The Timeline; 1957

• 2 replies

Offline AcesCalifornia

• Ambitious But Lazy
    • View Profile
The Timeline; 1957
« on: January 29, 2020, 02:40 AM »
Before we get started, let me introduce myself and this project. I'm Aces and I'm much more a lurker here than I would like. However, some of you may know me from the BroNation Discord, and my publishing of the BN Bugle. I finally come in here to post my first public project in what must be a couple years now.

The Timeline is a project, working as a timeline park, tracking the growth of a southeast UK amusement park from it's inception to the massive attraction it is in the current, and onward into the future. What you will see in this first update will be the foundations of this project.

I do hope you enjoy this! And I can't wait to show you more as the years progress!

The Timeline; 1957

“Come experience the grandeur of the Raj without stepping foot outside of Blighty” claimed the first advertisement for the Indian Gardens. Located in the south east of the United Kingdom, not far from London, the gardens were originally built in 1910.

Businessman, Maximillian Hall operated as an Importer/Exporter to the British Raj, now known now-adays as India, and with multiple trips to and from the country conducting business; inspired and in awe by the architecture of the lands, he set out to build the Indian Gardens for the people of Great Britain to visit and experience the architecture of India themselves, from the comfort of home.

From it's opening in 1910 and onwards, the park remained a popular spot locally for days out among those even as far out as London. However, with the onset of World War II, the park was taken out of the hands of it's owners, passed down through the Hall family, and placed into the ownership of the British Army. The park was left neglected as the armed forces used it's lands for training, and even after peace broke out in 1945, the park remained in the hands of the local council, continuing to remain neglected.

This was the case until 1956. A local post-war Horticultural Society raised enough money through the local community to purchase the entire land the park sits on back from the council and into caring hands. The buildings thankfully were left unscaved by The Blitz that destroyed a lot of Great Britain, but neglected by the government, they would non-the-less take time to refurbish back to their 1910s glory. But after a year of hard graft, in 1957 the park officially reopened.

The Indian inspired architecutre started right from the entrance into the gardens, with a trio of arches that funneled you into a tree-shaded path, past a decorative tower that could be seen, perched on top a small hill, and directly into the line of sight of the main structure of the gardens, The Raj Gateway.

Even returning at night, with some subtle lighting, provides an outstanding looking entrance.

In the center of the park as it's crowning jewel; the Raj Gateway offers a highly detailed and ornamental example of the architecture that Hall wanted to bring back to the British. It is flanked on most sides by clear patches of grass that are usually claimed by towels, coolers, drinks, and lawn chairs as these patches are used for sunbathing and picnics.

Continuing your walk around the circular path of the gardens towards the backside of the Raj Gateway and of the gardens themselves, you start to enter deeper into the naturally occuring forest that this park was built in front of, with the lake that is located central to the park as well finishing with a shallow pool; it's banks connected by an ornamental brick bridge as well as skipping stones for those youthful and adventureous enough to risk a soak if they fall in.

Returning on the other side of the lake with the path that takes you back into the front section of the park. Moving down an avenue lined with trimmed trees, you arrive at the Oriental Greenhouse. Constructed during the insitial project spearheaded by Hall, the Oriental Greenhouse holds many of the flora brought back from India that require the balmy conditions of India to live. Since the regenetation of the park by the Horticultural Society; their experience in cultivating the flora has seen more new additions than ever added to this small greenhouse.

Re: The Timeline; 1957
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:57 AM »
nice project to start with...glad you are sharing as its beautiful. these all look like real photos

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: The Timeline; 1957
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:19 PM »
That's GORGEOUS!