Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch -- Season 10: Food and games

• 69 replies
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Farm, year four
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 08:28 PM »
This is amazing!!!  I love the Spooky Shack and the Glow Golf!!!!  And that corn maze...wow!!!
Fisherman!  Good to hear from you, hope the weather hasn't been too disruptive.  Stay dry my friend.  :)

Cassandra? :P
That is a much better suggestion than the lame name I went with.  But sadly, she spells her last name with an "on" instead of "en," so no, the youngest Petersen did not grow up to become the Mistress of the Dark.  And also, today's post will finally provide an approximate timeframe for all of this nonsense, and it takes place much later than Elvira's childhood.  :(

^ Ha! You're probably right, shyguy. A "Mistress of the Dark" would fit in perfectly here. But I suspect it's a 'P' name; like Penelope.

You're really going to hate me in a couple of minutes.

I love the spooky shack! Small and compact; the way walkthroughs should be. Great job! You are getting me in the fall spirit for sure.

High praise indeed from the walk-through master!  Thank you sir.

Nice update! Love the additions to Pumpkin Plaza. The Quartet is a great idea and adds some life to the area.

Thanks Dn, the plaza is currently getting an extreme makeover so that hopefully even more life can be added (and maybe some death too  :whistling:)

Oww the latest update is AWESOME!
Love the Spooky Shack and also the archery range
Well done

Thanks Twisted.  I hate the way story projects like this have to start so slow, so I'm glad you're enjoying it early on.  Hopefully it will get a little more exciting as we progress.

The last image is definitely my favorite! :D The detail and "character" in this shot says what this whole farm is really about. Nice update.

Thank you.  Charm and character are definitely part of the agenda for this project, I hope it continues that way.

I'm just loving this JP. I really love Halloween, so this whole thing is a real (trick or) treat.

Haha, it will probably end up all being more of a trick.  But here's some candy for you anyway.   :P

---------------------

Year four was not a good year.

Returning guests that fall were diverted to enter the parking lot from an alternate driveway, and the entrance through Mrs. Petersens' harvest shop was closed off.  In fact, the entire Pumpkin Plaza, including the prior years major attractions of the Spooky Shack, the putt putt course, Peter's Purple Pumpkin Eater, and the archery range, were all blocked off from guests due to hefty barricades along the main path.

Instead, this years guests were directed straight to the North end of the park, where Farmer Petersens' Barnyard Express and horse stables were located.  (This section was always a lengthy walk from the main plaza.)  Farmer P. was instructed earlier in the year to plant the corn maze along the north perimeter, and by now he knew just to do what he was told with a bare minimum of questions.

He was also instructed to proceed with prior plans to start hosting pig races, and he constructed a lovely seating arena and cost-friendly backdrop in a sunken pit next to the Express station.  Pig races were always popular attractions in pumpkin farms, so the Petersens knew early on this would have to be added eventually.

Mrs. P came up with a more time and budget efficient way of hosting the pony rides, tethering them around a central pole.  This allowed the Mister to purchase two more horses, so he certainly didn't argue with that idea.  A vendor stand for kettle corn went up next to the horse rides.

The slide complex was erected by a local hardware retailer at a reduced cost provided proper publicity was procured.  (Apparently those signs aren't showing up in these pictures.)  It was farmer Petersens idea to put a big giant mountain of hay in that area for kids to jump and play around in.  Low budget attractions at their finest.  "Those slides look really fun.  Why didn't you build something like that when we were young enough to enjoy it?" asked Mary, the Petersen's youngest.
"Because your mother never told me to," replied her father.  He wasn't much for words.

Speaking of jumping, there was some money spent on the giant air mattresses next to the silos.   There may not have been much for guests to do on the farm that season, but the kids would definitely be going home tired.  And covered in hay.

Another common pumpkin farm attraction is one that launches pumpkins great distances via cannon or catapult.  The Petersens took that one step further by having Peter jr., the artistic one, theme a show around the new "Angry Birds" game that all the kids were playing on their phones.   He also set up an area where people could pose with the birds themselves, or at least some three dimensional sculptures of them.

