Six Flags Arizona: Season #20 Scizzer 3000 and New Area!

• 84 replies

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Hey guys! So let me give you a rundown of what I'm doing here. Essentially this park will have a story and I will try to be as realistic as possible. The park will grow over time with new additions, and maybe even new owners to spice things up. I've had this whole park planned out in my head since literally the RCT3 days, and I've attempted it multiple times on RCT3 and was never happy. I also attempted it once in P.C. and it's now sitting in my park files, 75% complete. So what I did was is I combined the many ideas I've gotten from the multiple attempts at this park and created this current version of Arizona's Wonderland. Since I've just gotten a new PC I am now also able to run Planet Coaster super smoothly, (5000 Peeps and not a single ounce of lag). So here goes;
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present Day
Hello my name is Scott Bottomley, a theme park enthusiast in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Here on these forums I will be compiling a yearbook for each season of my local theme park. I strive to create an extensive yearbook all up until present day where I will be keeping you guys updated on the park in its current state.

Let's start with the background.

Arizona's Wonderland opened on July 7, 1975. It is situated right outside the Phoenix metropolitan area off of State Route 10. The state of Arizona was severely lacking in the theme park department until this park came along. A multi-millionaire named Liam Bott actually started this park, envisioning Arizona's own "Disneyland." Of course this idea was a bit far fetched, and what came out was a beautiful family park situated in a prime location with pretty decent theming, but not too decent (considering the budget). Although the budget was tighter than Bott hoped, this park was and still is a major success.
Yearbook Season #1; Opening day; 1975

Here are some pictures compiled from opening day.

The entrance looked much different back then!

The first thing you see when you enter the park; the Grande Carousel and the beautiful fountain.

The whole entrance is themed to a western town, a nod to Arizona's past.

The biggest section of the park is also western themed, it is dubbed "The Frontier" and contains the park's only roller coaster.

The most popular flat ride at the time was Wagon Wheel, and for good reason!

Log Creek still excites guests today, but look at the lines back then!

You could see your friends and family getting soaked from this view!

The park's only theater at the time, Fort Wonder Theatre.

The park's first roller coaster, Arizona Mine Train, an Arrow mine train, still entertains people today!

The coaster's station is themed to a mining company.

And the area also has old west buildings to accompany this theme.

This view is certainly different now!

The park's biggest restaurant - still - is dubbed "Western's Best"

A small fountain greeted guests as the sections intertwined.

A fireworks display signaled nighttime at Arizona's Wonderland.

I will be showing the rest of the park's on opening day in my next update, this update is already big enough. Until next time!

-Scott

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 09:25 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #1
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 03:34 PM »
So far, a nice little park. I like the simple, western theme that is consistent throughout the park. The landscaping is well done, too. Everything looks very realistic with nothing over-the-top. I look forward to seeing this progress.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I love this. Great Job!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I like how the buildings, especially in the first few pics, look like they've been baking in the Arizona sun for a few decades-  no bright saturated colors; they blend in with the location. Like shyguy noted, the greenery is just right for this type of landscape; enough, but not too much. (Arizona is not known for its lush rain forests. :P) Looking forward to seeing more of this park.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thank you very much! It means a lot  :D Unfortunately I will disappoint you though with this update lol, even though the majority of the park is western/southwestern themed, about a 1/3 of the park is themed differently as you'll see here. I was going to do a fully western themed park but I decided to change it up.

Spoiler (hover to show)
Thank you very much!

Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks so much! I actually went tree-killing when I finalized this park lol, I was going through basically like "nope too many trees." So I'm glad you feel that way!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this update I will be showing the rest of the park on opening day, 1975.

Here is the original 1975 park map, keep in mind it is old!

The biggest clothing store in the park was once called Arizona Style!

The area of the park was an unnamed boardwalk-esque area. It had many places to eat, multiple flat rides, and of course games!

The park's ferris wheel graced the skyline of this area.

From here you can see the major restaurant in the area, at the time called "6 States Diner."

An EXTREMELY popular Antique Cars ride dubbed Vintage Autos once was here. Although it was popular it only operated for 3 seasons!

