Discovery Gardens

• 53 replies

Offline Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Discovery Gardens
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Expedition Grizzly is looking marvelous!
Love how the drop flows in the last screen
Looking forward to see more

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Twitter Info
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Do not want to say too much about this but here is a test-run POV of Grizzly Expedition. I am still working on some scenery placement and such but the roller coaster itself is at a point I feel good about sharing it! Season Two is coming!

It's kinda like being on a rollercoaster. If you don't get on the ride, you won't experience the adventure.
-Mariah Carey

Twitter: https://twitter.com/parkfusion
Instagram: @parkfusion
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/parkfusion

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 02:31 PM »
Yeah I hear you; I could never draw out plans. I have always improvised as I go. Nice POV!

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Unfortunately I usually end up changing some, if not most, of the plans once it is done.
It's kinda like being on a rollercoaster. If you don't get on the ride, you won't experience the adventure.
-Mariah Carey

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 07:47 AM »
First, a dumb question:  That skyline... is that part of one of the biome's?  Ghostbusters maybe?  I've never seen that before.  It almost looks like it could be built in-game, but I can't imagine you'd have gone to all that work without showing some screenshots of that...

But the ride:  Fun!  Felt maybe a little fast for some of the unbanked turns, but I'm not really an expert on that.  The third lift hill was a nice surprise, especially since what followed was the funnest part of the ride.  And for not being done with your theming, this entire ride is looking really good.  I'm kind of anxious now to see what you were planning to add to it.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

SEASON TWO

Discovery Gardens
March 1st, 2002

Greetings everyone! Kyle here! Winter was definitely a cold one here in Elmfair, but it was still a very busy year with school. I am almost finished with my freshman year in college with studying business management. I am going to do everything I can to become a manager at Discovery Gardens - in time, of course! Until then, as we were preparing for a school break I was sent an invitation last week, for an Employee Return celebration today.

We were told that it was going to be a tour of the improvements that occurred over the off season and of the new, Grizzly Expedition.

We all met up at the Garden Stage and the supervisor, Courtney, (pictured in front) took us on a tour of the park and told us where we would be working for the majority of the season. I found out that I am scheduled to be working in the Shivering Timber area this year (not the Grizzly Expedition area - which is what I really wanted to do). As we walked around the park a sense of nostalgia kind of took over and I couldn't help but smile. I, of course, was able to take some pictures of the place that I missed so much.

A few things have changed for the season - das Hurrikan received a new paint scheme. It looks darker but still pretty good in the area.

They took a lot of the picnic tables out of the Weindorf Markt eating area. I asked my supervisor why they did that and she said she believed that they were looking at how to better manage crowds in the area.

das Sleigheuser closed early on the last day of operation last year, but we were told it was for maintenance issues. Courtney said that they replaced the wheel chassis and gave it a whole new paint scheme. I am starting to get a little curious as to why the rides in Weindorf have been painted.

I couldn't help but get a few shots of the area around the park. Shivering Timber looked extremely creepy, standing but not operating, but I am told they are still putting the trains on the track for testing. The park opens in two weeks.

Now the moment we were waiting for -  the new Grizzly Expedition ride. I was able to get a quick picture while we were still at the Garden Stage.

As we walked closer to the ride area I was able to get a first look at Jack's Smokehouse. They were catering our dinner this evening so that we could try the new food before the opening.

Right across from Jack's Smokehouse was the beautiful roller coaster, Grizzly Expedition. I was very excited to ride!

Everyone meet Kathy and Cindy. Kathy is the Ride Operations Manager at Discovery Gardens and she was watching Cindy as she was learning the controls for the ride.

I think the roller coaster is in a very unique place of the park where it isn't so close to Shivering Timber that only side of the park will busy.

That is all I was able to get on this trip! Now time to go ride Discovery Gardens and get some BBQ! See you all for opening on March 15th! I think the public will like this new addition to the park!

*On a completely unrelated note, Vision Entertainment released a press conference that says that they are filing plans and working on a new park! Looks like I will have to be making a trip to Cliffdale to see what's going on up there!*

-Mariah Carey

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 09:08 PM »
Another nice update. :)  Again, I'm impressed with your easy-to-follow storytelling; it sounds real and down-to-earth.

