Gondola
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: February 04, 2021, 09:22 AM

Brookfield Zoo

• 396 replies
Re: Brookfield Zoo
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2022, 02:16 PM »
When I build things in these simulation games, I also do not worry too much about what is realistic and what is not. They're just points of light on a screen, after all. I try to stick to realism when it's practical because that's the purpose of these games: to create a world of our own and make it seem real. But it's not a hard and fast rule with me.
Besides, I'm sure these are well-behaved cats who have no intention of climbing over the fences. Their habitat looks much more inviting than the paved-over walkways outside their enclosure. The cats probably feel sorry for the humans who have to walk on that hard grassless pavement. ;)
and....I turned off the 'animals can escape' features, so they will never leave. :)

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2022, 08:54 AM »
around towards where started this habitat there is another semi-hidden viewing area behind a crop of rocks.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2022, 11:35 AM »
I like the rock archway with its hanging vines. Very dramatic!

« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2022, 09:19 AM »
THX - again found that on the workshop and made it my own to fit in this area.

some additional random shots from within and around the habitat.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2022, 11:16 AM »
In the first pic, we get a nice view of the rare (and endangered) Globe Armadillo (Armadillius Globulus). His shell-like armor protects him from the roaming cats.
And in the last pic, we can see a Rocktopus (Octopuseus Stonicus) clinging to that upper crossbeam on the left-side viewing area. :D  Sorry for the irreverence, I'm feeling giddy today.

« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2022, 01:44 PM »
In the first pic, we get a nice view of the rare (and endangered) Globe Armadillo (Armadillius Globulus). His shell-like armor protects him from the roaming cats.
And in the last pic, we can see a Rocktopus (Octopuseus Stonicus) clinging to that upper crossbeam on the left-side viewing area. :D  Sorry for the irreverence, I'm feeling giddy today.
;D

« Reply #366 on: May 31, 2022, 01:58 PM »
Here are some snowy rocks they can climb on

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 31, 2022, 06:00 PM »
The 2nd pic has tons of wildlife: On the right, we see a lone Cubic Antelope (Antelopus Cubicus) grazing in the tall grass. Its square shape offers protection from predators, in that, it's difficult for them to grab hold of the flat sides of the antelope with their teeth and claws. Native to the savanna regions of Africa.

Hanging from that crossbeam is a super rare Skinless No-toed Sloth (Slotheus Sansadigitus Sansadermis). As you might imagine, these slow-moving animals are often mistaken for hunks of hanging meat. Easy prey for a variety of predators. Hence, their rarity.

Oh, and there's some sort of cat in there too. He just ate a bag of cherry popsicles and puked it all up. :D

I like the lighting in the last photo. Shadowy but bright; like a surreal painting.

« Reply #368 on: May 31, 2022, 07:59 PM »
JB - you're on a roll :D

« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2022, 06:42 AM »
There is really a north and south  section of this habitat...separated by the overhead/raised walkway. Here are a few shots showing how the animals traverse between the two areas. These is basically a underpass, that the guests can't really see as its hidden by rockwork, plantings, and mostly obscured views from the pathways.

« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2022, 06:23 AM »
More views from within the habitat

Overhead of the entire habitat

« Reply #371 on: June 15, 2022, 06:07 AM »
How about some snowy winter shots for the snow leopards?

« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Some more snowy pics

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 19, 2022, 01:01 PM »
It really is amazing how well the game handles snow. I used to be a hobbyist computer programmer (sort of still am), I'm picturing mathematic formulas that determine which surfaces receive snow, and how much, based on their angles.

« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2022, 04:21 PM »
it is pretty 'cool'. Its amazing to watch....how it starts light and continually fills up with more and more until maxes out. When you turn it off it also melts slowly as well.

and then the spring rains came....

« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2022, 07:49 AM »
Here is a future area that will be build called Pinniped Point. It will be off to the east of the Snow Leopard area.

Here is the traversable area for the snow leopards.

« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2022, 06:27 AM »
how about a couple of night shots from around the snow leopards?

« Reply #377 on: July 02, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Everything you've done here is wonderful! Love the snow shots!

Wonder if the dynamics of this game will get rolled into Planet Coaster 2, if that ever even gets created.

I have to admit, I have purchased the game and all the expansions, but I just can't get into it for some reason. I think I'm a bit turned off by all the micromanagement. Maybe I should try just building a zoo wth no animals!!! Are there settings to turn off animal behaviors or something?

« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2022, 04:14 PM »
yes - you can turn most everything off in sandbox

« Reply #379 on: July 10, 2022, 04:15 PM »
turn off or adjust

« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2022, 10:09 AM »
Couple last night shots of this area.

« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2022, 05:42 AM »
Here is a video recap of the area around this habitat

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2022, 01:19 PM »
It was nice to see the cats prowling around their habitat; eating, swimming, doing cat things. I liked seeing the different weather conditions as well. And that 'tilt-shift', speeded up segment looked neat.

« Reply #383 on: July 18, 2022, 02:05 PM »
THX

Branching off of the snow leopard area is a place I call the East Transportation Hub. Basically its an area that has a monorail station, bathrooms, a shady picnic area and some snacks. This is a transition area to the next large animal habitat.

Here is the rest area

Looking down from above

Along the pathway

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 18, 2022, 02:53 PM »
A pleasant little spot to 'recharge'. What are those things on top of the snack bar and restrooms? It looks like some sort of netting and maybe a food/water trough.

« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2022, 06:02 PM »
that building was a workshop import from  Sdanwolf. looks like he had some bleed over from the thatch roof and he covered it up with some logs and a reed pens of sorts...basically just to add some decor. There are also a few poles and electric lines.

« Reply #386 on: July 22, 2022, 06:24 AM »
The tram climbing up out of the station

the station exit

Entering the Station

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 23, 2022, 10:39 PM »
Wonderful details!
Though i wonder, seeing the strong fence around it, will there be animals in at some point?

« Reply #388 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52 AM »
nope - that fence is to keep guest out from getting squashed by the tram. I know its a bit much, but I likes the old zoo feel of it...almost like those old cages were transformed into the tram station.

Offline Forgath

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 24, 2022, 11:20 AM »
Ok, i understand your point of view.
And what i asked was not meant as criticism, i was being curious. :)