Sonora Gardens - Season 4, 1986 - San Juarez Doubles in Size!

• 14 replies

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
Hey everyone, I recently rejoined this forum after initially joining in 2011. I was mainly on RCTLounge (rip) but still came to this site to check out people's creations. I wanted to share my park that I've been working on and off on for years now, and given the current pandemic situation it gave me enough time to sit down and really change and progress this park how I want.

The challenge I face here is creating a park that I'll enjoy playing in without ruining my framerate by giving too much detail to the scenery while also giving it a sense of realism. Considering this IS Planet Coaster, it's not great already, but not unbearable.

This park is going to follow a time progression like many other parks here  :). Here we go!

Good Morning, folks! I'm Lorenzo, Park and Operations Manager of the upcoming theme park Sonora Gardens. This high budget project is the product of the CoasterlandCo. The aim is to bring thrills for all audiences in Georgia and the Southeast, especially since we are a short drive away from Atlanta!

We are only a few weeks away from opening day and we are all preparing to make sure Sonora Gardens' first season hits the ground running! It's late February, 1983. Before I got busy with work earlier today, I decided to take a walk around and snap a few photos.

Here is a closer view of the main gate. The buildings are so wide that I couldn't fit them all into frame!

Upon entering the park, guests are greeted with a giant centerpiece. The park's theme are the wide range of cultures and architectural styles that exist in North and South America - both past and present.

The Mainstreet splits with the left side leading into Woodsaw Mills further behind. More on that later.

As we continue down Mainstreet, we come to another section. This area is influenced by Hispanic architecture, a little more-so than the first part of the Mainstreet. The buildings contain lots of warm colors to push the tropical feeling.

The plazas in this section contain statues of our park mascots and a few smaller ones that fit their characters.

The area behind Mainstreet is San Juarez - an area influenced by the Southwest US and Northern Mexico. What do you think about our flashy entrance sign?

The centerpiece of this area is the marketplace which sports a large building with multiple dining, shopping, and need-based facilities. It serves as a rest area for everyone to chill out for a while before continuing their day in the park.

Armada, a swinging ship ride that has near misses with surrounding buildings.

Bumper Bash faces the marketplace.

A chairlift sits behind the bumper cars, with another building for guests to relax under. The chairlift will take you back to Mainstreet or to San Juarez.

That's all for now, but before I go I wanted to share some photos I took later in the day when I got a break- I'll go more into detail on these later!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:41 PM by Jdub97 »
Can't think of anything yet-...

Re: Sonora Gardens - The Days Before Opening - 1983
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31 AM »
this is such a crisp and clean looking park

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:39 PM »
I love the colorful Southwest/South-of-the-Border buildings and foliage.

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Hey folks, today I'm bringing you another update of the 3rd area of the park; Woodsaw Mills. The area is a class western mining/industrial town turned... coaster. It features two coasters, a log flume, and a Troika ride.

This is by far the biggest area, we currently think of it as fully fleshed out! What you see here is the station building and queue for our woodie, Woodsaw.

The coaster dips out of the station, then goes under it to the lift hill. The coaster dips in and out of the woods and interacts with the walkways twice, it's tough to see parts of the layout through the trees - which was the goal!

The ride features a steep angled helix that drops under a bridge to the second part of Woodsaw Mills, then it turns around going over the same path into a tunnel.

Here are some of the surrounding buildings of the area.

Now we reach the back of WM, which houses hour family friendly mine train, "Gold Runner." Previously the station was planned as a location for the park's actual train transport, but revised for a coaster. It takes guests through a network of caves and hills previously used for extracting gold and other minerals found in the area. I can provide test shots at a later date!

The ride hugs the terrain, as you can see before the final break runs.

In front of Gold Runner lies Scarlet Psyclone, equipped with visual effects and color changing lights if you ride at night.

Finally, we have Mountaintop Drop, a log flume that indeed does that.

Both rides here take advantage of the heavily wooded terrain.

That's all for now! I have a feeling these rides will be what pulls heavy crowds to the park. My personal favorite is Gold Runner.

(Thank you guys for the comments! I had a blast designing the Adobe themed area so I'm glad someone else likes it too.  :D

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Great park, I love the realism of it all !
There a very good attention to details. I too love the colorful southwest area, there a lot of variation and diversity in what could have been a fairly repetitive yellow adobe village.
And your entrance gate looks majestic !

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36 PM »
The station for Woodsaw is exactly what you would expect for a rustic sawmill; lots of big, thick, heavy, raw lumber. :up:

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Afternoon! Our opening is a short time away now. While the park works on final touches, I snapped some photos of our rides testing to give a better look at the layouts.

The ride drops down by San Juarez, breezing by the guests on that side of the park.

Gold Runner features some SFX to boost the ride experience! Don't worry, this is an animatronic man getting blown up.

Here is the entire layout of the ride.

If you look hard enough you can see Gold Runner in the background on the right.

The final hill before the drop into the cave, which runs into the brake run.

Here you can see some of the lighting and special effects for the Scarlet Psyclone.

