Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: The 2019 conclusion

• 121 replies

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch -- There's a Light...
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2019, 05:56 AM »
Wheres the video! :-(
And thanks for telling me about that custom rocks, I'll have to DL it.

Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch -- There's a Light...
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Don't believe the hype, I'm expecting much better stuff this week from the likes of Berlin and Shiftzie.   But I'm mostly ok with this for what it is:  I wanted it to look like it could have once been a simple walkthrough attraction made with the low budget resources of a neighborhood Pumpkin Patch.   I also wanted to focus on fear elements that have nothing to do with the supernatural...  I think I got there because there's a couple of scenes in here that kind of creeped me out.  Abeit, I'm a wuss.

Here is Happy Hollow's House of Horror:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:11 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: House of Horror! (POV released)
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Great job man! Loved the scenes, they all made sense and progressed well I believe. I wasn't a big fan of the adventure music, seemed out of place to be honest. But great effort for sure!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2019, 03:10 PM »
I enjoyed the video. :)  I like how, in the opening scene, our eyes are drawn to the House of Horror, off in the distance by the lightning flashes (strobe). The guy (teen?) hanging in the upstairs bedroom might be one of the disturbing things you mentioned? (I know I found it kinda disturbing.) I like how you enclosed many of the scare scenes in chicken wire, like they do in real life walkthroughs.

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Thanks Plokoon.  I hadn't thought of that orchestral arrangement as adventure-sounding (it's Alice Cooper) but I can see how it sounds that way.  I attached the song to the ride itself (it's not dubbed over in production like the first song) so I've probably heard it several hundred times now during testing and just kind of got used to it being there. 

JB:  Yep, it made me uncomfortable as well because it does look like a teen.  (Doesn't help that I used the same mannequin as one of the Petersen boys earlier).   I made sure not to put any tipped chairs near him like there are throughout the house and was hoping that all the other bodies lying around would suggest that he was put there by someone else; perhaps the dude in the basement with the hatchet...   Initially I went with a lot of ghost-cliche's and the bedroom scene was going to be a woman levitating over a bed.  But this really isn't a haunted house story.

Likewise for the girl in the tub.  It's dark.  Ultimately I think I felt if something was creeping me out, that was kind of the whole point.  (Somehow I had no problem with the head on the dining room table or the bodies in the freezer though.)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2019, 05:28 AM »
I love it, JP!!!!  I sneaked a peek at the earlier version and I honestly am not sure what all changed.   :confused:  But this version is super spooky and the perfect ride for Happy Hollow! 

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2019, 06:08 AM »
hahaha, I thought of you after the changes and said "He's totally wondering why I made the same video twice."

MOSTLY it was because new computers won't run Windows Movie Maker, which is far more functional than what they're giving us now.  So I made the new one on my old computer so I could have access to music fading and scene transitions again, because the audio was really bugging me.  But I also saw a bunch of stuff in the first version I wanted to change in the park itself, amongst them:

Outside:

--in the offride, peeps were walking through walls because I didn't have underground kerbs in place.  It was distracting.
--I decided I didn't like the big lit workshop sign on the front, too campy for a ride like this.  I made some other cosmetic changes to the front facade and added the red lighting on the main window so that the camera would have a place to zoom toward, and it would make sense with the music "there's a light..."
--added some new offride footage at the beginning, after also thinning out the trees in the cemetary because they were blocking sightlines.
--I took off the in-game turret roof in the back (the one on top of the peekaboo moment) because the base was sticking out through the ceiling and was visible in the ride.   Also, the turret was too tall for this supposably average sized farmhouse.  I built my own roof in place of it; it's janky but I figured for an old abandoned house a few crooked shingles would be ok.  :P

Inside:

The zombies in the jail cell didn't fit the theme.  It was a cool visual, but I'm going to use it in another attraction that has a zombie theme.  So instead I just stuck another mannequin inside the cell to imply that he was next up on the "chopping block"  :P
I spaced out all the visuals in the final cellar scenes, a lot of stuff was happening too close together and you couldn't see any of it well.   The jail cell, the bloody wall, the morgue of bodies...
In the kitchen, the bats shooting out of the open cellar door weren't very visible so I repositioned my cannon for that shot.
Also in the kitchen, I stuck an animatronic squirming thing inside the metal tub of body parts, where the chicken is pecking at something.  You know, just to make it a little more gross  :whistling:
I cleaned up the freezer a little bit, there was so much stuff in there that you couldn't see some of the corpses.

