Rose Lake Park - a new journey with friends - c. 1899

• 80 replies

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - a new journey with friends - c. 1899
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 08:24 PM »
Without Bullethead's superior knowledge and help supervising and keeping us in line you'd think this park was powered completely by extra-large rubber bands, and the drinking water came from an open well located downhill from the outhouses...   :confused:

The less said about 1890s water systems, the better  :euro:  Besides, you have at least 1 other engineer and an IT guy on staff to do the heavy technical lifting.

The current part of the series is rather primitive and doesn't yet take advantage of his other superior skills - heck any idiot can place hundreds of trees around the park...which seems to be the job they gave me, come to think of it...    :mellow:

I dunno.  I'm more into primitive technology.  The bow and arrow is too new-fangled for me---don't trust it.  i'll stick with my atlatl, thanks all the same.  At least it works in the rain.  I can kinda handle steam, being as it's all fire-related and I've been rubbing sticks together since way back, but that EE-leck-tristy stuff is all black magic.  Once the lights turn on, I'll scuttle back to my cave.

So I'm just a bit player.  The team abounds with artistic talents all flexing their muscles, creating amazing things all over..  And your stuff makes the developers of "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter" want to hang themselves for not having you in their employ ;D
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 08:04 PM »
So there's more to Rose Lake than just the lake.  Lots to see and do.  Looking for work?  Try the lumber mill or Miss Edna's Boarding House.  They're always hiring.  They seem to be building some big things in the area.  But there's lots of fun leisure activities to enjoy as well.  Just this week the Rose Lake Giants beat the Plancovia Polecats in the big game.  Neat!   :D

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2019, 08:15 PM »
man - these are great and all look so real

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Wow you guys, this is going to be an amazing park when it's finished.  I will definitely be following along while you send in more photo's of your progress. 
This is such a wonderful vibe your creating.  Great Job!

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Really beautiful work! Like Bullethead, I feel a bit out of my league here.

I think they just wanted some technical advise from a guy who actually has first hand knowledge of 1899!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 07:39 PM »
The hotel gardens include the Stanley Conservatory - such a beautiful structure inside and out.

And up near the main trolley station, don't miss the lovely Rose Lake Carousel.

Rose Lake Park lies on the shores of Rose Lake, Lake Leemay, and Lake Raamaw.  The views are breathtaking.

The area wildlife include bears, wolves, deer, swans, ducks, catfish, eagles, crows, loons, beavers, and many others

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 09:02 PM »
Wow! That conservatory is beautiful. I especially like the interior shot (2nd image). I also like the retaining wall that half-surrounds the carousel. The 3 lakes form a clover shape; that must be intentional, right? And that's a very real looking beaver dam, although the water level appears to be the same height on both sides of the dam (?). And the last pic reminds me of the scene that one sees along the Rivers of America at Disneyland (Are the bears still there?)

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 03:06 AM »
If you look at the overhead screen showing the lakes above, Lake Leemay is on the left ("left" is "liimee' in Planco...of course early English speaking settlers screwed up the spelling when they adopted the natives names...),

Lake Raamaw is on the right ("right" is "raamaw" in Planco...), they form two leaves framing the central Rose Lake (the native word for 'Rose' is nearly unpronounceable by English speakers so they chickened out and went with "rose" instead...).  The stem is formed by the small river ("cres") at bottom, so together it naturally forms an image of a rose when seen from the elevations of the surrounding mountains.

There actually is a difference in water levels behind and in front of the beaver dam, but the screen certainly makes it look like there isn't!  :D

Yeah, the Conservatory is gorgeous...notice the ropes used to open upper windows for ventilation in the summer?  Very detailed and outstanding work.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 07:21 AM »
I think that 3rd shot from the top is my favorite, inside the conservatory at night.  Props to Wolf Tenor on that fantastic structure.

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07 PM »
very nice - Fisherman appears to have been really busy. Beautiful work here

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Oh that's the work of Wolf Tenor, JPAlmighT, Wagi, and Bullethead too! Plus some consultation from citytrader!  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 05:38 AM by Fisherman »

Offline Berlin87

• CEO of Park Eureka
    • View Profile
    • PARK EUREKA
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 07:41 AM »
There are so many clever details in this project, not to mention the savvy use of in-game pieces. Lovely to see you going in a completely different direction this time, Fish!

