Almightyworld / Holliday Harbour: Krampus is coming!

• 28 replies
Almightyworld / Holliday Harbour: Krampus is coming!
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Somewhere on Oahu...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:13 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Oahu? That's different. :)   Looks like you already have the entire park built. :o  I love all the colorful neon and interesting shapes. Looks like a cross between Tokyo and the Emerald City of Oz.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:46 AM »
Very Blade Runner like! Very intrigued!

Expo City 2.0 11.20.19
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Oahu? That's different. :)   Looks like you already have the entire park built. :o  I love all the colorful neon and interesting shapes. Looks like a cross between Tokyo and the Emerald City of Oz.

The Hawaiian locale doesn't factor in too heavily...  I mostly went with it because this is the map with the city in the background and that was the vibe I felt (never been there myself :(  ).   I figured it would also give me a chance to play with some landscaping that I don't get to do very much in my midwest parks.  :)  As far as the construction status, NOTHING is remotely finished, just the basics to frame a screenshot.  Definitely a reason that the lights are off and you're only seeing it from one angle :)

Very Blade Runner like! Very intrigued!

The Blade Runner comparison makes me happy... the first version of this was kind of all over the place and I really want to reign that all in to focus on the cyberpunk aspect. 

------------

The concept here as mentioned above, is a much more concise and cohesive version of what I tried a couple years ago.  If you followed that thread, you'll probably be happy to know this version is NOT adult-only and you won't have to see photos of dispensaries, strip clubs, tattoo parlors, etc.  Having said that, the attractions so far still seem rather extreme but I'm blaming Frontier for the lack of kiddie rides.  :)

I'm not repeating any tracked attractions, so no Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Xtropolis coasters.  Maybe the rapids ride at some point but if so I'll try and mix it up a bit.   A few structures have been imported but I'm also trying to change them as I go too.

It's hard to know where to begin since everything is still WIP and anything I post now will change dramatically before I'm done.  But I guess we can zoom in on the city itself to give you an idea of where I'm going...

^^Another thing I'm trying not to do is plop down a bunch of random buildings that serve no purpose.  Everything so far has some level of functionality, and all the tall buildings are tall for a reason.  Because of this it's going to be hard to get much of a skyline out of the project, which is why I'm building a fake "forced perspective" skyline on top of some of the buildings, like what's happening on top of this food court.  From the path view they will hopefully look like they're in the background.

You may recognize the Electric Eye attraction, but this time I [randomly?] put another flat ride in the middle of it, and then I had to figure out how to get the peeps 6 stories up to it.  So the ShyCo building is basically just a giant staircase with some implied elevators.  I did leave that hole in the back facade just in case I decide to weave a coaster through there again eventually.

I kind of like how the Holodome Auditorium exterior is turning out (this would've worked well in my Vegas version.)   This building, along with several others, will have an interior.  Going with Kylie as the featured artist gives me a chance to check off the cyberpunk criteria of having giant billboards of pretty girls in the sky without going too adult with the theme.  I also like the idea of a "virtual residency" where you can see a major artist for free and the artist themself doesn't even have to be there.  Because Kylie is very busy, you know.  She doesn't have time for this nonsense.

[Workshop stuff:  BB's lights will be HEAVILY used in this park.  The Reactor dome is Muserato's large dome that I've used previously, and the pyramid on top of the building behind the Holodome is customized from Bullethead's tetra building.]