You know, the usual types of things a normal person would do.   :facepalm:  (It also occurs to me that if I had sent any of the above list via an email or text message I'd probably have the FBI showing up at my door.)   :-X

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2019, 09:09 AM »
ha ha ha ha!  I think my favorite part is the staircase down to the cellar with the bats.  I love that.

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2019, 05:22 AM »
ha ha ha ha!  I think my favorite part is the staircase down to the cellar with the bats.  I love that.

I figured just seeing an ajar cellar door would be enough to give some creeps.  After a track adjustment I realized that you were getting a full-on view of the cellar, so I added the hanging bats.  And then I thought it would be cool if a bunch of them flew out right after you whizzed past the doorway.  Granted, the ones that fly out are considerably smaller than what you saw hanging inside, but you're not supposed to notice that :P

-----------------

Thanks for all the video views and comments, I realize it's much more of a time investment to sit through a video rather than look at pictures, but since it's also a time investment (for me at least) to even make a video (I hate it!) I held off on the interior photos until you were forced to see it in the video.

There's a couple things on this attraction I did not like, one of them is (mostly) not my fault.  I had to go with the Hoax track and it's very simple, low-budgety cars.  It's a very bendable and narrow track so it fit the scale of something that was also meant to look like it could've once been a walk-through attraction.  But that's where the benefits stop, because you also have no control over speed or car direction, and all you can really do is lock and unlock it's spinning.  So I had to build the track first, figure out which way the cars were facing, and build all my scenes from that.   Adding a functional second story was necessary to increase the length of the ride without making a gigantic show building, but getting the train back down to the main floor was a problem, because it picked up so much speed and everything after that descent goes by really fast.  By extending the back of the building and adding some track I was able to get the cars slowed back down by the end scenes, but it kind of kills the momentum (and the realism, because there's no reason a dark ride should pick up speed like that.)  Boo, Frontier.

The other thing, totally my fault, is the theming at the end of the ride, which I'll get to in a minute.

The living and dining room scenes are pretty basic, not much of interest other than a moving head on the dining room table.  I don't feel like it starts getting interesting until the kitchen, where there's a lot of things happening at once in this scene:

There's body parts in the tub and a chicken pecking at something (brains maybe?)  There was additionally once a chicken on the stove pecking at the "stew" but since the stove is lit that chicken probably would've chose safety over hunger :P.   There's a rat that scurries out and disappears into a knothole in under the sink, the faucet is running and the sink is overflowing but water doesn't show up good in night shots in this game.

Right after the aforementioned bats in the cellar is the freezer scene, with three bodies suspended on meat hooks and a few more scattered amongst the other perishables on the floor for good measure. 

And then comes one of my favorite shots, a happy accident that happens so fast that you get a "what did I just see there?" moment:

I didn't take a photo, but there's what looks like a hand railing on the right side of the first staircase that is actually supposed to be one of those chair-lift thingies that old people have.  [I was going to make a citytrader joke right there but I'm not going to because it's possible that I'm older.]

^^The bathroom scene, (both bathroom and kitchen feature some workshop content), more running water, blood on the floor and the water in the tub is supposed to be red but I went with creepier lighting so the red unfortunately isn't visible.

My very favorite shot in this ride, another last minute near accident:  You get this beautiful head-on shot of the spider window, and then I got the idea to have an actual spider drop down directly in front of the spider on the window.  I'm not so good with subtlety :P

I then tried to something similar with the next 2 stained glass windows, including the bedroom scene (not shown) and this one, but the cars really need to be travelling perpendicular to the window to get the full effect, and in these cases, neither do.

Something else you don't really see in the video, the spiral staircase that takes you back downstairs really is a staircase and not just a track/ramp, I wanted to make the ride suddenly bumpy at this point but didn't know how to do that :(

I kind of wanted to make the illusion that you were actually dropping all the way to the cellar, even though you're back on the first floor.  The walls have changed to cinder block, lots of beams and cobwebs, floor debris and [Fisherman's] glowing eyes in the walls.  I ended up pulling back on some of the theming, given how fast the cars were moving at this point.

