Rise of the Resistance....

• 8 replies
Rise of the Resistance....
« on: December 06, 2019, 07:25 PM »
I will try not to give away too many spoilers, but had the chance to experience this attraction today (one day after opening) and all I can say id draw dropping awesome. Even if you are not a Star Wars fan the effects and story line of this ride are incredible.

Disney has a new way to queue guests for the (what I'm calling Mega E-Ticket) rides. Once you scan your ticket at the gate, you go to the Disney app and sign in for a boarding group for the ride. So its like a super Fast Pass type feature. For example I had boarding group 58. the app (and signs in the park) show status of boarding, but you can go enjoy the rest of the park...or even leave and go to another park (like we did), until your boarding group approaches. Once it is called you have about 2 hours to make it to the queue to sign in and get in line.

I think it worked very well...except this early in the opening schedule, the park was opening at 5am and all the boarding slots were filled for the day bay about 8am...so right now get there super early or don't expect to ride.

I expect that this will subside as time goes on and crowds level out a bit, but I'm told this will be in place at least through the holiday season in the park.

So once you check in...you go to the queue and wait with the others in the queue like normal, but it moves fast and was not filled to capacity. The outdoors extended queue was totally empty. when we got in line.

The cast working the ride is awesome and they were trained very well. Its totally like being in a SW movie with live characters all around you. Yelling commands, hurrying you along, scaring you with threats of interrogation...simply awesome. Their involvement and commitment to the characters made the ride experience even way better.

Now quick high level recap of the ride...stop reading if you want no idea what to expect.

I basically will break the ride into like 5-6 segments that are clear different experiences you have during the ride. Each wonderful on its own.

Part 1: The Queue. took about 15 to 20 minutes. You walk through a underground resistance bunker. lots of concrete and storage props of weapons, uniforms, etc.

Part 2: Pre-show 1 about 5 mins - at the end of the queue you enter a room where BB-8 (live) and Rey (a super realistic hologram) provide some instructions on what will be happening...basically you are recruited to help a general and will be taking a shuttle to help the troops

Part 3: Shuttle ride. About 5-7 minutes. Doors open and you find yourself back outside being yelled at to hurry to the shuttle as you need to leave quickly. Life size shuttle opens up and you enter a fully themed ship where you stand and hold onto rails. Star Wars creature pilot and instruct you some more. via video screen, special effects and actual movement, you fly into space, but get caught in a tracker beam of a Star Destroyer. Video screen get taken over and you are told that your ship will be boarded. Through the windows you see that you are entering the destroyer docking bay.

Part 4: Docking bay pre-show2. about 2-3 mins. Shuttle doors open and First Order folks start yelling and calling you spies and rebel scum. You exit into a full size hanger bay that is unbelievable and jaw dropping. Like 50 Storm Troopers guard you and you see the battle action through the large open hanger bay doorway. They move you fairly quickly through here into a hallway.

Part 5: the hall queue, about 5-10 mins depending on crowd flow. So now you are in another queue, fully themed of the interior of the ship. not that long of a wait. at the end you tell the FO guys how many people in your party.

Part 6: Interrogation prep - about 2-5 minutes. So they line you up and do some pretty good acting making you feel like you are about to be interrogated. Grumbling under their breath that they will get the location of the resistance base from you no matter what...and staring you down. Very military/prison feel to this part. A few more troopers stand guard.

Part 7: The interrogation cell. about 3-4 minutes. You get led into a cell and Kylo and others warn and threaten you from above the cell. You get a surprise breakout rescue from other fighters and are hurried into the prisoner transport vehicles that will take you to some escape pods.

Part 8: The escape. this is finally the main part of the ride...about 5-7 minutes long. trackless cars take you all through the ship and on different levels as you from battle scene to battle scene as Kylo chases you through the ship. Some really awesome practical effects, video, effects, Special effects and projections are used along with some of the best robotic figures you will ever see.

So as I said earlier...not just a ride a full immersion experience. you have to go do it in person.

Re: Rise of the Resistance....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:29 AM »
I did watch the POV of both sides of the ride... it was impressive but doesn't do much to explain the story of everything that happened before you get on the cars, so thanks for filling in that gap!

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 09:12 PM »

SPOILER ALERT!!!
I finally put together a little recap of this new attraction at Disney...Rise of the Resistance. Its a quick 2 minute recap of some of the experience's highlights. Most of the audio is removed and I put a different sound track over it as to not ruin the full experience if you so choose to watch.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Nice teaser. :)  That's a neat effect with the light saber cutting through the overhead hatch.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 12:01 AM »
I am ready to experience this attraction, I have seen so many POV videos and I am just mind-blown over how technologically advanced this attraction is.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 04:49 AM »
yep - its awesome. Going back in two weeks with my (adult) son.

Offline ImagineerTom

• It all started with a mouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Glad you liked it.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 05:55 AM »
Went back to Disney this past week and did RotR two more times. they have a different way to get boarding passes now.

Basically all boarding passes open up on the Disney App right when the park officially opens (it was 7am the two days I went).
So, you have to get to the park early enough to get through security and get scanned in BEFORE that officially opening time. I got to the park at about 6:10 and this is what it looked like after security and waiting for them to open the turn styles.

Once they started letting us in early (about 6:20) they were able to get 1000s of people in within minutes. They forgo the finger scans to make it go faster. So for about 30 mins or so people kept streaming into the park and filling every corner of the entry street and plaza. They had the attractions part of the park closed until that opening time.

So 1000s of people were standing there refreshing the app waiting for 7am to hit so we could all click, click and get the boarding passes needed for the ride. every member of your party that wants to ride needs to be scanned into the park in order to be selected in the app for a boarding group.
Here was everyone waiting.

7am hits and within seconds people start screaming and cheering as they secure a spot for the ride for the day. Within minutes all are filled up for the day. Anyone coming even by minutes after opening will most likely not get to get on the ride for that day.

How it worked for me.

Day 1 - it was me and my son, so we had two.
-We heard that doing this off wi-fi was better/faster, so we did that.
-Also, you need to be on the app page before the boarding group selection (where it has the button that says "Get More Info"). if you are in the selection page, it will no be active once opening time hits.
-Tap the get more info button, tap the create a boarding group button, select the members in your app for the boarding pass (another tip...remove anyone from your app that is not there that day and its easier to select everyone you want).
-Tap ok and cross your fingers...we got group 18 that day, which is really good.
-they started boarding about 7:20 and we were called pretty quickly and got on and off the ride by 8:00. Didn't even stop in the queue, walked right through to the pre-show.

Day 2
 - did the same timing, but was by myself this day. Met a family while we were waiting and made friends with them.
- we both started the app procedure exactly the same time, but that day, the app hesitated for me and said I had to wait because I was not in the park, but I was. I quickly backed up a page and went back in, but when it was selecting a group for me the app was working for a few seconds this time.
- ended up with group 80. the family next to me got group 22. So those few precious seconds do make a difference.
- ride was down and didn't open up until about 10:30.
- I was finally called about 2:20 and wait through the full outside and inside queue this time, but it took only about 30 mins or so to go through it.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:18 PM »
You do realize how insane this sounds, right? :P  My hat's off to you for your determination, perseverance and tech know-how. I don't even own a cellphone, much less a smartphone. I wonder if I can use my corded landline phone to get a boarding pass? :P  I think I'll wait a year or twenty when all the hoopla surrounding the ride simmers down. Meanwhile, we have your reports and photos (and YouTube) to get an idea of what the ride is like. :)  Thanks, wowman.