Oh, and before I forget...  there is a twist coming up in this project that I'm kind of excited about, hehe.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:44 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 01:14 PM »
Very impressive so far. Another masterpiece in the making. And I like the Shyco building.;)
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 03:03 PM »
I'm a sucker for neon and colorful lights, so this is right up my alley. And not a hay bale or pumpkin in sight! :D  I'm racking my brain to guess what the 'twist' is going to be. I could name a few but I don't want to ruin it (incase I guess correctly). ;)

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Always on the move
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 03:33 PM »
I gotta say, this is shaping up really nicely! The lighting is perfect and blends into the buildings seamlessly. I'm interested to see where this is headed. Keep up the good work!  :)

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Very impressive so far. Another masterpiece in the making. And I like the Shyco building.;)

"Shyco" just looks good on the side of a building.  Putting company names everywhere also helps with the cyberpunk theme, so thanks for your sponsorship!  :)

I'm a sucker for neon and colorful lights, so this is right up my alley. And not a hay bale or pumpkin in sight! :D  I'm racking my brain to guess what the 'twist' is going to be. I could name a few but I don't want to ruin it (incase I guess correctly). ;)

Guess away... It's neither shocking nor is it the ending to star wars or game of thrones so I don't think anybody will be crushed to learn it before my reveal.   :D

I gotta say, this is shaping up really nicely! The lighting is perfect and blends into the buildings seamlessly. I'm interested to see where this is headed. Keep up the good work!  :)

Thanks, I know it's still dark in a lot of places but hopefully I'll remember to fill that in as the park grows.

---------

I missed an opportunity in the first Expo City by not building a shell around the observation tower...  That park had my "News of the World" building about four stories tall at the base.  This park has the AlmightyCorp Tower.

I did a pretty good job using up the real estate in this one, there's a soda kiosk on the streetside corner, and the skycabs (peoplemover) tunnel around the perimeter of the shell.  The monorail also wraps around this side just a few feet further out.

The queue for the observation tower is a little different...  instead of standing in line, there's a large lounge that continues to fill up until it reaches capacity.  Since it's about 30 minutes between rides, there's a cocktail bar in the lounge and comfortable seating.  You can even take your drink with you on the ride.

I was initially going to call this the "News of the World" building again as an homage to the first park, hence the suspended globe.  But you know how AlmightyCorp likes to stick their name all over things.  :(

Speaking of names on things, this building also has a third floor pizzeria and pub.

It has an outdoor patio that has you sitting almost close enough to touch the monorail.  Inside you can watch sportsy stuff on big screens, or watch the observation saucer through a wall of glass.   There was no room left inside of the building itself to provide staircase access, so a catwalk of ramps outside will get you up there.

If your enjoyed your time in the AlmightyCorp tower, I'm sure this photo is available as a postcard over at the Expotique.

Re: Expo City 2.0 11.23.19
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Hey JP - really behind on stuff and reading threads, so sorry I didn't comment earlier on this. This is really great looking. So vibrant and busy looking like a real street might look like in this type of setting (even without people in it right now). The lighting work is perfect.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 05:45 AM »
I just love that lounge you built! Very cool and hip looking! Looks like Tron.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Hey JP - really behind on stuff and reading threads, so sorry I didn't comment earlier on this. This is really great looking. So vibrant and busy looking like a real street might look like in this type of setting (even without people in it right now). The lighting work is perfect.

Thanks and no worries.  You do remind me that I probably need to get some peeps into this place while the frame rate is still low.

I just love that lounge you built! Very cool and hip looking! Looks like Tron.

I think it'll look cooler once there's more going on outside the big windows to look at.  But yeah, I'd hang out there.  They have pizza.  :)

-------------------------

The first attraction in EC2 is the horribly named "Lagoon Launch."  This mimics the tower launch ride from the first park, only this time there's actually something inside the tower, or this case, the nuclear power plant.  There's a coaster inside ala Space Mountain, and this coaster shoots up the middle of it.  It's a quick 30 second ride that hardly justifies the time you'll be waiting in the queue. 

The story, if it needs one, is that this is an old transport shaft for moving uranium from the lagoon into the reactor.  Why is there uranium in a lagoon?  Yeah, I don't know either.  The majority of the ride takes place underwater, but it goes by quickly.  As in the previous park, there's still the issue of disguising the transition where the coaster exits and re-enters the water.  In theory it's all enclosed in a glass tube.