Luckily, they slowed down just barely enough in time for the morgue (why is there a bunch of morgue drawers in a farmhouse?  Because it's creepy, final answer.  :P)

This is what ended up being my "grand finale" scene, and there's not much grand about it.  I suppose it gives some closure to what's passing for a story here, simply that someone is killing people grotesquely and doesn't seem to have an exit strategy for the corpse disposal.  It should have ended bigger, more shocking, more visual.  I had simply run out of ideas at this point and I also didn't want to make the attraction building any larger. 

That scene is followed by a decidedly boring hallway that takes you to the exit.  But at least the station is well-disguised to look like a basic farmhouse foyer, no ride operator or visible equipment.  Just some audible "drips" since it's obviously storming outside and the roof is in disrepair :P

The show building backs right up to the parking lot, so I figured the Petersens, (back when they owned  this place) would've continued the exterior theming somewhat to generate interest.  There's also a train ride that passes by that needed some interest as well, (look mom!  It's an open garage door with park maintenance vehicles!) 

Well, there's still a lot to see, none of it really finished, and nothing anybody is going to be interested in once Halloween is over.  So I'll probably crank out photo updates through the week (a zombie POV video is looking unlikely, I didn't plan my time well.  :()

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: House of Horror! (interior photos)
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2019, 05:55 AM »
Great run down man. I actually like the hoax cars and track; suits my hunger of classic darkrides and my need to fit a tight ride in small spaces. But I can understand what you wanted. The speed should be an option to turn it on or off. I like the speed for those classic gravity darkride types but in your instance it does suck. I ran into that problem as well. But good job!

I would have used a queue line to simulate a walkthrough and go into peep cam. But bravo again JP!

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2019, 06:12 AM »
Already LOTS of walkthrough attractions in this park, including the queue for this ride, so I knew early on this had to be a tracked ride (triggers were important as well.)  Totally agree with you about a tight ride in a small space, the Hoax really felt like the only option here.  But I had not thought about the need for gravity darkrides (I've even built a couple, so I should've known).  My apologies for the Frontier bash (this time :P)

Thanks so much for all your support on this Plokoon! 

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2019, 06:14 AM »
Ah yes triggers make sense Haha. I do agree on making videos is hard and time consuming especially if your a busy guy. I need to make some videos for some of my attractions too it seems.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2019, 04:00 PM »
I actually like screenshots better than a video in many ways. Yes, a video gives you that you-are-there feel, but with screenshots you can study them to your heart's content before moving on to the next one. I missed seeing some of the scare gags in the video- maybe too dark or too fast. I think that's one of the hardest things to do in a tracked dark ride- you see a scene for only a couple of seconds; so it has to be simple enough to see everything, but themed enough to make it look great.

I was wondering why the car sped up so fast going down the stairs; now I know. I was like: "Hey wait! What was that!  Did I just see what I thought I saw?". The speed up was exciting though. :)

Quote: ".. a chicken pecking at something (brains maybe?)  There was additionally once a chicken on the stove pecking at the "stew""
Now we know that the Petersen's chickens were put to good use.

I like the thermometer on the wall of the walk-in freezer. I missed that detail in the video. And I like the kid's toys in the bedroom screenshot; the wooden wagon and the sled. Is that a slinky on the floor on top the tray? Or a ribcage? :o

Quote: "I kind of wanted to make the illusion that you were actually dropping all the way to the cellar, even though you're back on the first floor"
Well, the illusion worked with me. I thought we dropped all the way to the cellar. Although, come to think of it; I don't remember climbing out of the cellar and back to the main floor.

Quote: "why is there a bunch of morgue drawers in a farmhouse?"
Well duh! Obviously it's much more convenient for the cannibalistic residents to have their own supply of bodies downstairs. Saves them the trouble of going into town and scrounging around for fresh corpses at the local hospital, or Walmart. But wait... where did the cannibals get all those bodies? Does anyone keep track of how many riders go in, and how many come out?

I think the final 'boring' hallway is actually quite creepy. Sometimes it's what you don't see that looks scariest.

(final) Quote: "look mom! It's an open garage door with park maintenance vehicles!"
Scariest. Scene. Ever.

