Discovery Gardens

• 88 replies

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Discovery Gardens
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 04:36 PM »
I love the realism with the lights and the green zones you have set up, very ingenious! Nice night update!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2019, 06:51 PM »
I love the night shots of the train engine and the Rock-O-Plane against the moonlit sky. And the red and blue park lighting looks great, as does the stage pyrotechnics.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Twitter Info
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens has released a media video of Nightmare Gardens from its first Saturday in October.

Only 3 more weekends to go before the park closes for the season!
Life can be like a roller coaster and just when you think you've had enough, and you're ready to get off the ride and take the calm, easy Merry-Go-Round; you change your mind, throw your hands in the air and ride the roller coaster all over again. That's exhilaration...that's living a bit on the edge...that's being ALIVE!
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Creator of Vision Entertainment

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Nice video. :)  I liked the extended scene of the Rock-O-Plane (Mysterio). It's like we're in the park just standing around and watching whatever catches our fancy. Maybe cut back a bit on the intensity of the red lights in some of the scare areas, it kinda washes everything out, making it hard to see. Other than that, Nightmare Gardens looks great.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens
October 25th, 2002

An updated POV of the new 2002 roller coaster, Grizzly Expedition.

Discovery Gardens is about to close for the season!

Tomorrow is the final day for the 2002 Season!

Life can be like a roller coaster and just when you think you've had enough, and you're ready to get off the ride and take the calm, easy Merry-Go-Round; you change your mind, throw your hands in the air and ride the roller coaster all over again. That's exhilaration...that's living a bit on the edge...that's being ALIVE!
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Last Day of the 2002 Season
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Discovery Gardens
October 26th, 2002

Hello everyone! Kyle coming to you one more time! As I walk through the park before opening I couldn't help but stop and take a moment to appreciate the rides and buildings in the park. This has been a great place to work for another summer!

I can't wait for the 2003 Season to come already! Unfortunately Discovery Gardens didn't announce any new rides or attractions coming this year, but they did introduce Nightmare Gardens! It was a great way to incorporate the Halloween-season.

I won't go through the motions of explaining each picture, because this time I think the pictures have all the words!

Signing off for the last time for 2002! See you all next year! :D

-Kyle Ford
-Stacy Charter, 1999

« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Beautiful photography as always.  Can I ask, what time of day do you set it at to get those stunning sunset photos?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Wow, lots of beautiful 'golden hour' sunset(?) screenshots. My favorite is the one with the first lift hill of Grizzly Expedition, the sun peeking over the mountain and the distant hill all lit in golden light. :)

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens
October 26th, 2002

As the park opened today - almost instantly, the guests filled the park. I was able to get a few more pictures before I had to clock in for my last shift (11AM to 4PM).

The Ticket Center was beyond packed this morning. They released a tweet earlier that said the park had a low amount of Priority Passes available today. Sure enough, within the hour of opening the Priority Passes sold completely out for the day.

With Shivering Timber being the first roller coaster you come across to the right of the entrance - that is usually everyone's first attraction they visit in the park. Unfortunately, the roller coaster has a limit to its capacity and today it could definitely not keep up with the line. Within the hour, the line got up to a 90 minute wait.

As I was walking around the park, my supervisor text me a screenshot of the security camera footage of the massive crowd that came for the last day.

All the rides started getting really backed up with lines, including X-Fury. Since Shivering Timber was so busy guests migrated towards the back side of the park to Grizzly Expedition. It didn't take long for that area to get full of guests too.

The Nightmare Gardens Monolith building looked a lot less scary during the day. It was weird seeing it completely empty for now until 3pm when they start allowing people to line up.

During my shift when I went on break I was able to walk around a little more and got pictures of Weindorf Markt. Ausseldorf's Candy was extremely busy today.

As I walked back towards the entrance I saw that they had set up the line for Nightmare Gardens. I noticed they had a considerable amount of barriers today versus the other days the Halloween event was open.

Unfortunately I have to get back and finish my shift! I will be back around 4:30pm when my friends meet me here. We are going to enjoy Nightmare Gardens and Discovery Gardens one last time!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:55 PM by JeriKY »
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2019, 08:25 PM »
Interesting use of filters/editing. It makes the screenshots look like illustrations from an old book. :)

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Interesting use of filters/editing. It makes the screenshots look like illustrations from an old book. :)

Thanks JB. It's definitely a story! :D

February 4th, 2003

Offical Press Release from Vision Entertainment Group

With the massive success of Discovery Gardens second operating year the park continues to look at ways to improve the overall experience. For the 2003 Season we are bringing you an entirely new overhaul of the park's main entrance to maximize guest capacity and expedite entry levels.

