Six Flags Arizona: Season #20 Scizzer 3000 and New Area!

• 85 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Six Flags Arizona: Season #10 - Six Flags Purchases the Park
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #10 1984

Here is the update you've all been waiting for, much has changed this season and I'll have to split it into two updates as one would just be WAYYY too big...

So just to give a rundown of the new changes.

Six Flags started a process of adding many more flowers/planters around the park as well as tidying up the previous ones. The most notable was at the entrance pathway where trees have been added and removed and the former "grass" filled planter is now filled with a beautiful flower garden. Speaking of the park entrance....

The new entrance featured an updated turnstyle system complete with handicap/stroller accessible lanes.

It matches the entrance plaza's western theme and even includes the new "star" logo!

Six literal flags have been added to the entrance plaza, five of these flags represent the five flags that have flown over Arizona, the similar concept to Over Texas and Over Georgia, however the "sixth flag" is the park's logo! The flags are the Spanish Empire, American, Mexican Empire, Arizona State Flag, and the Confederate States.

The entrance plaza itself didn't change much, although the cafe was renamed the "Six Flags Cafe."

Now upon entering Thrill City you notice an immediate change, yes Wave Rider has been moved and renamed.

It was put behind the ice cream stand and renamed Blue Wave.

This was its former spot. It was moved in order to make pathway room for the new area, Pirate Outpost. In its spot is a new games center!

Pirate Outpost is the area that took over the former "Port Phoenix" area.

The bathrooms were remodeled to give the plaza a "Spanish" hideaway/port town theme, Port Grille has remained and been renamed Pirate Grille.

Sea Monster was kept and moved to add pathway as well as given new signage.

The newest flatride for 1984 was Galleon, a swinging ship ride!

Galleon's signage really glows!

Of course we can't forget the marquis attraction of 1984, Calypso River!

Calypso River will be talked about and shown in depth in my next update, like I said this update is already too big!

Thanks for reading, stay tuned for an update all about Calypso River!  :D

-Scott

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:58 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #10 - Six Flags Purchases the Park
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 07:24 AM »
That new entrance and the other changes have really spruced the place up!  It looks quite like a 6F park now, at least the ones I've seen.  I look forward to the Calypso River.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #10 - Calypso River Open!
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Oh you just wait til I throw the advertisements everywhere then it'll really be a Six Flags park  :P
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #10 1984

Here is part two to my 1984 update. The marquis attraction of 1984 is of course Calypso River.

The entrance is accompanied by a new ice cream stand.

The queue is filled with imported palm trees and brush, this is to add to the theming.

The theming itself is minimal, but it does have a clear "pirate" theming to accompany the surrounding area.

The ride was manufactured by Intamin at the cost of $5.5 million.

The queue goes over the river to get to the station.

From the top of the queue you can see the miniature reservoir Six Flags has built to accompany the ride. All water is recirculated.

A small lift brings guests back to the station.

The end of the ride is the most exciting and promises to get you soaked!

Waterfalls and waterspouts hit guests with full force!

This is a picture taken by helicopter from 1984, showing the outline of the ride. It is very similar to Great Adventure's Roaring Rapids (now known as Congo Rapids).

As many of you may know Six Flags purchased Marriott's Great America this season as well, adding to the lineup of Six Flags theme parks.

With the purchase of Great America Six Flags acquired the rights to use Looney Tunes characters.

So stay tuned for 1985 when the Looney Tunes characters make their official debut in Six Flags Arizona!  ;)

-Scott

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #10 - Calypso River Open!
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 02:54 PM »
Reminds me of the river rapids at Astroworld.  I also like the realism water-cycle features :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #11 - The Looney Tunes are Here!
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 07:05 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Have you been there before it closed? That'd be cool! I would've loved to visit there before it shut down! And thanks very much Bullethead :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #11 1985

With the purchase of Great America, Six Flags now holds the rights to use Looney Tunes characters, and thus the new attraction in 1985 was a revamp of the children's area, Kiddie Cove.

Kiddie Cove is now called "Port Looney" for 1985.

Each ride has been renamed to accompany a Looney Tunes character.

The Grille has been renamed the "Looney Tunes Grille."

The balloon ride had been moved to the other side of the area and in its place a nice little fountain has been put there.

Some rides had been repainted too.

Here is the park map from 1985, as you can see the Looney Tunes characters have started making their impact on the park map too.

After all these changes Six Flags still isn't done, in the coming years we will see another park expansion as well as a new roller coaster and water ride, so stay tuned as the park really will transform slowly but surely!

Thanks for reading.