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2019, 11:18 AM »
JB:  You summarized a lot of my build-thoughts in these comments, including making balance between detailed yet clear dark ride scenes, and the "sometimes it's what you don't see that looks scariest"...  there were a lot of intentional "lulls" between scares in the ride, and most animatronics were turned off because the lack of motion was scarier (and more realistic; this ain't Disney).  I'm glad you felt the 2 story drop (a spiral staircase helps); I wasn't so much worried about pretending to get the peeps back to the main floor because the ride was over at that point and we already have their money.  :P    As for the slinky, we're totally going to go with that.  I think it's actually bracelets or something from the workshop meant to be sold in a shop; I was just looking for small doo-dads to fill up space.  :D

-------------------

Big update here, I want to try and show at least a little bit of everything that remains.  I go back to work on Thursday, so I've only got today and tomorrow to finish up the park (I already know I'm going to lose my Halloween interest by that point, not to mention everybody else.)  So I'll stop building tomorrow but if I don't finish showing everything I'll go ahead and keep doing that for as many updates as it takes.

So as mentioned, the conversion from walkthrough to dark ride happened to the House of Horror this year.  But Almightycorp bought foreclosed on the park 3 years ago, and a lot happened in that time.  Some of it was already started by the Petersens, or built in part from their own plans, much of it came from Almightycorp (you can probably tell which is which.)  I guess that means that the entire park started sometime around 2003 or 4 maybe?  If so, my Angry Birds attraction is almost plausible.

The final land added to the park continues along the plot past the feeding zoo, the pig races, and the Angry Pigs.  "County Scare" was to be an attempt by the Petersens to add a bunch of seasonally rented carnival flat rides and midway booths.  Almightycorp went ahead and purchased all of those rides outright and gave them some theming to make them more permanent.  (There's a lot of pics here so I'll try to limit my commentary to the extent that I'm remotely capable.)

^^I think the Petersens intended for this to be a soda fountain, but they didn't finish it and neither did we.  For now it's just a place employees can hang out during their breaks.

^^The big spider is supposed to be a giant puppety thing kind of like the dragon, except for this one the kids themselves can manually move the arms up and down by pulling on ropes.  Kids are easy to entertain.

^^Once again special thanks to Fisherman.  His midway games integrated so easily with this park, especially the Widows Walk, which looks exactly like something the Petersens rented and inflated themselves.

This next photo is the one that sent Mrs. Petersen away screaming.  She wanted to use the back of the big purple barn as a place to sell her homemade chocolate and candies, Almightycorp had a different idea.  The entire "barn" theme was kind of lost in the build, but here at corporate they always say you have to spend a few bucks to make a lot more bucks.  Or something like that.  At any rate, now we can close down the candy stand in the Eerie Emporium and get rid of the candy canes, which we know will make at least one of our customers very happy.  :D

^^I'll just tell you.  The Petersens' built the giant slide into the hill, we added the castle and the zip lines.  (And in an Almightycorp first, there is now a safety net under the ziplines.  Something about a lawsuit back in Copper Creek, but that was so long ago we pretty much forgot about it.)   The big wooden castle isn't finished; we'd like to add some kind of walkthrough funhouse-type thing inside for the kids. 

And these next two attractions aren't finished; I'll try to get as far as I can on both of them tomorrow and show some more pics.  The Pumpkinapolis 500 was supposed to be a manually powered quad-cycle type ride like you see at many Pumpkin Patch's, and the Zombie Hunt was supposed to be a paintball arena like I've seen at 1 other Pumpkin Patch.  Both will be somewhat augmented from that concept for this park.

One note:  The Pumpkinapolis 500 building was built by Salad Fries and lifted out of his map from the summer competition we had a couple years ago (not sure if it was a horse track or a train station; we never ended up using it in the comp.)  His version was far superior, I've pretty much destroyed it in the process of making it fit this park.  It just had the look I wanted for a grandstand building and I was unable to make anything close from scratch.

One more note:  I'm leaning toward NOT putting this park on the workshop.  A lot of stuff I wanted to do isn't done, and to load the park you'd end up subscribing to damn near the entire TMTK section of the workshop, which if it works at all will make your first load very slow and then clutter up your download bin forever.  If ANYONE is interested in having this park let me know and I'll see what I can do, even if it means uploading an unfinished beta-type thing.  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:21 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: Seasons 13-15 (EVERYTHING ELSE)
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Love the Grateful Undead band!
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Very ingenious  with the slide you created! I love the zombie hunt, very realistic in terms I see them very popular over in PA. Great update as always!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2019, 03:36 PM »
In the first pic, I'm trying to figure out why an eyeball is stuck to the side of that barrel. I can see part of an ostrich on the other side of the fence, so maybe it's the ostrich's head? There's another disconnected eyeball in the gas station screenshot, but I'm pretty sure that one belongs to one of the Angry Birds. At first I thought your gas station was the one in Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms, only creepified. But I'm pretty sure this is a different one? It looks great here, all abandoned and old fashioned.

