New Universal park in Orlando

• 4 replies
New Universal park in Orlando
« on: March 28, 2019, 02:46 PM »
This is a great article from two perspectives. 1. its great info about the development of this new park. 2. It gives great insight to the details of park planning that may help players of the coaster games we share on this forum. I especially think BH will like the emergency access segment. I found this really interesting.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/what-we-can-learn-about-universal-orlandos-new-theme-park-from-development-plans/

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Re: New Universal park in Orlando
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 03:21 PM »
I think the new park can have many approaches when it comes to stories. "Fantastic Worlds" is a broad name to use and can mean many things. I am excited to see more whenever they really start releasing more information.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Comparing the plans here with the image from the park announcement today, it appears the main entrance would be on the southeast corner near the parking lot and entrance road, while the large hotel would be in northwest corner near the new Kirkman Road, there's a new intersection show on the plan in that area...

So bottom right on this image would actually I think be lower left on the plan maps in the article wowmanrct posted a link to...

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Okay, I am gonna give my honest opinion on this. I think this announcement was as if it were a cancelled project. There were no details given and most of it was discussing the economic effect the park will have. I think the rumored lands are uninteresting to me because it just seems random. I like Islands of Adventure because things seem to flow pretty well and transitions are fair. This park seems as if it will have just random transitions into lands from the "hub." Another thing I disliked is the name. I saw a comment on social media that said "this is as if it is a roller coaster tycoon name," and I honestly laughed because it is pretty true! Overall, this announcement was kind of poor to me and I feel think it is just Universal firing back at Disney.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 04:52 AM »
Well, they kept saying that they weren't releasing many details because of 'competitive reasons', although I'm of the opinion personally that Disney already knows a lot about Universal's plans just as Universal knows a lot more about Disney's plans - both of them far more than what us, the public know.  Plus the timing of announcements between these two generally are planned to steal some thunder from the other (hence why the Universal announcement in the midst of the hype for Galaxy's Edge...).  IP's for the different 'lands' may not be set or designs even completed, but the 'timing' was right to steal some thunder.  Everyone's now talking about Universal rather than just Galaxy's Edge...

While I agree that IOA does have a very good flow to it, I don't think the transitions shown on the artwork for EU is any more jarring than at the Magic Kingdom.  Main difference is that the Hub here is much more complex and there are more 'lands' leading off of it, and it seems that each 'land' is self-contained, there doesn't appear to be secondary traffic flow patterns between them, but instead people have to return to the central hub to access the next land.  Might be good from the standpoint of immersion.  The hub also isn't singular like at the MK, nor is it encircling a central body of water like at USO or IOA.  It's a series of water bodies instead.

The name is kinda weak, I'll agree.  Rumor is that the possible original name - which was leaked last year - of "Fantastic Worlds" ran into problems with Warner which has the rights to the Harry Potter franchise and them having concerns that "Fantastic" combined with "World" might lead some to think this park was solely focused on just HP offerings.

Disney is supposed to have some 'secret project' revealed at the D23 Expo later this month.  Some people see a possible connection between the Universal new park announcement and the timing of this sudden 'secret project' reveal.  I'd be surprised if Disney has anything even remotely on par with another new park ready for an announcement, I don't see it being the rumored "Disney Airlines" (Disney says it hasn't the money to fix/expand the WDW Monorail system...I doubt they'll spend money on an airline...besides, they keep raising ticket prices in an effort to control crowds...so why would they want to turn around and haul more people in?).  They are already going to cover the EPCOT revamp and the new rides being built, so who knows?