Forum Changes Revised

• 12 replies

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
Forum Changes Revised
« on: June 23, 2020, 09:00 PM »
As many of you have probably noticed, there have been some changes to the forums. Do to server changes, I had to update and re-install the forums. Nothing ever goes smoothly, as I had to make several changes due to the fact that some of the mods and the old themes are no longer compatible with the updated forums. The classic and dark themes were completely broken, and I tried and tried to get them working, with no success.

After much re-configuring and re-installing over again, I finally decided to revert the forums back to the pre-updated version. This fixed the classic and dark themes! :D

During this process, I moved all members to the newer Default theme, as it was unaffected by the changes. So if you were using the classic or dark theme, feel free to switch back. You can choose which theme you want to use by either going to the Home page and and using the Theme Changer (at the top of the left column), or go to your profile and change the theme by clicking on "Look and Layout" under the "Modify Profile" heading.

One change that remains is that there is no longer an actual front page. I kept getting errors. So now, the home page shows all the boards of the forum, as well as the Theme Changer, Links, and Recent Posts on the left column. When you click on the Forum tab at the top menu, or simply go to one of the boards, the left column will disappear. Everything else should be working the way it always has. If you notice anything that isn't working correctly, please let me know.

Re: Forum Changes Revised
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:22 PM »
thx for all the work you do to keep this site up and running.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, shyguy. I figured something was brewing, as things weren't looking/working as expected the last couple of days. I was wondering if the differences were maybe that I accidently changed something on my computer. Now I know. I appreciate still being able to use the Classic theme. :)  I think I'm the only one who still uses it. :-\  It has its problems/limitations but it's what I'm used to; I know where everything is and what everything looks like, at a glance. Plus it's a little easier on the eyes than the default theme. I'm gonna miss not seeing someone's park image on the Home page. Maybe, perhaps, possibly, an image could be displayed elsewhere? So far, I haven't noticed anything different from how it used to be.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 07:07 AM »
I was wondering if something was going on. Glad to see continued love and care for this community!

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 07:11 AM »
ShyGuy, the see new replies doesnt seem to be working?
Unless the server is still under stress?

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 12:25 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into it. But to be honest, I'm not sure there's anything I can do as I believe the server disables certain scripts to keep the server load down.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 01:51 AM »
No problem. I knew you mention mobile not being a thing too.

Offline toofpikk

• I am this forums noob.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 04:09 AM »
Hey Shyguy, just echoing Ieddiez about the new replies option. this wouldn't be a problem if you could go back on your profile and 'show posts', but I get the same error there too, 'Please try again later. This member's posts are not currently available due to high load on the server..'

Cheers!

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 03:00 AM »
I am also noticing a huge increase of server load errors due to high stress. I never ever saw one before. Is the server not as powerful as the previous? Do you happen to have statistics logging in the background?

Also, was there a Mobile version that used to load? I might be mistaken.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 01:27 PM »
The default theme is the mobile theme. We moved from a VPS server, which got way too expensive, to a shared server. It's a top tier shared server, and a site like this with light traffic should not need anything more than that. I still don't know why the search functions aren't working. Still looking into it, but we may just have to live with it.

Offline shyguy

• Theme Parkologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:39 PM »
I found the issue.  :D  I had to disable load balancing for the forums. Search functions, including viewing new posts, should all be working now!

Offline Redhair

• Can't... Stop... Playing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Lovely to see you still put this amount of work so we can enjoy the work of others!

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 04:11 PM »
The default theme is the mobile theme. We moved from a VPS server, which got way too expensive, to a shared server. It's a top tier shared server, and a site like this with light traffic should not need anything more than that. I still don't know why the search functions aren't working. Still looking into it, but we may just have to live with it.

Thats great! Thank you so much. I still get it displayed as desktop on my phone. Small price.