John Delacruz Adventure Park - 31st October 1979 - storyline park (update 12)

• 23 replies

Offline Jake C

• Stone cold Steve, 3:16
    • View Profile
18th April 1978

Hello everyone, my name is James Parker. I've just recently turned 20 and have acquired my first job at my local news paper, my hiring actually coincides with quite an exciting time in our town. A local businessman named Edward, Edward Delacruz has decided to turn the land his late father once owned into a brand new amusement park. As my first assignment at my new job I've been asked to track everything that is going on at the John Delacruz Adventure Park (the park is named after Edwards father). 

We are still a few weeks form opening but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't head down the road and take a look at whats currently there, maybe I'll get lucky and be able to talk to someone who can give us some more insight, if not today I assure you ill do everything to make some contacts and bring you the freshest news from the park.

So at first glance from the main road looking over the gravel car park my mind is drawn to a few things, first the big wheel, stands as a bit of an icon at the back of the park, I have seen it before but not this close, looks to me like we will get some stunning views from up there. To the left we also have a building to purchase tokens (I wonder how much they will charge?) and a large sign advertising the park.

Upon closer look at the entrance gateway we have a sign advertising the opening date, ill make sure to mark that one in the diary!

This building seemed to house an attraction and upon closer inspection it looked like Dodgems, they should be good fun! I'm pretty sure this building stood here before looks as if its been repurposed, ill try and dig up some pictures to see if I can find out for sure.

I tired to ask the security man if I could have a wonder down one of the service roads, (supervised of course) I even flashed my fancy local news I'D, he didn't seem to interested, I did ask him what was back there though. He just said it was access for larger vehicles into the back of the park and some offices.

As a last resort to find out more I climbed a tree to get this shot, not much of the park can be seen from the main road at eye level but from here I can make out a steam train and not much else really.

I was hoping for a little bit more out of this update, I didn't realise how much of this park was hid from the main road! well it will certainly make for some surprises come opening day, we still haven't had any official word form Edward Delacruz about what to expect really. Ill try pull some string and see if we can get some kind of info before opening day.

Till next time,

James Parker   

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 04:00 AM by Jake C »
I live in the NoLimits board, come stop by and say hi.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 1st May 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 12:24 PM »
1st May 1978

Wow those 10 days flew by, I spent most of the last week putting together a report about a cat that got stuck in a delivery van, that is about as interesting as it gets round these parts. Well at least today I got to cover something slightly more interesting, I was able head down and check out the opening of a brand new amusement park.

So after sleeping in a little later then I should have dropping by the office to collect my research allowance for the day, I made it down to the park for 11am, only 2 hours late but the car park out the front of the park was already full. Instead we were directed to an overflow car park down the road, it was quite a walk away, some form of transport might be helpful in future to bring us to the entrance of the park.

I made it in, picking up tokens was pretty easy, they are 25 cents each or $1 for 5. I picked up 5 tokens leaving me with some money left over for food. Also noticed Edward giving an interview to a local news station, went up and tried to ask if I could have a word, his personal assistant said another time, I'm starting to think there are no real perks attached to my local news I.D

The first thing that catches your eyes when you walk into the park is the carousel they have here, its named the Grand Carousel and I have to admit it does look pretty grand. It was one token a go and I was actually surprised by the ride a little, it seems to run on two speed settings, starts off quite slow and then after a minute or so you go round pretty fast. A fun ride and fits nicely here at the entrance of the park.

As we venture left we are taken under a train bridge to an area simply known as the west side of the park. the train that runs over the bridge is a railway that features two stops, one on each side of the park. Its named the Connie Express, which was actually the name of Edwards mother, Johns wife.

The first two attractions to feature this side of the park seem to be temporary additions, I assume these are here to increase the amount of rides the park has a available. I was talking to the guys running the rides, apparently they don't work for the park directly but instead the showman who own them were asked if they wanted to have a semi permanent home here for at least a couple of seasons. the two rides that feature are Round & round, a thrilling alternative to the big wheel and Swirl 'O' Planes another thrilling ride that spins upside down. You can probably tell that both these rides where very popular with their queue lines full, along with a 2 token price tag for each ride I decided to skip these today.

Also on this side of the park is another flat ride, this one looks a bit more permanent. This is a tilt-a-whirl type ride called the big twist, I think the ride hardware itself is relatively inexpensive for these but Edward and his team have done a nice job of making it look presentable. The line was also pretty full for this one but as it only cost 1 token I decided to wait it out and take a spin, I've been on this type of ride quite a few times at fun fairs but it was still good fun.

