Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: The 2019 conclusion

• 119 replies
Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: The 2019 conclusion
« on: September 07, 2019, 11:24 AM »
In the beginning, it was just called the Petersen Pumpkin Ranch.   When the Petersens finally built a much needed new house on the property, they decided to convert the old house into a shop where Mrs. Petersen could sell some of her craft projects, along with the usual pumpkins and other produce from the farm.

The Harvest Shop wasn't much of a draw, so to drum up enthusiasm Farmer Petersen (Peter) grew a large corn maze on the property.  They rigged a few cheap props here and there throughout the maze, and even added a refreshment stand for those guests venturous enough to make it all the way to the farthest end.  [The drink stand ensures that at least some guests will venture into the maze.]

They converted the old chicken coop into a cider stand, serving both hot and cold beverages (the weather fluctuates around here even more than usual this time of year.)  Whilst applying for the necessary permits, Peter Petersen learned that he would have to erect a proper restroom facility.  This really messed up the intimacy of the pumpkin plaza behind the Harvest Shop, and ended up being much more costly than Farmer Peterson was prepared for.  But at this point they were in too deep and it had to be done.

The family fire pit was converted into a much larger bonfire area, giving guests a place to warm up with their cider after a chilly evening in the maze.  With all that dried brush in the area, what could go wrong?  Fortunately crowds were small that first year and children were mostly behaved.

It wasn't a horrible first season, (but certainly not successful enough to pay off the new restroom facility) and once Halloween was over the Petersen family shut everything down and retired to the warmth of their new house, which nobody thought to take pictures of for this story.  The family was excited about this new addition to their family business and spent the winter thinking about ways to bring in more guests next year.

[This project is being built on Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms map, and the corn for the maze is also a workshop item.]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:50 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm, year one
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:12 PM »
Very nice. Can't wait to see how this progresses.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28 PM »
In the 2nd screenshot I like how the pumpkins/Jack-O-Lanterns come in different sizes and colors and are strewn about everywhere. Interesting 'corn' ya got there JP (from the Workshop); sorta clever, sorta amusing. I'm wondering what the significance of the "H H" is in the maze; or is that just a coincidence?

The fire pit/bonfire area looks great ringed with the benches; very welcoming and cozy. I wouldn't worry about all the dried brush near the bonfire; this is Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms map after all, so there's plenty of hydrants, fire lanes, etc.- all up to and exceeding code. ;) (I realize those things aren't here in your park... or are they?)

Your storytelling is drawing me in. :)  The beginning of Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm sounds sort of how Knott's Berry Farm got started.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Really liking the shear simplicity of this farm. It looks like it's off to a fine start.

Love the green scarecrow!

I wonder if the Petersons can afford a used carnival ride or two?

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:12 AM »
This is amazing! That last screenshot looks so great and a little scary... Nailed it 100%. Very cool, can't wait to see more of this!
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 07:20 AM »
awesome - love it. The hay maze is great

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46 AM »
I love this! Really getting into the Halloween spirit :) Keep up the great work I hope to see much more!

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Twitter Info
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:18 PM »
You make me want to decorate my park for Halloween! This is really incredible. Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what all is in store.

That last picture though! :D Wow!
Life can be like a roller coaster and just when you think you've had enough, and you're ready to get off the ride and take the calm, easy Merry-Go-Round; you change your mind, throw your hands in the air and ride the roller coaster all over again. That's exhilaration...that's living a bit on the edge...that's being ALIVE!
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Creator of Vision Entertainment

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Thanks Shy, and thanks for the cover shot!

JB:  Haha, I'm one post in and there are already plotholes, including the HH.  [I built the maze before I came up with a story.]   

CT:  They certainly can't afford them yet, but with some wise investments in the short term (and maybe an eventual buyout) I'm sure there will be something in this place to ride before long.   :P

CSL:  That may be the scariest thing we see for awhile, seems this place is fairly family-friendly for the first few seasons... :(

Thanks you all the kind comments.

--------

Following season one, the Petersens had a long rough winter followed by a turbulent spring, complete with storm damage and flooding in the basement of their former home, now the Harvest Shop.  "I knew we should've torn that place down when we had the chance," said Mr. P., but his wife Paulette convinced him to put in a new pump house so that excess water could be dumped into the adjacent pond.

The Shop now needed a new roof, especially over the front porch which collapsed from all the snow.  The porch was rebuilt with new wood, but the original railings were preserved, and the whole place received another coat of paint.  Mrs. P added some landscaping out front for some country curb appeal.

While cleaning up after his construction project of the new pump house, Farmer Petersen noticed a lot of old machinery parts laying around, not to mention some extra space inside the structure itself.  With some help from the kids, they built a castle facade on the back of the shed while their dad built a giant mechanical... dragon.  That could eat pumpkins.

So for their second season, the only new attraction was the pumpkin eating dragon.  They wanted to call it "Pete's Dragon", but there was some kind of copyright kerfuffle and they settled on Peter's Purple Pumpkin Eater.

Oh, and at the strong urging of the fire marshall, they made it slightly more difficult for children to wander into the fire pit.  Because apparently that's a thing that happens.