And finally, for the past couple of seasons more and more local food vendors had approached Mrs. P about setting up booths in the park.  Coincidentally, a lack of food options had been one of the more common complaints of prior seasons.  Mrs. P figured that she could kill two birds, ahem, with one stone, er, pumpkin, by hollowing out the unused silos and turning the former feed mill into a LITERAL feed mill.  (Better known to city folks as a food court.)

Despite ALL of this, guests were not happy that season.  The Petersens expected to hear a couple of complaints and even sold park tickets at a reduced rate, but to no avail.  They certainly weren't prepared to lose money and permanent damage to their reputation.
"They finally have food, but almost nothing else," one guest was overhead saying on their way out.
"Did you see one thing that made you think of Halloween?" said another.
"I clearly saw new train tracks in the distance but I didn't see or hear a train anywhere."
"The queue line for Canyon Runner is way too long," said someone else.  Canyon Runner?

The truth of the matter was that Mrs. Petersen was feeling the heat from local competition and had decided to spend the next two years taking more steps toward the overall park infrastructure, including a higher capacity entrance and plaza, a much needed adult-sized train ride for the park, and more space and options for retail.  She just failed to make any press announcements or even display the appropriate signage to convey to the guests that everything would be back to normal and better than ever by season 5.

By the time October rolled around word had spread and the park was pretty much dead.  The few guests who did show up left early and unhappy.  Things took a turn for the worse when a small child went missing for several hours in the corn maze, having crawled into one of the blocked off "rooms" for a nap amongst the corn stalks.  By the time he was found the police had already arrived, and the story made the local paper.  Along with a negative review of the park itself that made no mention of the scheduled improvements, because the Petersens never bothered to reach out to the press.  Oh, and then the people who owned Angry Birds called.

Mr. and Mrs. P fought considerably that season, much more than usual.  And their three kids Peter, Paul, and Mary were more anxious than ever for Halloween to end so things could get back to normal.  But nothing would ever be normal again, really.  Mrs. P was obsessed. 

"We just have to pretend this whole year never happened.  We need to pretend nothing ever happened, and start over.  We need to take our name off of this park.  I want all of you to come up with ideas for a new name, and I'll need them by spring."   They all kind of shrugged it off and never got back to her.

Then one day, Mrs. P said she had to go into the city for "some business."  While at a stoplight downtown she glanced to the side and noticed a faded sign painted onto the side of an old building.  Slowly, she smiled.

[The real life story behind this update is that I painted myself into a corner and had to tear up all the paths at the front of the park, move some buildings, and pretty much anything else I could think of so that I wouldn't have to start over on a new map.  Because of the piece count I had to move the corn maze in about 12 separate sections and then hope it was all assembled correctly.   :facepalm:   But I think it's all good now.]

LOTS of workshop content in this post, TMTK and otherwise.  Some of the more notables:

The silos (Mr. Sideshow):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1261337575

Angry Bird sculptures (M_Morg):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1504370315

Ceiling fan (lounap211):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1657821308

Kettle corn stand (lifted from BroAcres, with permission from Masked Bandit):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1552448406  (not available as a standalone download item)

Fisherman's food carts:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1404741697

Modular slide pieces (Oli414):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581134404

Peterbilt trucks, tractor and wagons, pretty much any vehicle that isn't made by Frontier:  (Wings&Strings):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1449160973

Outdoor lighting set (Brandon):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1547117571

Horse (castaway):  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1674778144

If you see anything else please let me know!
THANKS

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:07 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 09:10 PM »
I had to really look hard at that last screenshot to finally determine it was NOT made in Planet Coaster (I think).

And I don't know what's wrong with the town folk. There were some great new additions to the Farm that looked to be lots of fun. Well I'm sure that will change the next season. Perhaps the three kids will get together to form a band, playing folk music for the guests... ;)

Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2019, 09:15 PM »
Haha, it's a real photo.  Went out of business years ago but fortunately the brick exterior hasn't been painted over (yet :P).  As for entertainment next season, I've been hearing about this great new band called PEPNEX  :D

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 10:14 PM »
Mary?... MARY?! I hate you! I REALLY HATE YOU!!! :P Haha. I really thought her name would start with a 'P' like all the rest of the Petersen clan. I guess Mr. & Mrs. P. were really into the '60s folk scene.