We are also expanding on our parking lot and have added over 500 extra parking spaces to accommodate the increasing attendance levels.

This year we are bringing a unique ride to the fold, the Power Tower which is a multi-tower attraction with four launch towers. Each tower has a unique ride experience to differentiate the towers. The massive structure will be the biggest structure in the park with a peak height of 225 feet, the launched cars will travel up 182 feet into the air. This will make the attraction the fastest and tallest ride in the entire park.

The Power Tower was topped off last night as crews are finishing up electrical wiring at the top deck of the tower.

The park will open for the 2003 season on April 25th, 2003.

*Nightmare Gardens - Halloween event will open on September 19th, 2003.*

-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Looks like the 'War of the Worlds' Tripod (X-Fury) now has a big brother... and he has 4 legs! :D

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Aaaah how could I miss this!
Loving the attention to detail, the editing is spectacular (some of these pics look damn real!) and Weindorf Markt makes me smile as I'm coming from near the German Wine Road and it makes me feel like home :) :up:

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Park Improvements for 2003 Season
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Discovery Gardens
March 10, 2003

The park is going through a lot of changes to prepare for the 2003 season!

By now everyone knows of the new drop tower ride, the Power Tower. This will be the tallest ride in the park standing at a total height of 225 feet with a 182 foot drop height.

The entire entrance has been revamped to allow for maximum ease with crowd control and entry. There is an expedited security check-in process as well.

Shivering Timber was re-tracked from wear and tear through the season. They also removed the tight turn after the first drop to help reduce stress on the trains' wheel chasis.

With the renovation to the front entrance, the employees have their own separate parking lot and entry point into the park.

The trees next to the new employee lot was cleared out for this new addition and it opened up a very nice view of Shivering Timber.

In the background you can see the new Power Tower ride testing.

The classic attraction, Sky Wheel, received a new paint job.

Next to the parking lot, there is a lot of construction taking place. The park did not comment when asked, but simply said that they were working on new exciting things for the 2004 season already.

Author's Note: The park opens in the next update :D
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Simply amazing fantastic park! That drop tower looks so real! Thrilled! :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
First Day Part One
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens
April 25th, 2003

Good morning fellow followers! Kyle Ford here! I am so excited to be back at Discovery Gardens for their third year! So many new things are coming to the park and it is growing pretty popular, even amongst neighboring cities.

I had my friend, Mike, take a selfie of me in my new car as we got to work on opening day! It was an early 7:15AM. Mike had been promoted to Area Supervisor and I was now Team Lead of my section in the park which was Weindorf Markt.

We got to park in the new Employee Lot today and I was able to get really close to Shivering Timber! It was really cool to see the wooden coaster on the backside that no one was able to see before due to the tree line. It was great for them to open it up a little.

As Mike and I headed out of the parking lot and towards the Security Booth for the employees I was able to get a small peak at what goes on behind the scenes in one of the offices.

It was cool to see the parking lot empty before the crazy rush. The park opens at 12PM noon today and the parking lot allows guest parking at 10:30AM.

The park still has not released information on what the were working on in the parking lot next to the pay booths.

As Mike and I walked up to the front, I was just in so much awe at how much the entrance had really changed. Even though we didn't get a big huge roller coaster this year that many people hoped for - we still were able to get great improvements for the upcoming season.

The new front gate also has expedited security check lanes.

Before actually going into the park I turned around and got a quick picture of the new banked turn that they re-tracked for Shivering Timber. This would allow for less wear and tear on the tracks after the first drop. Even though they got rid of the high-speed turn and quick air-time hump - the banked turn was a great replacement.

They removed the "Camp Discovery" signs from the main walkway leading back into Weindorf Markt. It was also announced from Vision Entertainment over the summer, that das Sleigheuser would be removed from no longer being functional.

Still even with the new additions and improvements, the area heading back towards Grizzly Expedition and the new Power Tower is still one of my favorites.

The Sky Wheel looked great and somewhat youthful again with its new paint job.

Before heading to my area, Mike took me to a weird new addition to the remaining front building. Rumor has it that they area going to replace the building with a  new ride.

Unfortunately that is all the pictures I can take right now until we open in Part 2!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:07 PM by JeriKY »
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2019, 10:29 PM »
The early morning hour allows for some really nice screenshots. :)  And, as before, your natural-sounding storytelling makes the story easy to read.
It's a little difficult to see the "Discovery" part of the new entrance; the "Gardens" part stands out as plain as day. I suppose it's just because it isn't lit up yet in the morning light.
Looking forward to seeing the new ride; looks like it's going to be rustic, or western themed.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Opening Day Part 2
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Discovery Gardens
April 25th, 2003

Opening Day - Part Two

Greetings everyone! Kyle bringing you the second part of opening day! Today was probably one of the best openings the park has ever had. As the third year for Discovery Gardens began - it was definitely predicted this was going to be the largest opening the park has had. The cars began to line up at the pay gates right at 10:30AM.

