Expo City 01.07.20

• 53 replies

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Almightyworld / Holliday Harbour: Krampus is coming!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Oh I love Krampus!  So festive!  Can't wait for this!

Re: Almightyworld / Holliday Harbour: Krampus is coming!
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2019, 05:39 PM »
The surgery probably won't be for a couple months or so (I really have no idea when). In the meantime, commenting on my friends' threads gives some normalcy to my upside-down life. :)  And yes, I'm sure one of the many pills I take everyday is to lower cholesterol.

Well if the docs are in no hurry to operate I'd say you have nothing to worry about.  (Other than the fact that anything I post can be described as normalcy)  :P

Krampus seems to be awfully dark material for the bright and cheerful Holliday Harbour.

But I can't wait to see it.  ;)

I think it's kind of a fun ride...  it's dark but a little campy, nothing like that gory haunted house I did a couple months back.  I mean, sure he takes naughty children and tortures them, but I mean come on... some kids really do deserve it.

-----------------

I think Krampus is done...  but I also think if I maybe let it simmer for a few more days I might think of some way to improve it, so I'm gonna hold off on the POV I thought I'd get done this week (I start back to work tomorrow.) 

Here's another teaser though... much like Santa, Krampus is a legend that has multiple variations and kind of lends itself to the creative needs of the author.  So in my version, he not only takes the naughty kids (and sometimes naughty adults,) but he takes their Christmas presents too.  And then he destroys them, because really he has no need for most of that crap.

Apparently he has no need for functional furniture and a bright and tasteful decor either, hmph.

But speaking of furnished interiors, here's a couple..

I think I mentioned that JP's Piano Bar was expanded to get a bigger inside (even cutting some space away from the now non-functional Fisherman's Inn.  [Sorry Derek.]  This park doesn't need interior lodging, and the Inn had to be truncated a bit to fit it's new location.

Question:  How would YOU make a peep-sized dartboard?   

Meanwhile, the French Chocolatier is also larger in this version of the park, and has a rough interior as well...

And here's teasers for 2 of the 3 coasters in this land...

Yep, I'm a sucker for a TMTK custom sign.  Enough to re-name a ride for it.   
Also, the flying reindeer are a clever workshop item that come as a set of similar outdoor lighting sculptures...  and of course I can never find these items when I go back to share the links.  Humbug.

EDIT: The Christmas decorations made with lights are by MsRedNebula:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1228191922

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 11:38 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Almightyworld: Holliday Harbour 12/11/19
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2019, 07:25 PM »
Awesome.  Wow. You are so good at this.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 09:17 PM »
I really like the arched/barrel ceiling in the first pic. And normally I don't frequent bars, but JP's Piano Bar looks like a place I could spend some time in; very relaxed and cozy.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2019, 02:59 PM »
WOW!
 Everything is looking just great. I love the interior of the gift shop. I'm honoured to have inspired a little part of that.
Krampus appeals to my dark, dark soul, so I really can't wait for that one.
And this last update, especially the 6th shot, which is perfectly composed and lit beautifully, just makes me grin like an idiot. Love it.

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Awesome.  Wow. You are so good at this.

I don't know about that, but I've definitely gotten better these past couple of weeks watching your process.  Thanks!

I really like the arched/barrel ceiling in the first pic. And normally I don't frequent bars, but JP's Piano Bar looks like a place I could spend some time in; very relaxed and cozy.

I think they sing a lot of Christmas Carols in there...  there's gotta be a better bar around here for us to hang out in...  :P

WOW!
 Everything is looking just great. I love the interior of the gift shop. I'm honoured to have inspired a little part of that.
Krampus appeals to my dark, dark soul, so I really can't wait for that one.
And this last update, especially the 6th shot, which is perfectly composed and lit beautifully, just makes me grin like an idiot. Love it.

Aww...  none of my interpretations of that building are coming close to the original.  I am however, not surprised of the Krampus appeal with you :P   Thanks!!

