Rose Lake Park - 1910-1919 - Episode 3, part 2 Video & park file now available!!

• 281 replies

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Not sure if you saw this movie on Amazon Prime. 'The Aeronauts' ...

No, I haven't seen it, I'll have to check it out...thanks for the suggestion!

The sheet music and the wording thereon looks and sounds true to the era.

I can claim not credit, that's an actual photo of real sheet music of a song written about the real Professor Baldwin...he did travel around the country performing jumps, so only his stop at Rose Lake Park is imagined!

If La Petite Fairy was any more 'petite' she would sink a battleship.

Edwardian folks had a slightly different view of what the word 'petite' meant.  Stand her up next to Little Edna in her Little Egypt costume and the moniker is a perfect fit!

any time performing monkeys are involved, there's always a tragedy.

Sadly that's true.  Maj-Gen Wolf is still repairing his master bedroom suite after a session of 'performing monkeys' got completely out of control...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "Stand her up next to Little Edna in her Little Egypt costume and the moniker is a perfect fit!"

Yes but... stand the aforementioned battleship up next to Little Edna and it, too, would look petite.

Speaking of The Edna's, I think I promised JB a picture of Little Edna's Big Pie Hole. 

The in-game story is this:  After a childhood spent frollicking among the "boobieberries" and coming home with purple remnants squashed about her face, Mama Edna taught her daughter how to make them into pies, which was a great success winning Edna Jr. friendships with all the boys at the schoolhouse.

Then at some point in her teens (and after much begging that she be allowed to go into business, Mama gifted her baby with the nicest, albeit somewhat remote, little shack she could afford to start her very first business endeavor.)  The little shack is what became Little Edna's Pie Hole (we're not sure when the word "big" was added, and some documents even refer to the word "gaping" being in the title somewhere.

That's the cleanest version of the story that I felt comfortable typing on the internet where children can read it.

Based on her age, this building should have been included with map 2.  But the real life story is this:  Wagi posted a picture to our group of Professor Marvel looking rather, um, healthy... almost but not quite Edna-esque in stature... so I came up with the pie-hole story.  Given Little Edna's age in the story this would've put this structure firmly in the middle of the map 2 timeline, but by this time we were already gearing up for the park release so those of you who've downloaded the 1909 park file will just have to pretend it was there...

I ended my original telling of this story with the following:  "To her dying day, Mother Edna never had the heart to tell her precious baby that those are not actually called boobieberries."

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
What brought this all up was an archive photo found of the Rose Lake Volunteer Fire Department, all dressed up for a group photo at the Plancovania Firemen's Ball, held that year at the Grand Cocotier Hotel's La Grande Aubergine Ballroom...

Prof JP Marvel wanted to join the RLVFD but was miffed when they rejected his suggestion of adding straw flowers and ostrich plumes to the helmets as being too flammable.  He said he had always wanted a fireman...or maybe it was he always wanted to be a fireman...you know, getting down and dirty playing with hoses, fighting fire with fire...er...water...or something...

Captain BJ Hornblower attended the Ball from the Perseverance Hose Company in Peepsburgh.  He offered to show Pro. Marvel his collection of horns he had blown.  Having his own noteworthy collection himself, we have no word on whether the professor accepted the invitation...

But we do know that Prof. Marvel settled for having his photograph taken wearing a real fireman's outfit, borrowed from a real fireman, who waited just out of frame in his Union suit.

Marvel's signature hand on the hip was just to butch it up with a little attitude...

It was this last photo that brought forth the observation that the hip in question could safely hold a four course lunch and brought on the elaborate excuse that it was all because of Little Edna's Big Pie Hole...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:16 PM by wabigbear »

as I have said before...pictures are awesome...and so is the story behind them

Clearly I missed some details... funny since this was only a couple weeks ago.   Apparently the only thing I could truly remember was that Wagi made me fat :P

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "...I think I promised JB a picture of Little Edna's Big Pie Hole."

Please don't. No really, DON'T!... Ah crap, too late... Nice to see that Little Edna is looking as robust as ever, standing on the porch of her 'restaurant'. It looks awfully secluded; bet you had to call ahead and make a reservation.

Quote: "...getting down and dirty playing with hoses", "...He offered to show Pro. Marvel his collection of horns he had blown."

Nope. Not gonna go there. Not even with a 10 foot pole.

Quote: "...Marvel's signature hand on the hip was just to butch it up with a little attitude..."

Alas, it didn't work.

Quote: "...Marvel's signature hand on the hip was just to butch it up with a little attitude..."

Alas, it didn't work.

HEY!    Ok, valid.

Although really, I liked it better when we were making fun of Wolf.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:06 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
We'll leave Professor Marvel for a moment (but we'll certainly be coming back around to him...), instead we're going to focus on one of the quieter character in out little story...one Francis Lloyd Tradesman, who gave the Rose Lake School system it's start...and likely it's high point in educating youngsters...

Trademan's tale is not yet over, I'm sure there is more to be heard later...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Poor Mother Merkel, "...overtaken by ravenous Jackalopes." I can believe it; Jackalopes have "nasty, big, pointy teeth!" (Another Monty Python reference. You can see the clip here:

Quote: "Jeffrey Noble brought his brother for 'Show and Tell' one Friday."

Wow. The humor is suddenly getting a little on the dark side. :ohmy:  Despite the fact that I laughed out loud, I felt a little guilty about it. These types of photos were quite common in the late 1800s/early 1900s. A deceased child (or anyone else) in a coffin may have been the only photo taken of them; photography being still quite new then. This is the first one I've seen with brothers holding hands. Sweet, but very creepy. I can't help but wonder how it affected 'Jeffrey Noble's personality thereafter.

The "Good Sisters of Little Virtue".  Haha. I love that name. I also love how you worked in the names of all the movie killers/slashers; and how you included Cujo, name unchanged, amongst them. The photo of the smoking nuns is too funny.

EDIT- Sorry about embedding the video clip. I only meant to include the URL but I couldn't figure out how. :-\
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:58 PM by JB »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile

So glad you guys can make me laugh in these times.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
The Rose Lake Odd Fellows, a.k.a. the Rose Lake Really Odd Fellows, put on quite a shindig. The llama races sound interesting. I'm assuming the llamas are genuine Paraguayan llamas from Llama-Fresh Farms? (Monty Python again.)

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
From the Peepsburgh Gazette archives...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Nope. Not gonna touch this one with a 10 foot pole, either. ::)

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Since everyone is trapped in the same boat and we have a somewhat captive audience here, I guess it's as good a time as any to roll out another long, long, LONG historical document about one of the park founders...

This time we're going to look at one Julius Pierpont Marvel, and if there's anything I'm sure of it's that JP Marvel likes to be looked at...

And as a special treat, Mabel Mabel - former amateur historian at the Plancovania Historical Society, located a copy of Marvel's 1902 Catalog...

Just think how many poor birds gave their lives...and feathers...for those creations...

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Quote: "The photo shows Rachael posing with the hat he designed for her."

Wow. Young (very young) JP Marvel was truly an infant prodigy.

"Damimitateur". Had to look that one up. You and yer fancy-schmancy words.

Quote: "...Marvel Menswear Hatwear Collection selections..."

She sells seashells by the seashore.

Hat #356: Not sure if those are large grapes, crabapples, tangerines, or...?  I hope they were made of some lightweight material like paper mache, otherwise the thing would've weighed 20 pounds or more.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
Quote: "The photo shows Rachael posing with the hat he designed for her."

Wow. Young (very young) JP Marvel was truly an infant prodigy.

Yep. popped out and when the midwife slapped his bottom he slapped her back and criticized her choice in head covering...

"Damimitateur". Had to look that one up. You and yer fancy-schmancy words.

I'm fluent in fancy-schmancy...should hear my smartassery dialect!

Quote: "...Marvel Menswear Hatwear Collection selections..."

She sells seashells by the seashore.

That's my recollection...   ;)

Hat #356: Not sure if those are large grapes, crabapples, tangerines, or...?  I hope they were made of some lightweight material like paper mache, otherwise the thing would've weighed 20 pounds or more.

My initial guess was 'dried road apples'...Marvel was a master at using found objects in his creations you know...

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile

hmmm...her neck does seem rather compressed...

nice story Wabigbear. How you can create a whole story line from a simple photo. Nice work. Love the Photoshop reference as well.

Professor Marvel has been my favorite character in this story so far.  So handsome, so talented, so-- hey, are you going to finish that pie?

It also makes me happy to see that we're still getting some work out of Mabel Mabel in her retirement.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile

It also makes me happy to see that we're still getting some work out of Mabel Mabel in her retirement.

Well, it turns out that poor Jerry, the ex-orderly, managed to crawl out the bathroom window for a much needed  break - Mabel Mabel is 'insatiable' according to him.  Which is information we really didn't need to hear...  8|

Luckily she just thought the lemon bars she took out of the freezer had turned bad which is why he was in the bathroom so long.  Meanwhile she finally answered the email we sent her two weeks ago and told us which folder she had misfiled the catalog pages in... 

She has a mind like a steel trap.  Won't mention what the rest of her body is like...

So once again a busy week at work had me slacking on the blog, BUT...  I had a productive morning and was able to get it entirely caught up with all of Wagi's updates here so far.   https://roselakepark.blogspot.com

(not sure if I mentioned that I removed all the hoops over there for leaving comments so that anybody should be able to now.. nudge nudge)

A couple of times I had to deviate slightly from the stories here (especially with that damn Pie Hole, but I still kept it mostly PG)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:38 AM by JPAlmighT »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I believe you meant to say: "1910-1919". Also, I commented on your Blob (Blog). ;)

Indeed, I went back and fixed that.  I've always been horrible with numbers.  I also blame the pie.

And yes, thank you for doubling the entirety of our comment collection in one day.  (I think you doubled it... again, bad with numbers.)

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
We now come to a real turning point for Rose Lake Park (and not just the end of the catwalk for one of Prof. Marvel's infamous headwear collection selection fashion shows...).  Will this be the end of Rose Lake Park?   (Insert appropriate musical "dim-dum-DUUUUUM!" here)  Inquiring minds will want to know!

Both of them even!

Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter of "Rose Lake - As The Stomach Turns"...

Oh no!!!!

Offline Beyondyou

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Ohh the humanity! Hopefully the park can rebuild bigger and better than ever after this devastation!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
We found some old photos of the fire, had them restored and colorized...

Nothing like sitting with you sweetie watching the flames with a jug of wine...or two.  I swear these two were there the day before and haven't moved...

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
If I didn't know better I'd think these photos were all taken by some pyromaniac drawn to the flames like a moth to a lantern!  They certainly were suspiciously hanging around a closed park in the middle of the night with a camera just as the park happened to catch fire...how often does THAT ever happen???  A dozen or so times a year, max, huh?

I mean, you can almost imagine their maniacal laughter as smoke and flames roared up everywhere...well, except right where they were standing of course... 

Thankfully I'm not a suspicious person