Rose Lake Park - a new journey with friends - c. 1899

• 94 replies
Re: Rose Lake Park - a new journey with friends - c. 1899
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2020, 07:12 AM »
We've tasked our historian Mabel Mabel Knot with locating additional photos to correlate with these wonderful book pages that Wagi has been sharing.  As the photos seem to be scattered about the archives in various unmarked shoe boxes, Mabel Mabel has asked for our patience during this time consuming process.

We've also asked Mabel Mabel (really with the middle name, Mabel?  Who does that?) to begin compiling all of her findings on the new Plancovania Historical Society website, located at roselakepark.blogspot.com.   She has promised to try and upload additional never-before-seen photos as she finds them.

Please visit often, subscribe for updates, and be sure to leave a comment thanking Mabel for her efforts.  It's really the only thing she's getting out of this.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:28 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2020, 10:01 PM »
Wow, an actual BlogSpot page. You guys are going the whole nine yards. Can't wait for that wide-angle lens. ;)

I like the flowery text in the "Flora & Fauna" chapter. Perfect for an historical society publication from this era. Nice illustration for the chapter head, too. Although, it's all 'fauna' and no 'flora'. :mad:up:  That's understandable; adding trees and flowers to the illustration would make it look too busy and hard to sort out. And most people want to see the animals rather than the plants. It's more fun to feed a bear than a Sycamore, or a Trillium. (The Trillium would be safer though.) I see I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2020, 03:21 AM »
Poor Mabel Mabel, the old gal can barely see anymore so she cranks up the scaling on everything just so she can see it, it's good that SGW limits the sizes of posted images or you'd need multiple monitors to see them.  She walks around with a magnifying glass in one hand, which can be a little intimidating when she's bent over at about crotch height talking to you.

Isn't the Blog Page nice?  JP did a smashing job on it!

Thanks for the comment about the text JB, I really appreciate it!  I tried copying some of the flowery language of that era, that's also why you find random capitalized words in the text of the book- it's not just because I'm a terrible typist, they actually did that back then!  (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...).

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2020, 03:24 AM »

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2020, 08:04 AM »
These photos you are finding to help tell the story are amazing

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Citytrader had them all in his own personal photo albums  :w00t:

Offline AemJaY

• Swiss Coaster builder
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2020, 06:31 AM »
saw the "advertising" on twitter (Thnx Fisherman?), got back to sgw (long time no see). read the whole thread! found it: A W E S O M E! Great work so far!
Streamer and Youtuber from switzerland!
Visit: !twitter! // !Youtube // !Twitch

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2020, 08:22 AM »

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2020, 09:43 AM »
So I am a bit confused...or I missed something. Is Wagi working in conjunction with you on this story...or did he just go rouge and is doing this on his own? Either way, great stuff here, both the park work and the story.

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Wow, an actual BlogSpot page. You guys are going the whole nine yards. Can't wait for that wide-angle lens. ;)

I like the flowery text in the "Flora & Fauna" chapter. Perfect for an historical society publication from this era. Nice illustration for the chapter head, too. Although, it's all 'fauna' and no 'flora'. :mad:up:  That's understandable; adding trees and flowers to the illustration would make it look too busy and hard to sort out. And most people want to see the animals rather than the plants. It's more fun to feed a bear than a Sycamore, or a Trillium. (The Trillium would be safer though.) I see I'm rambling. I'll stop now.
LOL - I never realized that blog link was actually real until just now. You guys are going all out on this.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2020, 05:55 PM »
saw the "advertising" on twitter (Thnx Fisherman?), got back to sgw (long time no see). read the whole thread! found it: A W E S O M E! Great work so far!

Thanks, man!!  Glad you're enjoying it!

So I am a bit confused...or I missed something. Is Wagi working in conjunction with you on this story...or did he just go rouge and is doing this on his own? Either way, great stuff here, both the park work and the story.

Ha ha.  So far there are five of us building on the park and working on the project:  Wagi, WolfTenor, JPAlmighT, Bullethead, and me...plus citytrader is consulting with his first hand knowledge and personal memories  ;) .  And BeyondDrewTV plans to build when the park progresses to later decades.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 05:57 PM by Fisherman »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2020, 10:43 AM »

I always go rouge!  I love the freedom and the breeze on my...wait, you said "rouge"...Oh, I thought you meant "commando"... :-[

Never mind...  :blush:

Yes, they got tired of me looking in the window while they worked, so after a couple weeks they said if I wiped the drool off the window they'd let me come in and watch!     :w00t:

I just can't touch anything.    :mellow:

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I always go rouge!  I love the freedom and the breeze on my...wait, you said "rouge"...Oh, I thought you meant "commando"... :-[

Nice

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12 PM »
I just can't touch anything.    :mellow:

This, of course, is blatantly untrue.  Wagi is probably the most productive member of the team in all aspects of the project, from building stuff, to having great ideas for features, to finding perfect period images, to writing snarky backstory blurbs ;).

