Rose Lake Park - 1920-1929 - Episode 4, part 2 Video, park available!!

• 309 replies

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Hmmm...Were Fishington and Wolf friends, best friends, or "super-best friends?"   Discuss.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
"Hmmm..." indeed. With all the flowers and ribbons, the card looks more weddingy than Christmasy. But that's probably just my lurid mind working overtime again. :glare:

I think they were probably best friends, but definitely "super best friends" with other people.

----

Not sure if the other guys mentioned it, but last week we had the #1 download on the workshop, currently sitting at 837 subscribers.   This blows my tiny mind.  Even more impressive about that number?   JB doesn't even have the game!

Thanks JB, wowman, and everyone here who has supported us and encouraged all of this madness.  We promise to make you regret all of it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:26 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Thanks JB, wowman, and everyone here who has supported us and encouraged all of this madness.  We promise to make you regret all of it.

Yes, thanks to everybody!  I'm stunned by how well this has been received and am quite glad I didn't quite manage to screw it up ;)
-Bullethead
NIHIL INIQVIVS QVAM ÆQVITATEM NIMIS INTENDERE
My Steam Workshop page

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Big News was just released...(well, it was just released 118 years ago, but still...it was 'BIG'...

I'm getting a serious Kate Mulgrew/Janeway vibe from Nurse Harris.  She's a hottie.

-----

The Gazette sent a reporter back to the park once Grasshopper opened to get a few shots. 

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I dunno, 16 MPH sounds a little much for me. I might have to pass on the Grasshopper. Although, those 'padded rooms' sound mighty comfy, it might be worth getting a little nervous exhaustion. I like the fancy-schmancy Jackalope in the Peepsburgh Gazette masthead. And the text is once again filled with suggestiveness. I know, I know; I can hear you now: "JB, get your mind out of the gutter." I think my mind prefers to be in the gutter; it feels at home there.

The Grasshopper looks beautiful; with all the white(?) painted wood, lattice, gingerbread, and flowers everywhere. It rivals the Grand Cocotier for elegance.

Quote from JPAlmighT: "I'm getting a serious Kate Mulgrew/Janeway vibe from Nurse Harris.  She's a hottie."

It's that 'bun of steel' hairdo. Makes even red-blooded men swoon at the sight of it.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
The excitement mounts! 

Of course that original May 24th, 1902 opening date now corresponds to some day in March here in 2020 due to shifts in the space-time continuum that have taken place over the years.  So the release of the 1900 - 1910 park bench will happen not in May, but soon, but I can't say the precise day off the top of my head as that involves MATH,  (and people to stop fiddling with it and adding more stuff...), so you'll just have to wait and see...

But it should be soon...ish.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
This looks like the type of flyer one would see slapped to a telegraph pole, or maybe even one of them new-fangled 'teleophone' poles. I see the Grand Cocotier has installed the latest in modern marvels. Who would have guessed that we could, one day, talk to someone all the way over in the next town! Wonders will never cease.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Wow!  And just in a blink of the eye a year has passed since the announcement of the upcoming addition of coasters to Rose Lake Park and the Grand Opening occurred (well, it occurred but we still haven't turned the lights on over at the Workshop yet.  I think Fisherman slept in, I KNOW Wolf Tenor did...as usual).  Actors...our dawn is their crack of noon...   ::) 

Anyways, here's newspaper coverage of the original Grand Opening back in 1902...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Hmmm. Edna Mae's 'special' seems rather bold (and blue) for such an august publication as the Peepsburgh Gazette. 46 miles per hour?! That's insane! Nobody will ride that deathtrap.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Okay, guys...you're in for a special quarantine double-whammy surprise!  Both map 2 and Episode 2 are BOTH now available!!

Rose Lake Park, 1900-1909 (map 2) park file available here on the workshop:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2033221513

Created by: Fisherman, Wagi, JPAlmighT, Wolf Tenor, Bullethead, BeyondDrewTV, and citytrader.

This park map represents the second chapter of the journey chronicling the life of Rose Lake Park from its humble beginnings as a picnic grove at the end of a trolley line near Peepsburgh in the heart of Plancovania, to the world renown destination amusement park it is today.