If I was a kid, I would've loved going down those slides and jumping on those huge air mattresses. And as an adult, I would gladly chunk some punkins at those green pigs.

The Feed Mill looks great. I like the open framework of the ceiling with the fans. I love how the farmyard ground looks (I guess that's a strange thing to say); all flat and pulverized with dirt, dust and hay- just like you'd see on a real farm. And I looked awfully close at that Happy Hollow sign as well, before determining that it was real.

And I hope you do hire Samplerocker's PEPNEX band, they would be great here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:17 PM by JB »

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 05:57 AM »
this project is amazing

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Mary?... MARY?! I hate you! I REALLY HATE YOU!!! :P Haha. I really thought her name would start with a 'P' like all the rest of the Petersen clan. I guess Mr. & Mrs. P. were really into the '60s folk scene.

If I was a kid, I would've loved going down those slides and jumping on those huge air mattresses. And as an adult, I would gladly chunk some punkins at those green pigs.

And I hope you do hire Samplerocker's PEPNEX band, they would be great here.

I know, a 4 post setup for the lamest joke ever.  I need a life.

I'd ride the slides and jump on the mattresses today even.  Assuming I didn't break any bones I'd probably be sore for a few days, but still.  :P

this project is amazing

Thanks Wowman.  Hope you're having some success getting your park restored after the PC move. 

-----------------------------

When the park opened at the end of summer for year 5, the parking entrance returned to it's original location with some changes.  Most notably, the name of the park.

Looks like Mr. P built a pump for the pond fountain.  There's his dragon in the background, back in business after a season off.

The Harvest Store, formerly the Petersen farmhouse, had some structural issues on the 2nd floor, so the whole floor was ripped off and a larger 2nd floor was added.

Guests would no longer enter through the Harvest Store, it would now function as one of 2 main exits.  For park entrance, an entirely new building was constructed.  This would accomodate the early morning queue times when most guests would arrive, and the building also featured guest services and various other administrative facilities.

But the big news, in addition to all of the original attractions being open to the public again, was the new train that took guests on a scenic trip around the property.  And by "scenic" we pretty much mean "pumpkins."

^^There's Peter Jr. washing off the paint after a typical day at the Patch.  Shame about losing his hair so young.  [Bullethead did a great job crafting a shallow creek for this map, so I wanted to throw a human in for a sense of scale.]

Some other changes, including a large emporium and some midway games were also planned as part of the reopening, but earlier that spring Mrs. P. changed the plans.  Word of mouth was so bad at the end of the prior season that she really wanted something big for the guests this year (bigger than just the train.)    In April a large truck labeled "AlmightyCorp" showed up and workers jumped out and began constructing this large barn.  Then they promptly began the work of distressing it to make it look like it was barely standing.

"Tempest" was a flat ride, nothing more than a glorified tilt-a-whirl with some tornado theming.   The interior of the barn was designed to replicate that scene at the end of the Twister movie.  There was a slight glitch following construction however, as the fire marshall didn't like that guests were exiting the attraction right in front of a train track.  He did allow the Petersens to switch the entrance and exit around, provided there was a crossing gate and an onsite employee at the entrance to supervise. 

Many guests commented that they felt like they'd been on this ride before, and one guest was overheard saying he could've sworn this looked just like Cyclone Sam's at World's of Fun.  It was true, AlmightyCorp is the company that did some recent work at WoF, hence their ability to sell the attraction secondhand to the Petersens once Cedar Fair decided they didn't want this anymore.  [At this stage of Planet Coaster, I've now built so many parks that I can practically build entire parks using things I've already built before, with various amounts of re-theming.  For Cyclone Sam's 2nd life at Happy Hollow, I downsized the barn slightly, added some new interior effects, and had to make the entrance/exit switch so that the priority pass queue could still serve to make the Spooky Shack walkthrough next door functional.   This was originally supposed to be the location for the train station, but it was making the entrance plaza too congested, hence the whole re-pathing thing I had to do.]