Otherwise, nothing new was added in season 2.  The Petersens were optimistic that after another slow year things would turn around and they could turn their investment around.

[I pulled out the cobblestone path, dirt seemed more believable in a park this size.  If anyone knows how to get rid of the "pegs" that border the path, I'm very open to suggestions.]

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:31 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm, year two
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Quote: "...while their dad built a giant mechanical... dragon"

Yes but, is it a Flying Purple People Pumpkin Eater? I assume so, since he's got wings. That's a fun idea (and fun screenshot); the dragon stretching his neck out eating pumpkins on the other side of the wall. And man, ol' Pete Petersen is pretty handy with chicken wire, tarps, and old tractor parts to put that dragon together so skillfully. And he managed to make purple smoke, too! (probably insecticide-based :P). He oughta be working on big Hollywood blockbusters.

I like how, in the last pic, the Jack-o-lanterns on the left look like spectators sitting on bleachers, talking amongst themselves. As for the pegs, maybe just plop down a few more pumpkins to cover some of them up. I think wowman said in one of his threads that he uses plants and scenery to hide them. Some of them aren't very noticeable.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 04:24 AM »
It does not fly.  Because there's no alliteration in that.  :P

Farmer Petersen is very handy.  Paulette is the brains, and at least one of the twins is quite the artist.  (At least, he's good with a can of paint.)   Not sure what talents the other two kids will bring to this, or if they're even still kids at all.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I love the feel of this! Great job; I'm enjoying the progression and story.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Love the vibe you are creating with this park! The Halloween theme is very well done and really puts you in the season. Excited to see what else is added to the park as it grows. Keep up the good work! :)

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44 PM »
Very cute update!

I sometimes use the smallest rocks to hide the paths, or as others mentioned, a few plants. Make the path a bit wider than you want them to walk on, and use kerbs to prevent the peeps from getting too close to the edge.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Thanks Plokoon!

Thanks CT, good suggestion, I hadn't thought of rocks but they are now part of my pathing plans.  I've always felt that lining paths was one of the more tedious parts of playing the game, but it really does make a difference in screenshots.

Here's a photo of my dragon inspiration, from one of the two local pumpkin farms I've been using as reference material for this project:

One challenge i I had:  if I wanted to put a roof on the pump house, the dragon wings were going to go through it.  So I made it look like Farmer P. installed some mechanical wings on top of the roof that slide through a groove in the surface:

And now back to the story:

Peter's Purple Pumpkin Eater was cute, and the smaller kids seem to enjoy it, but not exactly the big break that the farm needed.  Mrs. P. promised guests that they would have exciting new attractions next fall.  And then that following spring, Farmer Petersen went to auction one day and "accidentally" bought 3 horses.  Paulette was absolutely furious, even moreso when it turned out the the stable needed a new roof.  "I hope those horses are strong, because they'll be providing rides to children this fall at five dollars a pop," she informed him.  She also told him he'd better come up with something else to add to the farm before fall that wouldn't cost them any more money.

Farmer Petersen thought about this all summer while he was putting the new roof on the stable, and was struck by inspiration.  He hitched up 3 wagons to the back of his tractor, and told his wife it was a "mini-hayrack ride" through the barnyard.  [These photos come from a later season, by when Mr. P took some spare parts to make the tractor and wagons look like a small train.  The station building was added later as well.]

[Pay no mind to the train tracks in the background, like I said these photos are from a later season.]

Other than the horses, there wasn't much in livestock on the property these days, just a couple of cows and some goats.  And lots of chickens.  Mrs. P was impressed, slightly.  "Well, we can't charge money for that.  But at least it'll keep people on the property a few minutes longer," she huffed.

"Didn't you say this was a children's ride?  Are you at least going to take the axe out of the stump?"

"Nah," shrugged Mr. Petersen.  "It's Halloween."

Offline Cinestri0

• Livin' Like Larry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm, year three
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Very realistic park! Excellent idea/work with the farm-animal idea.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49 AM »
Still looking great! Definitely love your details that you put into your buildings/structures. And so far the storyline progression is great! Definitely keeping my eye on this one.
Life can be like a roller coaster and just when you think you've had enough, and you're ready to get off the ride and take the calm, easy Merry-Go-Round; you change your mind, throw your hands in the air and ride the roller coaster all over again. That's exhilaration...that's living a bit on the edge...that's being ALIVE!
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 10:30 AM »
I love the hay ride idea! Reminds me of ones around my area. Very realistic for sure!

Offline Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I so love this park, really unique and great theming
Also as a finishing touch on it all a great storyline with it.
Keep up the awesome work!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 08:00 PM »
The dragon in the first photo is pretty much how I pictured Farmer Pete's dragon would look; sorta hand-crafted, but still pretty neat. I wonder what the head is made of? probably molded fiberglass. The 'mechanical' wings on the roof is genius. Very realistic farm scene in the 3rd screenshot. Chicken on the chopping block: doesn't she know what that axe is for???

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 02:15 AM »
Lovely rural atmosphere!