The park requires several billboard images and several custom sound effects tracks for the map to run correctly. Please download them from our Google Drive. Place the contents of the file "RLP 1900-1909 User Media.zip" into your User Media folder and place the contents of "RLP 1900-1909 User Music.zip" into your User Music folder BEFORE opening Planet Coaster to ensure that everything works correctly (you should hear sounds all around the park, especially around the lakes and the hotel):

RLP map 2 User Media: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f0Du3KAY5o3TmNvDX-OtPw5Q80XvcS26

RLP map 2 User Music: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lc1ZuCsspwOHL64zDzgRL81sqXx7thAT

We have and will be using many blueprints and TMTK items throughout this project and we wish to acknowledge the wonderful content designers for their work. We will be adding links to their work to collections which we will continually update here:

Rose Lake Park Blueprints: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1955781929

Rose Lake Park TMTK items: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1955773510

We strongly suggest that you allow the game to download the required toolkit items for you upon loading the park.

Also, the park has a hilarious, and often sordid, history. So, if you are a park history buff and have a junior high sense of humor, follow along at the Plancovania Historical Society's Blog page for the park here: https://roselakepark.blogspot.com/

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Yay!  Go team!

Behind the scenes commentary:  Funny thing is, this 2nd map was really the 1st, so has been substantially complete for some time.  In those early days, we hadn't sorted out the story and the dates.  Eventually, we decided on MOST of those things, then decided we'd already built a decade into the future from when we wanted the story to start, so we deleted a bunch of stuff, smoothed out the resulting scars, and called that Map 1.  Then we deleted everything else and finished putting trees all over the place to make a retrospective blank slate.  But when we started on what is now Map 2, the only trees to speak of were in the vicinity of the buildings  :P .  And since we went back in time to make Map 1, we've also been working on Map 3.  That's still got a ways to go, however.

With that out of the way, I should encourage folks who download this park to go inside the Rose Theater and Nickelodeon to actually watch the shows inside.  The former has an actual recording of Wolf singing the Major General, the other has a sho'nuff silent movie of historical note to watch.  And, of course, take in all the magnificent sights produced by REALLY talented artists.  Just ignore the Jackalope itself (but not its station).  As JB said, nobody would ride that thing :)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Ha ha!  Now they know our secrets.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Another splendid episode, guys. :)  I really like the interiors of the Nickelodeon, with its reddish glow, and the Rose Theater, with its actors onstage. The lighting is perfect in both of these structures. And all that unadorned wood in the Roller Skating Palace makes it look very realistic; I can almost taste the mood it sets. I enjoyed the roller coaster rides, and the ballpark fits right in with this era. But the bestest, laugh-out-loud part of the video were the upside-down wolves supplying the ears for the mounted Jackalope.

I should mention that I also like how each episode begins, with the small screen growing larger till it fills the whole frame. That's a nice touch. They did that at the beginning of Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines as well, (plus a couple of other movies).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:42 PM by JB »

Having contributed nothing to date except for a few personal details and reminisces, (I am rather old), I am in awe of what a wonderful job you guys are doing!

The period detail is spot on with the all the architecture, the layout of the park itself, the reckless disregard for personal safety, even the dresses all tell the story as accurately as possible. Can't wait to see you create flapper dresses in the 1920's!!!

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Wonderful work by an incredibly talented group!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:59 AM by citytrader »

wow - this is almost too much too soon for me, but I will make the time later to go through all this.

Offline Tillietwos

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
You guys are doing such an awesome job with this project you have taken on.  Your research has payed off big time with such accurate details.  The baseball game, all the buildings, the rides and landscaping fit so well together.

Looking forward to the next map.

The 2nd map release snuck up on me and I realized I had a lot of work to do over at the Historical Society making sure we documented this amazing decade properly.   Fortunately (and by complete coincidence I assure you) I stumbled upon a sketchbook by one of the founders, Prof. JP Marvel.  I've scanned a collection of his talented works and posted them over at our blog so they could be shared with the masses.

roselakepark.blogspot.com

great pics

Offline Bullethead

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Prof. Marvel was quite the artist ;)
-Bullethead
My Steam Workshop page

Did he rent the balloon to get those views?  ;D

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I was about to say the exact same thing as BH, including the winky face, but he beat me to it. :mad:up:  I want to hear more about Little Edna's Big Pie Hole... at least, I think I do... not sure. :-\

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Just when you thought it was safe...the biographies are back!   :o

Former Plancovania Historical Society archivist Mabel Mabel Knott wasn't all "no work, all play..." no matter what Jerry, her former hospital orderly and current Knott 'roommate" might say... 

No, upon finding that the mice had consumed most of the second volume of the Rose Lake Park history, she had the foresight to gather other archives and place them in 55 gallon Hefty garbage bags to protect them.  She even took it upon herself to crochet little ID tags for each bag so their contents could be noted!