Seeing all of the cars lining up definitely added some excitement as the guests began to pour in.

When I got off work I started wandering around and taking pictures! My section, Weindorf Markt as always, was definitely a busy area of the park today. I was moved to the Striezelhaus Building which is the same building that houses Ausseldorf Candy and the Jaegerhorn Tavern.

They are finally going to be moving and updating the Starbucks in the park! I can have my morning coffee now as I walk around Wilke's Creek! Not sure when it will be completed, but it looks to be under construction now!

POWER!!!! The new Power Tower is definitely the shining new glory of the park. As the tallest ride at the park, many guests were clamoring to get to the massive structure. You can see it from almost everywhere inside of the park!

The city of Elmfair did a right thing when they allowed Vision Entertainment to create Discovery Gardens! The park is flourishing amazingly and really bringing in tourists from around the state.

This year Discovery Gardens introduced the Blue Pass - the new and improved season pass.

I waited until Mike got off of work and we decided to walk around and enjoy the guests for the park's opening day and rode a few rides in the evening. The Flying Balloon Race is known for having the highest number of riders in its lifetime.

The new paint job on the Sky Wheel really helped pick up on the lighting package that they added!

X-Fury is one of the most thrilling rides at the park having originally been the tallest ride at the park once the gondola reached its maximum peak in the air.

Grizzly Expedition held a pretty big wait time all day and through the night. This was definitely becoming the roller coaster with the best night experience.

The park's new addition, the Power Tower, sits very nice with the rest of the skyline of the park with the Sky Wheel and Shivering Timber.

As Mike and I were leaving I got a picture of the city of Elmfair overlooking the park.

We still aren't quite sure what they are building here, but it is slated to open for the 2004 season according to Mike.

Another great and successful opening day for the park's third season!

Spoiler (hover to show)

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:22 PM by JeriKY »
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2019, 08:43 PM »
More beautiful sunrise/sunset pics. :)  I especially like the silhouetted X-Fury against the red background. "Warning Thunder Ahead"- hmm... well, the obvious answer is a Big Thunder Mountain RR type of ride. But you already have Grizzly Expedition, soooo...

« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2019, 02:59 PM »
I don't think Disney's BTM can hold a candle to that plunge in the photo above.  Great photos, especially showcasing the drop towers.  That's a well done attraction.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Inspira by HYATT Hotel
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

May 2nd, 2003

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE FROM VISION ENTERTAINMENT

With the ever growing attendance increase, Vision Entertainment has reviewed several different possibilities with how to better handle and control the crowds at Discovery Gardens. After looking at multiple options - the park has partnered with the Hyatt Hotel chain.

Opening in the Fall of 2003, Inspira by HYATT will be the largest hotel in Elmfair. The park will be constructed on the park's property and will increase not only attendance - but tourists from all over the country. Inspira will have 130 rooms, 20 of them being executive suites, 4 presidential suites, and 4 penthouse suites.

Inspira by HYATT will have the following amenities:

• Room Service
  • Concierge
  • Sky Pool
  • Restaurant On-Site
  • Free Internet Access
  • Free Parking & Valet Parking
  • Pet Friendly
  • Discounted Park Tickets

Any many more...

Lustrio will be the Italian-inspired restaurant in Inspira. Lustrio will also offer 24-hour room service to hotel guests.

Reservations can be made starting in July.

Inspira is set to open Monday, September 1st, 2003.

-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Discovery Gardens
September 3rd, 2003

Greetings fellow peeps! The year has flown by faster than I could even imagine. Just a few days ago on the 1st, Inspira by HYATT opened to the public. The hotel is completely booked out until the end of the park's season.

The hotel's lobby.

The park was almost near capacity but slowed back down after the lunch hour. The hotel is staying pretty packed.

I got to the park a little later this evening and luckily didn't have HUGE crowds to have to battle for a change.

As Mike and I walked past the entrance we noticed that there was MORE stuff added to the front building where the "WARNING Thunder Ahead" sign was posted. They have added more signs and a lightning rod to the top of the building.

Mike was also able to get a little sneak peek from the Preferred Parking area and saw that there was two lifts and two steel magazines behind the building. They are definitely up to something!