I'm the one not allowed to touch anything.  The team has allowed me to make a few very minor contributions that are mostly hidden from view unless you really go looking for them.  Neanderthals don't do "pretty".

@JB:  As to how I'm an "amateur" Neanderthal, it's because I have quite a few of their physical characteristics and apparently also much mental similarity, as in utter lack of imagination.  And I enjoy messing with primitive tech, like making arrowheads and creating fire by friction.  But I'd only be mistaken for an actual Neanderthal if some future archaeologist digs up only a few of my bones in isolation, which are diagnostically Neanderthal in shape.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Today's entry is a lengthy one...

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:22 AM by wabigbear »

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33 PM »
you just keep it coming....

LOL

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 10:07 PM »
Lengthy, yes; but fascinating and humorous. Love the line about the Clergyman Discount. I like how you weave sexually suggestive phrases into the text, like: Teddy became "a favorite" at the Bath House (working till dawn); Berta and Doerthe (hmmm...) "whipping clients"; "weenie roast"; La Grande Aubergine Ballroom (the Big Eggplant), etc. And of course, the images are fantastic. I'm guessing that you did some research in selecting the first and last names of the various characters. They fit the era perfectly.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2020, 01:47 PM »
I plead innocent to subliminal smutty passages!  Anything else is clearly in the eyes of the reader!   :whistling:

Most of the names just came from citytrader's address book from back then...   :yes:

« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2020, 02:59 PM »
Haha, I agree...  this is a family park, we even have a church.  And we are all mature adults.  Our minds are sort of kind of mature as well.

Real life has been very crazy for a few weeks (not just for me, seems the whole group of us have either been sick or dealing with job issues or both).  We should probably be into the third decade by now but so far I think we're still trying to finish up the 1890's.   It was also my goal to post in-game pictures for all of Wagi's wonderful history pages, but I'm failing miserably.  Here's a few that I think tie into where he's left off with his postings...

An early photo of The Grand Cocotier, shortly after it opened I believe...

The boathouse that Wagi was referring to above...

And apparently Mabel Mabel has been trying to learn how to restore and colorize some of these... not sure why she even bothered with this shot of Widow Johnson hanging up the sheets...

While the hotel was built to be facing the lake, the back of the building also needed a large entrance to accomodate guest arrival by carriage. 

Unfortunately, this also meant that the kitchens, stables, and other "backstage" type stuff was in plain sight of arriving guests.

The aforementioned bath house...

(^^not sure about that advertisement on the wall near the men's entrance, possibly another nickname the gentlemen gave to Teddy?)

I don't think Wagi has mentioned the hotel ballroom  yet (apologies if he has, that's a LOT to read! :P ) but I figured I'd better show pictures now before I forget or get tied up again.  For these I intentionally instructed Mabel Mabel to colorize them, it was a lovely room.

No blog updates this week, I believe this colorization process has been taking up most of Mabel's time.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:03 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Quote: "we even have a church". Yeah, where the clergy get a nice discount at Mother Edna's Boarding House.

The ballroom is everything one would expect an 1890s hotel ballroom to be- very elegant JP (Prof. Marvel). I especially like the nighttime screenshot photograph showing the stage with the grand piano.

"Gay Boy". Obviously a reference to the old phrase 'gay blade', a fellow who enjoys life and dresses fashionably; maybe even a swordsman. Only someone with a smutty mind would think otherwise... Not me... Nope. My mind is clean as a whistle... or a freshly lathered back at the Bath House (thanks Teddy). Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attend a weenie roast near the Huge Eggplant (La Grande Aubergine Ballroom).

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2020, 10:55 AM »
great buildings and interiors

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2020, 03:24 AM »

« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:18 AM by wabigbear »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Thank goodness there was no sexually implicit language or images in this update. No siree Bob. Wouldn't want anyone to get the vapors. Young Will Tanner looks kinda hot... maybe one of his friends should open a window to let some cool air in... I'm sure it would help if he removed his shirt as well. Sprained toes are almost as painful as møøse bites; I should know, a møøse once bit my sister. No, really!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 04:05 PM by JB »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2020, 08:25 PM »
Thank goodness there was no sexually implicit language or images in this update. No siree Bob. Wouldn't want anyone to get the vapors. Young Will Tanner looks kinda hot... maybe one of his friends should open a window to let some cool air in... I'm sure it would help if he removed his shirt as well. Sprained toes are almost as painful as møøse bites; I should know, a møøse once bit my sister. No, really!