Behind the boardwalk area was a British-Port themed area dubbed Port Phoenix. This area at the time was tucked away and a bit neglected.

It had 3 flat rides and even a Grille! But as you see from these pictures on opening day, the area was really just in a bad location.

Another themed area dubbed "Kiddie Cove" opened with the park. Of course today it is still a kids area, but under a much different design!

The final area that opened with the park was dubbed Fiesta Square.

This area was southwestern themed and contained many latin-themed flat rides and places to eat, such as Mexelente!

The main flat ride was Mareado, Spanish for "Dizzy."

Another place to eat was called Delicioso! and had many options.

A ride tucked away in the corner of the area was dubbed Tea Fiesta, and played Mexican music as you spun around in the teacups!

That will be all for my opening day update!

This will also be the end of the season 1 update! Stay tuned for 1976!

-Scott

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Nice update. :)  I like the 'cheap' grainy printing on your old park map; even the colors are out of register. :up:  Some of the names are really hard to read though. Maybe if the black text was outlined in white (or vice versa)?

I also like the names of some of the rides: Bumper 2 Bumper, such a natural choice and yet I've never thought of it before (I might have to steal it); Party Train for the Music Express ride; and Vintage Autos, as if it was a vintage car show. And I like the names on the restrooms in the Kiddie Kove area-  Pirate Boys & Pirate Girls.

Speaking of restrooms-  I think you need more of them in the park. Several of the screenshots have peeps in varying states of desperation. I think that one guy is relieving himself in the bottom right corner of the screen. :P

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:14 PM »
It looks fantastic. The style of 1973 is perfectly captured. The image editing is superb.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #2
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks very much, and hey take the name idc!  ;D And yeah I apologize about the map, I even thought it was hard to read but I was too lazy to change it lol. And yes oh I noticed the bathroom situation, I forgot to cap the guests and I basically just let my park run and it hit 6000 guests and in its current state I don't have enough facilities to handle that many LOL and I was just like oh snap my bathrooms are getting destroyed in this park, I will alleviate that problem as time goes on slowly but surely, as you'll see in this update. Thanks again for the comment!

Spoiler (hover to show)
Thanks a lot! I was trying to edit them just enough so you still see the natural P.C. beauty but still notice that it looks old so much appreciated :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #2 1976

On this update I will be highlighting the second park season, 1976.

Not much happened this season except for some added drink stands, and restroom changes.

The Diner at this time was in a much different state.

A small flat ride in the Port Phoenix area dubbed "Fast Winds" was removed and only lasted the first season. Instead a much needed bathroom was added in its spot.

However the area still was desolate in 1976, that would change over the coming seasons.

Unfortunately Vintage Autos would soon meet its fate, it only has one season left... but look how popular it was!

The bathroom in the Fiesta Square area was completely remodeled and expanded. The original bathroom was quickly put together and very small, for the 1976 season it became much bigger and has a different look!

Nothing much changed in the entrance area.

I found this old brochure cover from 1976!

That is all for this season.

The next season not much happened either, however I will showcase a few brochure pictures/postcards from 1977 in my next update!

Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:07 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #2
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 04:14 PM »
With all the nice new restrooms, the guests shouldn't be doing the 'potty dance' much anymore. :D  I like all the different styles of Spanish Mission architecture you're using; some of it in good shape, like the new restrooms in the Port Phoenix area. And some of it looks old and crumbling, like the Lookout Ice Cream stand.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #3
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 07:13 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thank you! And yeah hopefully they can all find the bathroom now  :sweat:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #3 1977

Almost nothing new came this season, so instead of updating what came, I'll show you some more old brochure photos I found from 1977!

This would unfortunately be Vintage Auto's last season. The popular ride would be removed for an even more popular roller coaster.... stay tuned for the 1978 update!
-Scott

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #4; New Coaster Added!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Season #4 1978

As you can see the skyline of the park changed forever this year!

A new coaster built by Arrow was built in the spot previously taken by Vintage Autos.

Double Corkscrew, an Arrow looper was built and as you can see here it was quite popular.

It used part of Vintage Auto's original queue line and even part of the original entrance, while expanding on the rest of the queue to handle the crowds.

