• 3 replies

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
Fabuland: The beginning
« on: November 06, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Written by Bert Naumann, artistic director at Trimo Parks

It was January 1982 when it happened.

Holiday was supposed to be the great new addition for the 15th anniversary, the greatest investment so far, to that still small park in Southern Germany. It was a hard winter, and the construction costs were high... too high. The former owners wanted to push the small (but flourishing and well visited) park into the league of top Eurovision theme parks. That was the next step for them.
Well... we can't deny, that this was indeed the actual result of their actions, but one by one...

When it was clear that money became short, and no bank would grant any credit anymore, the construction of Holiday came to a halt.

Holiday, the first coaster in the park

Freizeit-Park Senden, as it was still called back then, did open for the 1982 season in late March, but some rides had to remain closed, and large parts of the staff got fired over night.
But this - obviously - made things only worse. The heavy storm in early April didn't help either.

Storm 1 : 0 Log Flume

Waste was covering the paths, the damaged log flume turned into a massive landfill site, and some visitors turned their anger into vandalism.

Even Sendi, the funny rabbit, had its turn

On 17 April 1982, the old owners did the only thing they could do at the time:
Close the park.

Geschlossen - Closed

After we, Trimo Parks, Trimontis at the time, bought the park in the summer of 1982, it took us a lot of work to clean up and fix what we found. We needed a massive marketing agenda to rebuild the reputation and trust, a few millions to complete Holiday, to construct new rides, to give the park a few tweaks in its layout, and finally, a new name:

Fabuland

And three years later, in June 1985, the big day would finally dawn...
the day on which we would reopen:

Early morning, a few hours before the gates opened to the public again

...to be continued!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Fabuland: The beginning
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29 PM »
A great background story, Elch. I liked the toppled lampposts and the leaning tree (I hope Sendi got his ear back). ;)  Judging from that early morning shot, I think the park will do just fine with the new owners. Nice start.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 03:08 AM »
Always enjoy your presentation style, Elch.  The filter on your photos helps with the abandoned park feel (too bad Frontier never gave us weather options, like cloudy skies to help sell the mood sometimes.)  Seems like there's at least some sort of weather in Planet Zoo, so now we know they're capable.  :(

Love the name... I'm definitely expecting "fun and festive" from this place.  Anxious to see where it goes.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:27 AM »
Looks like a rehabilitation park! Digging the story so far!