That's a beautiful shot of the Grizzly Expedition station reflected in the water. Looks like a painting of the English countryside. And the screenshots of the ride itself capture the wild and rocky terrain beautifully; yep, I can picture some bears roaming amongst those wooded hillsides. I like that shot, taken from inside the station I think, showing a train approaching the first lift hill while another train comes careening down that steep slope on the right.

And I see another Martian Tripod peeking over the trees in the next to last shot.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2019, 09:15 AM »
Great update! Grizzly Expedition looks like another exciting addition to the park. Looking forward to seeing it in more detail.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens - Season 2
March 15th, 2002

Hey everyone! Kyle here. Today was opening day at Discovery Gardens! The park set a new attendance record today with the opening of the park and the new addition, Grizzly Expedition.

As I got there in the morning my supervisor, Courtney, took us on a morning walk of the park before opening.

Grizzly Expedition is going to definitely be a great morning ride!

Walking into the park you can see the ever so daunting, Shivering Timber. While this ride certainly held its ground as the most popular ride in the park - I think Grizzly will definitely give it a run for its money. As you can see people are already starting to run to the ticket center.

Shivering Timber also got new trains this year.

Seeing an average amount of people queue for Shivering Timber was very different than normal. Everyone was indeed intrigued by Grizzly Expedition and headed towards that side of the park.

The queue line for Grizzly Expedition began to fill up VERY quickly.

*A quick video of the opening day of Discovery Gardens*

Until next time!

-Mariah Carey

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 06:57 PM »
There are some really beautiful screenshots of your park in this update. Very nice.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2019, 05:27 AM »
that first shot about looks eerily real

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 04:53 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens - Season 2
April 1st, 2002

Greetings everyone! It's Kyle! Today is yet another busy day at the park! The City of Elmfair voted Discovery Gardens the #1 Tourist Place in the state. I am extremely proud to be able to be part of this great amusement park.

One of the most underrated areas of the park is Wilke's Creek. This area wasn't really that active until later last year. The walking path is a great place to relax and get away from some of the noise and overwhelming thrills of the park. I usually always walk Wilke's Creek on my lunch break. It's a 1/2 mile long and surrounds a small creek in the center.

As I was heading back from my break the moment you come around the path to see Grizzly Expedition still amazes me. As you can see it is definitely one of the busier areas of the park! I have to get back to work! So long for now.

*Wilke's Creek my favorite area of the entire park. It is quiet and is a place that I can take my camera back to and look out at the park and get ideas for what else I can add. My apologies for this not being a major update - but wanted to definitely show off some of the more overlooked areas*
-Mariah Carey

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09 PM »
My favorite shot: the 5th from the bottom (with the Gulpee machine). Really nice interplay of light and shadow, and positive and negative space; such as the 'holes' in the trees showing the sky and mountains beyond. :)

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53 PM »
Great landscaping job on the Wilke's Creek walkway. It looks like a nice, peaceful area for a stroll.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Discovery Gardens
May 1st, 2002

Official Press Release

This year, Discovery Gardens, premieres its Halloween-themed event, Nightmare Gardens. The event will run from Friday, September 20th through October 26th. The Halloween themed event will only take place on Fridays and Saturday nights. (See full schedule below).

Nightmare Gardens will introduce a haunted maze, three scare zones, and more surprises and thrills after dark. Vision Entertainment Group (V.E.G. ; the parent company of Discovery Gardens) has already began work on the separate area of the park. It will remain up all year long but will not be accessible through the spring and summer of the park's normal operating season. It is not recommended children under the age of 14 should be in the park without adult supervision during Nightmare Gardens.

-Ticket price includes admission to Discovery Gardens and Nightmare Gardens - $49.99

-Priority Pass includes front of the line access to Shivering Timber, the new Grizzly Expedition, and all scare zones and mazes at Nightmare Gardens - $39.99

Complete List of Nightmare Gardens dates

September Dates
Friday - 09/20 - 7:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 09/21 - 7:00PM - 12:00AM
Friday - 09/27 - 7:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 09/28 - 7:00PM - 12:00AM

October Dates
Friday - 10/04 - 6:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 10/05 - 6:00PM - 1:00AM
Friday - 10/11 - 6:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 10/12 - 6:00PM - 1:00AM
Friday - 10/18 - 6:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 10/19 - 6:00PM - 1:00AM
Friday - 10/25 - 6:00PM - 12:00AM
Saturday - 10/26 - 6:00PM - 1:00AM

#DiscoverTheFright
-Mariah Carey

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2019, 06:41 PM »
nice trailer

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2019, 05:45 AM »
Nice announcement video! Looking forward to seeing the spooky transitioning!