Behind the big twist we have one of the two train stations at the park, this station services this side of the park and is simply known as the west station. Again the design team here have done a nice job in making the station area and building look nice. I took this opportunity to use the train to get to the other side of the park. It was 1 token to stay on for one stop or 2 tokens to do the entire loop.

As I exited the station I was greeted with another selection of flat rides, in front of me here is Wave Swinger, the chair swing type ride here at the park. It actually wasn't in operation today unfortunately but I did get word that it was almost ready to go, seemed reasonably priced at 2 tokens a go too.

Also up here is Wonder Wheel, I'd say this is the parks icon, it stands above most of the park and works as a great way to entice people in, the entrance to the ride is a little hidden away up here at the back of the park, it also costs 4 tokens to ride! Another one I decided to skip today but I'll be back to get some rides for sure, I hear the views are fantastic.

As we make our way back to the entrance area of the park, along the route we pass a few more attractions. Another temporary installation called Zero G, this one simulates zero gravity, hence the name. They are great fun and watching people have a go convinced me to part with one of my tokens to take a spin.

Also along this route is the east station that services this part of the park, along with another flat ride, Tea Cup Party. This ones just a standard spinning cup ride, its been dressed up quite nicely though. Another two token ride, it was another one I gave a miss as I already knew where I wanted to spend my last token.

This is just a quick look back at the route from the east side of the park back to the entrance area, I really like the train bridges that feature around the park, they make for some great atmosphere as the train passes over.

Here is what I was saving my tokens for, the Dodgems. They are called the Bumpin Barn, I did a bit of research and this building actually has been standing here for a number of years long before this was part of an amusement park. It was a carpentry workshop which has now been repurposed to hold a ride. As for the Dodgems themselves they were good fun, they picked up some good speed and there was plenty off room to drive around in.

My last stop on this trip was to parks food court area, The Cook Out. there are a few options for burgers, ribs and milkshakes around here. I went for a burger and a milkshake, at only $2 for my meal I thought it was pretty good value and it tasted good too!

Lunch marked the end of my day at the John Delacruz Adventure park, Id have love to have been able to stay longer but I had run out of tokens and needed to get back to office before it closes for the evening to to write up this report. On the whole everyone I came across today both guests and staff seemed pretty happy with the park and what it had to offer. I cant wait for my return visit in a few months time to gauge some more reactions, see if anything has changed and to ride Wave Swinger.

Till next time,

James Parker 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:34 PM by Jake C »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 1st May 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 09:49 PM »
I like the outward-leaning beams on your carousel cover; that's something different. And like you (or James Parker) said; the railroad bridges with the paths going underneath add a lot of excitement, interest, and beauty to the park. At first, I thought that the ticket taker at the entrance to Tea Cup Party was wearing a facemask (COVID-19 pandemic), but then I realized it was just her visor covering her face as she looks down. :n00b:

The theming of the park- sort of western, sort of rustic, sort of present day, doesn't really draw attention to itself. But it fits with the storyline of a privately owned park built on an old farm/ranch. Nothing too fancy or expensive; at least, not at the start.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
John Delacruz Adventure Park - 25th July 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25th July 1978

Hello everyone I'm back for another update on our local amusement park, its been an interesting few months since opening day and now summer is in full swing its time to head back down and have a check up on whats going on.

I'm expecting a relatively busy day today, I decided to make the trip up to the park early, in fact I was so early I was able to get spot in the small car park located just in front of the entrance. There's only space for 100 or so cars here so getting here before opening and having to wait outside for half an hour is better then the long walk from the main car park.

One of the buildings that didn't feature on my last report was the restroom building, its pretty basic and I'm sure its not supposed to draw to much attention to itself but it does sit here at the front of the park. There is also an information desk inside too, you can pick up park maps and stuff from here. I picked one up today and will show you guys in a future update so you can get a better idea on the layout of the park.

My first stop today was Round & Round, this ride has been getting some great reviews from people I've been talking to and this is evident in the fact that its drawing such a crowd! I will also add to its praises, its a very unique experience and although a temporary fun fair ride it still adds nicely to the ride line up here.

The morning crowds were actually quite light, it did pick up however later in the day. It is nice just to take a step back from the rides and take in the atmosphere created by the excited guests and the beautiful surroundings of the park.

I asked the station attendant if I could jump over to the other side of the station to take this one, originally he refused but a quick flash of my local news ID and a slight exaggeration of my importance got me what I wanted. Connie express is a fantastic ride, one of the attractions I feel separates the park from being a standard funfair, it could however do with another locomotive, it only has the one which covers the entire circuit. It also only travels about 10 mph to allow guests to appreciate the views, this does lead to some long waits.