-Scott

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Great map, not just the presentation but the organic park layout as well.   :up:

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Have you been there before it closed? That'd be cool! I would've loved to visit there before it shut down! And thanks very much Bullethead :D

Yup, circa 1980 I was living in Houston finishing up high school and had a car, so I went to Astroworld several times a year.  I rode the river rapids within a week of its debut and thereby contributed somewhat to the design evolution of these rides (and ruined some of the fun for everybody since then :D ).  See, this was the very 1st such ride in the world and so initially there were some exploits open to high school delinquents intent on breaking the rules.  Most importantly, there were no track boundaries in the wider pools--the ride just relied on a strong central current to sweep the rafts along.  However, a raft full of rebellious teens working together could steer the raft out of the intended channel by coordinated rocking.  Once out of the strong central current, the raft would get into the eddies along the walls of the pool and could stay there indefinitely if desired.  This allowed nearly infinite ride duration and also allowed the raft to get under the waterfalls around the edges, which were intended solely for decoration, so we could get MUCH wetter than intended.  We couldn't overdo this, however, as the water didn't drain as fast as it came in, so there was some danger of capsizing the raft  So we'd go around the walls once or twice, letting several other rafts pass us, and then continue on.

Park management apparently took a dim view of this.  While we suffered no repercussions, when I returned to Astroworld a few months later, they'd installed guide rails along the main channels, such as in the wide track sections in PC, to keep rafts on course.  And so it's been in all newer raft rides I've seen in later years.  Bummer :(.  They didn't even put a plaque on the rails giving me credit for them  :down:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the park map from 1985, as you can see the Looney Tunes characters have started making their impact on the park map too.

After all these changes Six Flags still isn't done, in the coming years we will see another park expansion as well as a new roller coaster and water ride, so stay tuned as the park really will transform slowly but surely!

Yup, now it looks even more 6F-ish :)  And I really like that map!
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Have you thought about adding any Looney Tunes characters to the area? I found a Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird on the Workshop.

Just an idea...
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 09:22 PM »
I like the bright new primary colors of the balloon ride. They fit right in with the cartoon/Looney Tunes theme.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #12 - Goodbye Double Corkscrew
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2019, 10:14 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

That's an awesome story! I have an idea to incorporate something from Astroworld into this park in later years, not a promise, but as I get closer to the mid 2000's I might have something up my sleeve :up: And thanks again :)

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thank you  :D

Spoiler (hover to show)

I didn't think about that at all tbh, I'm gonna check that out for sure thanks for giving me the heads up  :D

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks a lot!  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #12 1986

With the last two seasons being a blast, this season did not bring much to the table.

However later in the season the park did break the news to their fans that Double Corkscrew would not be returning for the 1987 season, instead an expansion filled with 2 flat rides, and a new water ride would take over its former spot.

So I figured for this update I'd showcase Double Corkscrew's last season!

The queue would be completely razed for the expansion, the last remnant of Vintage Autos would be completely gone.

DECONSTRUCTION PHOTOS September 8, 1986

----------------------

I did find some concept art for the new area that would open in 1987, I figured I'd share it with you guys before I showcase the new area to you guys.

Stay tuned for 1987! And as always thanks for reading! :)
-Scott

Offline zacharyshyguy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2019, 12:05 PM »
What happened after Double Corkscrew removed? what did someone sell that coaster?
Zachary Lunsford

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Those are some nice shots of the Corkscrew. Too bad it's being removed.  :(

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2019, 04:29 PM »
I wonder what was built in its place?

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2019, 04:35 PM »
I raise my highball glass to the shade of Double Corkscrew.  They just don't make them like that anymore, especially with all the niffy custom supports  :euro:

Oh well, SIC TRANSIT GLORIA ET MEMENTO MORI.  Such is the circle of life of rides.  I look forward to the new rides.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Online Walle_Epcot

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2019, 09:05 AM »
This really reminds me of what the six flags brand looked like in the 80s (as far as I can tell from youtube and the internet). I'm guessing that in the 90s we'll see an explosion of coasters???

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #13 - American Avenue Now Open!
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Season #13, 1987

Happy July 4 everyone!

This season was a BIG one! This set in stone the fact that Six Flags was willing to expand the very small park and make it into something much better. Six Flags had begun pouring money into this park, and attendance started skyrocketing.

Although Double Corkscrew was missed by many guests, they were delighted with what they saw this season!

A new type of flat ride debuted this year, Cardinal. It was almost as high as Desperado, and could be seen from just about anywhere in the park!

A new area had been made in Double Corkscrew's old spot. It was dubbed American Avenue, and carried a very generic theme.