I like how all the midway games staff look sorta like Freddy Krueger. And seeing Fisherman's Trick-Or-Treat Wheel again, when he first showed it to us, I thought all the choices were 'Trick', with no 'Treat'; but now I can see a couple of Treats there. What happens when you land on Trick?... Maybe you become a 'permanent resident' of the House of Horror. (So that's where all the bodies come from!)

I like the Tarantula name for the troika ride. The skull on the Rock-O-Plane looks great. And the... whatever-that-is theming on the zipper ride. I thought maybe it was Frankenstein's Monster, but he's not really into bowties. Maybe it's just a generic demon/zombie of some sort?

Gotta love the Grateful Undead band. Those guys need to eat more; put a little meat on their bones. I really like how the giant slide is built into the castle. I've never thought of doing that in any of my parks; I think I might have to steal that idea.

I love the Candy Barn. Frontier's creepy clown head is good for something after all. So, instead of a couple candy canes in the Eerie Emporium, now we've got tons of 'em. :mad:up:  I suppose there are such things as Halloween candy canes. I think County Scare is my favorite area of Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:40 PM by JB »

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Love the Grateful Undead band!

I built that yesterday...  so much focus lately on the attractions and totally neglecting the rural charm.  The one in my source park is an animatronic scarecrow band, I went with the workshop instruments and flexible skeleton parts to go with a dead rock band,  :)

Very ingenious  with the slide you created! I love the zombie hunt, very realistic in terms I see them very popular over in PA. Great update as always!

Are the ones you've seen paintball arenas, Plokoon?  How do they theme them?  I've never been in one, so for this I'm building a shooting gallery type thing similar to what Fisherman did with his Pirate ride.  (That is sadly the extent of my research :( )

In the first pic, I'm trying to figure out why an eyeball is stuck to the side of that barrel. I can see part of an ostrich on the other side of the fence, so maybe it's the ostrich's head?  At first I thought your gas station was the one in Bullethead's Pharqueson Farms, only creepified. But I'm pretty sure this is a different one? It looks great here, all abandoned and old fashioned.

And seeing Fisherman's Trick-Or-Treat Wheel again, when he first showed it to us, I thought all the choices were 'Trick', with no 'Treat'; but now I can see a couple of Treats there. What happens when you land on Trick?...

And the... whatever-that-is theming on the zipper ride. I thought maybe it was Frankenstein's Monster, but he's not really into bowties. Maybe it's just a generic demon/zombie of some sort?

I love the Candy Barn. Frontier's creepy clown head is good for something after all.  I think County Scare is my favorite area of Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch.

Yep, it's an ostrich.  I knew they were animatronic but didn't know they bent down so far, and this one had his head stuck through the fence so I had to get it in the screen shot  :P    I copied the gas station from a photo I found on the internet, but now I do want to go back and look at BH's gas station to see if we picked up on similarities.  His was more functional as a business, if I recall.

I had the same question when I first saw the Trick or Treat wheel, but then figured it probably just meant Prize vs. No Prize.  (Kind of like actual trick or treating, tricks seldom come into play there from my experience)  :P

And yep, I was waiting for some mockery on this, but it's my attempt at a big giant Frankenstein monster head.  See the lighted "bolts" in his neck?  And the flattened head, and the eyes that spin like police sirens, --  um, yeah, I think I can see the confusion.   :facepalm:

The candy barn... it was just supposed to be a big open-front barn, and I was going to do this majestic interior.  But as time ran out I pretty much just enclosed the front and gave a few teaser peaks at the inside...  I think I might've gone  over the top and next time I load it up I think I might see how it looks without that big vintage park clown on top?