I stopped at the cook out for some early lunch, for the amount of food you get and the quality it represents great value. Also offers another chance to take a step back and enjoy the parks atmosphere, plus nothing beats the smell that comes from those cookers, cooking all the great food on offer.

Next up was Tea Cup Party, probably not the best choice straight after food in hindsight. I do really like the lights that have been installed on the inside of the cover, must look amazing when its dark out.

Lots of people still turn up midday which is only a good thing for the park, its great to see.

I feel sorry for the operator of Bumpin Barn, all day, over and over he tells people to read the signs and travel in one direction, they never do.

Wave Swinger was in action today which was great, I was excited to give this one a go! The line was pretty busy but so many people can sit on it at once that I only waited two cycles. The cycle was also pretty long too which is great.

There has been a bit of controversy surrounding Wonder Wheel. In a previous update I mention it was the parks Icon and this is because it stands so tall over the rest of the park, in fact its the only ride which can be seen from afar. This is the issue, residents of the local area surrounding the park have kicked up a bit of a fuss over the fact that it obstructs the natural tree line view. Its gone so far that a petition has even started to get it removed. Ill keep you guys updated on this one.

The crowds really picked up during the day, the pathways and queue lines full of people. I wanted to stay till the end of the day though so I hung around and queued for a few more rides. Took a spin on Zero G, Wonder wheel and Bumpin Barn.

6pm marked the end of my day at the park, me and all the other guests filtered out of the park, back to our cars. I stopped a few to gauge some opinions on the park, everyone mostly seemed to be first time visitors and everyone seemed pretty happy albeit a little tired after there day out. Some of the more notable remarks was the desire for other attractions, not just fun fair type rides, or flat rides as we know them as.

Anyway thanks for joining me and ill be back with more updates towards the end of summer from the park.

Till next time,

James Parker

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:37 PM by Jake C »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 25th July 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 11:08 PM »
Nice update, Jake C. :)  In the 4th pic, "the excited guests" are so excited that that one lady is about to soil her leopard-print Capri pants. :P  That image of the Tea Cup Party is fantastic! The arched roof with the lights, the pastel colors, and the foreground shrubbery allowing us to peek over the top at the elegant ride beyond-  great photo.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 25th July 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 08:04 AM »
Oh I like this project a LOT!!  Gives me a Knoebels vibe.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 17th August 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12 PM »
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

17th August 1978

Hello everyone a little bit of a different update for me today, as mentioned in a previous report John Delacruz Adventure Park was facing some issues regarding one of their key attractions Wonder Wheel. Well its seems the small petition has gathered quite a lot of backing and now a meeting has been set up between the local council and Mr Delacruz, its only a preliminary meeting to discuss and evaluate options but it seems this small petition has turned into a larger problem then the park may have hoped.

So I didn't visit the park today, I decided to get some shots though from local neighbourhoods just so you can get an idea of how the attraction impacts their view. Before it was an untouched tree line with and the natural beauty of the area now there is a metal structure that sticks out a bit like a sore thumb.

This one was taken from a nearby town, again the problem persists. I think mainly residents are scared that as the park expands these views will be further obstructed by large attractions. As supporter of the park and someone who is quite keen to see it succeed I don't entirely agree with the petition, after all many planning meetings took place whilst the park was in construction. Residents where informed of all the plans, Edward and his team met little in the way of opposition. I also have to put my non bias hat on too, I appreciate that people may not have realised the full scale of what was being built here and now that its here I can see how people who have lived without an amusement park in their back yard for so long might be a little worried about what is next. 

In other news, I also have recently been written to directly by the park, it seems to be signed off by Edwards personal assistant but I'm not entirely sure. It briefly mentioned how they were happy that the local news paper was running frequent stories about trips to the park, it has boosted their profile in the local area and they would love to work with us a little more closely. I've sent a letter back already asking about future plans and as soon as I get anything back I shall let you know here first.

And to end the update on something a little more fun, here is a picture of the park map I was telling you all I picked up last week.

Thanks again for reading everyone, my plan is to hit the park again soon, hopefully next month when the summer crowds have died down. I hear the park is hitting capacity daily at the moment, which is good news for the park, but I don't think I fancy setting foot in there at the moment.     

Till next time,

James Parker
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:18 PM by Jake C »

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
3rd September 1978

So today was the last day of the summer season for the park, for the rest of the season the park is reducing its operating days to Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays till the end of October until the season ends for the year. Mr Delacruz has decided to put on a special event for the day and keep the park open from 10am till 10pm.

Arriving at the park I could tell today was going to be a busy day, I managed to grab one of the last spots out the front of the park but the extended opening hours seems to have really drawn the crowds.