Of course the first bag we opened also had a plate of moldy lemon bars she had forgotten were on top of the stack of files as she bagged them up.  But even the mice wouldn't come near those things, so it worked out well.

Next on our hit list is none other than one Andrew Reginald Thorton, who has a bit of a sad twist to his tail...er, tale...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Hmm. "Alabama O'Keefe". Any relation to Georgia? Perhaps they were next-door neighbors.

I'm (sorta) willing to accept Washington Bruin's unusual appearance as a glandular problem; but Geoffrey? C'mon. (Did you photoshop that pic with Geoffrey clinging to his mom? Hilarious!)

Knowing Tete de Tareau's modus operandi, as soon as I read "take care of them for me" I laughed out loud, imagining the outcome. And then I saw the giraffe-upholstered chair and I laughed even harder. (Some of your best stuff, Wagi.)

I don't think I've ever played 'Hide the Sausage'; sounds interesting. And who is Daisy Lou? Have we seen her before? The charming child looks like she might have cannibalistic tendencies.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
(Did you photoshop that pic with Geoffrey clinging to his mom? Hilarious!)

Nope, not at all!  Geoffrey's photo with his mother is available on Google, so you know it's factual...

And who is Daisy Lou? Have we seen her before? The charming child looks like she might have cannibalistic tendencies.

Daisy Lou is Edna Mae Sr's niece, twice removed.  But like that mole on Edna Mae's left cheek, she always seemed to come back...

Daisy Lou's mother would often walk the little girl down to the trolley station, blindfold her and ask her to point to a stop on the map, then pay the fare for her and tell her to count to 50 before removing the blindfold.  Meanwhile her mother headed off in a different direction.  Unfortunately Daisy Lou could only count to 20, so often ended up on the first trolley that stopped.  She was an adventuresome child...

She was again visiting her auntie, twice removed, having gotten off at the Rose Lake station by chance.  Since Edna Mae Sr is a busy woman with a lot of time to just lie around, she sent Daisy Lou off to play at the Grand Cocotier Hotel, with a note pinned to her jacket offering the little waif to anyone who needed additional child labor.  Instead Daisy Lou won several hands of poker and the winnings allowed her to dine - repeatedly - at the restaurant. 

You can see the sheer anticipation on her cherubic face as the 5th helping of "Ham ala Mitzili", that day's luncheon special was served... 

She truly was her auntie's niece, twice removed.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
A great event is to take place!  The famous Professor Baldwin is visiting Rose Lake Park and will not only rise to record-breaking heights in his balloon, but he will then plummet to Earth with a parachute (and hopefully remember to open it on the way down...)

There's even a popular song written about the daring Baldwin!

As part of the festivities Rose Lake Park's Prof. Jason Fishington and Major-General Stanley Wolf recreate their historic aerial exploration and discovery of Rose Lake (they actually discovered an unnamed lake with seasonal fishing cabins and cheap real estate prices, but that's besides the point - they DID name the lake...)  In the photo Prof. Fishington steers the balloon while the Major General clings to the sides of the basket, desperately looking for an open area where he can be sick without coating the spectators below.   He failed to do so...

At the photography studio on the Midway one could pose in a stationary basket and appear to be flying high above the clouds just like Fishington and Wolf.  For only $1.00 your handsome 8X10 black and white portrait will be available for pickup in two weeks, framing extra.  What a splendid souvenir!  Show all your friends, family and co-workers what a daredevil you really are!

If even the thought of posing in a stationary balloon basket on Terra Firma makes your nose bleed, then be sure to view the Amazing Miss Nellie DeVaughn, "The Flexible Marvel", assisted by La Petite fairy, who does something or other while all eyes are focused on how many toes Miss Nellie can cram into her mouth with her foot over her shoulder...maybe she's there to keep the kids quiet or to pick pockets, I'm not really sure, but I heard Maj-Gen Wolf asking is he could borrow her Fairy costume later...his was in the wash.

nice write up. Not sure if you saw this movie on Amazon Prime. 'The Aeronauts' is about hot air balloon height records, but has this story line in it as well. Overall not a great movie, but it is interesting. Check it out.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
The sheet music and the wording thereon looks and sounds true to the era. If La Petite Fairy was any more 'petite' she would sink a battleship. Hmm. I foresee a tragedy in the near future; any time performing monkeys are involved, there's always a tragedy.