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2019, 09:43 PM »
I kinda like the clown head here. It adds to the colors and shapes that the building is bursting with. Besides, if you removed the clown, who would be holding the candy corn and pretzels? ;)

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2019, 09:43 AM »
First some edits:

JB, hopefully Frank is looking more Stein-ey now.  No more bow tie and a nice scar where they sewed his brains in.

Thanks to Fisherman, Ghost Ship is looking more ghost-ey due to some new mannequins scattered about.

You lost this one, JB.  The vintage sign was too big on the Candy Barn, and the base was blocking the doorways (and sightlines into the modicum of an interior this place has.  But look, it's a spooky clown on top to remind you that you're in a Halloween park!   :)

The main event here is that I "finished" the Pumpkinapolis 500 and the Zombie Hunt.

As always, I have immense appreciation to all for comments, views, content contributions, advice, and pretty much for not banning me from this forum due to spectacular incompetence.  If you left a comment in this thread, your name is (hopefully) inside the Zombie Hunt.

Sadly, we may never know who's name was on the movie theater, as it appears the zombies have vandalised that sign.

You can get a closer look at both attractions (and hopefully your name) in this quickie video I threw together.  (The zombie portion is just the POV as opposed to the "shooter" version... the targets aren't hooked up yet / (ever?)  In an actual simulation, you would lose points for shooting non-zombies.  Except chickens, because in this case they have been zombie'd.

Have a happy (and safe) Halloween!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: Zombie Hunt POV
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Yep, the forehead stitches make Frank look more Stein-ish. Only... now that I look at it again, the Zipper cars and track, sticking up high above Frank's head makes him look a little like Bride of Frankenstein with a big beehive hairdo. :P  I'll mention again how perfect that pale greenish-gray/teal lighting is on the Ghost Ship. Eerie.

About the clown head: The colors on the new clown match the overall color scheme better. The other head was more suited for a 1920s Coney Island-type park anyway. And the candy corn is still there; but not the pretzel. That's okay, I don't much care for pretzels anyway, at least not the hard shiny kind.

Hmm, the name on that theater sign is a real toughie; guess we'll never know. ;)

And "JBs Diner"; that's quite appropriate. I'm a (retired) cook. Thank you for making me a part of you creation. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:45 PM by JB »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09 PM »
from yooootooob:

Thank you so much for my easter egg!  ha ha ha!!!  Perfect use of the clowns.  The ride is awesome.  The wall of zombies is brilliant.

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2019, 03:49 PM »
from yooootooob:

Thank you so much for my easter egg!  ha ha ha!!!  Perfect use of the clowns.  The ride is awesome.  The wall of zombies is brilliant.

You're very welcome!  The pirates were easy to incorporate but with the haunted house already done, I had to come up with a way of using your other actors...  turns out, your shop in the Zombie Hunt was just sitting empty waiting for some merchandise to sell.   :)

---------------

I'm definitely done building in this park for now, even started up something else over the weekend that as usual has gotten me addicted all over again.    But today I loaded up Happy Hollow one last time to see if there was anything else I needed to show...  and really, there's not much.  Most of what to see is all the stuff I didn't do...

The go karts and the Zombie Hunt really were the last things I built... pathing was started into the remaining land but nothing ended up happening there... yet.   I was going to stick one of Bullethead's portable coaster re-creations over the pond, but the train kept getting in the way and I gave up since time was running out.  Maybe next year.

3 things worth noting in this shot...  The 2nd train station was built right next to the parking lot to be used as an "exit-only" gate for park go-ers late at night who were nowhere near the main gates, or perhaps parked on this end of the lot.  The back of the slide castle was left unthemed so that it would look like the cheap construction that it's meant to be, although that could also change in a future update.  And on the back of the zombie building, that house full of zombies was made with a lot of 3 dimensional pieces that were sticking out the back, so I had to create some kind of facade on the back... so I just basically rebuilt the house and used it as an advertising gimmick.

I mentioned this "bridge to nowhere" earlier in the Storybook Garden episode...  all I really had planned were some nature trails and picnic shelters / campire pits for people to bring their own food, kind of common in these places.  But that would have been boring to build, not to mention post pictures of.  Instead, here's a lovely shot of Bullethead Falls.  :)

I started this overpass early in the build, thinking the parking lot would need to be on the south side of that road and peeps would need a safe way to get to the park.  Bullethead did the same thing in his Pharqueson Farm project with this map (he built it like that to add to the challenge.)  But in my case the park was so small that we never really needed the additional parking.  There's the overpass anyway.