Its great seeing the excitement on other guests faces as they enter the park in the morning, some people even run for their favourites.

I was asking some of the guys working on Swirl 'O' Planes they knew anything about these temporary attractions returning next year, they seemed to think they would be here for the next three seasons at least. I was also interested in how the agreement works between the showman who own the rides and Mr Delacruz, apparently they take 15 cents of each token they take whilst the other 10 cents goes to the park. Apparently the owners of the rides are more then happy with this agreement and the rides are doing some of the best business they have ever done.

The crowds today where huge! I overheard, who I assume was a manager of some kind saying that 1,400 guests where already on park and it was only 12 o'clock at this point.

I had to skip Connie Express today, I asked the man out the front in charge of taking tokens how long the wait was, he said around 40 minutes! He also added that the park had been seeing similar crowd levels for the last week, fantastic news for the park but not fantastic for me who was struggling to find a ride with a queue less then 30 minutes long.

In my last report I mentioned I had managed to start a dialog with the park directly, I did send a letter asking if they could inform us of any future plans, I actually got a response! I was told that we should watch the west side of the park as there was something in the works for the 1980 season. I always assumed this gate was for some kind of service access but it makes sense now that its been put here to allow the park to expand. I'll be frequenting this spot a lot next season to track progress on whats happening.

The Grand Carousel even had a full queue today!

Took a go on Wonder Wheel today, my first time, I've been kind of put off by the price tag, I still feel a 4 tokens is a little too much.

I also wanted to take a go because of the current situation surrounding the ride, a meeting has taken place between the local council and some park officials, the next step seems to be another meeting to talk to some of the petition organisers along with Mr Delacruz and the local council to work out solution that satisfies all parties.

I like how Connie Express circles both ends of the park and gives some great views of the rides here.

As night time approached it was time for one of my personal highlights of the park, the food! I was quite looking forward to a milkshake but weirdly there was a sign out front saying that the person manning it was on break? Seems pretty strange that they wouldn't have staff to cover breaks, especially at busy times. Ah well I still got my burger and a soda was perfectly adequate replacement.

The Grand Carousel looks very pretty at night, the queue was still full!

They have some weird illusion thing on the ceiling of the cover on the Big Twist. It kind of works when you look up and you spin, I cant really describe it though, you have to see it really when on the ride. It worked better at night with the lights on.

Well that rounds up my day at the park, I'm glad the park seems to be doing really well! even if it did mean I had to queue for a while to get on to some of the rides. I'm quite excited about the news that there are plans beyond next season to bring something new to the park, I'll be doing all I can to squeeze as much information out of the park as I can, I've already sent another letter asking for specifics. Anyway thanks for reading everyone!

Till next time,

James Parker 

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
That IS an interesting roof on the Big Twist. Rather striking. I imagine the illusion is that the convex surfaces appear to be concave, and vise versa, when the lights hit it just so.

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
I loved that update.  Hilarious way to address the roof!  You are so clever.   ;)  I really like this park.  It's very inspiring.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
John Delacruz Adventure Park - 31st October 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

31st October

So before I dive into today's trip down to the John Delacruz Adventure Park, I need to update you all on the current situation regarding Wonder Wheel, one of the key stories to come out of the park this year. So after a lot of discussions it seems that Edward Delacruz has succumb to the pressure put on him regarding the attraction.

The ride is set to be removed over the winter and the park has already found a buyer. Apparently the buyer has paid up to 70% of its original value as the attraction has only been operating 6 months and is still in very good condition which I guess can be seen as the only slight positive regarding the situation. The park has also had new restrictions implemented upon it by the local council. This being that for all future attractions built, further efforts should be made to ensure that the natural tree line remains and sights lines from local communities must remain unobstructed. This seems like a bit of a blow for the park has it does mean that they are now limited when planning for future attractions.

In a short statement the usually media shy Mr Delacruz said this "Whilst the news that we must remove an already iconic attraction so early in our parks life is very sad, we must move forward with the decision enforced on us with optimism. To work with the local communities that surround our park is one of our key values and promises we had from the start, we want this park to be a place all locals can be proud of. By keeping Wonder Wheel at the park we were not staying in line with these promises and values. We have no hard feelings towards anyone who petitioned towards its removal and still want to welcome them to the park and provide them with some real family fun."

So today actually marks the last day of the parks first operating year!  It's been a bit of a mixed ride, attendance levels have been fantastic from what i have heard and have surpassed expectations however the news we had at the end of the year seems to have bought everyone associated with the park back to reality a little bit. 

I headed down for the evening as they have a late night event going on with a firework show to celebrate the closing of Wonder Wheel. There was even a charity fund raising event where people could bid to be one of the last riders on Wonder Wheel to watch the fireworks.