Here's some onride/offride footage that Mary Petersen filmed on opening weekend [note how the funnel cloud appears to form over the ride at the beginning of the 2nd sequence:]

Not really an overhead, but enough to see most of the new entrance plaza, the location of Tempest, and the proximity to some of the attractions showcased last year.  [Mary wanted me to remind you that all of her old photographs are not necessarily stored chronologically, and some of them might show attractions from later seasons.]

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:55 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch, year five [with video footage]
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 03:49 PM »
The Happy Hollow entrance sign (both of them) looks great- a combination of board pieces and billboard image (right?). I really like those angled beams on the covered bridge, it gives it a lot of visual interest. I like how the ramps, leading up to Tempest, approach from two different directions and converge to form a single queue (I think that's the exit, used to be the entrance?). Peter Jr. looks a bit scrawny for someone raised on a farm. Maybe he didn't lose his hair; maybe that's just his back-to-school haircut. :D

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 03:50 PM »
looks great - love the layout and feel of this park. Awesome signage as well.

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 04:33 PM »
Loving your progress on this park! Tilt A Whirl is a perfect choice for a first ride.

The new entrance looks great!

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 05:11 PM »
The Happy Hollow entrance sign (both of them) looks great- a combination of board pieces and billboard image (right?). I really like those angled beams on the covered bridge, it gives it a lot of visual interest. I like how the ramps, leading up to Tempest, approach from two different directions and converge to form a single queue (I think that's the exit, used to be the entrance?). Peter Jr. looks a bit scrawny for someone raised on a farm. Maybe he didn't lose his hair; maybe that's just his back-to-school haircut. :D

Thanks JB, I really appreciate your observations because sometimes I do dumb things for no reason...  the dual exit on the ride is not really necessary, in fact one of them is not even an actual in-game path.  I think I was just giving it some symmetry, and I guess in theory one of those ramps takes guests much closer to the exit, if that's the way they're headed.

Yeah, the signs so far are all hybrids; I can't (shouldn't?) use lighted signs in a park like this, so I'm forced to improvise.  I just went back and made an edit to the Tempest sign because I didn't feel like it looked tornado-ey enough:

And yeah, being an artsy type, Peter jr. is a bit on the scrawny side.  His brother is much stockier, assuming we ever get to see him.   :P

looks great - love the layout and feel of this park. Awesome signage as well.

Thanks wowman, really glad you like the signage because doing only one letter in each sign as a custom character felt a little bit lazy, but I think it works for a park like this.

Loving your progress on this park! Tilt A Whirl is a perfect choice for a first ride.

The new entrance looks great!

Thanks CT, it's the first FLAT ride.  Peter Sr. would be upset if we didn't give him credit for his Barnyard Express :P

And yeah, the goal with the entrance was to make it look like a brand new building, but with that certain "ranch" character.  Most of these buildings are meant to look like old farm fixtures that've been around for years.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10 AM »
Ah the tilt a whirl is a perfect addition to the grounds! And I like what you did with the sign; adds an extra flair to it! Looking forward to more! This park is getting me in the mood for fall weather!

Offline RCT D!

• San Lacrona Beach Resort
    • View Profile
    • Rollercoaster Tycoon D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 08:44 AM »
The image editing is beautiful. Your park has an excellence atmosphere. Very lovely.

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2019, 06:06 AM »
Ah the tilt a whirl is a perfect addition to the grounds! And I like what you did with the sign; adds an extra flair to it! Looking forward to more! This park is getting me in the mood for fall weather!

Like it or not, fall weather has certainly arrived this week in my real world.  I may need to turn the heat on today  :facepalm:

The image editing is beautiful. Your park has an excellence atmosphere. Very lovely.

There's no image editing, other than using one of the in-game lighting filters.  I don't even think I have the depth of field turned on anymore.

Thanks guys!!

-------------------------

Happy Hollow did not get their much-needed haunted house attraction in year six.  There were still a lot of significant gaps to fill in connecting the entrance to some of the more remote attractions, like the train station and the corn maze. 

