• 17 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
The next new game in the "Planet" series...Planet Zoo
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:32 AM »
Planet Zoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naQ0acqONwg#action=share

Looks really nice, but unfortunately it seems the only connection to Planet Coaster is the name and things like paths. terra-forming and foliage.  My guess is that they'll work on putting out additional dlc for this game but I'm not sure that user generated content will be allowed, nor do I forsee them adding zoo animals to PC.  But hopefully there will be dlc that's not animals that can be released also for the PC game...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:42 AM by wabigbear »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: The next new game in the "Planet" series...Planet Zoo
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:01 AM »
Hmm, interesting news.

I see LOTS of connection with PC.  It's the same Cobra engine, the same path, terrain, scenery, and building systems, just new building sets.  I'm sure the peeps behave pretty much identically so there will be the same shops, the same staff, and the same crime systems.  The only really new thing is that the zoo animals appear to be  a type of free-range peep instead of animatronics, and you'll no doubt have to provide for their needs and keep them happy the same way you do for peeps.

This being the case, I see no fundamental reason why you couldn't mix PC and PZ elements in the same park.  In fact, I think this is probably the plan.  I have exactly zero interest in building a stand-alone zoo but I'd snap PZ up in a heartbeat if you could mix and match them.  I doubt I'm alone in this sentiment and I'm sure Frontier knows many feel this way, so it would be in their interests to make this happen.

Does anybody here play Jurassic World, the dinosaur zoo game?  Is that the same engine as PC or is it its own thing?  If its own thing, then the use of the PC engine for PZ makes me think crossovers are part of the plan.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:07 AM »
Hmm, interesting news.

I see LOTS of connection with PC.  It's the same Cobra engine, the same path, terrain, scenery, and building systems, just new building sets.  I'm sure the peeps behave pretty much identically so there will be the same shops, the same staff, and the same crime systems.  The only really new thing is that the zoo animals appear to be  a type of free-range peep instead of animatronics, and you'll no doubt have to provide for their needs and keep them happy the same way you do for peeps.

This being the case, I see no fundamental reason why you couldn't mix PC and PZ elements in the same park.  In fact, I think this is probably the plan.  I have exactly zero interest in building a stand-alone zoo but I'd snap PZ up in a heartbeat if you could mix and match them.  I doubt I'm alone in this sentiment and I'm sure Frontier knows many feel this way, so it would be in their interests to make this happen.

Does anybody here play Jurassic World, the dinosaur zoo game?  Is that the same engine as PC or is it its own thing?  If its own thing, then the use of the PC engine for PZ makes me think crossovers are part of the plan.
I agree 100% with your feelings on this. My initial thought is that this will not be combined but be a separate game. It already has its own forum section on the official forums and the wording of Frontiers announcement makes it sound like its own 'animal'. I really don't know if I can find myself splitting my time between two games like this. I would always be wanting what one game has that the other does not. It is weird how this is looking.

I see the zoo game has a train, new fences, scenery, etc. I'm really torn about this right now. if it was all being rolled up together (like an expansion pack) then I'm all in....but right now....hmmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Missed opportunity if they don't combine them.  Beyond the functional animals, PC already has everything we would need...  If they don't combine, Frontier has to come up with all new building and scenery sets, some of which will be redundant and some of which will make us angry that we can't put them into PC. 

If it's a financial thing, I'd be happy to pay full game price for what would essentially be the first true "expansion."   But I don't want to throw away my investment in this game to start over with something separate.

And one more note, with the all the new animatronic animals people have been making with TMTK, we can pretty much make a zoo right now in PC.  This just doesn't add much IMO.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Its definitly the "Same" game like planco. So i hope frontier will merch this two games in the future to one! this would be so awesome. I only saw the trailer once, but it all looks the same as planco. even the toilets are the same as in planco so the "only" new thing are the animals and there "own feelings" but i think this could easy be implemented in planetcoaster, or the rollercoasters could be added in planetZ.

but well we will see. i will definitly play this game. and i hope they will show us many many animals :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Looking at the screen shots on the game webpage...looks like weather is in this game. there is a wolf shot with snow falling and a bear shot with rain falling.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:25 PM »
The connection I was talking about is that as far as we know this isn't an expansion pack, it's a stand alone game.  Yes, it has all sorts of similarities, but you're probably not going to be able to put zoo's in your theme parks nor coasters in your zoo's, according to what's been said so far, just as Jurassic World doesn't combine with PC and they use the same engine.  They do certainly share some assets like trees and foliage.  I'm sure Frontier will address this soon as the question keeps coming up.

PC struggles now, I can't imagine how it would deal with added animal behaviors.  I'm hoping that PZ uses DirectX 12.

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39 PM »
No wonder why Frontier updated their logo on Facebook. Maybe Planet H2o will be out at some point.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Missed opportunity if they don't combine them.  Beyond the functional animals, PC already has everything we would need...  If they don't combine, Frontier has to come up with all new building and scenery sets, some of which will be redundant and some of which will make us angry that we can't put them into PC. 

If it's a financial thing, I'd be happy to pay full game price for what would essentially be the first true "expansion."   But I don't want to throw away my investment in this game to start over with something separate.

And one more note, with the all the new animatronic animals people have been making with TMTK, we can pretty much make a zoo right now in PC.  This just doesn't add much IMO.