A small gift shop, dubbed Americana opened with the area.

The biggest attraction was yet another water ride, being the park's third! It is called Wonderland Splashdown, a nod to the park's old name.

It gets you wet! When exiting guests also have the option to exit normally or exit back over the splashdown area, giving them a second chance at getting soaked!

A reservoir was built just below, and all water is recirculated.

It can be seen right from Galleon's queue, and it towers over Calypso River.

Space Shuttle was the other flat ride to be added, and it was quite popular!

Two food stands were added, Chief Beef and the Pizza Pen.

An ice cream stand called Udderworldly Ice Cream was also added!

The whole area gives a "main street" suburban city feel.

Cardinal definitely stole the show however, as guests have seen nothing like it before now!

It was placed almost directly over Double Corkscrew's old station.

Happy 4th of July again everyone!

I did find some raw home video footage from 1987 to share with you guys, keep in mind the footage is old and quality is not the best! It shows a little bit of everything as well as some of the 4th of July fireworks! Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:40 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Lots of great new additions in this update! I'm definitely getting that Six Flags vibe.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 04:30 PM »
I liked the 'home movie' footage. :)  In the Wonderland Splashdown pic, it looks like the sign on the restroom says 'Monkey'. What, you have a restroom for monkeys?? Then I zoomed in a little closer and saw that it said 'Women'... Oh. That's different... never mind. :P

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2019, 06:24 PM »
How'd they get enough water in AZ to make 3 water rides? :D
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #14 - Many improvements!
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Lots of great new additions in this update! I'm definitely getting that Six Flags vibe.

Oh just wait til Time Warner comes along in the 90's! I got big plans :up:

I liked the 'home movie' footage. :)  In the Wonderland Splashdown pic, it looks like the sign on the restroom says 'Monkey'. What, you have a restroom for monkeys?? Then I zoomed in a little closer and saw that it said 'Women'... Oh. That's different... never mind. :P

Thank you! And yes no monkeys in this park, we'd have to wait til Planet Zoo comes out for that! :D

How'd they get enough water in AZ to make 3 water rides? :D

Ahhh the million dollar question :P unfortunately Six Flags hasn't released their techniques so it shall remain a mystery  ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #14 1988

A lot had happened this season as far as park improvements! Although there were no new attraction this season per say, there were many new things added!

A new ticket entrance for the parking lot was added, small, generic, yet it did the job well. The entrance is a bit nicer today, but not by much of course, we must remember this is a Six Flags park!

The old employee parking lot was removed and replaced with a larger employee complex by Desperado, which offered employees many good views of it!

The old employee complex would still be standing and used partially until 2000 when a coaster took its spot.

The front of the parking lot was shrunk and dug up to add room for more attractions, although nothing was added here yet, something would be added soon and Six Flags thought ahead.

Port Looney was renamed Port Bugs (SIDENOTE: Blueprint for Bunny head wasn't made by me, although I made many changes to the blueprint to make it look more like Bugs Bunny, the base for the bunny head was taken from the blueprint)

New brick pathway was laid down as well in the kids area to get rid of the old crumbling pathway.

The old show stage would be removed and replaced, this was the last known picture of it.

In its place would be a new show stage, smaller, yet more modern.

The area around the new showstage is very barren for now, but that would change in the coming years with the new kids area being put here!

Next season would bring the addition of a "new" relocated coaster, although this coaster was more popular in the late 70's and early 80's, Six Flags seemed to take a liking to them, and still added them to parks into the 90's!

Can you guess what kind of coaster will be added for 1989?! Stay tuned  :up:
-Scott

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #14 - Many Improvements
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Quote: "Can you guess what kind of coaster will be added for 1989?!"

If it weren't for the fact that you already had (and removed) a double corkscrew coaster, I would say that. (Like the one that used to be at Knott's Berry Farm). Maybe you're bringing it back?

In the next to last pic, it looks like that peep has a pumpkin for a head. :P  I'll just assume it's an orange-haired lady. But still...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 02:07 PM by JB »

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2019, 05:05 PM »
This is looking nice. I like the fact you are doing a seasonal/date approach to your posts. It does make this park more realistic and only makes me want to keep watch on this awesome project.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2019, 08:39 PM »
Awesome job on this so far! I agree with Cody that the seasonal updates makes this more realistic and more exciting to see how the park evolves in each update.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2019, 09:53 AM »
You're somehow making the barrenness of the desert look quite attractive ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #15 - VIPER Opens to Public
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Quote: "Can you guess what kind of coaster will be added for 1989?!"