--------------

The good news is this:  Krampus: The Ride is complete and so is the video.   I'm comfortable saying that whatever is wrong with this ride, more time wouldn't have fixed it.  It runs pretty much the way I envisioned and exceeds my initial expectations in many places.  The filming only took 1 take (unheard of in my Christmas movies).  Best of all:  YouTube didn't block my music, hehe.

The bad news is this:  I always put 2 POV's in my Christmas movie, and one of the coasters in this park (the flying turns) has a strong Christmas theme and won't make for a good separate video later, so I included it here.  Sadly, the ride is only about 50-75% complete so what you see will not really be my vision for the final.  It works; the track hides a lot and the reason I like this ride is because all of the scenery is happening above the track, moreso in this park than would've happened elsewhere.  I just wanted more of that scenery... more lights, some custom supports, maybe a few other tricks.  But there's still plenty to see.

Also, with so much still incomplete throughout this land, the smaller size of this vs. the original park, and the fact that this is all in Hawaii (and you can kind of tell)...  this years video doesn't really have the charm, magic, or heart of the first two.   Not sure more time would've helped with that... Holliday Harbour works better in a snowy climate.  Maybe we'll go back there next year.

But for now... we have a complete trilogy.  Here's Holliday Harbour, Chapter 3:

And you've probably seen the first 2, but since this one probably didn't get you into the seasonal spirit, maybe these will.   :)

(I like playing these two together, because the 2nd one has kind of a BTTF II element to it, where you go back and revisit some original scenes but the scenes have changed).   I know, I'm a nerd.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2019: Krampus is here
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2019, 06:59 PM »
I just watched the Krampus and coaster video. Great job on Krampus...a dark and fun ride. The music you used for Krampus was perfect...Christmas-y and yet dark. Actually, your choice of music for both rides was great. My favorite part of Krampus was the peeps trapped in the cage. Very funny and clever. Excellent job, as always.

I'll watch the other two videos later, when I have more time.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2019, 07:06 PM »
I loved it.  Good and nightmarish.  Just in time to go to sleep.   :o

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Fantastic!  All 3 videos were great!  Don't know how you have the patients to do all that.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Krampus: The Ride-  So cute! A real 'feel good' experience. Made me all warm and tingly inside. (sarcasm) :P  Seriously, I loved it. You truly captured the Krampus mythology. For little kids riding this ride, if this doesn't scare 'em into behaving themselves, nothing will. (And then, of course, the Krampus will carry the little brats away.)  I always enjoy your Holliday Harbour videos. :)

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2019, 03:31 AM »
Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day
That's the island greeting that we send to you from the land where palm trees sway
Here we know that Christmas will be green and bright
The sun to shine by day and all the stars at night
Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii's way to say Merry Christmas to you

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2019, 06:58 AM »
I just watched the Krampus and coaster video. Great job on Krampus...a dark and fun ride. The music you used for Krampus was perfect...Christmas-y and yet dark. Actually, your choice of music for both rides was great. My favorite part of Krampus was the peeps trapped in the cage. Very funny and clever. Excellent job, as always.
I'll watch the other two videos later, when I have more time.

Thanks Shy.  I was using in-game music up until the day before filming and then just kind of got lucky.  The first song was syncing up well to certain parts of the ride but I wasn't even going to include the 2nd POV and had no idea what to use for it.  Somehow dubstep didn't really suck in this case... might have even helped save an unfinished ride.  :)

No worries about the other videos, I know you've seen them -- I was just re-posting them to show off the fact that I've done 3 of these now :P 

I loved it.  Good and nightmarish.  Just in time to go to sleep.   :o

haha, after that corpse-filled haunted house I did a couple months back this whole ride felt like good clean family fun to me :P    If you did have nightmares, I think it's because you've been naughty :D

Fantastic!  All 3 videos were great!  Don't know how you have the patients to do all that.

