[TUT] Calculating Estimated Profit In-Game

• 0 replies

Offline StickyGum32

• Atonal Noise Maker
    • View Profile
    • Clay Barnard | Compositions
[TUT] Calculating Estimated Profit In-Game
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:20 AM »
This calculation would not be possible without the information found in the following two places:

These two articles give us all the info we need to correctly estimate in-game profits (within a $50 margin of error). From the first tutorial by andreizsmart, we learn how to calculate Hourly Capacity. The biggest pain is doing the ride duration, which has to include unload time, load time, and ride circuit. Be careful when timing your ride. If an inspection happens at any point during your timing, it's invalid and you have to restart.

I opted for doing two rounds of this, and them simply averaging the two runs. (# of seconds + # of seconds / 2 = Duration in seconds). After that, divide by 60 so that your time is in minutes; I usually keep only 2 decimal places.

Then we can plug this into andreizsmart's equations without to much hassle. For those who don't want to thread hop, his equation is [60 x # of Trains(T) x # of seats on a train (C)]/Duration in minutes.

I did this for two rides of mine: a log flume (Monthly Guests: ~125, Admission: $7.00, In-Game Profit: $138.17) and an RMC (Monthly Guests ~335, Admission: $8.00, In-Game Profit: $348.12). For my Flume, it had a duration of 3.03 minutes, 6 logs, and 6 peeps/log.

[60*6*6]/3.03
      2160/3.03
         ~713

The RMC came out with 2.53 minutes duration, 3 trains, and 24 guests per train. Totalled out to roughly 1708.

These numbers are your peeps per hour IRL. Now, we divide the numbers by 5. Why? Because thanks to that reddit article, we know that a month in game is 12 minutes IRL, and all of our time calculations are done IRL. Therefore, 60/12=5. So your peeps per hour/5 is your monthly in-game attendance at that attraction.

Flume: 142.6 Monthly Guests (I usually round down, I'd rather be under than over)
RMC: 341 Monthly Guests

With your Estimate of Monthly Guests, you multiply by the Admission to the ride.

Flume: 142 x $7 = $994
RMC: 341 x $8 = $2,728

Final step is to now subtract the ride operating costs. Once you've done this, you've got an estimated profit for the ride/attraction.

Estimated Flume Profit: $994 - $715.83 = $278.17
Actual Flume Profit: $159.36

Estimated RMC Profit: $2,728 - $1,916.11 = $811.89
Actual RMC Profit: $811.89 (not kidding, it was to the penny!)

What happened on the Flume's profit? These estimates are all based on the ride operating as planned. If the train stalls at the station for a second before raising the lap bars, if an inspection happens, a break-down, anything that impedes the action of the ride, it will lower your profit. This is what happened here. While I was away and calculating, the Flume had an inspection that caused the boats to back up, and thus be thrown off of their pattern. So post-inspection, the boats got loaded back-to-back, and then there was a large gap between the last and first boats. And yes, this really was long enough to tank the profit for the month.

Another thing that can severely alter your profit: Ride Load. If you have the ride set to Any Load, it can undercut your profits. Our calculations are an ideal: a full train for every train every time. This doesn't always happen. If it's a guest interest issue, I'd suggest investing in scenery and spruce up the place. If it's a ride operation issue, start tinkering with your ride's settings and get the fullest load possible.

Underneath the Spoiler below, I went ahead and ran another ride (Car Ride) to get some details on it. You can look if you'd like.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Personally, as someone who's interested in the management side of the game, I find this way more accurate on the coasters and flats. The tracked rides have limited seating for larger parties, and attendance is largely due to luck of who lines up when. I'm interested to know what you all think about all this as well.

- StickyGum32
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:20 AM by StickyGum32 »
Take a look at my portfolio! http://www.composerclay.com