Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939: 1935 Flood & 1939 video part 1 released!

• 327 replies

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - 1920-1929 - Episode 4, part 1 Video
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2020, 10:46 PM »
Thanks, guys! Zacharyshyguy, we definitely plan on a wild mouse eventually  ;)

Offline zacharyshyguy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - 1920-1929 - Episode 4, part 1 Video
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2020, 12:31 PM »
Thanks, guys! Zacharyshyguy, we definitely plan on a wild mouse eventually  ;)

You can use My recreation of Schiff Wild Mouse (early version): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1840589359 or you rather building Schiff Wild Mouse coaster yourself?
Zachary Lunsford

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Rose Lake Park map 4, the 1920s, is now available!  And Episode 4, part 2 is now up on YouTube!

This map created by: Fisherman, Wolf Tenor, and Bullethead.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2185917373

This park map represents the fourth chapter of the journey chronicling the life of Rose Lake Park from its humble beginnings as a picnic grove at the end of a trolley line near Peepsburgh in the heart of Plancovania, to the world renown destination amusement park it is today.  The 1920s were the roller coaster renaissance in the US and Rose Lake had built FOUR new coasters by 1929:  Frederick Church's Dragon, with its Dragon Caves mill ride built beneath; the terrain-hugging Bearcat with its gorgeous art deco station; Flying Turns; and the breathtaking John Miller Comet that flies through the ravine behind the boardwalk.  Check out the park to see the coasters plus a fun house, a mirror maze, a new penny arcade, the brand new Rose Savoy Theater, and more!

The park requires MANY billboard images and several custom sound effects tracks for the map to run correctly. Please download them from our Google Drive. Place the contents of the file "RLP 1920-1929 User Media.zip" into your User Media folder and place the contents of "RLP 1920-1929 User Music.zip" into your User Music folder BEFORE opening Planet Coaster to ensure that everything works correctly (you should hear sounds all around the park, especially around the lakes and the hotel).

RLP map 4 User Media: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eDaP3tQUGzdyxzB1j8xIChmUyzJc_obN/view?usp=sharing

RLP map 4 User Music: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uia9Ok-IqXOqwuI508jC4yT6BIDSTBbm/view?usp=sharing

We have and will be using many blueprints and TMTK items throughout this project and we wish to acknowledge the wonderful content designers for their work. We will be adding links to their work to collections which we will continually update here:

Rose Lake Park Blueprints: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1955781929

Rose Lake Park TMTK items: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1955773510

We strongly suggest that you allow the game to download the required toolkit items for you upon loading the park.

Also, the park has a hilarious, and often sordid, history. So, if you are a park history buff and have a junior high sense of humor, follow along at the Plancovania Historical Society's Blog page for the park here: https://roselakepark.blogspot.com/

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I can't wait to check this out! Kudos and what a great job!

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Bearcat is an excellent example of a wooden coaster, beautiful, and an exciting layout. I like the art deco font on the big yellow "Bearcat" logo. I hope it doesn't burn down. :whistling:  It looks like a keeper.

Flying Turns looks great as well. I like the rustic, unpainted look of it. Bullethead really stepped up to the plate with the coasters in this era of the park. (Sounds like it's not long for this world, though; unless you were just joking about it burning down in 20 years. :-\)

Wow. The Tumblebug ride (Lily Pond) looks spot on. Even the coloration. I've only seen it themed as turtles, but lily pads seems like a natural.

Fascinating story about Wolf Tenor's grandmother, Adeline. I like that you have both mustard and ketchup on the Big Weiner. I sometimes do that myself (on hot dogs, I mean). Is it weiner? Or wiener?

I LOVE the Mirror Maze. The red, white, and blue exterior with the art deco letters looks amazing. And the inside... wow, truly beautiful with all the gilded ironwork and columns.

Okay, I spoke too soon. Comet is my new favorite coaster! I love it. Go ahead and let Bearcat burn down (sorry Bullethead), but don't touch Comet! :P

Haha, I really laughed out loud at the clown corral. Genius! The floating balloons are the ideal finishing touch.