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2019, 01:51 PM »
If that's just the teaser I can't wait to see the real thing!

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Sneak Peek of Nightmare Gardens!
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Discovery Gardens
July 19th, 2002

Article for Nightmare Gardens:

Discovery Gardens is preparing for the spooky season by premiering their first ever Halloween-themed area - Nightmare Gardens. Beginning September 20th, 2002, guests will be allowed to line up starting at 2PM at the Monolith building. Upon entry, guests will have to get on the park's new train - Terror Railways that will take them directly to Nightmare Gardens. We are told it will be the only way to get to and from the scare zones.

Nightmare Gardens will feature three haunted scare zones:
Abyss
Highway to Hell
Sinister Cave

Nightmare Gardens will also introduce Bloodthirsty Cafe and their nighttime show - Hellfire. While we do not have information regarding the new restaurant or the entertainment show - we are told that it will be a unique experience to Discovery Gardens.

Note: Nightmare Gardens entrance (the Monolith) will be housed in the former entrance to das Sleigheuser. The spinning flat ride will not be operating for the remainder of the 2002 season due to maintenance difficulties.

Nightmare Gardens features frightening images, flashing lights, loud sounds, explosions, and scare actors. To avoid the scares or if you need a moment of reprieve there will be two Green Zones located within NIghtmare Gardens.

-Mariah Carey

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2019, 10:25 PM »
The 2nd to last screenshot is my favorite. That misty red background really sets it off. And I like the stark, dark, barren landscaping. Chilling!

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens
July 21st, 2002

Hey everyone! Kyle here! Sorry it's been so long! Been working extremely busy hours at the park and haven't really had a chance to have a day off to take pictures of the crazy things happening! Today started off as a pretty normal day. I got up and dressed and met up with my friend Eric. We were going to check out the park since both of us were off.

Upon arriving we noticed right away that it was another busy day at Discovery Gardens, but we were able to see some new development happening. A few cranes had been brought into the park.

I think the biggest notice today was that Shivering Timber was closed today. I asked one of the employees why and they said it was having maintenance issues with the block brakes. I hope they get that fixed soon because this is one of their anchor rides and one of only two roller coasters. With Shivering Timber being closed - this side of the park was barren.

Wilke's Creek had a few more walkers today, but I guess they were trying to peek through the trees and see what was happening behind the scenes with Shivering Timber not being open.

One of the few biggest changes was the giant cranes that were brought into the park. There was one located behind Weindorf Markt, which is where the Nightmare Gardens area is said to be built for the upcoming fall season.

The other crane however was behind Grizzly Expedition and in the back of the park. Not even my supervisor knew what was going on. Surely they couldn't be working on a new roller coaster after they just got Grizzly. Guess we will have to wait and see what's in store.

Weindorf Markt was just beginning to get busy when we arrived. We are told that the restaurants/vendors don't open their areas until 12:00PM due to construction on Nightmare Gardens. I am assuming they have to bring in some of the pieces of that area through Weindorf.

I was able to get a few pictures of the Monolith building which is the entrance to Nightmare Gardens. This will be the gateway that takes you on a train to the Nightmare Gardens area.

We couldn't see much in the area behind the Monolith building but I did manage to see a scarecrow post up.

das Sleigheuser announced earlier last week that they were going to be closed for the remainder of the season for maintenance issues. I do hope that they get this ride fixed and/or replaced next year.

Without Shivering Timber being open, Grizzly Expedition was getting the bulk of the crowds. It was almost unbearable so Eric and I left the park after eating at Jack's Smokehouse. I was able to get a few pictures from the outside balcony of the restaurant so you could see how packed it was. Grizzly Expedition had a 190 minute wait.

That's all for now folks! Hope to try and get more pictures of the Nightmare Gardens area but they have it hidden pretty well. Not sure what the second crane in the back of the park is for either, but I will do my best and find out!

-Mariah Carey

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2019, 06:40 PM »
I really like that misty/foggy shot of Grizzly Expedition with the crane in the background.

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2019, 06:48 PM »
The last and third from last pictures:  I had to look close at the peep faces.  Those look like actual photos.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Great pictures man!