In an effort to bridge the gaps on the main path,  Mrs. P made another trip downtown to AlmightyCorp.  They had a couple more flat rides to spare, acquired when Peony Park closed down about ten years earlier.  The Petersens could only afford one of them, so Mrs. P. returned home to think about it.  After a couple of phone calls and some intense negotiations, two flat rides were delivered.  With new paint jobs and some modest theming, the Hallowheel and the Scary Go Round made their park debuts at the start of season 6.

Farmer Petersen was NOT happy about the deal his wife made with Cosmic Cow, thus allowing a national chain onto the property.  Not to mention, a rather amusement park cliche one at that.  "What's next?  Dipping Dots?" he asked.  But it was this deal that got them both of the available attractions, and now the main path connected the Tempest with the Feed Mill, and then onto the Barnyard Express and Corn Maze.

For much less money, Mr. P and the boys spent the summer building the "Pirate Maze," a low budget walkthrough that was located just slightly too close to the new carousel.   Hardly a maze so much as a linear path, but the smaller kids seemed to enjoy it that season, and afterward they could ride the very non-scary plastic ponies and then get some ice cream from a big bouncing cow.

Not sure why Mary stuck that last pic in this pile, it doesn't really have anything to do with any of the things I just talked about.

That's better.

[The carousel skin is workshop, but I only needed it for the custom shingled roof, so I rebuilt everything below it.  Samplerocker's hay bale's were a perfect release this week that will now probably show up in every screenshot. And those TMTK bats look so much better on ferris wheel than the custom jack-o-lantern I tried to come up with on my own.   :down:]

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch, season SIX
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2019, 02:21 PM »
The full moon with bats makes a perfect hub for the -Ferris Hallowheel. And I don't know why Mr. P is against Cosmic Cow. I've always thought that the Cosmic Cow sign/logo (as in the 4th screenshot) looks like some sort of zombie skull thingy: the pink snout is the mouth, the cow's eyes are the zombie's nostrils, the pink ears are the drooping zombie eyes, I guess the horns would be the eyebrows, and the pink disk behind the cow is the top of the skull-  Perfect for this time of year! :D

I love the looks of the Pirate Maze, with the pointy logs and the cobblestone path that one of the Petersens laid down. The Scary-Go-Round looks great in all its Autumnal glory. And I'm glad Mary stuck that off-topic pic in there; makes me wonder what that pumpkin & hay bale tree is all about. ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:25 PM by JB »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 03:47 PM »
The farm is really beginning to shape up nicely with the new additions. Although I'm not sure about that Cosmic Cow entertainer. :P  Love all the little details you add to your parks and this one is no exception. Very nice work.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Lovely update! Really enjoying the transitioning!

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Love the new rides, and am really enjoying your story line.

Your idea of light theming is my way over the top, but I love it!

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2019, 07:39 PM »
The farm is really beginning to shape up nicely with the new additions. Although I'm not sure about that Cosmic Cow entertainer. :P  Love all the little details you add to your parks and this one is no exception. Very nice work.

Thanks Shy.  The Cosmic Cow mascot is part of the opening day package when you sign the contract, so he was gone shortly after that photo was taken, thankfully.   On the plus side you also get several crates of promotional items, like t-shirts and plushies.  :P

Lovely update! Really enjoying the transitioning!

Thanks Plokoon!

Love the new rides, and am really enjoying your story line.

Your idea of light theming is my way over the top, but I love it!

I don't think the theming is TOO excessive for a park like this, but all the flat rides definitely are.  Almost everything should be a walk-through or some kind of entertainment-based, but that would be kind of boring to build, not to mention all the peeps would hate me.  I'm using the story to keep myself in check on the budget but even then I think some of this is going to be entirely unrealistic.  :(

The full moon with bats makes a perfect hub for the -Ferris Hallowheel. And I don't know why Mr. P is against Cosmic Cow. I've always thought that the Cosmic Cow sign/logo (as in the 4th screenshot) looks like some sort of zombie skull thingy: the pink snout is the mouth, the cow's eyes are the zombie's nostrils, the pink ears are the drooping zombie eyes, I guess the horns would be the eyebrows, and the pink disk behind the cow is the top of the skull-  Perfect for this time of year! :D

I love the looks of the Pirate Maze, with the pointy logs and the cobblestone path that one of the Petersens laid down. The Scary-Go-Round looks great in all its Autumnal glory. And I'm glad Mary stuck that off-topic pic in there; makes me wonder what that pumpkin & hay bale tree is all about. ;)

I like your "zombie" idea, but basically I just figured cow goes with farm.   :P    As for the pumpkin tree, not much of a story there other than I was trying to copy a real life photo to help fill some path space:

Thank you all!