Just like Coney Island, the 1920s are Rose Lake Park's peak era. I suppose that, just like Coney Island in the '20s,  the park will burn down again; what with all that wood and electrical wiring everywhere... hope not. :'(

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Thanks, JB!  There are lots of keepers this time around for sure! I expect plenty of the 1929 attractions to remain for many, many years.

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
What a gorgeous update. That shot of the coaster across the water did make me drool a little 😉

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Always happy to make you drool, Nemmie.   :drool:   :blush:

I finally found some time to watch the last 2 videos and continue to really love this project. The detail and the story are amazing. Love that you have a story that seems so real and is just made up your minds. I also love all the Easter egg details you guys are throwing in. Keep it. I never want this to end.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Aww thanks!!

Offline cure13

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - 1920-1929 - Episode 4, part 2 Video, park available!!
« Reply #310 on: November 23, 2020, 01:54 AM »
looks classy, keep up the good work.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Lake Park - 1920-1929 - Episode 4, part 2 Video, park available!!
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2020, 07:31 AM »
Thanks, cure13!  We're busy working on the 1930s map!   ;)

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939 - first teasers and stuff!
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2021, 06:47 AM »
Been a minute, huh?  We're still working on things.  Below are the first shots (here) from the 1939 map in the works.  Lots more to come over the coming weeks!

The all-new Sky Rockets ride has replaced the old Flying Gondolas on the Boardwalk:

RedLine682 has made us a wonderful custom Eyerly Octopus fake ride...perfect for the era:

And something special was discovered beneath the park during the 30s!  Check it out!

And our newest member of the team, MattDownes has made us some amazing stuff (including the funicular and glass-bottom cave boats above).  Here are some gorgeous speedboats he made for tours around the lake (wait till you see his Art Deco Boathouse!):

Matt's new trolley cars:

And here are a few beauty shots from around the park...just because I discoverd ReShade and have been experimenting with it:

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:09 AM by Fisherman »

Re: Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939 - first teasers and stuff!
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2021, 07:15 AM »
nice - more please. love the caverns storyline

Offline MattDownes

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2021, 07:22 AM »
Really excited to share this map, so many cool things happening!  :D

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Wow, amazing images! Sky Rockets is a great update for the gondolas. The red trim really sets it off and adds excitement. I like the 2-storey queue/load platform, and the rockets look perfect. Still makes me kinda sad that it isn't a working ride; ditto, the Lily Pond ride. But hey, at least we get to experience them in still images.

The lighting, camera angles, and composition of all these screenshots is superb. :up:

The Octopus (by RedLine682) looks great as well. I rode one very much like that circa 1960, with the single cars at the ends of the arms.

Ooh, caverns! (That rainy 'main street' image looks fantastic.) And the postcard art looks spot-on. Is there going to be a walk-thru tour of the caves?

Those are still Bullethead's bridges, right? (iirc) They've never looked better. Really nice additions by MattDownes.

This is definitely a decade of Rose Lake Park I would like to see in real-life. I would say that this is the golden-age for the park. (As well as other real-life parks.) Technology has advanced enough to make the rides and everything else truly memorable, unique, and exciting.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Thanks, guys!  And yup!  A tour of the caverns is planned... And the peeps love it!  ;)

« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2021, 06:24 PM »
 :love: Looks great!

Can't wait to have a look around!

Offline Baneif

• Roads ? Where we're going we don't need... roads !
    • View Profile
    • Turtle Bay Video Series
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Fantastic ! Great job, I like de bridges, the buildings, the rides... everything ! And really nice screenshots  :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2021, 02:52 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939: 1935 Flood
« Reply #320 on: July 20, 2021, 11:44 AM »
In 1935, the Rose River valley flooded following a week of heavy rains.  Although Rose Lake Park suffered much damage in the low-lying areas of the park, the park staff were able to rebuild and the park recovered over the next 4 years, emerging more successful than ever.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:31 PM by Fisherman »

Re: Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939 - 1935 Flood
« Reply #321 on: July 20, 2021, 11:54 AM »
I believe I commented on YT already, but great unique idea and take on the story. The flooded park looks amazing (meaning the work and look you guys gave it). Nice job. Love it.