First stop was Bumpin Barn tonight, I love a good spin on the Dodgems, they seemed to be going even faster today, perhaps someone has fiddled with the speed caps for a bit of last day of the season fun.

The lights look nice over the top of Tea Cup Party, they are very disorientating when spinning! These seemed faster too, perhaps someones applied some more grease.

Nothing beats just standing on the midway and watching people experience Zero G for the first time, the sensation you get on the ride can only literally be described as the feeling of zero gravity. Looks even better when all lit up.

So i did manage to bid enough to win a spot on one of the cabins of Wonder Wheel for the fireworks, I feel its $8 well spent. I do wonder what they will do with this area next year, hopefully it wont be left empty.

I only got a quick photo of the fireworks, I wanted to enjoy them properly and get my moneys worth, We did also get a complimentary drink to take up with us., I wasn't parked right at the top which was a shame, that was reserved for the highest bidders, I believe some of them paid $20! At least it was all for a good cause and I'm sure a fair amount was raised.

The show lasted 10 minutes then they cycled us round before getting us off, I took this just to get a bit of an overview of the east side of the park at night. I tried to get a shot of the proposed area for the attraction planned for 1980 but I couldn't really see anything other then trees and darkness so would have been a bit pointless.

Anyway that will do it for this season at the John Delacruz Adventure Park, we are in for a  pretty busy winter however, with the deconstruction of Wonder Wheel, its potential replacement and early ground works for whatever is supposed to be coming in 1980. I'm sure ill have a few updates over winter to talk about, for now though thanks for reading!

Till next time,

James Parker

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:09 PM by Jake C »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
Re: John Delacruz Adventure Park - 31st October 1978 - storyline park
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 11:02 PM »
The ceiling of Tea Cup Party looks especially nice at night. :)

I noticed that your ride signs are difficult to see in the darkness. Have you considered shining a light on them? Seems like it would add to the excitement and make the area appear more welcoming; just a thought. I'm curious to see what replaces Wonder Wheel. Sounds like it's going to be a challenge for the park, not being able to build anything tall enough to 'ruin' the view (picky townspeople).

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
John Delacruz Adventure Park - 22nd March 1979 - storyline park
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 06:08 PM »
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

22nd March 1979

Wow winter has flown by, there hasn't been much to report on in terms of things going on at the John Delacruz Adventure Park, however the other morning I was looking out one of our office windows towards the park and was trying to work out what was different. I'm a little ashamed to admit it took me about a minute to realise Wonder Wheel was now gone! it seems like they took a while to take it down crews had been dismantling it for weeks, I assume extra care was taken to ensure it was in great condition for its new home. Anyway this news gave me a reason to head down and see if anything else of note was going on, also to take a look at the new view from out the front of the park.

Well here it is, the new view you get as you approach the park, its weird now that the large sign by the entrance is really the only thing to draw you to the park. Its the only land mark in the park that can be seen from a distance. As a side note I see they have changed the lettering up there to let us know when we can come back and visit.

You cant really tell but through those trees you would normally be able to spot Zero G, even in its resting position, its not currently there at the moment. There is no cause for concern though as it will be back next season, the showmen who own it have removed it over winter, I presume to run it at some fairs whilst the park is closed.

Something that was quite interesting to me are the wooden beams that have been stored in one of the service areas of the park. By no means is that enough wood alone to build a wooden coaster but they have other storage facilities for more across the park. Perhaps they have run out of storage and have had to resort to leaving some here because they have so much of it! or maybe I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and making 5? Who knows, a wooden coaster for 1980 would be very impressive though I'm sure.

The proposed site for the new attraction is behind these trees and a big hill, I'm hoping there will be some more vantage points I can get to legally at some point to get a better scale of the area. Wonder if the local paper has the budget for a private helicopter tour?

Over at the east service entrance I noticed a large truck outside the parks main workshop/offices, the security guard said that it was picking up the last remaining parts of Wonder Wheel to be transported.

For these next two shots I had to make my way through lots of bushes and trees, I think technically I'm still on public land as I know Edward Delacruz only has the rights to purchase this land and doesn't yet own it, I hope he doesn't mind me taking a few shots over the parks fences. Here is what used to be Wonder Wheels entrance, as of right now its been gated off and the sign has been removed, further back I can see the foundation has been removed but it doesn't look like anything is to be added to the empty space. 

I walked a little further round till I hit the west side of the park, any further and I know I would have been trespassing as next to me on the right behind all the trees and bushes is the area marked for expansion. From here we can see that the two other temporary rides here at the park have been removed for off season, this is for the same reason as Zero G.