If it weren't for the fact that you already had (and removed) a double corkscrew coaster, I would say that. (Like the one that used to be at Knott's Berry Farm). Maybe you're bringing it back?

In the next to last pic, it looks like that peep has a pumpkin for a head. :P  I'll just assume it's an orange-haired lady. But still...

Nope not an Arrow but a good ole Schwarzkopf! And lol I just noticed that after you said that, I certainly hope there's no pumpkin on her head considering it's only July  ;D

This is looking nice. I like the fact you are doing a seasonal/date approach to your posts. It does make this park more realistic and only makes me want to keep watch on this awesome project.
Thanks a lot! I appreciate that :D

Awesome job on this so far! I agree with Cody that the seasonal updates makes this more realistic and more exciting to see how the park evolves in each update.
Thanks so much!  :)

You're somehow making the barrenness of the desert look quite attractive ;)
I'm certainly trying, thanks Bullethead  B)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #15 1989

This season saw the introduction of VIPER, a Schwarzkopf Flywheel coaster!

During the 80's and 90's Six Flags tended to use the Viper name a lot.

To date this would make Six Flags Arizona one of the SIX Six Flags parks to have a coaster named Viper in their history!

The station and surrounding area were very lightly themed. An attempt at a southwestern theme was given to fit the surrounding Fiesta Square area. Light theming would be an infamous trademark of Six Flags in the late 80's, and wouldn't change until the 90's came.

Located in Fiesta Square, it has taken over the area that was part of the parking lot and the Mexelente restaurant.

The coaster was relocated from another theme park, so although not new per-say, it was new to the park!

The entrance featured a Viper sticking out of the sign! A cool feature!

The ride stands at 137 feet tall and has an almost 60 mph launch!

It has certainly changed the entire entrance area, giving guests a taste of what they're in for before even stepping inside!

At night the ride lights up!

Lights were draped around the launch area, giving a great photo op at night!

Of course this may be a coaster with a "recycled" name from Six Flags, it most certainly won't be the last coaster with a "recycled" name!

Viper would continue to excite guests for many years until its removal in the mid 2000's.

1990 would see a new kids area be introduced! Stay tuned for that one! And as always thanks for reading.

-Scott

Offline cranedude

• "Discount Marble Madness."
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Wow introduce a new coaster and say that same update it's going away in the 2000's...
RIP. Hope Viper gets relocated rather than scrapped when it's removal inevitably comes
Also, epic update
"I guess this is why the hairs on our neck stand up every time we walk into a Sears."

FAIRLY ODD FANS FOR THE WIN!

Offline WeepinnWillow

• Six Flags New Orleans historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2019, 02:36 PM »
Hi, God here. Rest assured, Viper is doing well in its new home at Heaven Theme Park.

In all seriousness though, this honestly feels like a real Six Flags. Good work.

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2019, 06:01 PM »
Awesome job, I love the updates!

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2019, 04:42 AM »
Man, that's a beautiful coaster. It really complements the area. Great work!!

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Six Flags Arizona: Season #16 - Kids Area Announced!
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

I know it's been almost a month since I updated, and it's because of two reasons, one I've been very busy lately and haven't had much Planet Coaster time, and two..... this park is starting to bore me a little.

Now I have opened the park and done some work on it, but there is just a lot I don't like about how the park is right now. There is much more I can do to make it a better and more realistic park, so I decided I won't give up on it. I was very close to abandoning this park because of how much work I'm going to have to do to it to make myself happy, but rest assured I am doing it!

Over the next few updates the park will change pretty dramatically (maybe not to you guys but definitely to me), with huge changes such as....

A revamped parking lot, because simply the parking lot I made originally just flat out sucked.

Lots of building redos- because many of the buildings in this park I made half a$$ed.

Lots of scenery and foliage improvements.

Path reworking.

And any other things I can find to make it better.

Now this will take some time because it may not seem like a lot, but I'm literally tweaking every section of the park, so far the parking lot and some building work is all I've started.

But like I said to any of the fans of this project, it is not dead and I promise to make this park even better than before! :)

But here's a teaser of what the next update will entail....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #15 1989

With the season coming towards a close, Six Flags released some concept art for a new children's area.

Consisting of three new rides, a new food stand, and a show venue, Looney Tunes Raceway would open for the 1990 season. Today this kids area has seen improvements, but it is still a thriving kids area right past the entrance, making it a go to spot for parents!

Here is the concept art Six Flags released at the close of 1989.

Stay tuned! Next update I will showcase the opening of the kids area. Thanks for reading!
-Scott