Re: Rose Lake Park - 1930-1939 - 1935 Flood
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Amazing flood pics! So creepy to see the park this way.

Looking forward to the "new" Rose Park!

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Welcome to part one of the fifth episode of the journey of Rose Lake Park! 

Join Wolf Tenor, MattDownes, and me as we explore map 5 of our project.  In this episode, we take a look at Matt's new speedboats, the gorgeous art deco boathouse and Sir Montague's Boathouse Bar.  We get a peek at the Swan Pavilion's new production, and check out the all-new Sky Rockets ride on the Boardwalk.  We see the new flat rides in Comet Plaza, including Redline682's spot-on custom Eyerly Octopus.  We explore the Rose Lake Cabins, and we check out the fantastic Auto Rally ride, based on Kennywood's Auto Race.  And, then we finish up the video inside WolfTenor's magnificent Rose Lake Ballroom!

Map 5 should be ready for download on the Steam Workshop next week.

In the mean time, Map 4 can be downloaded here on the workshop:  https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2185917373

Also, follow the zany back-stories of our park founders and staff as we move through the decades here on our blog (PG-13):  https://roselakepark.blogspot.com/

Screenshots:

1930s speedboats by MattDownes:

Art Deco boathouse and bar by MattDownes, WolfTenor, and Fisherman:

New Sky Rockets ride on the Boardwalk (replaced the Flying Gondolas, by Fisherman)

Eyerly first-generation Octopus, by RedLine682:

Rose Lake Cabins by MattDownes, Lookout tower by Fisherman:

Auto Rally ride by MattDownes and Fisherman:

Bruin Auditorium renovation and Rose Lake Ballroom, by Wolf Tenor and Fisherman:

Thanks for looking!

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I love the vintage (1935) newsreel video of the flood aftermath. So sad, especially with the somber, melancholy music. Such a realistic depiction of flooding; not just the murky water, but all the debris floating around as well, both natural and man-made.

Even though it's just a simulation, it really is heart-breaking seeing all that devastation (dang you :mad:up:). Still, the phoenix will rise from the ashes, so to speak. Some of the rides/attractions will be restored, while others will no doubt be replaced with new stuff. The image with the colorful, partly submerged popcorn cart atilt in the middle of all the muddy devastation sticks in my mind.

And now on to the 1939 video: The boathouse with the Boathouse Bar sitting atop looks great. I especially like how the restaurant looks boat-shaped. Really nice interior considering how narrow the building is. I also like the elegance of the outer stairs leading up to the restaurant. And the cobalt blue windows in the boathouse are just the right thing to give it that little extra Rose Lake touch.

I love the little cabins by the lake; how they're positioned at random angles to each other. With their ivy-covered walls, covered porches with rustic railings, and window boxes all abloom they look very inviting. I'd like to rent one for a week or so, if you please. I like the looks of the speedboats but, you know, they aren't very speedy just sitting there all static-like. Oh well, whatcha gonna do. Great view from the lookout tower.

And the Ballroom... oh my, such opulence! Wolf Tenor did a marvelous job on the interior. (He is the very model of a modern Major-General, after all.) The pipe organ is a wonderful addition, and I like how we can see the extra pipes up above on the upper level. I'd go there just to listen to the organ. I also like the curved balconies jutting out over the dance floor.

Excellent update! Thank you to the Rose Lake team. Looking forward to the second part.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:48 PM by JB »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Thank you so much, JB!  It's always great to read your comments.  :)

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
I am just in awe with how you captured the flooding vibe in the park. Very well down, I grew up on a creek and flooding was a common event and that is usually how it looks in a aftermath. I love how much attention is being paid to historical homages with the time period. It is very well done and I can not wait for more.  :up:

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Thanks, Plokoon111!!