The rare daytime photos give a nice feel of the Hawaiian setting, which is hard to get in a park with very minimal landscaping.  And here's a quick POV video of the entire attraction, with a brief zoom-out at the end of this very early stage of the park.

Let me know if you can't see that, it works for me but YouTube told me it's blocked for copyright infringement.  That's very unfortunate in a park that is being heavily themed around Kylie Minogue.  :(

[Edit.  I had to replace Kylie with some canned nonsense music from Windows.  That was the first time YouTube ever slapped me down for my choice in music, hope it's not a trend because I really do like setting images to music.  :(  ]

Oh, and it looks like "the twist" in this project is going to happen, and probably within the next week.  Feel free to guess away, at this point I'm thinking it's blatantly obvious because I don't know how to subtle.  :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:19 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City 2.0 11.26.19 (with POV)
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 11:09 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful!!!

Offline corkscrewloop

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 01:27 PM »
This is absolutely mindblowing... :o The videoclip just blew me away completely! Cannot believe that this is possible in Planco... It looks so extremely good! Can't wait to see more... :)
My Workshop: Steam Workshop

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Wow, Wow and more Wow. I'm so excited for this one. Everything looks so crisp and clean. The video was excellent too.

It looks like we have some spooky parallels running through both of our projects at the moment, but I have to say, you are doing it on a far bigger, more epic scale than me. I really can't wait to see more.

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 09:20 AM »
That is absolutely beautiful!!!

Thank you sir :)

This is absolutely mindblowing... :o The videoclip just blew me away completely! Cannot believe that this is possible in Planco... It looks so extremely good! Can't wait to see more... :)

haha, I really needed to hear that because I stumbled across a couple of sci-fi vids for the game that made this look like utter crap.  Thank you!

Wow, Wow and more Wow. I'm so excited for this one. Everything looks so crisp and clean. The video was excellent too.

It looks like we have some spooky parallels running through both of our projects at the moment, but I have to say, you are doing it on a far bigger, more epic scale than me. I really can't wait to see more.

Does that mean you'll be finishing the rapids soon?  hehe
Glad you like it, the gift shop from the previous ExpoCity that you inspired will be making a (re)appearance in this update.  Can't wait to see what inspiration you give me next :)

------------------

As this park currently doesn't have any kind of main entrance, for the time being you'll only be able to enter the city via monorail.  I wanted to do a kind of futuristic grand central station thing, kind of sterile but with a little bit of elegance (and prominence from the exterior.)

For your own security, all guests will be scanned upon entry.

The first building as you exit the station is the Embassy, aka guest services.  Information, medical, restrooms, some employee areas.  Since most of what you see is just lobby, it's another minimalist interior.

But after that is your first shopping opportunity (shopportunity?).  The entrance for the Expotique was imported from the original park's Exporium and modified, but this time it has somewhat of an interior.  Credit to Nemmie for the entrance inspiration.

That TMTK globe thing over the foyer spins slowly, which is kind of cool.

Here's a daytime overview of all of that...

And here's one last moneyshot of the growing skyline before...

...The TWIST.  [insert evil laugh]   :P

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City 2.0 11.30.19
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 01:07 PM »
Some VERY imaginative work here. The exteriors look great, but I especially like the interiors. You may play them down, but I think they're fantastic.

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but you'll need to explain the "twist". :confused:

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 01:21 PM »
Some VERY imaginative work here. The exteriors look great, but I especially like the interiors. You may play them down, but I think they're fantastic.

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but you'll need to explain the "twist". :confused:

Thanks much.  You're not being dense at all, I'm just being needlessly obtuse about something that kind of changes everything I've shown so far, and probably not for the better.   I'll hopefully start posting new pictures this week, but in the meantime you made me realize that the last photo did not convey what I was trying to tease...

