Rose Lake Park - map 2 (1900-1909) and Episode 2 Video now on YouTube!!

• 210 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - a new journey with friends - c. 1899
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2020, 07:52 PM »
"Despite not sharing a common language..." (haha, I love that line) I bet Stubbs and Hoolihan were able to communicate using a plethora of rude hand gestures which they undoubtedly picked up in their home towns and on their many travels to strange and exotic places.

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06 PM »
"Despite not sharing a common language..." (haha, I love that line) I bet Stubbs and Hoolihan were able to communicate using a plethora of rude hand gestures which they undoubtedly picked up in their home towns and on their many travels to strange and exotic places.

They've been together repeatedly reefing topsails around the Horn more times than they can count.  A raised eyebrow or a grunt in a particular pitch speaks many words in the custom mutual language they've developed over the years.
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50 AM »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2020, 08:47 PM »
Again, hilarious. Thanks Wagi. You made me eject precious bodily fluids (from my nose) with that last line. And where the heck did you find that squirrel-hat photo. 8|  Is it for real? It doesn't look photoshopped. Why on Earth would anybody where a hat with a stuffed squirrel attached to it. Especially a proper young socialite. I'm not even going to speculate about the deep-sea diving suit photo. I'm guessing that's "Mr." Chas. White on the left, in the photo.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2020, 03:37 AM »
Yep, the squirrel hat was for real.  You'd be amazed at some of the things these supposedly staid Victorians did, and then actually took photos of!  Some if it makes little to no sense either.  For instance this image below...HUH???  That's an actual Victorian era photo what was hand colored.  Why?  Who knows?  The photo itself is just strange, but sometimes the captions one can come up with can make them funny. 

This one I would caption as "Marjorie's birthday wish came true, but not quite in the way she had imagined..."

I like to make people think a little once in awhile before the punchline becomes obvious...  :whistling:

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Thought you guys might like this video and maybe even use some of the older photos

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Cool video - love it!  Thanks for posting it, it's got a lot of possible ideas in it.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2020, 09:02 PM »
About Marjorie's birthday wish, I'm afraid my sick and twisted mind could come up with only one thing... Marjorie: "I wish I could be 'effed' by a big cock." Am I right? Am I right? :w00t:

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2020, 03:47 AM »
Well, I'm shocked!  I truly am!   :-[

I was merely inferring that she wanted a large rooster for her birthday...what she did with it was entirely none of my business!   :closedeyes:

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2020, 09:03 AM »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Is that first one Santa Claus or Satan Claws?  :devil:

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Oh my. I don't know which of those photos is scarier. The writing continues to be spot-on.

« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Again, hilarious. Thanks Wagi. You made me eject precious bodily fluids (from my nose) with that last line.

Likewise, as I'm reading much of this for the first time, I would read the text first and THEN look for the accompanying photo, and the cigar lighting picture made me spit soda onto my keyboard.

There's so many jokes buried in here that I'm sure I've missed several.  However, the punchline in my head was only slightly delayed at the sight of the giant, um, rooster.   :whistling:

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2020, 09:11 PM »
We were so caught up with Marjorie's birthday wishes that we forgot to wish happy birthday to Dr. Jason Fishington (Fisherman). At 50, the old guy is getting pretty creaky now. ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2020, 03:27 AM »
Eh? What's that, sonny?  Speak up.  My hearin' ain't what it used to be.

Thanks, JB.   :D

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2020, 04:33 AM »
50 is the new 49 they say! 

Citytrader still has a couple digits on you (heck, on EVERYBODY for that matter...), but now you can look forward to monthly junk mail from AARP!.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2020, 04:38 AM »

(And for those hoping...and praying...that this book has an end, you're in luck!  The end of Volume One of the History of Rose Lake Park is almost here! 

But never fear, we have lot's of other crap we can post to waste time while we get the first benches (yes...that's plural...) ready for you to explore.  In fact there's some upcoming crap that even we were impressed by!  So consider yourselves forewarned!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:11 AM by wabigbear »

« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2020, 05:58 AM »
LOL - the best part about this is I have no clue where this might even go next.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2020, 07:44 AM »
we don't either.   :P

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2020, 04:49 PM »
Miss Edna Mae Jr. as Little Egypt, such a natural. Looking at her photo, I think I would steer clear of Miss Sophia Winters... at least 2 states away. I'm guessing Miss Jones performed a series of exotic bird calls.

Quote: "The end of Volume One of the History of Rose Lake Park is almost here!"... Oh gawd, does that mean there is more than one volume?! My eyes! My eyes!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2020, 03:06 AM »
Volume One covered the years up to 1890...it's now 2020...you do the math... :scared:

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2020, 03:48 AM »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2020, 05:16 PM »
Other than the Tete De Taureau strangeness (the mayor should have been more careful around that tub of cement... next to the dock), this chapter is lacking the unusual characters found in the previous chapters. And with the new carousel, we're transitioning to the amusement park phase of the Rose Lake saga. I'll miss the 'characters', but excited to see the developing park.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2020, 03:41 AM »

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:49 AM by wabigbear »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2020, 03:56 AM »
Never fear, the 'characters' will still be around! 

Yes, the carousel story had to be a little dry (other than the Mayor of course...), but although Volume One of the History of Rose Lake Park has come to an end, there's LOT'S more to come.

So consider yourselves warned!

« Reply #115 on: February 29, 2020, 05:49 AM »
I've fallen considerably behind in my blog updates about this wonderful project, complicated by the fact that Wagi is just unstoppable.  I know this because I tried to stop him once and he pushed me aside and cranked out another 10 chapters.

But the blog has been updated with all chapters up through the arrival of the trolley, including new photos scanned by our tireless Historian Mabel Mabel, who we understand has been quite sick.

Here's a photo from Mabels' collection of new scans, of Edna Mae Sr. and Jr. on their way out of church.

You can read all about them and see the new updates at roselakepark.blogspot.com.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:06 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 29, 2020, 06:04 AM »
"A ton of Fun, out in the Sun..."

Note the double doors on that small church...they were needed.

« Reply #117 on: February 29, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Hehe... the blog post references the additional Sunday service that was added to accomodate them.  Just them.

« Reply #118 on: February 29, 2020, 08:30 AM »
you guys are never ending laughs. Nice job on this...can't wait to see more. I especially like Daisy.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Quote: "Never fear, the 'characters' will still be around!... So consider yourselves warned!"

Oh, I do. I do. And yet, I'll still be coming back for more; like rubbernecking at a ghastly car wreck... Hmm, I think I might have some nasty, dirty little carpets that could use a good swatting. Thanks for another laugh-out-loud episode.

I got caught up reading the blob posts. How on Earth did you construct those likenesses of the Edna Maes? (hilarious!) Are they in-game mannequins/animatronics encased in voluminous pieced-together dresses?