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Oh that's the work of Wolf Tenor, JPAlmighT, Wagi, and Bullethead too! Plus some consultation from citytrader!  :D

I think my only contribution in any pic so far is that I put the deers' feet on the ground :).  Most things I've built are inconspicuous and usually well-hidden so as not to scare folks away ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2020, 02:48 AM »
That conservatory is crazy! And I can't believe how much detail is going into the history of the land before even beginning the park! Inspiring!

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2020, 05:04 AM »
Our Story Begins...

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 03:13 AM »

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 04:28 AM »
"Never actually served in the Military..."   ;D

The resemblances to Fisherman and Wolf are uncanny... it's almost like they've been able to travel back in time...

Offline ImaginerJeremy

• Amusement Park Enthusiast and RCT Retiree
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 06:55 AM »
This is shaping up to be pretty incredible so far! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Phenomenal work Fisherman
Creator of Pearl Heights : the Thrill Capital of 1970

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Thanks!  But I can't take credit for the story and book pages.  They are the work of our most talented bear, Wagi!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 07:17 PM »
I really like the idea, and execution of, the old book, Wagi. Especially the 'color plate' showing the wreath of wild(?) roses. My OCD self can't help but notice that the pristine (red) cover of the book doesn't comport with the ratty, falling-apart interior. But who's keeping score. (Me, evidently. Did I mention I'm anal?) I also like your choice of fonts. I know from personal experience that re-creating book covers and pages is actually kind of fun.

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 03:44 AM »
Thanks JB!

You know, I blame Mabel Mabel Knott, resident historian for the Plancovania Historical Society.  The original history of Rose Park is, in fact, in terrible shape, having been dropped behind a book shelf and used as housing for a family of mice for years.  Mabel Mabel (yes, it's always said twice...) came across the lost volumes while dusting and decided to have a brand new binder created, paid for with left over funds from the Society's Annual Cake Walk,  So the original copy of the book is crammed inside, thus the glaring difference.  We would have shown the original cover, but after several decades as the floor covering in a mousey outhouse, it simply just wasn't in shape to be displayed.  Along with the old book of the early years of the Park's history, it's jam-packed with photos, newspaper clippings and memorabilia...

I'd also like to share the blame...WolfTenor was the one who originally came up with much of the backstory
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 03:46 AM by wabigbear »

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2020, 03:52 AM »

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 06:13 AM »
great idea for the story/characters. Love it

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Quote: "The original history of Rose Park is, in fact, in terrible shape, having been dropped behind a book shelf and used as housing for a family of mice for years...  We would have shown the original cover, but after several decades as the floor covering in a mousey outhouse, it simply just wasn't in shape to be displayed."

Ah. I knew there must be a logical (and hilarious) explanation.

I absolutely love the character names and bios (and images). "Dewey, Cheatum & Howe". LOLed at that one (really). Sounds familiar; like it's from a 3 Stooges short?

"Tete de Taureau", i.e. Bullhead. Haha, close enough I guess. I'm still trying to sort out how one can be an amateur Neanderthal.

I'm sure J.P.'s hat was all the rage back then (or not). And Mr. Bruin's ursine visage (and hands) made me laugh. (He doesn't look so 'big' to me, though.)

This was a great update, Wagi and friends; humorous and creative.

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2020, 05:08 AM »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Hahahahaha. :)  Dear Mother Bruin; always smiling, and so youthful looking. That's probably her high school yearbook photo. Madame Edna Mae... oh my... I bet she can bench press her own weight- 500 Lbs.- with the mattress on her back- while 'entertaining' one of the local male population.

The characters and bios started out innocently enough. But then... down the rabbit hole. Thanks for the grins and chuckles. :)

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 03:35 AM »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 07:48 PM »
Miss Edna Mae Jr. - A chip chunk off the old block. Nice to see another working woman break the glass ceiling (and floor... and bed... and pretty much everything else). "Frau Blucher" (Cue horses neighing in terror). I like how you're smoothly transitioning to amusement park rides, as opposed to the other kind.

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2020, 03:17 AM »
Yep, you certainly have Miss Edna Jr pegged...so to speak...   ;D  Glad you caught the Frau Blucher reference!

Online wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2020, 03:33 AM »