Lastly, the illuminated drop of Mountaintop Drop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:03 AM by Jdub97 »

Offline Platinum

• Corkscrew is iconic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Great park, I love the realism of it all !
There a very good attention to details. I too love the colorful southwest area, there a lot of variation and diversity in what could have been a fairly repetitive yellow adobe village.
And your entrance gate looks majestic !

I struggle with that myself. It's incredible how Jdub97 has used many different building styles to create both Mainstreet & especially Woodsaw Mills.

I really like the detailing on a Gold Runner. The switch-track fakeout explosion, the custom supports, the way it weaves through tunnels. An overall solid mine coaster. I was pleasantly surprised by Scarlet Psyclone. The extra SFX and the color scheme really bring this flat to life. It's always refreshing to see flat rides getting some love. Excellent work so far.  :up:

Spoiler (hover to show)
This is my personal favorite picture so far. The tunnel entrance is so simple, yet looks great. It makes me wonder why I've never thought of that before. That is one of the great things about this community; always fining a new way to build something. Inspiring.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:43 PM by Platinum »

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 06:03 PM »
I struggle with that myself. It's incredible how Jdub97 has used many different building styles to create both Mainstreet & especially Woodsaw Mills.

I really like the detailing on a Gold Runner. The switch-track fakeout explosion, the custom supports, the way it weaves through tunnels. An overall solid mine coaster. I was pleasantly surprised by Scarlet Psyclone. The extra SFX and the color scheme really bring this flat to life. It's always refreshing to see flat rides getting some love. Excellent work so far.  :up:

Spoiler (hover to show)
This is my personal favorite picture so far. The tunnel entrance is so simple, yet looks great. It makes me wonder why I've never thought of that before. That is one of the great things about this community; always fining a new way to build something. Inspiring.

These are such nice compliments! Thank you so much. For some reason the building style I use on the mainstreet comes easy to me and I don't stress myself out trying to make buildings with it, lol.

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
Sonora Gardens awaits its guests! The park's first season was incredibly successful and for our second season in operation, we have a major addition!

Can you see it from here?

For our 1984 season, we welcome our new Arrow Looper, Diamondback! Sitting in San Juarez, the coaster stands tall with two massive loops, followed by a double corkscrew after the brake run. Guests will enjoy flying over the nearby river and over the trees as they reach speeds of nearly 50mph!

Here are more shots of the layout.

The transfer track here works a bit differently. Due to space constraints, the trains are transferred in by the track sliding into the building. Diamondback currently runs 3 trains.

Images of the overall layout, shot from a helicopter.

Until next time!

Side note, that building going across the river in the background was not by me! I used it as a reference for a future bridge and forgot to delete it before I took most of the pictures. Thanks for checking this out!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 05:10 PM by Jdub97 »

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Phenomenal work!!  The details are incredible throughout the park.

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
Phenomenal work!!  The details are incredible throughout the park.

Thank you! I'm busy expanding the Adobe themed section as we speak.  :D

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
Re: Sonora Gardens - Season 4, 1986 - Adobe/San Juarez Expansion
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 12:37 PM »
Afternoon! Today I show you all our 1986 expansion of San Juarez! The past three seasons have been a success fortunately, allowing the doubling in size of the area. The park saw a quiet 1985 season, allowing us to save up and have higher budgets for future projects.

As you can see, San Juarez has been expanded! This area holds three new rides, a restaurant, an arcade, midway games, small shops, and numerous areas to sit and relax.

While walking to this area of the park, you pass a few games where guests can win prizes. The trees that used to sit behind the bumper cars were cleared to make way for this section. (The Midway Games buildings were found in the Steam Workshop. The walls were changed out with other minor changes to fit into the Adobe theme more.)

Once you get up the hill, on the left side "'Rado River Rapids" brushes next to the path. The rafts take riders through the rough waters of the Colorado River.

The queue has multiple bridges over the ride.

Next is a gift shop, selling items such as sugar skulls, toys, and more.

One of the many patios in this area. The designers wanted to give guests plenty of places to stop and relax as they navigate the park.

Diamondback is visible from this patio as well.

Next is the arcade. Located in the back of the area, it has numerous games and food stalls inside.

A few random photos I snapped!

Back to Rado River Rapids, here are some images of the layout.

Lastly, here is an overhead shot of the entire area.

The fonts come from TMTK. They can be found on the workshop!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:40 PM by Jdub97 »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: Sonora Gardens - Season 4, 1986 - San Juarez Doubles in Size!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 03:59 PM »
The landscaping in the park (both, plants and rocks), especially in this area, looks very nice and varied; it suits the south-of-the-border theme very well. I like the patio areas with the multi-colored umbrellas and the curved retaining walls filled with flowers.

Offline Jdub97

• Park Creator!
    • View Profile
Re: Sonora Gardens - Season 4, 1986 - San Juarez Doubles in Size!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 07:57 PM »
You can now check out Sonora Gardens' 1986 scenario park file on Steam! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2104403731 . Let me know what you think!