---------------

I need to wrap this up by Halloween so here's another update.   Not much in year seven, although the Petersen's finally did get their new "Eerie Emporium" built.  It didn't seem logical to keep adding onto the Harvest Shop, so an entirely new building was constructed in the area formerly occupied by the corn maze.  Being brand new, it didn't exactly look too eerie on the outside...

It did look kind of cool at night...

And it was only slightly eerie on the inside. 

The Harvest Shop was renamed to "Harvest Market" and now would only sell produce from the farm as well as various arts and crafts from the locals (and Mrs. Petersen herself.)  The Eerie Emporium served triple duty as a novelty/curiosity boutique, a sort of interactive museum, and upstairs there was a coffee shop/bakery.  One guest remarked that she could spend her entire day in there and never even see the park.  Kids enjoyed it too, posing for pictures with the giant werewolf or climbing inside of an actual coffin, having their fortune's told or even playing some, um, pinball.  (I do hope the Petersens find a better location for those pinball machines.)

Here's an overview of the pumpkin plaza, looking a lot less barren with the Emporium in place.  (The Cider stand had to be relocated to another part of the park to make room.)

Meanwhile, in much lesser news, the only other addition to Happy Hollow that year was the new petting feeding zoo, where guests could buy food and then hopefully have the animals eating from the palms of their hands. 

^There's another shot of that pumpkin tree, JB.

The furthest cage is supposed to be called "Bunnyville", but for whatever reason there seemed to be a shortage of available bunnies that season.  Somehow they came up with plenty of meerkats.  And honestly I have no idea how a farmer ended up with zebra and ostrich, but that's really none of my business.

Finally, another overview of this end of the farm.  Maybe one of these days I'll stumble across a year-appropriate aerial of the entire place.

[Lots of TMTK content in this update, I'm not experiencing any noticeable lag from all these items I'm subscribed to but I hope it doesn't affect anyone when they eventually are able to download this.  Also of note is the font on the Eerie Emporium sign by UAkins.]

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch, season 7 (aka, We Bought A Zoo)
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2019, 08:08 PM »
The harvest market is really well made! Loving the details!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2019, 10:14 PM »
I like the skull & crossbones above the Toilets sign. Make ya kinda wonder what's going on in there... Maybe the Petersens need to change the deodorizers and put out some more urinal cakes. I love the way the merchandise is laid out in the Harvest Market but... candy canes? (I'm in a jokey mood. I do really like the interior.)

The peeps feed gumballs to the zebras? :P  Those zebras must be from the old Fruit Stripe Gum commercials. Don't all family farms have zebras, ostriches, and meerkats? (Even I had peacocks. So I won't mention those.) Happy Hollow is coming along nicely. Yeah, it may not be totally realistic to have expensive carnival-type rides on a family farm; but hey, Knott's Berry Farm started with just a walk-thru Ghost Town and eventually turned into a rollercoaster/thrill ride theme park. Like you said- it wouldn't be much fun to build if the Petersens stayed within their means.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2019, 03:18 PM »
Those short rope fences are hardly going to keep those ostriches in. And the meerkats will burrow out of there in no time. The Petersens are going to learn some hard lessons if they insist on creating a small zoo without any knowledge of how to build enclosures for each animal type.  :P

Anyway, great update, and I love the interior of the Harvest Market.

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2019, 05:40 AM »
The harvest market is really well made! Loving the details!

Thanks Plokoon!

I love the way the merchandise is laid out in the Harvest Market but... candy canes? (I'm in a jokey mood. I do really like the interior.)

