, to find out how wide a street is, what's a realistic size for a dark ride, a restaurant, etc.

2) when it comes to beating creator's block, how do you "kill"it? (i do not know a better choice of words)

So many factors involved there. Time, motivation, inspiration.
Guess the hardest one to get? Motivation!

But once you are in the mood, the other two can be tackled, especially time: Begin to do write down notes. Even when you are busy and can't get to play for weeks: You can start writing notes and thoughts in the meantime (on the bus, for example), and once you start collecting thoughts, it often grows like a tree with many new ideas. Get into the spirit. Eventually, you will have the time to build, and then it's great to have a collection of ideas at hand already, so you don't have to waste your valuable time on the planning phase. You can start experimenting in-game or even building right away.

Inspiration is a bit trickier to find. I took a couple of measures in the past months, ever since I started building again: First of all, I have the SGW tab always open in my browser. On Safari it's in my "fixed tabs" section, together with other pages I regularly visit, like email, my local park's fan forum, twitter. Projects on shyguy's World can be so inspiring. I recently started to hit the "notify" button on project threads that I want to follow. But I also find inspiration with above mentioned online maps, rcdb, own theme park memories. I try to isolate things that fascinate me about other parks, real or game, and try to work with that without copying.

Motivation is probably the toughest part, but sometimes we just assume we aren't motivated, just because the other, time and inspiration, are missing. Once you understand that the barriers to time and inspiration can be removed, you will notice that "lack of motivation" often just exists because we forgot how to remove the other two hurdles.

I have no idea if I managed to express what I'm thinking. I'm happy if this made any sense  :P

I don't think I ever seeked help from another member. Maybe I should start doing so? I surely can need some help with a few things, but I'm mostly too shy to just ask anyone directly.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Totally agree with Elch on the Google Maps advice.  Even if you're not doing a re-creation, walking a park in street-view is the next best thing to being there, and a great way to get ideas on details.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Totally agree with Elch on the Google Maps advice.  Even if you're not doing a re-creation, walking a park in street-view is the next best thing to being there, and a great way to get ideas on details.

Yes! Google maps and Streetview are my friends while working on my Universal Studios Florida Recreation!  :)

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 02:01 AM »

The replies above give the proper advice: take your time. I know from my own experience i like to create things that are near perfect. That takes time. And i dont always give myself that time. I get impatient and like to see progress instead of just having ideas (yes, i'm human). So start simple and see where it leads you.

I search on the internet for advice and pictures. And when that doesnt work out i put the project aside and continue on something else. Spending time on something that feels forced usually doesnt keep it fun.

I have asked for help. Feels weird in the beginning to ask for help with an idea that only exists in your mind. But i found out that there is a lot of knowledge and friendly people on this site that is willing to share ideas and thoughts.