Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
SPOOKS- A hand-drawn 3D comic book
« on: October 21, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Rabbit and Cheezit in:
SPOOKS
A Hand-made 3D Comic Book

I can hear you ask: "What the heck is this?" And "Who (or what) the heck is Rabbit and Cheezit?"

First question first: This is a hand-drawn 3D book I made way back in 1983. That's 36 years ago! :o  And since the book has a (comically) spooky theme, I thought I would post it here in time for Halloween.

Second question:

This is Rabbit and Cheezit. They're stuffed animals, otherwise known as plushies. Rabbit (he's the rabbit :P) is a retail toy from (I think) the early 1950s. Cheezit (he's a rat) was made by me in the early '70s, out of a pair of old brown socks; sort of like a sock monkey. He's maybe 10 or 11 inches high. Rabbit is 7 or 8 inches high.

The photo above is a colorized version of an old black & white Polaroid snapshot I took from about the time this book was made. Rabbit and Cheezit are still around somewhere, but I couldn't find them to take a new photo. So this old snapshot will have to do.

As kids, we played pretty (i.e. very) rough with Rabbit. At some point, his head started to rip off; sort of like Nearly Headless Nick in the Harry Potter stories. His stuffing was spilling out. So we crudely sewed his head back on. In the photo above, you can just see the stitches where rabbit's plastic face meets his neck. In the Rabbit and Cheezit stories (yes, there are many of them. More about that in a moment), Rabbit is drawn with the stitches prominently displayed on his neck, sort of like Frankenstein's monster.

One of my brothers and I started making these Rabbit and Cheezit books in 1973. We called them "Rabbit in Wonderland" (original, huh.) There are 12 of them in all, well, 11 1/
2. I never finished the 12th book. We eventually lost interest in making them around 1990. I guess Rabbit and Cheezit are sort of like Winnie the Pooh and his pals; in that, they're stuffed animals that have a life of their own, with many adventures and tribulations.

I made the first Wonderland book and left the story dangling with a cliffhanger at the end. Then my brother made the next book, also with a cliffhanger. Then back to me, and so on. At the end of each book (we called them Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.), Rabbit and Cheezit were about to get ripped to shreds, eaten, zapped by a ray gun, or whatever. Rabbit has a carefree sort of personality. He's a never-look-before-you-leap kinda guy. He's also been known to use an occasional mild swear word. Cheezit, on the other hand, is almost constantly fretting about everything. He generally takes a subservient role, as seen in the photo above where he's using an Egyptian-type fan to keep Rabbit cool.

This book, Spooks, is a stand alone story that has nothing to do with the Wonderland books, although Rabbit mentions them in the story below, as you'll see. The Rabbit and Cheezit books are filled with pop-culture references, and 'borrow' heavily from movies, TV shows and advertisements that were popular at the time they were written. Some of those references are pretty obscure now (and even back then).

About the 3D: I made this book using the 2-color, red/cyan anaglyph method. That's where you need a pair of those red/blue 3D glasses to make it work (red filter goes in front of the left eye). If you don't have a pair of those glasses, you can use colored cellophane (dark red and dark aqua) to make your own, or just hold the cellophane up to your eyes.

But since a lot of you probably don't have the colored glasses and don't want to bother finding (or making) a pair, I'm also including (at no additional cost to you) side-by-side versions of the pages, where you cross your eyes to merge the two halves into a single 3D image. I wasn't even sure if I could make the side-by-side images from the red/cyan scans. After trying 2 or 3 different methods, I came up with one that works pretty well.

The 3D effect looks better in some pages than in others. I'm surprised it works at all, considering that I just eyeballed the paintings and guessed how far apart to make the red and cyan portions of each page.

So. Finally. Here is SPOOKS. You'll see the red/cyan version followed by the side-by-side version of each page. Those of you who can't make the cross-your-eyes method work and don't have a pair of colored 3D glasses can still enjoy the book by looking at the left (or right) half of each side-by-side page. :)

(Click to enlarge the side-by-side pages.)

Front cover:

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

Page 5:

Page 6:

Page 7:

Page 8: "They're here" is from the movie "Poltergeist", which came out a year before this book was made.

Page 9:

Page 10: This was a larger fold-out page; 4 times bigger than the others.

Page 11:

Page 12:

Page 13:

Page 14:

Page 15:

Page 16:

Page 17:

Page 18:

Page 19:

Page 20:

Page 21:

Back cover:

Re: SPOOKS- A hand-drawn 3D comic book
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 05:15 PM »
Ha - very cool. I love these old 3D effects. the opacity on the ghosts worked out great, especially like the large ghost by the gravestone. worked great!.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Wonderful job! Interesting back story JB!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Ha - very cool. I love these old 3D effects. the opacity on the ghosts worked out great, especially like the large ghost by the gravestone. worked great!.
Thanks wowman. :)  I figured you would comment on this 3D book. ;)  I wasn't sure anybody would even see this thread, tucked away in the nether regions of SGW.

Wonderful job! Interesting back story JB!
Thank you Plokoon. Yeah, I wasn't sure I would even try to explain how this book came about. But, by giving the background story, I'm guessing people will get more out of it.