The peeps feed gumballs to the zebras? :P  Those zebras must be from the old Fruit Stripe Gum commercials. Don't all family farms have zebras, ostriches, and meerkats? (Even I had peacocks. So I won't mention those.) Happy Hollow is coming along nicely. Yeah, it may not be totally realistic to have expensive carnival-type rides on a family farm; but hey, Knott's Berry Farm started with just a walk-thru Ghost Town and eventually turned into a rollercoaster/thrill ride theme park. Like you said- it wouldn't be much fun to build if the Petersens stayed within their means.

Haha, I felt the pinball machines was the line-crossing moment, but you went after the candy canes :P.   Easy fix, (which I forgot to work on this week, I was far too busy addressing Shyguys' much more urgent concerns).   As for the animal food, those just look like gumball machines but they actually contain species-appropriate highly nutritious animal food.  The animals seem to like them, in fact the zebra's each gained 10 lbs in season 7.    As for your, um, peacocks, I do believe there is a story there but I don't know if I'm mentally prepared for it at the moment... :D

Those short rope fences are hardly going to keep those ostriches in. And the meerkats will burrow out of there in no time. The Petersens are going to learn some hard lessons if they insist on creating a small zoo without any knowledge of how to build enclosures for each animal type.  :P

You are correct, the Petersens weren't prepared for the the ostrich's and meerkats.  Nobody is even sure how they found meerkats to begin with.  But yep, they all escaped that season and haven't been seen since, probably got on a boat for their African homeland.  The good news is that the Petersen's improved the enclosures for season 8, and finally were able to get some bunnies to live in Bunnyville.  :P

Personally, I think the cute little bunny barn is quite adorable.
----------------------------

The skyline view from the parking lot changed slightly in season 8.

It turns out that Mrs. Petersen's, um, "dealer" at AlmightyCorp had another flat ride that I he hadn't mentioned previously because I he didn't think she'd be interested, but upon hearing about the pirate maze I he thought maybe there might be a chance...  the old swinging Pirate Ship from Peony Park [my fictional one, not the real one] had been in storage collecting dust for well over a decade and he was able to offer it up at a reasonable price.

A new walk-through "Pet Cemetary" attraction was planned for the right side of the main path (across from Tempest and the renamed "Scare-ousel"  but there was some land behind the cemetary that the Petersens' hadn't made plans for.  So the men put their creative minds together and came up with "Ghost Ship."

The pet cemetary was fairly small as the Petersens' had plans for a much larger (and scarier) cemetary later.  There wasn't too much to distinguish it from a normal cemetary, except maybe for some random fire hydrants, dog houses, chew toys, and the like.  Along with some clever tombstones like "Here lies Fido, why'd he have to go and died-o?" and my favorite "Andy the guppy:  Aug 2006 - Sep 2006."

With the Pirate Maze and now the Ghost Ship, the Petersens continued on theming a mini little pirate land, adding a new standalone eatery with counter service and somewhat-interior seating.  (This picture is spoilery of an attraction to come the following year, but Mary assured me it's the only photo she could find of Grub n' Grog.)

Mr. Petersen continued to try and fill up some empty path space in his barnyard area, now offering a riding bull (additional charge) and a random midway game here and there (additional charge).

As many guests continued bringing their own food into the park, additional table seating was added and themed when available, like a group of picnic tables near a teepee encampment.

My favorite though is the "Henway Piano", a giant piano keyboard where the keys each correspond to an animatronic chicken on the truck behind, each one squawking at a different musical note. 

The kids really seemed to enjoy this one, although I guess you wouldn't know that from the lack of children in that photo.  :(

[Notes:  Samplerocker and co. have been adding new western items almost daily to the workshop, perfect fits for this park and kind of like a new scenery pack that Frontier should've given us by now.   The Henway Piano comes from one of my local inspiration parks, Vala's Pumpkin Patch.  The Pirate Ship is a complete stretch for a park like this, but I tried to make it look smaller by bringing in the fencing tight around the base and surrounding it with tall-ish trees.]