So that will do it for my update today, the park doesn't seemed to have to much planned for next season no major changes at least unless you count the removal of Wonder Wheel. Its a shame that there doesn't seem to be a replacement ready for next season and means we will be down an attraction. However next year, 1980 is set to be a massive season for the park with a substantial investment seemingly on the cards which I'm sure will make up for nothing new this year. Thanks for reading everyone and ill be back at the park for opening day!

Till next time,

James Parker       

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
The quality of the park and the way the images are shown makes this look very realistic.

Offline zacharyshyguy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
What this amusement park was located at?
Zachary Lunsford

Offline Supernovae

• Celebrating creating
    • View Profile
    • Supernovae Productions
Wow. Very realistic for the late 70's. Also love the story telling.
Wonder what the early 80's will do for this park unless the height restrictions.
On paper we have the best team of the world! It's a pitty we don't play on paper...

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

1st May 1979

Hello everyone and welcome to the second season opener here at John Delacruz Adventure park! The winter seemed to drag on a bit here without any real news coming from the park other then the one trip I took down there to check out what was happening. To be honest the weather is normally pretty good over the winter too, maybe one day Mr Delacruz will extend the opening months, I'm certain there would be high demand, this park turned into the main tourist spot of the area last year.

I didn't get to the park for opening this morning, I kind of regret that now, apparently Mr Delacruz was outside the front gates welcoming guests. I'm still yet to meet the man, I do have correspondence with the management team running the park, however so far all my requests for an interview have been politely rejected.

Jumped straight in the line for a go on the Grand Carousel, as always a fun ride. I've mentioned it previously but this thing goes a lot faster then you'd expect.

Time for my first go on in the Bumpin Barn this season, I've never quite understood why people run to the cars, there is enough for everyone, maybe they know which ones go faster?

Something I didn't do last year was take some shots whilst riding the Connie Express, you get some interesting views of the park. I like the way it passes right next to some of the rides, it creates some good interactions between guests. I always give a little wave to people.

There was a decent turn out for opening day today, it didn't seem quite as busy as last year, I guess that is to be expected though. especially given the park is currently an attraction down with the loss of Wonder Wheel over the winter.

I noticed today and towards the end of last season that the park is attracting a lot more couples and young adults, originally most of the marketing for the park was aimed at families but the direction has changed a little to cater for everyone. It makes sense, of the 9 rides here 3 of them are very thrilling and cater for an older audience, plus the more diverse the ride line up is, the more people you attract. Does really make me wonder whats lined up for next year!

On the subject of next year, this crack in the fence was the only view I could get of what I presume to be land clearing! Fear not though, I am currently in talks with park about hopefully doing some kind of construction tour and to learn some more info about whats coming.

I mentioned over the winter that Round & Round, Swirl 'o' Planes and Zero G had been taken out for winter to travel to local fairs, well they are all back and operating today, I only took a go on Zero G and it was operating just the same as last year and from what I could see from the other two, there seemed to be no difference.

To round up the day I took a trip up to Wonder Wheels former location, in the last report I mistakenly said the foundation had been removed, this is not actually the case, its still there. There is also some building materials sitting on it, you cant really make them out form this shot. There is activity though on the foundation so hopefully we might have something to look forward to later in the season?

Thanks for joining me everyone for opening day 1979! I think today probably for shadows how I expect the rest of the season to go. I expect there to be a little bit of second season syndrome, the buzz of a new park has now worn off a little now and this season will be slightly tougher for the team working here, especially being down an attraction and with nothing new to bring people in. We shall see though I hope today is the start of another fantastic season for the park!

Till next time,

James Parker

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
3rd June 1979

Hello everyone, just a quick update from me and its quite exciting! I received some post from the John Delacruz Adventure Park today, enclosed was a message stating "Thanks for your continued support, we here at the John Delacruz Adventure Park really appreciate all you do to inform the locals of what our park has to offer. As a small token of our gratitude we'd like your paper to be the first to unveil our new limited time only 1979 attraction!) Along with this was a poster enclosed.

Well it looks like we will see a new attraction take Wonder Wheels spot! I have heard crowds have been a little lighter then expected this year so far, so a new ride just in time for summer should really help bring some more people in. Its an interesting choice, the fact that the poster states its only available for limited time leads me to believe it is another travelling ride that will only stay for the summer. Still its good to add another ride to the line up, a thrilling one at that too. Some research on the ride told me that The Zipper is an amusement ride invented by Joseph Brown under Chance Rides in 1968. Popular at carnivals and amusement parks ,it features strong vertical G-forces, numerous spins, and a noted sense of unpredictability.

