Transferring Planet Coaster to New PC

• 5 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Transferring Planet Coaster to New PC
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Hey guys! So I'm not very computer savvy, and right now I'm looking for a new computer, mainly because of Planet Coaster, and just the slowness of my computer now. My current computer is 5 years old and running Planet Coaster is a serious challenge for it. Even an unfinished park with nobody in it produces major lag. I am a huge Dell fan and was looking at Dell computers with a price range of $500-$900. The two Inspiron gaming desktops I'm looking at are $200 difference in price ($599 and $799).

The cheaper one has an Intel Core i3 8100 processor verses the more expensive one with an Intel Core i5 8400 processor.

The cheaper one has a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 graphics card and the more expensive one has a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5 graphics card.

Both have 8GB of RAM and a 1 TB hard drive.

Is $200 more worth it for the more expensive one? Or should I buy the $599.99 one? OR should I just scratch all this and go with a Dell computer with an AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor and a AMD Radeon™ RX 570 with 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card? ORRRRRR should I forget all this and get a different computer.

I plan on using this computer for schoolwork AS WELL AS Planet Coaster and probably Fallout and Skyrim as well.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to read this! Anything really would be appreciated as I'd rather not get ripped off.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 11:45 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline Loundlim

• aka Julez Bernd
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a New Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 03:27 PM »
To be honest I think you shouldn't go for either of the Laptops. Sure Laptops are great if you want and need to carry them around but I don't think even the more expensive one is fast enough, especially since the hardware is already about two years old if not even older. That doesn't mean though that the 600$ or 800$ won't let you buy a capable machine. Desktop PC are generally a lot more cost effective and easier to upgrade (or rather upgradable at all) in case you think it is time for a new part or if you need to replace something that doesn't work anymore. I personally would buy all the parts individually rather than buying a pre built pc since it can be quite a bit cheaper for the exact same parts, and you get exactly what you want but I can totally understand If you don't want to go that route. However I just checked and 800$ can get you a PC (assuming you already have a monitor) that runs modern titles at highest grafical settings at a 1920 x 1080 resolution when you build the pc yourself.

So I can't really say: "Buy exactly this!" , however I can make a few recommendations. I will only list parts that are available right now. There is new stuff coming out in july that looks very promising so I personally would wait because you could either pay a lot less or get more performance for the same price. I case you want to buy a pc more or less now I would look for a model that features the following parts:

Processor:

AMD 2600 or 2600x

For processors I would only really recommend AMDs Ryzen 2000 series at the moment. Everything Intel has to offer costs way more for basicly the same performance. Most sellers still use intel processors for their pcs most of the time because... ...reasons but the extra amount you pay for intel wont give you performance that is worth the price if you ask me. I'm not sure exactly how CPU bound the Planet Coaster is but AMD has really the better price to performance ratio. You could also buy a 2700 or 2700x but I don't think games generally take advantage of the extra cores theese two processors offer. So the 2600 or 2600x are certainly the best choice from the AMD side. (The X variant is a little faster out of the box but its basicly the same chip as the non X just clocked a litte higher.)

Graphics card:

Nvidia GTX 1660 or 1660 Ti

OR

AMD RX 580 8GB or RX 590

Both AMD and Nvidia have great 1920 by 1080 GPUs avaiable at the time. Not sure what is best but AMD is once again the price to performance king here. The 1660 ti is the fastest card out of the four though.

RAM:

16 GB

I don't think you'll get too far with 8 GB in 2019. There aren't really any practical differences between al the 16 GB kits so just make sure you have 16.

And that is basicly what I would pick.
 :D

Dell doesn't really offer a pc that is configured like that but in the end it is your choice what you buy. The 819$ model with the Ryzen 1400, 8GB RAM and RX 570 isn't really worth it imo, especially if you look at the regular price of 928$. I personally would buy each parts individually but like I said I can understand if you don't want to do that.

EDIT:Not sure If I'm allowed to post something like this here but I found something that fits your budget really well:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102696
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:46 PM by Loundlim »

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Sorry I actually meant to say they were gaming desktops not laptops! Lol I'm such a tool. But anyway I'll definitely look into your advice about the processors and graphics cards because my friend said the same thing you said, AMD processor, 16 GB and build it myself. I don't really know how to build a computer myself, but I could certainly try. But either way considering you're the second person to tell me, I'm definitely going to look for a desktop with an AMD processor and 16 GB. I appreciate all your input it really helps a lot! Thanks!  :)

Also I looked at that website, and that computer looks pretty sick, I've never even heard of an ABS computer that's how bad I am with them lmao. But I'm definitely going to bookmark that page, much appreciated!  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I got a Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop for our church. (It's the only real way you can get multiple display outputs and have the computer keep up.) Added in Optane Memory and the thing flies. This is the link to all the varients:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop

I'd recommend at minimum the one for $799 but if your budget allows go for the one on the far right for $1,149. The Optane Memory is about $50 on Amazon and totally worth it.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Awesome! I'll take a look thank you! :)

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer all your steam data to a new computer (including DLC and game saves)? I would really only want two games transferred anyway them being Skyrim and Planet Coaster. If this is possible is there any tips anyone can give me?

Re: Transferring Planet Coaster to New PC
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer all your steam data to a new computer (including DLC and game saves)? I would really only want two games transferred anyway them being Skyrim and Planet Coaster. If this is possible is there any tips anyone can give me?

When you install Steam and it re-downloads all your games with DLC after you login. (Maybe have to make it start downloading but everything should be there.) As for game saves I'm not a 100% sure. I would just Google it and see. If anything you might have to hard copy some files on a flash drive.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park