Tropical Storm Barry

• 19 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Tropical Storm Barry
« on: July 11, 2019, 07:16 PM »
This is OT but I only inhabit the PC section of SGW so the only people I know are here.  Thus, I figured this was the best place to post this.

Anyway, Barry is currently projected to pass pretty much right over me.  Maybe just a hair to the west, which is even worse as close to the center on the east side is the windiest, wettest place to be.  Fortunately, Barry isn't expected to have THAT much wind (just shy of Cat 1) but it's moving very slowly and so is expected to dump 1 - 2 FEET of water where I live.

Fortunately, I live on some of the highest ground in Lousy Anna, about 100 miles from the coast, so I'm totally safe from both storm surge and flash flooding.  But there could be tornadoes and trees will certainly fall, roads will wash out, etc.  Power will probably be down quite a while.  I have a whole-house generator so that won't bother me.

HOWEVER, as I'm a fireman, I expect to have a VERY busy weekend.  I doubt I'll be home much if at all for the next few days.  The Mississippi River right here has been well into flood stage since LAST DECEMBER without a break, and this has backed miles up all the local creeks, so there's nowhere for the rain to go.  Thus, we expect dramatic flooding along the creeks and various villages being cut off for a while due to bridges being under or even washed away.  Fortunately, there aren't many such areas in my bailiwick.  BUT, once we get done saving our own folks, we'll certainly go help those down on the surrounding floodplain.

So basically, if you don't hear from me for a while, it's probably because I'm busy ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Storm Barry
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 08:29 PM »
Well dang. Sounds like a 'perfect storm' for Louisiana, unfortunately; getting tons of rain where Nature can't deal with it for now. Take care of yourself, BH. And take care of those in your area. And we'll be expecting to hear from you and the Kerbals on down the road a ways. :)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:33 PM »
Be careful out there! Keep us posted when you can.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 05:38 AM »
hang in there and be safe.

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Stay safe buddy thanks for your hard work as a firefighter :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 05:58 AM »
Thanks all for the wellwishes ;)

It looks like the schedule's slipped about 12 hours since I went to bed about 2300 last night.  According to the latest official word (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/114505.shtml?cone#contents), landfall is going to be tomorrow afternoon instead of just after midnight tonight.  This means the damn thing is moving even slower than expected and I'm sure Derek remembers what happens with slow-moving tropical storms  :facepalm:

Oh well.  I joined up for the excitement and it's been fairly boring this year so far  ::)

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Yeah Allison way back in 2001, I believe.  That was a mess.  And of course hurricane Harvey...we were stranded in our apartment for 5 days surrounded by water.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Stay safe fella. Hope everything's ok.
I'll be thinking of you.
Hopefully chat soon :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Yeah Allison way back in 2001, I believe.  That was a mess.  And of course hurricane Harvey...we were stranded in our apartment for 5 days surrounded by water.

Exactly.  And from Houston's POV, Harvey was AT BEST a tropical storm.  Most of its stay there, it was either a depressing depression or even less.  And that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "no name" storm that caused the Great Flood of 2016 wasn't even a tropical system at all, just a normal dry-land rainstom on steroids.

Hurricanes blow things down and if you're any measurable distance inland that's all you have to worry about (if you're on the coast, storm surge--also a product of the wind--is your biggest worry).  Rainfall will probably only be 4-6" over a couple days, usually no problem.  So generally, after even a strong hurricane, if your roof stays intact, your main concern is how many weeks it will before before your electricity comes back.  With these slow tropical systems, however, you get FEET of rain and that causes massive damage that's not immediately apparent.  The buildings (mostly) all have roofs, the lights are (usually) still on, but every flooded building is uninhabitable for months if not totaled, and every flooded vehicle is totaled.  So many, many more people are affected from loss of home and/or job, and are on foot besides.  This can cause significant demographic changes.

Anyway, due to the storm being later than expected, I got to go home tonight.  But I'm back on the clock at dawn, and it'll be a long day, so I won't be up much longer.

Thanks again for all the good wishes and see you all when I can :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:50 AM »
Sounds like a lot of stressful days ahead for you.  I hope it's not as bad as expected, but it sure doesn't sound good.

Be safe my friend, and post updates when you can.
Will be thinking of you :)

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Update 1030 on Saturday:

Well, overnight more dry air got into the storm than the boffins expected so the north half of the circle is still pretty rain-free.  Thus, instead of things being busy here now, it won't be happening until this evening and through the night, and into tomorrow and Monday.  The real rain is only just now starting east of here, like by New Orleans, although folks in Alabama and Mississippi have been getting drowned for a while now.  Basically, the storm has to rotate about 90^ before that starts landing on me.