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2019, 05:43 AM »
Love the pet cemetary and the Fenway piano is so unique and clever! It reminds me of the movie Big with Tom Hanks almost Haha.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch, season 8 (more pirates and more PEP)
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2019, 09:54 PM »
We really did have peacocks and peahens- okay, peafowl. But I bet you would have made a joke about peafowl as well. :P  (We also had golden pheasants and guinea hens.)

Bunnyville (really? :D)  looks great. But I bet those nice pretty flowers don't last long with a pen full of rabbits. ;)

Quote: "The skyline view from the parking lot changed slightly in season 8."

No kidding! Looks like the Petersens are going to give Six Flags a run for their money. I like the pale, ghostly lighting on the Ghost Ship.

Andy the guppy's epitaph made me chuckle out loud. The whole pet cemetery idea is genius. Is that fire hydrant tombstone from Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms? Love the bones in front of the doghouse but I can't tell what that is inside the house.

I love the Henway piano. I'd definitely be jumping around on that.

Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch, season 8 (more pirates and more PEP)
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Love the pet cemetary and the Fenway piano is so unique and clever! It reminds me of the movie Big with Tom Hanks almost Haha.

Haha, I agree!  Too bad the keys don't light up when you step on them  :P

Is that fire hydrant tombstone from Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms? Love the bones in front of the doghouse but I can't tell what that is inside the house.

Did he do a fire hydrant tombstone too?  Dammit, I thought I was being clever.  This is his map after all but I added the hydrants to this attraction.  As for what's in the doghouse, well we know from literature and film that sometimes when you bury things in a pet cemetary they tend to come back...

-------------

[Note:  I was going to save the haunted house and cemetary for the end of the story, right before Halloween, but it's starting to seem extremely unrealistic for a pumpkin patch to exist ten years without a haunted house.  Plus, it's starting to show up in my screenshots.  So I'll reveal exteriors now as a walk-through attraction with the premise that the Petersens will turn it into a tracked ride in the year 2019, and hopefully they'll be smart and competent enough to create a marketing video to promote it.]

By the ninth year the Petersens had heard enough complaints about the lack of scariness in their halloween themed park.  All investment cash that year went into a new structure that was meant to look like an old structure, long decayed and abandoned...  well, mostly abandoned.  They started spreading the rumor that park guests had been disappearing, and the old Hollow House on the "edge" of the property was suddenly, well, coming back to life again.

Initially intended as a separate attraction, the rush job on the haunted house made Mrs. P want to combine it with the walk-through Haunted Cemetary in front of it.  Guests would have the opportunity to do both or just the cemetary, but they would not be able to enter the haunted house without first queueing through the cemetary.

The cemetary starts mild as you enter the queue; just a creepy statue and some crows pecking at something just below the fresh soil...

The first crypt seems to be inactive, a tomb lid slightly ajar but too much ground fog to really see anything..

The second crypt [just on the other side of the first crypt] is showing more signs of movement...

Another big statue facade [to block sightlines into what will eventually become a midway on the other side]...

By the last third of the walkthrough, the path has gotten much more, um, lively.  Particularly coming from graves, not all of which have been sealed...

And before you get to the end, all hell has broken loose as the undead wander aimlessly in the distance...

Are you going to chicken out or go inside?  [You might as well chicken out, we're not going inside until the end of the month   :P]

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch -- Season 9: Scary At Last
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2019, 01:09 PM »
The Petersen's farm is getting very spooky indeed.

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2019, 01:56 PM »
ditto - what was more of a family looking park up to now...is turning very scary...but I love it.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2019, 04:16 PM »
I love everything about that last shot. :)  And the first statue is indeed creepy, but also beautiful, drenched in that purple light.
And I don't think BH had any fire hydrant tombstones, just regular ones (in multiple colors and flow-rates. ;))  I thought maybe you just re-colored one of his. So yes, dammit, you were indeed being clever. :P

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Like the new Pirate area, but I'm really loving the haunted house! This little family park is really shaping up!

The queue with all the crypts and statues looks fantastic!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2019, 12:10 AM »
Yes its now much more scary looking... but those dark pictures with the haunted house look amazing and fit perfect into that time of the year... Amazing project... :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop