[WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert [Update 4]

• 21 replies

Offline The Grey

• Professional Roller Coasterer
    • View Profile
Here is Stinger, a mid-to-late 2000's invert that would be located within a Cedar Fairs theme park. [Though the CTR is 2nd gen].

I am trying to incorporate less surrounding of the ride with path work and more so a natural realistic layout, keeping parts of the ride hidden by site lines and buildings and trees. There will be pathwork through the cobra roll and under the banked curve but that and the initial drop (modeled after Talon's) are the only section with path interaction. A lot of this ride is modeled or inspired from Talon.

On to some pictures

So the last few pics show what work I still have left to do. Any suggestions and critiques are welcome!

More to come!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:01 PM by The Grey »
If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Small update... I built some supports but then deleted them after they did not look realistic enough. I decided to go the route I chose with my last invert, Ibeam set with steal chaos and based the support designs of Montu, Raptor and Talon

This little drop out of a curve was inspired by Montu [weirdly enough that was one of my favorite parts of the ride! It's the little things sometimes!]

If it doesn't include either Roller coasters, Music or Hockey... count me out....

Re: [WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert [Update 1]
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:17 PM »
It looks good. Lots of realistic details and nice supports.

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 05:42 PM »
This is fantastic! I love the realistic layout and scenery! Nice work!

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:47 AM »
great coaster very nice details

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40 PM »
This looks awesome! I do see your real world inspirations in terms of elements, which is definitely a nice touch! 

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 10:07 PM »
This is fantastic! I love the realistic layout and scenery! Nice work!

Thank you! Hope the next update doesn't dissapoint!

It looks good. Lots of realistic details and nice supports.

I love the little details that bring these projects to life! Thanks!

great coaster very nice details

Thanks! Hopefully I can squeeze some more touches of realism in!

This looks awesome! I do see your real world inspirations in terms of elements, which is definitely a nice touch! 

Thanks man! Glad my picture and video research are paying off!

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert [Update 2]
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Here is another update! Enjoy!

So now it is to work on the surrounding area and the rock designs within the lake. Obviously I had to ditch the path under the cobra roll, but still possibly putting the footpath somewhat under the first drop.

Let me know what you think and sorry for the delay!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:40 PM »
I love the colors of the ride. And the fantastic details you're putting into this. Some of those screenshots look like they could be from Planet Coaster and I have to keep reminding myself that this is RCT3.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 08:01 PM »
Looking beautiful! The loading area structures and the ride itself. I would take tons of photos if I were a guest seeing this!

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
Re: [WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert [Update 3]
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 09:00 PM »
I love the colors of the ride. And the fantastic details you're putting into this. Some of those screenshots look like they could be from Planet Coaster and I have to keep reminding myself that this is RCT3.

Wow, thanks Shy! I guess I will have to try and see if I can keep up the PC-esque quality throughout the rest of the project!

Looking beautiful! The loading area structures and the ride itself. I would take tons of photos if I were a guest seeing this!

Thanks, man! Hopefully this next update makes you bring an external hard drive for all the photos lol

Here is a small update. I've put more lighting in, added an eatery as well as some more foliage. I redid the roofing structure within the main station, using the 20m instead of 30m. Anywho, onto the pics!

Onto finishing the bridge and adding in more rock formations within the lake and adding in the paths between the entrance eatery and around to the first drop! Hope you enjoyed the update!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 11:06 PM »
The night shots with the highlights and deep shadows adds a lot of dynamic realism. :)  I like how part of your 'eatery' is set at an angle. And it looks like the stray cats, dogs, coons, and bears have rummaged through your dumpster. :D

Offline Fonki

• Fonki Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02 AM »
nice pictures, looks very realistic, you would forget its rct3 :up:

Offline Bylateral

• Astro
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09 PM »
Love how simple, yet complete this ride looks. The detailing in terms of realistic infrastructure is really cool - the station, switch-track, realistic queue, and even piles of trash. The colors and foliage so far look great, and your RCT3 architecture skills are top notch.

My only gripe is perhaps those mossy rocks could use some extra foliage on them. Also, do you have your brightness settings (besides bloom) turned all the way up in-game? Your screenshots look clear, but a little bit dark. Maybe it's the time of day you took the screenshots, or maybe I forgot how dark the coloring is in RCT3.  ???

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 03:48 PM »
The night shots with the highlights and deep shadows adds a lot of dynamic realism. :)  I like how part of your 'eatery' is set at an angle. And it looks like the stray cats, dogs, coons, and bears have rummaged through your dumpster. :D

Yeah I am not cleaning that up, Felix left both the gate and the Lid open, so he can deal with it! lol

Yeah the diagonal section looks nice in context of the rest of the building, and then the circular patio section. I was trying not to make a wave of light when it got dark, but as in real life, it is bright where the source is and then there are some sections of path that are a little darker but not completely blacked out, then the greenery around the path and ride get lost in the night... Amusement parks at night are beautiful!!!

nice pictures, looks very realistic, you would forget its rct3 :up:

Thanks again! My top two goals! Realism and making it not look like RCT3 lol

Love how simple, yet complete this ride looks. The detailing in terms of realistic infrastructure is really cool - the station, switch-track, realistic queue, and even piles of trash. The colors and foliage so far look great, and your RCT3 architecture skills are top notch.

My only gripe is perhaps those mossy rocks could use some extra foliage on them. Also, do you have your brightness settings (besides bloom) turned all the way up in-game? Your screenshots look clear, but a little bit dark. Maybe it's the time of day you took the screenshots, or maybe I forgot how dark the coloring is in RCT3.  ???

Yeah my main goal is for ultra realism, getting the littlest details that make it pop into life. Thank you! Definitely further than where i was a year ago on here!

As far as the rocks in the lake, that area is nowhere near done, still having to put the gray jagged rocks down with the mossy ones. Then I'm gonna have to find some trees and tall grass that match. Should be my next update but we shall see! As for the coloring I have no clue, I haven't changed anything, could be you are used to pc vs rct3 but Ill mess around and see if it anything i may have done.

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 01:47 PM »
This is looking great man! Keep up the good work. I like the elements the coaster goes through. Seems to be working nicely with teh scenery you're creating. Again, well done!

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 10:09 PM »
This is looking great man! Keep up the good work. I like the elements the coaster goes through. Seems to be working nicely with teh scenery you're creating. Again, well done!

Thanks! I haven't really narrowed down what geographic part of the states it's located within... But then again I can just use the excuse of the scenery is built for the ride and not necessarily natural lol so hopefully it doesn't start to falter!

********************************************************************************

There is an update coming! However, I had to tear all the grass up in my backyard... about .66 acres by myself... and it's florida.... at 80-90 degrees... 3000000% humidity... and pull a 40 hour work week...

Bare with me!!! There is not much too post right now as is, but if i can get what I want done by tomorrow night it will have a HUGE impact on the project!

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Always on the move
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 10:36 PM »
This is looking awesome! It's simple but effective. Adding touches of realism in rct3 takes a lot of patience but its definitely  paying off! Keep up the good work!  :up:

Offline The Grey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 12:01 PM »
This is looking awesome! It's simple but effective. Adding touches of realism in rct3 takes a lot of patience but its definitely  paying off! Keep up the good work!  :up:

Thank you! Hoping these next photos are justifiable for the delay!

*************************************************************************************

Along this past week or so trying to get to a stopping point before the next update I was hospitalized with some heart complications, I am ok, but still not 100% but lets focus on the positives! COASTERS!

Overview on what I have thus far. It is slowly growing but it is taking time, but thank you all for being patient!

Just wanted to show my attention to detail. I have I-beams supporting the span of the bridge here

More sidewalk art. Like?

I know I am trying to get over to the drop section, but I am still trying to tie in everything from one side to the other! I guess I can build in the areas I want, and then fill in the rest later? Maybe! Anywho, Hope you enjoy this update!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:40 PM by The Grey »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Stinger - A Mid-to-late 2000's Invert [Update 4]
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08 PM »
Some great shots in this update! I love the sidewalk art in the last pic, although the I'm not quite sure about the stark white sidewalk. Maybe darken it just a tad.

Sorry to hear of your health problems. Glad you're okay and hope you continue to improve.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 03:31 PM »
Really nice tulips. :)  And BIG! I didn't realize how big these designs were until I looked at the buildings next to them. It never occurred to me to add decorative shapes into path tiles till I saw cody adding 'sidewalk art' to his parks. I like the idea of it, and the looks of it. Only, I rarely use path covers in my parks; all those extra polys add up and I try to cut back wherever possible. Still, I can see myself making some sort of path cover artwork in a plaza, maybe. The white tiles look good with the tulips but like shyguy said, they are kinda bright. Maybe a neutral tan color, or even black. Black would give it a sort of Dutch folk art look. Actually, just about any color would work... but I do like the white. :)  (And take care of your ticker. :yes:)

Offline cody

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 04:55 PM »
Awesome use of the paths! I know it took me a while to figure out what to add to mine, and I have some ideas for future uses. Please stay positive and if you ever need someone to get you motivated whenever you need a friend, message me (or any of us really). Congrats on update 4 just keep on truckin'