The wind, however, is already here.  The thing has become a small hurricane and we're getting significant gusts.  These will also increase most if not all of the night as the eye gets closer.

Anyway, due to all this, we just shut down our crisis center but will reconvene about 1800.  So for now I'm back home and am about to take a nap in expectation of a sleepless night.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 08:48 AM »
Be careful tonight!   :o

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 10:17 AM »
All the best! Stay safe.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Update 2200 Saturday.

Well, I went back to the station at 1200 as things looked like they were about to pick up, but all we really got was wind.  It peaked about 40 knots but has since died way down.  We had more or less constant light drizzle all day.  I wandered by my house a couple hours ago while in the neighborhood on other business, and had only 3/4" in my gauge.  A few small limbs and lots of leaves down but no trees.

The storm is currently passing my latitude on its way north and it's about 100 miles further west than anticipated this morning so that's good :).  It's also moving faster, which is also good.

Our saving grace has been the unexpected inflow of dry air from the NE, being sucked in and wrapping around the center.  This has put a real damper on the flow of watery air from the Gulf.  All day long there has been huge amounts of rain falling just offshore but as the storm rotates, these strong bands die right at the beach and all that's been coming ashore, for the most part, has been drizzle.  At our 1800 briefing, the boffins said they expected this to change within 2 hours and the bad shit start heading our way but so far that hasn't happened, and we'd still get 10-15" of rain out of this.  I don't see how that can happen as there's still an assload of dry air wrapped all around the top and west sides of the storm's center and that has to all get out of the way, and no more follow it, which doesn't seem to be happening.  The current NHC rainfall potential hasn't been updated since 1700 and still shows us in the 6-10" region, but that's looking unlikely to me, too.

So, I just handed command over to my relief for the night and am about to crash on the office futon just in case, but I really don't expect anything major to happen before sunup.  If the dry air keeps the brakes on, the concern is ultimately that the southern bands of strong rain, which are currently still offshore, will get dragged over us as the storm moves north.  However, by then they'll have been over land for 100 miles so will likely have lost a lot of their punch.

I say all this knocking on wood, not forgetting there's another wannabe something already making its way across the Atlantic and it's on the track that tends to lead in my direction, so we might be going through all this again next week.  But the difference between expectations and reality for Barry are really shocking.  We were told to expect just as much flooding as in 2016, from which this whole region still hasn't recovered, and of which we still have many bad memories.  So I feel safe in saying it's definitely not going to be that bad ;).

Anyway, it's been a long, if boring day sitting around while nothing happened and rechecking everything for the umpteenth time.  But hey, it all pays the same so I'm good with that :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Glad to hear things didn't get as bad as were predicted.
Keeping fingers crossed that the heavy rains never make it to your area.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Thank goodness! Glad you are okay.

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 04:24 AM »
Just remember, if there IS flooding, you can't blame me this time because this water is coming from an entirely different direction :P  [natural disaster humor.]   :whistling:

Never hurts to be overprepared and underwhelmed rather than the other way around.  Glad everything is holding steady for you so far, hope it stays that way and hope you stay safe.  But by all means, get drunk when it's over.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 08:01 AM »
Just remember, if there IS flooding, you can't blame me this time because this water is coming from an entirely different direction :P  [natural disaster humor.]   :whistling:

Yeah, different scapegoat this time ;)

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

Update 1000 Sunday

I got a pretty good night's sleep with nothing happening Yay!  I got away briefly to check my house and all is OK, still even have power.  Only lost 1 tree but it was on the treeline between my yard and the highway, and fell towards the highway blocking the ditch and most of the shoulder.  So that means the highway department has to get rid of it, not me.  Yay! :)  Also checked the rain gauge:  1.75" total for the 24 hrs ending at 0700 this morning, so yeah, we really dodged a bullet there.

This morning, the heavier rains are finally making it ashore as Barry stretched out north-south.  Some of these are spawning small tornadoes in the general region but none locally, thank the Dark Gods.  We expect this to mostly blow over in the next few hours and plan to secure from general quarters and resume normal underway watches at noon.  So I can finally go home to stay ;).

The radar is giving the impression of some circulation developing over Houston.  "Son of Barry" maybe?  So Derek might want to stock up on munchies.  Hope that turns out to be a nothing.

Anyway, barring something significant happening in the near future, this will be the last update from me on this storm.  I leave it's further progress to anybody else in the path of what's left.  It'll be bringing significant rain up through St. Louis and along the Ohio valley in the days to come.
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thank you for the update.  Still doesn't sound good though, just delayed and great news that your abode is still standing and only left you some firewood. 

Stay safe buddy. 

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 08:07 AM »
just curios so that I can track/watch what's going on. Can you share what town/city do you live in/by?