It could be better seen from the Port Phoenix area.

At night you can see the coaster from almost anywhere in the park, here is from the main entrance seating area.

Here, you can just barely see it hugging the skyline of the still unnamed midway section, along with the ferris wheel.

That's all for this update! Stay tuned for some drastic changes about to occur next season!
-Scott

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #4; Fire!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Season #4 1978 Update 2

Season number 4 did not end in the best way however, 6 States Diner caught on fire towards the end of the season.

It was a kitchen fire, but it did not take long for the whole structure to be engulfed.

The fire department and helicopters were on scene to quell the fire.

Unfortunately the roof collapsed.

The 6 States Diner would be removed for the 1978 season, being a total loss.

Ironically this would coincide with the already planned revamp of the "midway" section. A new restaurant would take its place.

Stay tuned for the 1979 season and the newly revamped section!

-Scott
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:37 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #4; Fire!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 02:48 PM »
I like the 2nd pic best. It's like we were walking in the general area and happened to catch a glimpse of the fire through the buildings and trees. Adds to the realism.

The story about the fire (and showing us the images) is a neat way to make changes in the park. :)  Better than "I needed room for something else, so I got rid of it." :P

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #5: Thrill City Opens!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 07:36 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks! Truth be told I hated that building and wanted a way to get rid of it  ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #5 1979

This season there were some minor improvements all around the park. Let's take a look at them.

First, a fence was put up on the left side of the park entrance, guests seemed to be hopping the shorter fence to get into the park without paying.

A coffee stand was added near the Arizona Mine Train. This would be one of the first of many "stands" to pop up around the park, especially currently.

This would be the last picture of the former picnic pavilion spot. The picnic pavilion would be moved by Arizona Mine Train connected to the parking lot for next season. This is because of the "no food or drink" policy being hard to enforce when the picnic center was in the back of the park.

The most major change this season was the long awaited naming of the "midway" section of the park. It has been called "Thrill City."

New, more permanent stands replaced old stands.

A new fully fledged restaurant, with a wait staff and full service kitchen opened in the former spot of the "6 States Diner." A picture of the now gone Diner still hangs on the wall.

The restaurant is dead center of the midway, giving very cool views of the outside.

A new ice cream stand opened on the former spot of "Scizzer." Scizzer was a temporary ride, and thus once it served its purpose it was no longer needed.

Here is the other entrance for Thrill City.

I'll leave you guys off with this. This is the former spot of Lookout Ice Cream. The stand was torn down for this season, as was the signage for "Port Phoenix." The area would be revamped in the coming years, however for now it is still the least visited area of the park.

Thanks for reading!

-Scott

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:38 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »
I love this project!  Looking quite realistic.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 12:15 PM »
This update has lots of nice additions. And I really like the look of the newly refurbished restaurant.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 10:25 PM »
I like the "Speed Limit  FUN" sign at the entrance to Thrill City. :)

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #6
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
Thanks so much! That's what I'm trying for! ;)

Spoiler (hover to show)
Appreciate that, I had to get rid of the old one I hated it, I'm glad you like the new one!

Spoiler (hover to show)
Of course! Need the peeps to know they're about to have fun :up:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Season #6 1980

Small changes this season, the most major being the picnic pavilion change which I will show. But for this update I will show you guys some night shots of the park, something I felt I've been lacking to show.

First off here is the theater looking from the employee parking lot!

The parking lot at sunset.

The old picnic pavilion was moved from the back of the park, here is its former location, fenced off.

Here is the new location right next to the parking lot.

Lastly, here is a picture of some land clearing behind Tea Fiesta, a huge new addition would come for the 1981 season! A whole new wooden roller coaster and a whole new themed area! The next update will highlight those additions. Stay tuned!
-Scott

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I always like to see parks in various lighting conditions. Daytime, late afternoon, nighttime; each gives a park a different look and feel. I like how the cobblestone pavement in the second pic is lit with muted highlights and long shadows. The street scene (5th pic) is my favorite. :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #6
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Wow, I somehow missed this.  Have I been gone that long?

Anyway, this is some excellent work and I love the narrative showing how the parked changed.  Keep it up!

