I'm still around, but...

• 13 replies

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
I'm still around, but...
« on: December 04, 2019, 12:00 AM »
Some of you have probably noticed that I haven't commented in any of your threads for a while. That's because I just spent a fabulous 9 nights and 10 days in Hospital World (One of Disney's lesser-known properties :P)

In other words: Around noon on November 23rd I went to the emergency room having chest pains and shortness of breath. Yep, I was having a heart attack; it actually started the night before; couldn't get any sleep on the night of the 22nd. I just got out of the hospital yesterday (Dec. 2nd).

This was all unexpected, as I never had any heart trouble before. After the first couple of days in the hospital I was informed that I'm also diabetic, my LDL (bad) cholesterol was sky high, and I had high blood pressure. I knew my (untreated) blood pressure was high, but I didn't know about the other things.

Even though I'm home now, I'm not spending very much time at my computer (duh). Concentrating on letting my heart heal, etc. (There was also some damage to one of my heart valves). I'm feeling okay now, no pain; I just get exhausted really easily since my damaged heart isn't pumping enough oxygenated blood to the rest of my body.

So, I'll still be looking at (and reading) your threads here at SGW, but not commenting as often as I used to; at least not for a while.

At the end of this recovery period I will probably be undergoing open-heart quadruple bypass surgery (yay me). So I have that to look forward to, as well. But I also look forward to being an active SGW member again, sometime in the near future. :)   - JB

Re: I'm still around, but...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 03:48 AM »
JB, that's terrifying.  I noticed you had "stepped away" but the one time I didn't let my brain go to the worst-case-scenario-place, there it is.  I just figured people get busy around this time of year.  I'm so very happy you're here now, sense of humor intact, to tell us the story, or at least the beginning of it so far.

I'm sending you my healingest-of healing thoughts (those words made sense in my head).  Do what you need to do, be nice to your doctors, and come back as soon as you are able to tell us how well things went.  And they will.  Peace my friend.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 04:41 AM »
wow - get well my friend and we will say a few extra prayers for you to heal completely.

Offline warcat

• shyguy's World rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 10:47 AM »
JB, sorry to hear about your health issue. Slow down, do what you have to do to heal and feel better. Good thoughts and prayers are headed your way.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57 PM »
I was very much aware that you had not posted in a while. I was hoping you had gone on a vacation or a cruise, but also worried that you had taken ill. Very sorry to hear it was the latter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope you get to be feeling much better very soon. Your wit and inspiring comments are sorely missed.
Browse the Best of the Workshop at the Planet Coaster Depot

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 02:11 PM »
JB, I am so sorry to hear this. I hope you are getting well soon. Only do what's good for you, take it easy, look after yourself! All the best wishes, may you recover very soon!

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Hospital visits of this kind and urgency are never fun, but very glad you've made it home even if there's some 'fun' on the horizon.  A year and a half ago I underwent similar, ended up getting two stents in an angioplasty.  While not diabetic, I also had high BP at the time.  My hospital stay was far longer then I wanted, while I only spent two days in CCU, I then had to wait almost two weeks for the insurance company to okay the procedures.  The stay wasn't so bad...being the token gringo I was like a tourist attraction as staff stopped by to practice their English skills...or lack there-of!  Luckily, while our insurance is slow with the approval process, everything was paid for, no deductibles.

Take some time to heal, and if you're like me you'll soon be feeling even better than you have in years, and back to posting your usual pearls of wisdom here!   :yes:

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46 PM »
My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope you feel much better very soon.

I really need you to help me out with some of those trivia questions!!!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Wow. I'm truly touched by all your thoughts and well-wishes. :blush:  I got no further than JP's reply when I started to tear up, my jaw started to quiver, and then I had to go blow the snot out of my nose. And yeah, I use humor to defuse serious situations; it really is the best medicine (plus all the heart pills, blood pressure pills, etc.)

Like I said above, no pain now; just weakness. And wagi, I didn't know about your heart ordeal till now. I guess we have more in common than being Pacific Northwesters (You're from Washington state originally, I think) We're a hardy (but soggy) folk. Yeah, one of my doctors said that after the bypass procedure I should be back to doing all the things I did before.

So, thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers and well-wishes. I'm sure I'll be commenting in your threads again soon. And I hope to update my Imaginarium threads in the not too distant future. I think it would be therapeutic.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Glad to hear you are okay. Sending prayers for a speedy recovery and hope you come back better than ever!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 04:31 AM »
Glad you are doing better! Rest and heal JB! Heart stuff is random sometimes.

Offline Elizabeth

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Wow, JB, so sorry to hear that you've been that unwell! Thank God that you had enough warning to get the care you need. The road ahead may be bumpy in the short term, but like Wagi, you'll soon be better than ever and back to sharing your marvelous creations. I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way!  :angel2: :up:

Offline Gravquian

• Herbie Popnecker / The Fat Fury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 08:51 PM »
Gosh JB,

Sorry to hear of your health issues.  Glad to hear you are on the mend.
And wish you the best for the surgery, and recovery to come.

Keep them spirits up, and stay positive (like you are) !
Moderation, rest, and proper diet... will help you mend.
May the prayers of others (and myself), help you also.

~Gravquian
=
Cafe.Naver  File  Downloading  Tutorial  ... http://www.shyguysworld.com/Archive/index.php/topic,12722.0.html
 Shameful plugs: Gravquian's Generics & Gravquian's Rug Thread

" A novel set, requires more than novice experience! "

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Again, thanks to all for your encouraging words and thoughts. I fully intend to put up a fight and see this through. Better times ahead. :)