Anyway that's it for this small update, ill be heading down to the park later in the month to check out Zipper and also update you on any progress with construction for 1980. I was speaking to one of my current sources, a guy who works for the maintenance team over the park, all he will tell me is that its going to be something huge in terms of scale when compared to most of the other rides at the park. My fingers are crossed for a coaster, hopefully a great wooden one, evidence so far seems to point in that direction. 

Till next time,

James Parker

great style to show off and display the work on this park

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
Replies

Spoiler (hover to show)

20th July 1979

Hello again everyone and welcome to another update on everything that is going on at the John Delacruz Adventure park. Zipper has recently opened at the park and the weather was fantastic today so I thought I would make the most of it and give it a go! The posters we had been sent ended up all over town and some local news stations had mentioned the new ride, Its not a major addition, but a new ride always draws attention and Edward really knows how to market them.

Before I even set foot in the park this afternoon I noticed something a little different about the service road over here on the west side of the park, its been extended towards the construction site, I assume this was done a while ago as ground work is well under way I just never noticed it before.

I arrived quite late today, as I only really dropped by to check out Zipper and maybe take a spin on a few of my favourites there is no real need for me to get here early. If I only visited once a year, I'd make more effort to spend all day at the park.

So here is the new view from the entrance of the park, obviously doesn't have quite the same impact Wonder Wheel did, but its still quite imposing! Its certainly going to offer a lot more thrills and intensity then Wonder Wheel did.

Before Zipper I wanted to grab some lunch, The Cookout is still one of my personal highlights of the park, although today the food outlets had extremely long lines, some more capacity is needed. I hear Edward had some kind agreement that he would not compete with local food establishments in the surrounding towns so they could draw customers from the park for lunch and after the park has shut. It does seem that most people prefer to stay at the park and eat though, perhaps we might see some other food options pop up in the not so distant future?

So it was time to go check out zipper, the ride actually reuses pretty much everything from Wonder Wheel in terms of queue, foundations and some signage, obviously the rides name sign has been changed.

So it is a temporary travelling ride, its just sits on top of the foundations of Wonder Wheel, which means the park now has 4 travelling rides. It is a very intense ride, Id never been on anything similar and it took me by surprise a bit! It had quite a long cycle too which made me a little queasy, still enjoyable and a solid addition for the summer.

The park itself was exceptionally busy today as you can see from this picture, the hot weather and the new ride seems to be having a great effect on the park, I was worried this season might see the park struggle a little but they seem to keep drawing people in.

So this is new! I hadn't heard anything about this signage being put up in front of these gates and I'm usually on the ball with these kinds of things, maybe they went up very recently! Well now we know behind these gates will sit a brand new roller coaster next year! I wonder what type it will be and how big it will be?

As I left the park I also spotted this! That's surely steel supports of some kind! It seems we might see some of the structure for the ride start to be erected in the next few weeks. I couldn't tell you what type of coaster it might be just by looking at those supports, could be anything? I hope we get some further announcements soon!

Well that was an interesting day at the park, I didn't stay long at all because of the crowds. In fact I only rode zipper, which like I said was a solid addition in my opinion, its 2 tokens a go which equates to 50 cents which is better value then the dollar it used to cost to ride Wonder Wheel, people also seemed to really enjoy it. The real exciting stuff though was the new signage in front of those gates and a truck full of metal supports. Seems very weird saying that but my excitement for next years addition was just pushed up a gear seeing some of it turn up at the park. I'll be back there soon to track more progress, thanks for reading!

Till next time,

James Parker 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:33 PM by Jake C »

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
The story has a nice flow to it, as does your writing style. Also, happy (upcoming) birthday, Jake C. :)

LOVE THE FILTERS YOU ARE USING TO MAKE THE AGE OF THIS PARK MORE REAL.

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
Replies
Spoiler (hover to show)

14th September 1979

Hello everyone, its been forever! I didn't visit the park over summer at all, I couldn't justify a visit after hearing the crowds had been massive all summer! apparently the park had been seeing between 2000 and 3000 guests daily, which is a huge amount for such a small park. There have been some negative reviews recently however, detailing the overcrowding and how it makes for an unpleasant day. I can see why, the park hasn't been designed for such a huge capacity, at least we will see expansion next year which should disperse the crowds a little.

I decided to take some of the guys from the office today, each month its someones turn to plan a social event, this month it was mine. What else would I want to do other then take them down to John Delacruz Adventure Park. A lot of them told me they hadn't been before to my surprise, I couldn't wait to show them.

We arrived early afternoon, its off season now so I expected light crowds, so we wouldn't need all day at the park. Saying that there was still a decent number of people here, it wasn't overly busy though which was nice.