Thanks warcat.  I have less patience for slow builds than most people it seems.  But Krampus really did seem to build itself and it went very quick, otherwise it wouldn't have happened this year.   

Krampus: The Ride-  So cute! A real 'feel good' experience. Made me all warm and tingly inside. (sarcasm) :P  Seriously, I loved it. You truly captured the Krampus mythology. For little kids riding this ride, if this doesn't scare 'em into behaving themselves, nothing will. (And then, of course, the Krampus will carry the little brats away.)  I always enjoy your Holliday Harbour videos. :)

Yes, I thought it was all very cute.  Krampus is furry like a Christmas puppy.  One that will whip you, cage you, and possibly eat you.  (There are some variations in the mythology so I got to pick the parts that worked for my scenes and even add in stuff like the cave of bones and putting naughty grownups in the cages as well.) 

Mele Kalikimaka is the thing to say on a bright Hawaiian Christmas Day
That's the island greeting that we send to you from the land where palm trees sway
Here we know that Christmas will be green and bright
The sun to shine by day and all the stars at night
Mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii's way to say Merry Christmas to you

Now that I'm done filming (and people who have only seen the previous videos and have no idea about the Hawaii nonsense this year) I can go back and start incorporating the fact that this is actually a tropical island into this area.  Much like Disney's Blizzard Beach in Orlando.  Palm trees will grow regardless of how an area is themed.

Mele Kalikimaka to you as well, my friend.  (I need to put that on a sign somewhere...)

---------------------

This area won't be finished in time for Christmas, but I'm continuing to work on it since I know I won't want to after the holiday.  This is what I was thinking for some additional theming on the bobsled run, trying to incorporate the tracks better into the mountain...

I was not liking this area... the giant slide was here, otherwise just a bunch of messy pathwork leading up to the bobsled station.  I felt we needed some kind of plaza area for performances, maybe even a tv special like they do on ABC with C-list Christmas celebrities...   

The slide was moved closer to the ExpoCity edge of the park... now it needs a new tower (the mountain look doesn't work over here) and some implied pathing so peeps can get to the top.  The ferris wheel was added when I realized that none of the other lands in Almightyworld are really going to have much need for a ferris wheel.

I still need to figure out more theming for Bullethead's coaster, for now some more buildings were added in front of it, including citytrader's Dry Cleaning and Nemmie's Christmas tree farm (off to the side of this shot.)   

And the last coaster in this area is meant to be the biggest in the park...  an RMC hybrid that I tweaked from my first PC park Copper Creek.  Possibly named "Avalanche," theming for this will be LOTS of fake snow and flocked pine trees, and maybe a few other things as I think of them...

Here's an overhead of the entire Holliday Harbour land in Almightyworld.  The dead space between Holliday Harbour and Expo City will contain a dark ride connected to the Expo City side, and then I'll fill in what's left with backstage stuff.  Transition between these two areas (and all areas of the park) will be interesting.  I'm working on a "tree fade" where the snowy climate vegetation blends into island trees in a way that is hopefully transparent from path level.  May or may not work.

Lots of work to do, I can see myself spending the next year in this park until we get back to that negative FPS thing that happens in large parks.  Now that the video is done I'm really not too excited about any of it at the moment, and to be honest I've been having much more fun working in Fisherman's Rose Lake Park project.  I may be a little biased, but I feel like that is really going to be something. 

If I don't make it back to this project before the end of the year, I just want to thank you all again for watching the video and I wish you a VERY happy holiday season and LOTS of good things (including health, JB) for 2020.   Peace.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2019: update 12.18.19
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2019, 09:26 PM »
The garlands/bells/bows along the bobsled track are an excellent addition; just what it needed, IMO. :)  The new plaza, surrounded by the quaint buildings, looks very nice as well. But the question we're (me) all wondering about is: Why is there a pickup stuck in a snow bank? I'm guessing it's part of the Blizzard (or Avalanche) queue theming. Or maybe just because. This whole area looks nice and inviting.