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 08:50 AM »
AS I already mentioned...great work here...and I love the way the transport people mover looks in game. have to figure out a way to make that ride fit in my park

Offline zeroG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 09:25 AM »
It´s not that easy to achieve such an immerse and big scaled Sci Fi city. You´ve done some fantastic work here. The whole scene is intimidating and massive...monumental in some way. I love the viral color settings and the lightning concept at night. I just prefer the daylight shots, because you can see more clearly how you have done this and that! The interior shot are brilliant as well, espacially the last one with the round iconic roof structure. Would love to have created such designs by myself for my MARVEL shops inside the mall.
Great work!

greetz
zeroG
FREE YOUR MIND AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW YOU

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 11:12 AM »
The snows on Mauna Loa?

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 02:09 AM »
o.O

WOW! Now this is awesome work! Holly cow!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 08:10 AM »
AS I already mentioned...great work here...and I love the way the transport people mover looks in game. have to figure out a way to make that ride fit in my park

Yep, when that ride first came out I knew it belonged in Expo City, but it would've been difficult to incorporate into the previous park.  For this project it was one of the first things to go in so that I could build around it.

It´s not that easy to achieve such an immerse and big scaled Sci Fi city. You´ve done some fantastic work here. The whole scene is intimidating and massive...monumental in some way. I love the viral color settings and the lightning concept at night. I just prefer the daylight shots, because you can see more clearly how you have done this and that! The interior shot are brilliant as well, espacially the last one with the round iconic roof structure. Would love to have created such designs by myself for my MARVEL shops inside the mall.
Great work!

greetz
zeroG

Well, in my update today you'll learn that it's not really all that big, and isn't going to get too much bigger.  As far your own work, you need to give yourself more credit than that, you do some of the most inspirational stuff I've seen.  But thank you!

The snows on Mauna Loa?

I had to Google on this one...  That's on the big island and I'm thinking this park is on Oahu near Honolulu.  But...  I totally had no idea it ever snowed there.  It makes what I'm about to do just slightly less ridiculous.  :D

o.O

WOW! Now this is awesome work! Holly cow!

Thanks Jay, great to see you around.  Thank you all!!

-----------------

So here's "the twist..."  Hardly earth shattering, and you may hate it.  But I didn't feel I had the creativity to do another entire park out of Expo City.  And really, doing it at all was inspired by Swiss' fantastic Tomorrowland download on the workshop.  I felt like if I narrowed it all down to a Disney-sized land maybe I'd be able to pay more attention to details... 

Meanwhile, this is the time of year when I usually dig out my Holliday Harbour park and play with that for a few weeks.  But again, I didn't really feel like spending another month in an already lagging park.

So I sort of combined the two... with the idea that I'd keep adding "lands" from some of my other parks, and in the end I'd have something along the lines of a Magic Kingdom thing.

Yep, this time Holliday Harbour will have coasters.  3 of them, as the whole thing is geared toward actually being in a theme park as opposed to an actual town somewhere.   And yes, I've already built over 300 unique buildings for the original project, so many of them have been imported. 

The ones I've carried over are being improved on, some need to be increased for scale, some need to be modified to fit their new surroundings,  and some just need some cosmetic improvements.  For example, the Chocolatier has been expanded and is getting an interior, as some of the others will too. 

But there will also be new buildings, I think I've added almost 10 so far.

Full immersion will be difficult, as the spires of Expo City will always be visible from every land in this park.

The department store didn't make the cut of the buildings that were imported, so Santa has to rough it out on the pier.   Along with his creepy elf.

Much more work to do in both lands.  I think I can finish most of Holliday Harbour this month, although a dark ride I wanted to build probably won't make the cut. 

As for the park itself, I have some ideas for other lands but not sure how many there will be.  Also, no idea on where the entrance and parking will be, if I'm able to even get that far and have enough land left over.   The park also needed a name, which, sadly, was kind of easy to come up with.  If not incredibly self-indulgent.