I thought I'd first show the guys the West side of the park. Swirl 'O' planes immediately attracted their eyes, I hadn't been on in a while so I was happy to go on it first. Everyone liked it, none of them really seemed to care or notice that its just a travelling ride, to give the park credit its quite nicely integrated.   

The big Twist had a bit of a queue, The group wanted to give it a go. I was happy to skip out on this one, gave me some time to take in the park a bit and also I was right next to the construction site for the new roller coaster!

You can just about make out some support columns in the distance, they are white and topped with a red connector for the track. I know progress is coming along nicely, I was supposed to be allowed some kind of construction tour however the park hasn't gotten back to me on that as of yet. I still haven't got enough to go on to work out what exactly is being built, my assumption is a looping roller coaster built by the manufacture Arrow but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Its still weird to me that Zipper is now the back drop for the park, its not quite as iconic but it bought in the crowds over summer and did its job. Its going to continue to operate till the park closes for winter then will be moved on. I've already heard the park has big plans for 1981 for even more expansion, with their recent successes, I do not blame them.

I've never really shown you guys this before, mainly because its not overly interesting. The park has a large sheltered area behind the staff room with lots of picnic tables, its there so people who bring there own food to the park have a place to eat it.

I took the group up to the east side of the park, it was completely dead which was weird, it was us the staff and few other groups. We were able to get on Tea Cup Party and Zero G pretty quickly.

See no lines! we made the most of this and took a couple of spins, as i mentioned earlier plans have already been made to develop the east side with a signature attraction in 1981, so we will have even more construction to follow!

Lastly we took a go on Zipper, I was actually worried it wasn't operating a I hadn't seen it cycle, turns out again there was just no one on it. I took an extra go as I knew I might not get a chance to ride again, its still a great adrenaline rush, probably the scariest ride at the park.

And that was it for the day at John Delacruz Adventure Park, it was really fun to show the park to some people who hadn't been before, they all seemed pretty excited when I told them that the place was expanding and a lot of them were excited to bring there families back next year. I think we were lucky to catch the park on a quiet day as it meant we could really make the most of our day without much stress. Thanks for reading everyone!

Till next time,

James Parker

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:33 AM by Jake C »

Offline Jake C

• View Profile
31st October 1979

So today marks the end of another successful season by all accounts at the John Delacruz Adventure Park. My inside source tells me that over 180,000 people visited the park over the course of 180 days this season which is an increase on last season. I for one expected to see less people visit so I'm really glad I was proven wrong. The park seems to like to extend its opening hour for the last day of the season, so I decided to clear my diary and head down for the evening.

Something eagle eye readers might already notice is that Zipper has already been removed, I had heard it had gone. I also heard that this was to get a head start and prepare the area for next season when construction will begin on another new ride. 

This view really does change a lot, a year ago we had Wonder wheel as a back ground, last month we had Zipper, I wonder what we will get next.

I took a stroll up to the former entrance of Zipper, and to my surprise I noticed they have removed everything. The foundations, the queue line and the signage all completely gone. It seems they really do want to get a head start.

Connie express has actually been closed for the last few weeks, the main reason being that a lot of the construction fencing has been removed around the new roller coaster construction site, annoyingly the Connie Express would have gotten me a great view of whats going on over there, however the park have decided that they are not ready for us to see it yet. I've also heard that it might be rerouted in time for next season, again due to construction taking place here in the east side of the park.

Before it got too dark I wanted to head over to the other side of the park to check out construction of the new roller coaster. I knew track had started to be installed and from here we can make out some of it, on the left we have a lift hill from what I can see. You really cant see much else of the ride at all from anywhere, its so hidden away. The park are planning on a full announcement some point over the off season where we will hopefully find out the name and some details, we really dont know anything at this point.

Its nice to see the park has made some effort into adding some more lighting, makes the signs for attractions a lot easier to see. On another note you can tell that the late closing has drawn out quite a lot of locals tonight, lines for rides where pretty long.

Bumpin Barn always has a great atmosphere at night, it features some really cool lights and they play some great songs whilst you speed round.

My last ride of the night was a spin on Zero G, again its looks fantastic at night with all the lights. This, Swirl 'O' planes and Round & Round are set to be removed the season after next, it makes you wonder how different the park might look in 2 years!

On my way out I tried to get a picture of some of the new coaster, which is behind these trees. The darkness didn't help, but you literally cant it see from anywhere. It makes me a tad worried that it wont be the huge thrill roller coaster I was hoping for, the lift hill did look kind of tall from what I could see from in the park though. I guess we will have to wait and see!

Till next time,

James Parker