Spoiler (hover to show)
-Stacy Charter, 1999

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2019, 01:47 PM »
Not sure whether I'm more impressed with the hotel or the parking lot details.  Wow.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2019, 01:53 PM »
This is shaping up to be a very nice park. Very good attention to detail and a great lineup of attractions.

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Storyline:

Discovery Gardens
September 17th, 2003

In just two days, Nightmare Gardens will open to the public for its second season. My friend Mike and I decided to take one more visit to the park before the Halloween-event opens and attendance spikes.

We decided to come to the park and stay the night at the Inspira hotel. We ended up heading to the park around 5:00PM that day.

The main entrance looks great since its new overhaul. I wonder what they are going to work on next to keep the park up to date.

As Mike and I made our way up to the gate, I noticed that a new sign had been posted in place of the Power Tower's advertisement.

Tomorrow night the park will have a major announcement at the front gate. I can't wait to see what it is. Hopefully this will be the answer to the question of what exactly they are working on behind the restroom/urgent care building. I noticed that in the background of the image there was lightning hitting the lightning rod that they added on top of the building. And have hinted at a "thunderous" announcement.

They even put the announcement advertisement up by the Season Pass Processing building.

I heard a plane flying overhead of the park so was able to get quick picture of the plane and Shivering Timber.

Social - the Ice Cream Parlor was extremely packed today. They have premiered a new flavor called Thunder Rocky Road which was a chocolate ice cream with vanilla and caramel swirls and brownie bits.

The announcement ad was also displayed on the Garden Stage's main screen where they once held the Grizzly Expedition announcement.

We decided to ride the Power Tower for the first time this year.

I also found that Mike's favorite rides is das Hurrikan.

That's all for today folks! Unfortunately I work tomorrow night during the announcement so I will do my best to bring you all footage/information on what they announce!

Author's Note: *Stay tuned tonight at 10:30PM EST for the announcement in real time*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 01:06 PM by JeriKY »
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Wicked Thunder Announcement
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2019, 07:32 PM »
September 18th, 2003
Official Press Release from Vision Entertainment

Discovery Gardens presents Wicked Thunder.

This thunderous wooden coaster will be the tallest, fastest, and longest roller coaster in the park. The ride will take riders 164 feet into the air and pre-drop them 10 feet before doing its first dive, 76 degrees down a 111-foot drop.

Wicked Thunder features 7 high-air time hills that will give riders a total "float" time of 21 seconds altogether on this ride's journey through the woods.

Statistics:
-Ride Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain Construction
-Coaster Type: Steel Topped - Wooden
-Lift/Launch System: Chain lift hill 
-Duration: 2 minutes 40 seconds
-Trains: 3 trains with 8 cars. Riders are seated 4 across in a single row for a total of 32 riders per train 
-Minimum Height Requirement: 48 inches 
-Ride Opening: Spring 2004
-Track Length: 3,727 feet 
-Height of First Drop: 111feet 
-Length of First Drop: 447 feet   
-Total Number of High Air-Time Hills: 7
-Maximum Degree of First Drop - 76 Degrees
-Top Speed: 64 mph
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Storyline:

Discovery Gardens
October 17th, 2003

Starbucks is now open and running! Today marked the opening day for this popular coffee shop that was relocated from the front entrance plaza to the old das Sleigheuser spot.

The once busy thrill ride was plagued with malfunctions and terrible ride technicalities. The park after the second year - decided to permanently close the flat ride. The Starbucks in the front plaza was an original model and the company wanted to best update the building.

The park's last day of operation will be Friday, October 31st, 2003.

*Author's Note: The next update will begin construction on Wicked Thunder.*
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
First Update - Construction November 2nd, 2003
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Over the course of the off season Discovery Gardens has put a live webcam that is facing the new construction of Wicked Thunder.

During construction - the workers and engineers are being housed in the Inspira by HYATT. They also have a pretty great view of the construction in progress for the massive roller coaster.

The park has put up a new fence and a large banner for the upcoming attraction. They are on track to open the rollercoaster a week after the park opens for the 2004 season in April.

Stay tuned for more updates on Wicked Thunder.
-Stacy Charter, 1999

Offline JeriKY

• Theme Park Fusion
    • View Profile
Last Day of the 2003 Season
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Discovery Gardens
October 31st, 2003

The last day of the season was Halloween night and Nightmare Gardens was very packed. The park once again reached capacity for the last day of the operating season.

These images were taken from the security camera footage at 1:00AM when the park closed and the guests were leaving.

The park will continue to do periodic updates on Wicked Thunder's construction during the off season from the live cam at the top of the Power Tower. The park has not announced the upcoming opening date for the 2004 season.
-Stacy Charter, 1999