A project like this was never going to have much of a skyline.  Here it is anyway.

And the final park map that pretty much shows everything.

There really is a lot of land left to build on, even more if I drain that pond that doesn't need to be there.  And I have a few ideas of things to add, but I need to do it in season, so hopefully I'll still have some interest in this game a year from now.

Speaking of which, it seems I'm really not at too much risk of losing interest for the time being.  Here's a shot of the thing I started up this week, and there will probably be a thread for it soon.   Unless I come up with some unexplainable urge to build a zoo first.

I can't thank everybody on the workshop, it would take days to look up all the names.  So instead I want to thank Bullethead for his map, Fisherman for his inspiration (and some key content) and JB and Plokoon, who I believe, commented on every single post.  You guys rock.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Hollow Pumpkin Patch: The 2019 conclusion
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2019, 05:07 PM »
No problem man; your work is inspiring. And it always has a fun whimsical charm when you updated! I was hoping this would be a timeline type park, so here's hoping it continues!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2019, 10:15 PM »
I really like the bare tree shadows in that first shot. And I studied the overhead view for several minutes, looking to see how everything fits together, and where. It was nice to have this little encore, to share a few more pics and some more of your thoughts about the park. :)

Thanks for giving us the Petersens and their Pumpkin Patch. Speaking of the Petersens; they didn't build those futuristic, neon-covered towers. ;)  Looks exciting! I can see how, in your next project, you would want to go from a small, low-budget family farm to something just the opposite. To cleanse your palate, creatively speaking.

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2019, 03:04 AM »
No problem man; your work is inspiring. And it always has a fun whimsical charm when you updated! I was hoping this would be a timeline type park, so here's hoping it continues!

Hmmm... I ended it in 2019 so to continue the timeline we'd be going well into the future... Even AlmightyCorp doesn't have enough money to do that many changes in one season :)   But it's true that time got away from me on this one, and that affected the story... maybe I can find a way to bring back those pesky Petersens again :)

I really like the bare tree shadows in that first shot. And I studied the overhead view for several minutes, looking to see how everything fits together, and where. It was nice to have this little encore, to share a few more pics and some more of your thoughts about the park. :)

Thanks for giving us the Petersens and their Pumpkin Patch. Speaking of the Petersens; they didn't build those futuristic, neon-covered towers. ;)  Looks exciting! I can see how, in your next project, you would want to go from a small, low-budget family farm to something just the opposite. To cleanse your palate, creatively speaking.

I like to give overheads throughout, but with this being a story park and me always building a couple weeks ahead, it's kind of hard to hide the things I'm working on.  (Not really into the photoshopping anymore... time consuming :(    So I definitely didn't want to end it without a great big summary photo, because seeing things fit together in an overhead really is kind of satisfying when you're following a park.  And, this game does give great overhead shots :)

You're exactly right about switching genres... to keep myself interested I have to go in entirely opposite directions each time.  Reality vs. fantasy...  budget vs. no budget.  And at this point I've at least dabbled in nearly every genre that I want to take on, so at some point I do have to start repeating myself.  Unless I build a zoo, hahaha.

Thanks guys!!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I really enjoyed this park, as I do all of your projects. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for your next project.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline BBordewyk

• Just another armchair imagineer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Fantastic work! Glad to see my lampposts are getting used.  :D

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2019, 07:49 AM »
I loved this park so much.  Spooky is my thing (in case you hadn't noticed...ha ha).  Thank you for taking us on this wonderful autumn adventure with you.   :)

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2019, 01:22 PM »
I really enjoyed this park, as I do all of your projects. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for your next project.

Thanks Shy.  And set your expectations low... VERY low... :P

Fantastic work! Glad to see my lampposts are getting used.  :D

Thanks Brandon -- I shouted you out at least once somewhere in the thread...  the lights were invaluable (as they seem to be for me quite often.)   I love that I keep noticing new ones when I open up a set.  :)

I loved this park so much.  Spooky is my thing (in case you hadn't noticed...ha ha).  Thank you for taking us on this wonderful autumn adventure with you.   :)

Hehe, I suspected as much about you!!  I like making rustic parks, but I do run out of ideas quickly on the spooky theme.  I went back and watched several of your videos for this one.