Sandcrawler (The Cube Rideskin) [WIP]

• 9 replies

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
Sandcrawler (The Cube Rideskin) [WIP]
« on: June 27, 2019, 12:20 AM »
Hello Lovely Peeps :D Among my many Projects i have started a Rideskin for the Cube. I present to you The "Sandcrawler":

It is not done yet, i have to dress the complete Inside of the Thing, but at least i have the Outer Shell done :D

Re: Sandcrawler (The Cube Rideskin) [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:38 AM »
Amazing job.  How you perfectly sculpted those pieces into the exact shape is astounding.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 05:59 AM »
Amazing job.  How you perfectly sculpted those pieces into the exact shape is astounding.

Thank you very kindly Sir :D

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Wow, that's fantastic!  As JP says, fitting that together must have been a pain.  Where'd you get the angled pieces to make the possible?  Or are the angled seams all a bunch of slightly rotated rectangles which are then plastered over with surface details?  I tried the latter approach, on a MUCH smaller scale, on a tetrahedral building once and swore never again ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Very good work. I really wanted to add one of these to my Star Wars park when I was building it, but never really made room for one or planned how to make it useful. Maybe one day I will go back and remodel that park with all these new pieces and some of the stuff people are putting out in TMTK.

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 12:58 PM »
Wow, that's fantastic!  As JP says, fitting that together must have been a pain.  Where'd you get the angled pieces to make the possible?  Or are the angled seams all a bunch of slightly rotated rectangles which are then plastered over with surface details?  I tried the latter approach, on a MUCH smaller scale, on a tetrahedral building once and swore never again ;)

The Seam in the Front is the best thing to hide the overlapping parts of the Pieces, because they are basically sunk into the Sandcrawler. If i didn't have that seam to hide that i would go insane, yes. I had some Experience while building the crashed Snowspeeder, which essentially is all weird angles that can't be done with angle Snap. Thank you very much for your Compliment :D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:20 PM by Crowdpleaser »

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 01:00 PM »
Very good work. I really wanted to add one of these to my Star Wars park when I was building it, but never really made room for one or planned how to make it useful. Maybe one day I will go back and remodel that park with all these new pieces and some of the stuff people are putting out in TMTK.
I would be honored :D but be aware it is quite big, because it houses the Cube. I didn't use any TMT Items in this Build. I hope i am done with it soon :D

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46 PM »
The Sandcrawler looks great! Now all it needs are a few Jawas and Droids messing around on the outside. ;)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33 PM »
The Seem in the Front is the best thing to hide the overlapping parts of the Pieces, because they are basically sunk into the Sandcrawler. If i didn't have that seem to hide that i would go insane, yes. I had some Experience while building the crashed Snowspeeder, which essentially is all weird angles that can't be done with angle Snap. Thank you very much for your Compliment :D

Looking at the pic more closely, it appears you outlined the seams with long, narrow parts (signs?  fiberglass trim pieces?) parallel to the seams.  These could then hide the corners of square/rectangular panels making up the bulk of a facet of the crawler.  Genius!  I'll have to remember that trick next time I need to flagellate myself building something with weird angles :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Crowdpleaser

• Ugliest Man Alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2019, 09:13 PM »
Looking at the pic more closely, it appears you outlined the seams with long, narrow parts (signs?  fiberglass trim pieces?) parallel to the seams.  These could then hide the corners of square/rectangular panels making up the bulk of a facet of the crawler.  Genius!  I'll have to remember that trick next time I need to flagellate myself building something with weird angles :)

Aaah these Things, yes i forgot to mention: These are the little Wall Details along with the bigger ones from the Sci Fi Set. And indeed they are useful to hide some crimes :D