Yeah, the Apollo statue is totally about ice cream :)  Here at Rose Lake Park, we try to cater to all tastes.  Otherwise, we lose out on potential customers.  Any innuendos are totally in the eye of the beholder :D  But we encourage all customers to look for them and put whatever meaning suits them on whatever they see.

-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2020, 02:56 AM »
"Frequent sponge baths which he administered...frequently" is purely for medicinal purposes!  Actually young Will ran hot and cold...thus why Nursing Assistant Alfred was there to help him remove articles of clothing when he grew hot (which was most of the time, the poor feverish lad...), and was there to climb into the bed they shared (and Alfred paid for...angel of mercy that he is...) to help raise Will temperature whenever he grew chilled.  All administered under a doctor's medical supervision I assure you.  The Grand Cocotier House Detectives would make sure of that by stopping by the room to oversee young Will's appropriate care themselves from time to time!  All on the up and up I assure you! :sleeping:

Moose bites???   :o

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2020, 04:11 AM »
I think I've had moose knuckles before... but never moose bites  :-[

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2020, 04:07 PM »
"Møøse bites" is just an off-the-wall Monty Python & The Holy Grail reference. (Maybe you already knew that?) You mentioned the painfulness of young Will's sprained toe, and you included a moose in the "Flora & Fauna" illustration, soooo naturally I thought of møøse bites. (It has to be the "o" with the slash through it or the humor just doesn't work.)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Ha ha ha.  Had to go look it up.  It comes from this, the opening credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

"Mønti Pythøn ik den Hølie Gräilen Røtern nik Akten Di Wik Alsø wik Alsø alsø wik Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes The wøndërful telephøne system And mäni interesting furry animals The characters and incidents portrayed and the names used are fictitious and any similarity to the names, characters, or history of any person is entirely accidental and unintentional. Signed RICHARD M. NIXON Including the majestik møøse A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"... We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti... We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked. Møøse trained by YUTTE HERMSGERVØRDENBRØTBØRDA Special Møøse Effects OLAF PROT Møøse Costumes SIGGI CHURCHILLMøøse Choreographed by HORST PROT III Miss Taylor's Møøses by HENGST DOUGLAS-HOME Møøse trained to mix concrete and sign complicated insurance forms by JURGEN WIGG Møøses' noses wiped by BJØRN IRKESTØM-SLATER WALKER Large møøse on the left hand side of the screen in the third scene from the end, given a thorough grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level Geography by BO BENN Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER Antler-care by LIV THATCHER The directors of the firm hired to continue the credits after the other people had been sacked, wish it to be known that they have just been sacked. The credits have been completed in an entirely different style at great expense and at the last minute. Executive Producer JOHN GOLDSTONE & "RALPH" The Wonder Llama Producer MARK FORSTATER Assisted By EARL J. LLAMA MIKE Q. LLAMA III SY LLAMA MERLE Z. LLAMA IX Directed By 40 SPECIALLY TRAINED ECUADORIAN MOUNTAIN LLAMAS 6 VENEZUELAN RED LLAMAS 142 MEXICAN WHOOPING LLAMAS 14 NORTH CHILEAN GUANACOS (CLOSELY RELATED TO THE LLAMA) REG LLAMA OF BRIXTON 76000 BATTERY LLAMAS FROM "LLAMA-FRESH" FARMS LTD. NEAR PARAGUAY and TERRY GILLIAM & TERRY JONES"

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2020, 10:29 AM »
There was a page missing form the section covering the hotel staff above. It fell out and Mabel Mabel found it under the card catalogue while dusting...  I've edited the post above so that the pages remain in order.  Thank goodness Mabel Mabel is still able to bend over to get the dust-mop under things! She's awfully limber for an 86 year old...
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:02 AM by wabigbear »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2020, 07:38 PM »
There was a page missing form the section covering the hotel staff above. It fell out and Mabel Mabel found it under the card catalogue while dusting...  I've edited the post about so that the pages remain in order.  Thank goodness Mabel Mabel is still able to bend over to get the dust-mop under things! She's awfully limber for an 86 year old...

LOL, I can't decide if my sister's pic is true to life (which it is) or a symbol of your exasperation with me.  Or both :D

Ha ha ha.  Had to go look it up.  It comes from this, the opening credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

Seriously?  You'd never seen the funniest movie every made??!?!?!   :n00b:
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page