But really, that restaurant fire seems a bit suspicious to me.  Quite a coincidence that it was going to be revamped just then, and maybe the cash flow was a little tight so an injection of insurance money might have helped with that project.  I'm sure the fire marshal investigating the fire asked a lot of questions about that :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Yearbook Season #7: DESPERADO
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
Season #7 1981

Big changes this season! A huge 110 foot wooden roller coaster named DESPERADO debuts!

At the time Desperado was one of the tallest roller coasters in the world, and comparable to Kings Island's Beast as far as intensity at the time.

Upon entering the park this season you would have seen a completely new skyline!

Look at that drop!

A new area, named Desperado's Den has opened with the ride.

The area is themed to a Spanish southwestern mission town, and contains a new, very large restroom, some food stands, and a flat ride.

The bathrooms are so close to Double Corkscrew that it was said that you could hear the rumble of the trains as you... well you know!

Calypso was moved from the Port Phoenix section and repainted/renamed as Fuego to fit in with the new Desperado's Den section.

A view of the long queue!

Desperado truly towered over the rest of the park at the time!

Thanks for reading!
-Scott

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:59 AM by Cinestri0 »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
I really like the classic parallel hill layout of Desperado ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I'm liking the desert setting of this park more and more with each update, Cinestri0. :)  I like how Desperado sits out in the open, surrounded by sand, scrub, and a few trees and cactuses. With its natural wood supports, it fits right in with the arid landscape. And I like the plaza in the middle of the Desperado's Den area.

Quote: "The bathrooms are so close to Double Corkscrew that it was said that you could hear the rumble of the trains as you... well you know!"

No. I don't. What are you getting at? :P

The ride sign for Fuego looks cool (or should I say 'hot'? ;)) It has elements of mission architecture but with a little modern-day pizzazz. (I don't think the Franciscan priests added flames to the entrances of their Missions. :P)

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Spoiler (hover to show)
Seasons 8-9 1982-1983

This update will engulf two seasons as only small changes were made these two seasons. This update will prepare for next season, aka my biggest update yet!

The Port Phoenix area was completely walled off in 1982.

Sea Monster can be seen just over the tip of the fence, SBNO.

Desperado's popularity has allowed the park visitors number to swell to over 1.3 million visitors in 1982!

While Arrow has made bigger and better rides by 1982, Double Corkscrew still was a hit with many park guests.

This is a shot from the top of Desperado.

And from the log flume.

This is the last known picture of the old park entrance, the park entrance would be completely remodeled for the 1984 season along with the change in ownership.

Next season would be the park's biggest season since opening! A change in ownership, a revamped area, new rides, and updates all around the park. Stay tuned for my biggest update on this park yet for the 1984 season!

-Scott

Before I scrolled down to end of the text I thought "this park deserves better than that entrance," and lo and behold your brain was already there.  Excited to see what you come up with.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Very nice, realistic pics of realistic rides.  I look forward to the new entrance and the rest of the remodeling :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Six Flags purchases the park!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Spoiler (hover to show)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In late 1983 it was announced that ownership changed in the park. Six Flags purchased the park in August 1983, and immediately started construction on their new ideas, such as a new area, a river rapids ride, a new flat ride, and overall improvements in the park that would come in 1984.

Six Flags decided to drop the Wonderland name from the park as it was deemed to be too "wordy." However with Six Flags' purchase of the park, attendance would skyrocket for the 1984 season.

Here is a news article from 1983 announcing the purchase;

Next update I will be showing the massive changes Six Flags makes to the park starting for the 1984 season!

Stay tuned to see Six Flags Arizona!
-Scott

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona's Wonderland - Six Flags Purchases the Park!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Hopefully Six Flags doesn't ruin the rustic charm of this park. ;)

Now can you show us page 7 of the Herald so I can finish reading the article on the giant chicken? :P

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Ha ha!!  Katy Perry is a very opinionated columnist.  I'm guessing this was before she made it big in music? Wait a minute....must be a different Katy Perry.  The singer was born in 1984.  Anderson Looper cracked me up too.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 08:02 PM »
LOL, that newspaper is hilarious ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page