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2019, 07:59 AM »
I´m in awe with picture where you can see both lands. It´s a wonderful mixture of architecture, colors and themes.
The atmosphere is very chritsmassy and it´s exciting and weird how well both themes fit together...it´s some kind of Christmas Nostalgia vibe and a hint of the future where Christmas is still celebrated.

The Victory Theatre looks beautiful and beside the Town Bell building it is my favorite building. The new christmas village is great over all and I love how leveled it is with the different pathes and stairs. It was a great idea to integrate the two rides into the terrain. The landscaping looking very natural as well.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 12:58 PM »
JB:  The pickup truck, I think, is just some random scenery to remind the Islanders what some of us on the mainland have to go through every season... ;)

ZG:  Both of those buildings were struggles that took more time than I wanted to give them.  But I'm particularly glad you like the bell tower as I think that one turned out kind of ok for the mess of separate build sets I used.

It's never too late for more lights and snow, even on the islands...  I think they say that. Maybe not.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Holliday Harbour 2019: update 12.23.19
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2019, 05:55 PM »
Excuse me while I try to find my jaw.  It fell to the floor and I heard it rattle off into a corner somewhere.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Very nice screenshots, JP. Especially the last one; truly Christmas card worthy.
Hey, Bullethead. While you're off looking for your jaw, see if you can find mine as well. And welcome back. :)

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2019, 03:28 AM »
One of the things I think you are a master at is your ability create multi-level scenes that add to the forced perspective and make these areas appear even larger that they really are.  Many of us (myself certainly included...) too easily get stuck in "flat-bench mode" because it's easier to build...we're playing checkers while you're playing 3-D Chess...

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 06:08 AM »
Thank you all, you are seriously too kind.   Literally too kind, because this project is turning to crap faster than you can say, well, crap.

There seem to be some tuning problems with the game lately that are making the likelihood of building 5 or more lands on one map sort of not really a good idea.  That, and Holliday Harbour really didn't come out well this year.  I liked how Krampus turned out, but not what it did to my map.  Dark rides generally don't have two gigantic sound stages in one ride.  And all that snow... in Hawaii.... geesh.

I also don't know which "land" to add to the park next...  the point should be for me to add things that weren't in the original parks the lands are based on, and I'm kind of low on those ideas right now. 

So meanwhile, I've just been going back to the Expo City part of the project because that's the one thing that seems to be working so far.  And maybe in the end it really will just be ExpoCity:Hawaii and we'll leave it at that.

This week I finished up work on the Holodome, the theater where a virtual Kylie Minogue will perform a 30 minute medley of her greatest hits.  Just not on youtube, because apparently there are some licensing issues with that.  Anyway, with the theater complete, HoloKylie has been rehearsing with her backup dancers and musicians.

The main thing in this land that I haven't built yet is [another] dark ride... probably themed to robots.  That's all I've got.  It could be awhile.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention:  Nearly all streetlights in Almightyworld are from Brandon's (BBordewyk's) custom light sets.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:22 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City 01.07.20
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2020, 04:11 PM »
OMG KYLIE!!!  WOW!  That stage looks so good, man!

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 05:31 PM »
The Holodome interior is spectacular!
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 09:26 PM »
Geez. that's an impressive theater.  So.  Many.  Seats :)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2020, 08:14 AM »
I have worked over 15 years as an light tecnician and I´ve seen many stages and domes and when I saw your pictures I felt back to that time.
I visusally saw memories of that time. Thank you for that. Instead of that, this is still mind-blowing. How you enlighted the whole city is brillliant and spread soo much atmosphere.

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 07:48 AM »
This is just too much.
So, so good. While the interior of Holodome looks great, I'd say the exterior is truly one of the finest pieces of future/sci-fi meets retro I've ever seen in this game. Once again, you raised the bar for the rest of us.