I tend to agree with you here. It seems like this could of easily been the first real expansion pack like RCT3 Wild, but they decided instead to separate it. They did the same thing with Jurassic World Evolution. Even if they feel the need to make different games I feel like there should be some crossover pack you can buy that allows you to have the best elements of each game in the theme park setting. For those of us that really just want it for that purpose.

Offline RCTSpanky

• Old RCT fart :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:11 AM »
From the Xtra Stream they explained, that the gameplay of Planet Zoo is different, because the animals need all your attention. I think, they've mixed the breeding parts of JWE with the building parts of PlanCo.

But I see one option for both games. Because, the Planet Coaster Developers want create more Ride-DLC's, I think, we will see also some Animal DLC's, once the game was released. Between these DLC's Frontier can release also DLC's with Scenery, Foliage, Building Stuff etc., which could maybe be used in both games.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Having poked around looking at what all the more knowledgeable people have been saying, I'm doubtful much if any content cross-over will happen.  Certainly no PZ animals and their associated mechanics in PC.  At most, maybe some rides, shops, and building sets (probably more from PC into PZ than vice versa), but even this seems doubtful.

So, as I've suspected for a long time, PC is in maintenance mode.  Periodic bug-fixes as needed, MAYBE a few more DLCs, but otherwise, it is what it is.  Which is fine with me.  It's a huge box of Lego that lets you build a nearly infinite variety of things, so can keep us quite busy for years to come.  I wish it had a few more rides (mostly kiddie stuff) and that certain things like paths weren't so restrictive, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.  In terms of long-term playabiliy, PC is definitely one of the wisest game purchases I've made in my life.

In happier news, there's a pretty solid rumor that PC2 is actually in the works, although it will be a few years at least.  Which is also fine--PC will hold my attention that long.  So, even if you're not interested in PZ for its own sake, at least keep an eye on it as a foretaste of the sorts of fundamental game improvements that will (hopefully) someday appear in PC2 :)

-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 05:01 PM »
Having poked around looking at what all the more knowledgeable people have been saying, I'm doubtful much if any content cross-over will happen.  Certainly no PZ animals and their associated mechanics in PC.  At most, maybe some rides, shops, and building sets (probably more from PC into PZ than vice versa), but even this seems doubtful.

So, as I've suspected for a long time, PC is in maintenance mode.  Periodic bug-fixes as needed, MAYBE a few more DLCs, but otherwise, it is what it is.  Which is fine with me.  It's a huge box of Lego that lets you build a nearly infinite variety of things, so can keep us quite busy for years to come.  I wish it had a few more rides (mostly kiddie stuff) and that certain things like paths weren't so restrictive, but otherwise I'm quite happy with it.  In terms of long-term playabiliy, PC is definitely one of the wisest game purchases I've made in my life.

In happier news, there's a pretty solid rumor that PC2 is actually in the works, although it will be a few years at least.  Which is also fine--PC will hold my attention that long.  So, even if you're not interested in PZ for its own sake, at least keep an eye on it as a foretaste of the sorts of fundamental game improvements that will (hopefully) someday appear in PC2 :)
Very well said. I may get PZ just to tool around and see things that I wish could be in PC...then feel bummed...then go back to PC to have fun with what we have....waiting for PC2 to be happy again.

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Within 5 years there will also be a Planet Pool, someone wanna bet?

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 03:01 AM »
Maybe Planet Zoo will connect with Planet Coaster 2? 

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Well, the announcement of Planet Zoo at least lent some credence to the supposed 'leaked Frontier roadmap' that listed it as slated to be announced when it in fact was.  Next thing leaked was that there's a Ghostbusters DLC coming...another Universal themed pack.  And that PC is in maintenance mode with only a couple more ride pack dlc's in the pipeline...   

Planet Coaster 2 is supposedly in development, with claims they are holding talks with Disney.  That doesn't surprise me if true, just as there was the Kinectimals and Zoo Tycoon games Frontier did leading to Planet Zoo, they also did the Disneyland Adventures with Microsoft, so there's some background working with Disney there...and Disneyland Adventure shares quite a bit stylistically with PC.

Shall be interesting to see what happens...

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 07:29 AM »
Well, the announcement of Planet Zoo at least lent some credence to the supposed 'leaked Frontier roadmap' that listed it as slated to be announced when it in fact was.  Next thing leaked was that there's a Ghostbusters DLC coming...another Universal themed pack.  And that PC is in maintenance mode with only a couple more ride pack dlc's in the pipeline...   

Planet Coaster 2 is supposedly in development, with claims they are holding talks with Disney.  That doesn't surprise me if true, just as there was the Kinectimals and Zoo Tycoon games Frontier did leading to Planet Zoo, they also did the Disneyland Adventures with Microsoft, so there's some background working with Disney there...and Disneyland Adventure shares quite a bit stylistically with PC.

Shall be interesting to see what happens...
Not sure how, or if, this comes into play...but Disney just bought one of South Korea's largest game developers.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Not sure how, or if, this comes into play...but Disney just bought one of South Korea's largest game developers.

Interesting!   :yes:

Offline seeker939

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Maybe Planet Zoo will connect with Planet Coaster 2?

That's unlikely because they need to build a whole new "infrastructure" for PC2. Unless they want to repeat the mistakes they made in the ultimately disappointing PC1. I can't imagine I don't hope they're gonna re-use old code.