I'll go stand in the corner now so you can all point at me and laugh.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:13 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Re: Expo City 2.0 12.04.19
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Of course! The screenshot of the waterfall and the snow obviously pointed to the fact that you were combining Holliday Harbour with Expo City. (sarcasm intended). :P

All humor aside, I look forward to seeing where this goes and hope your pc can handle a large, multi-land park. ;)

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Ha, I don't think it was supposed to be guessable... not with that one tiny clue.  (If anyone had guessed it from that, I'd have been worried about them.)

With more time before the holidays I suppose I could've made a better game out of it.  To his credit, I think JB would've got there from that one picture, if he hadn't figured it out already.  (JB, Holliday Harbour has received your doctors note and you will not be required to work in your laundromat or whatever odd business I gave you this year.  :)  )

But mostly I think I only mentioned it in advance so that it wouldn't be as huge of a shock when I stopped building pretty skyscrapers for awhile.  :)   

As for my PC...  not sure.  I bought a new one this summer and all of my old parks are running much better, I actually could've added to HH this year instead of this new mess.  But yeah, knowing what you were up against with Wonder World, I am a little concerned with how far this can go.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:12 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Quote: "I think JB would've got there from that one picture, if he hadn't figured it out already."

Yeah right. I'm not that good. I had no clue that Holliday Harbour would a part of Expo City.

Quote: " (JB, Holliday Harbour has received your doctors note and you will not be required to work in your laundromat or whatever odd business I gave you this year.  :)  )"

Much appreciated.  I see that Elch has wandered into Holliday Harbour/Expo City (2nd screenshot, standing in front of the Chocolatier.) ;)  This is really looking great, JP. :)

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 12:11 PM »
Oh, that reindeer?  It's one of the better pieces of scenery on the workshop and I still haven't found a good use for him in this land yet.  :P

--------

The dark ride that I said would not make the cut?  It made the cut, and ended up taking up most of my time this week.  But I was able to squeeze in some other stuff too...

JB gets to keep his spice shop, now selling fish oil... for reasons.

"Caves of Krampus" will be the dark ride.  It came together so quickly that in all reality it should really suck, but somehow it just seems to work.  I'll spend another day or two doing my edits and then throw out a POV (hopefully) some time this week.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Almightyworld / Holliday Harbour: Krampus is coming!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 02:50 PM »
I like the view down the street in the first screenshot; with all the quaint shops. It almost looks like a miniature, forced perspective scene. And the snowdrifts scattered about are a nice touch; enough to convey the wintery setting, but still quite subtle.

I had to google Krampus. I vaguely remembered the name but couldn't recall where or when. I like how the terrain/walkway slopes down in front of the Caves of Krampus. And that's him (Krampus) on the rooftop in the last pic; ready to bedevil all the bad little kids.

I sell fish oil now? What am I gonna do with fish oil??!? Hmm, maybe it has something to do with those pesky rats that always seem to be scurrying around in back of the Spice Shop. I hear fish oil makes a good laxative. ;)

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 03:21 PM »
It lowers cholesterol.  I have to take it every day.  I'm sure your docs will give you something much more effective, (at a cost, of course.)  :P
I was going to have it say "JB's spice shop and angioplasty" but that just didn't seem like something a spice merchant would sell on the side.

Glad you're up and about, but honestly I'm ok waiting until after the surgery for all the wonderful comments.  :P    Stay well :D

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 11:17 PM »
The surgery probably won't be for a couple months or so (I really have no idea when). In the meantime, commenting on my friends' threads gives some normalcy to my upside-down life. :)  And yes, I'm sure one of the many pills I take everyday is to lower cholesterol.

Quote: "I was going to have it say "JB's spice shop and angioplasty""  haha. Just as well you didn't name it that; I think It's going to be a full-out open-heart quadruple bypass. Which, I'm sure, wouldn't fit on the shop sign anyway. ;)

Seeing Holliday Harbour again at this time of year makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside; or maybe it's the meds. :P