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 03:34 PM »
Very realistic park! Excellent idea/work with the farm-animal idea.
Thanks Cinestrio!

Still looking great! Definitely love your details that you put into your buildings/structures. And so far the storyline progression is great! Definitely keeping my eye on this one.
Thanks JeriKY, farm structures don't lend themselves to much architectural variety so I have to make it up with little details anywhere I can find them.
And I'm totally making the story up as I go  :P

I love the hay ride idea! Reminds me of ones around my area. Very realistic for sure!
Thanks Plokoon, definitely trying to stay a little bit closer to reality with this than some of my past work  ;)

I so love this park, really unique and great theming
Also as a finishing touch on it all a great storyline with it.
Keep up the awesome work!
Haha, I will try to achieve awesome, usually I fail but never hurts to keep trying.  Thanks Twisted!

The dragon in the first photo is pretty much how I pictured Farmer Pete's dragon would look; sorta hand-crafted, but still pretty neat. I wonder what the head is made of? probably molded fiberglass. The 'mechanical' wings on the roof is genius. Very realistic farm scene in the 3rd screenshot. Chicken on the chopping block: doesn't she know what that axe is for???
Well, I've "met" that dragon in person, and he's definitely looking better in that photo than when I saw him last (probably over 10 years ago?)  I remember definitely a lot of metal, but you might be right about the fiberglass head.   As for the chickens, I don't think they're known for intelligence.  I could be wrong...   :confused:

Lovely rural atmosphere!
Thanks as always Berlin! 

----------------------------

The Petersens knew they had a lot of work to do if they wanted to compete with Eerie Acres on the other side of town, and they knew it would take time, but they felt the pressure nonetheless.  The budget was still tight as the existing attractions weren't giving them much to re-invest with.  For season 4 they somehow managed to stretch that money to add 3 [somewhat meager] attractions and a new food stand.

They couldn't afford a full-blown haunted house, and at this stage they wanted to keep the farm fairly family-friendly.  So they sent one of twins (Peter Jr., who much preferred "PJ" to "Junior",)  into the old hog shed with some flourescent paint.  He was quite the young artist so they gave him creative freedom to come up with whatever he felt would fit the demographic.

It wasn't much to look at on the outside...

But PJ managed to accomplish a lot with a little on the inside.  After his handiwork was complete, his father went in and rigged up speakers in the ceiling with some spooky sound effects, along with some subtle mist machines for ambience.  The "Spooky Shack" was complete.

[Low budget walk-through attractions are kind of a staple of this kind of park and I knew I would need a lot of them.  To make them functional, I'll be selling Priority Passes at the front gate and the Priority queue for any ride will serve as a walk-through for something separate.  Note:  The hay maze, while functional, was built with normal pathing so I expect peeps will stop going in there once there are enough other things to do in the park.]

Meanwhile, PJ's twin Paulie was an Eagle Scout who both enjoyed and excelled in archery.  He helped his father set up an archery range which he would then be in charge of operating during business hours.

There was just enough leftover flourescent paint and one more abandoned building on this side of the property to set up an indoor, glow in the dark, 9 hole putt putt course.   

[This one is not functional, there was nothing else I could attach it to on this side of the park.  The interior could definitely use some more details but since no peep is ever going to see it I'm thinking I'll focus elsewhere for now.]

Finally, a stand to sell Petersen Pretzels was added to the pumpkin plaza, along with a small bandstand.  The quartet volunteered to show up every Saturday in October just for the exposure, and their rendition of Monster Mash was a highlight of every performance.   A small eating area was also set up between the pretzel stand and the archery range.

Not-so-fun fact:  I think I mentioned earlier that the Petersens had three children, the twins followed a couple of years later by a girl.  Does anybody want to guess what her name is?

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm, year four
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 04:01 PM »
This is amazing!!!  I love the Spooky Shack and the Glow Golf!!!!  And that corn maze...wow!!!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 04:07 PM »
Not-so-fun fact:  I think I mentioned earlier that the Petersens had three children, the twins followed a couple of years later by a girl.  Does anybody want to guess what her name is?
Cassandra? :P
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 04:35 PM »
^ Ha! You're probably right, shyguy. A "Mistress of the Dark" would fit in perfectly here. But I suspect it's a 'P' name; like Penelope.

I like the tires as archery targets. :)  And all the arrows sticking out every-which-where. The pumpkin columns look great around the bandstand. And it's cool to see black-light attractions in the park/farm. That's the sort of inexpensive stuff you'd expect to see in a low-budget operation.

Online Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24 AM »
I love the spooky shack! Small and compact; the way walkthroughs should be. Great job! You are getting me in the fall spirit for sure.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Nice update! Love the additions to Pumpkin Plaza. The Quartet is a great idea and adds some life to the area.

Offline Twisted

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Oww the latest update is AWESOME!
Love the Spooky Shack and also the archery range
Well done

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 06:44 PM »
The last image is definitely my favorite! :D The detail and "character" in this shot says what this whole farm is really about. Nice update.
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2019, 02:32 PM »
I'm just loving this JP. I really love Halloween, so this whole thing is a real (trick or) treat.