Brookfield Zoo

• 16 replies
Brookfield Zoo
« on: November 06, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Well - I will be trying to build a recreate of a real zoo outside the Chicago area called Brookfield Zoo...but I will be using a future master plan version of the zoo that I will be working from as the inspiration for this zoo. I'm sure I may have to take some liberties in some areas, but will try to follow the master plan as close as I can. I really hope that this turns out to be a good thread and that you will enjoy it.

Great thing is the plan has a sky lift ride in it and what a great surprise the they included a gondola type ride in the game release - - make me so excited.

Anyway...here is a shot of what the plan looks like.

My other tread on Zoo Design goes into great detail on the evolution of this master plan if you want to see those details about this zoo.

Re: Brookfield Zoo
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Slow start to this zoo project, but I did start to lay out the plan in the map by painting some main areas and also started the pathing for the entry plaza and main garden promenade to the Roosevelt Fountain area.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 07:18 AM »
I'm already running into spacing/layout issues, so I may have to change the end design a bit. I started to place the transport rides (Green for the train, Gold for the gondola), and also started some path placement and the first animal enclosure (tigers circled in red). As you can see its way too large and I need to size it better before any details start to get added. I have to say, still not please with all the management requirements even in sandbox (like power, staff buildings, etc.) that are needed as this will make spacing/sizing ever more difficult.

Looks like I may run out of room to the far right of my map to fit in the aquatic animal section of the par. Seeing as this is not even in game yet (and we have no clue if it ever will be)...I'm not too concerned. I may just add a faux front to this area that you can see from the paths, but can't really support anything real.

This could go down on record as being the slowest build I have ever done.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:32 AM »
damn... still the same problem. cant see your pictures over here.
need to check this at home. it sounds nice, but its like watching TV without picture ^^
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Very ambitious for your first project in PZ. Hopefully you don't get overwhelmed or overly frustrated and give up, as I am very much looking forward to seeing this progress. I'm surprised to hear you are running out of room. Are the maps in this game smaller than those in Planet Coaster?
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Very ambitious for your first project in PZ. Hopefully you don't get overwhelmed or overly frustrated and give up, as I am very much looking forward to seeing this progress. I'm surprised to hear you are running out of room. Are the maps in this game smaller than those in Planet Coaster?
the map is large - - I just didn't plan the spacing out very well and now that I'm seeing what I have left to squeeze into that side of the map...it most likely will not fit. I can shift every over to the left, but that would mean starting over...not sure if I have that in me right now.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:55 PM »
So I decided to move/shift everything over to the left to give myself more room on the far right. I will provide updates once I make more progress on this. Game kept crashing when I was trying to delete the enclosure, so I'm not getting very far very fast.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37 AM »
So, I finally have everything shifted over and resized. I have to say...the option of saving the habitat as a blueprint and how it saves the land forms and everything is an awesome feature. Now that I have this shifted over I can get back to doing some productive building.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 02:28 PM »
So this build continues at a super slow pace. here is a reminder of the master pan that I'm working on. The tiger exhibit will have a building at the bottom (that I'm taking some liberties with and adding in a lower level partial under water viewing area. At the top will also do the main cat building where all the keeper and tiger dens will be located. I also added some liberties with the temple and the raised hill in the center of the exhibit as I don't believe the zoo in real life would have these high cost features.

Here is what its looking like from ground level. The green line is a way for the tigers to get to the higher level of the hill.

this is what will be the inside of the viewing building

Tiger explosion. I really hate the management part of this game. Why can't I just have a couple animals that will really never change status in sandbox?

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Congratulations, first photo I think I've seen on this forum of actual animals in their zoo.  (Apologies if anyone else has posted any.)  Point being, when I realized how long it would take before I could even see animals of my own, I quit playing.  I agree with you about sandbox features that disable all of the management aspects and give you healthy / non-aging animals, on demand.  They've done something similar for all the features in PC so I'm not sure what they're waiting for.

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 09:50 AM »
Wow iam at home and now i can see all the pics. very big project incoming. but i like it so far. it is still just bringing in all the things right? so no detail works till now? Looks good so far. Will definitly follow this project :)
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Here is another small update for this habitat. Playing this game is so different for me than PlanCo. I'm going way slower, but this allows me to share how my building progress works with you guys. I typically only share a few build shots and focus more on the completed projects. Here are a few more details added to the tiger hill. some rocks and plants added as well as a second and third way up the hill. One is another walkway, and I also added a climbing structure that can be used for getting up there.

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 06:32 AM »
Here are a few more updated shots of this habitat.

I added a few more rocks, vege, and scenery pieces to the center hill area.

I added rocks and scenery to the climbing structure to make it feel more like part of the environment instead of a jungle gym.

Straightened out the glass walls and built the viewing pathways that will eventually be inside the tiger exhibit building.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 03:53 AM »
It looks good as an exterior shot, anxious to see how that will look once it's indoors.

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Did some more rock/nature work along the water barrier and guest path.

and some water/rock detailing in front of the glass panels

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 02:08 PM »
This is coming along quite nicely.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 10:44 AM »
THX SG  - this is about the slowest build I have ever done.

I decided to add a few raised walkways along the viewing path for the tigers. Still need to detail them more.

Behind the raised pathways, you see a heavy wooded section. This is the beginnings of the picnic area on the master plan.

here is about what part of the picnic area from the master plan this represents.