Are comments on your park projects a deciding factor for posting? Why or why not

• 17 replies

Offline loopycoasterfan

• Conceptualize our world
    • View Profile
I don't want to come off as a jerk to anyone, just more of a curiosity question if anything. Are comments/feedback a deciding factor for you when posting your projects on sgw? I know some people might not feel an incentive to post anything considering how quiet the sgw boards have been lately.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
So far, getting comments on my threads has not been a factor to me; as far as whether to post my creations or not. Having said that, I definitely enjoy getting comments on my posts; it helps to keep the creative juices flowing, and the comments add to the sense of community. I knew that when I stopped being a lurker and registered here in 2018 that things had already gotten pretty quiet; at least in the RCT forum. So, from the get-go I wasn't expecting many replies. I hope that my posts amuse/entertain the SGW community; feedback helps me know if I'm going in the right direction.

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
Any feedback helps. If someone posts horrible replies on purpose then they have no place being on these forums.

The responses have dried up in the last year or so but it's still nice to show what I have been working on.

Post away..

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
It depends on what my project is. If its a storyline, nothing makes me excited to continue when people jump into the story of my park. If I'm just building something then sometimes feedback, is helpful. But otherwise having fun with what I'm making keeps my motivation and inspiration going. Interesting topic though.

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
For posting, yes! The creations i make for myself, it's as easy as that. If others enjoy it, then that's really cool. But thats not a motivating factor when playing a game.

However, when i wanna make posts here, i put in time and effort on the subject, on the thread. Now comments are the only way to measure interest in your project. So why keep on posting, when there seems to be no interest?

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
In general I will say no. I know I have been absent a lot thanks to being a college senior during a really bad time in history. I post on here and some of my social media pages to get a wide audience, but even on there I do not get many comments, but that is okay. I used to try to set "goals" for posting monthly/weekly/etc and I think I am going to go back to doing that because it sort of starts a chain reaction and less projects go dark. I see a few familiar faces in this thread and I agree with many of your statements, and we can all come together and try to get more exposure for all projects to begin an even larger reaction.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
While comments and feedback are always appreciated, they are not the sole deciding factor on whether I post an update. Like many above have said, it is a nice thing to have because it adds to the community vibe and provides engagement in your projects. In my case I love feedback especially to make sure I am doing my Universal Studios Recreation accurately. Great question!  :)

i would say no for the most part. I'm making what I'm making mostly for me, but love to share to help inspire others. Problem with my work is that by the time I post most of what I'm working on...its been months since I actually did that work...so going back and changing something is just not in the cards for me. Some of my more recent projects are not so behind, so suggestions can work out better. If anything, I take what people say and learn for the future.

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Building and rebuilding visions
    • View Profile
I kinda feel different from everyone else. While I don't post my projects solely for comments, comments and feedback is what kinda makes your projects have a sense of life to it. I think of the biggest things on a site like sgw is you kinda get this sense of community when you posts and when you receive very little to no feedback, it doesn't motivate me to post another update just to sit there and be deserted. I know to some who might be reading this might sound selfish but if I'm being brutally honest, there's really no point in posting if you get very little feedback or comments. That's what makes forums so unique from social media sites is that you get this sense of belonging when you share something and to see it sit there with very little interest is like having 2 people come along driving an old car, only to abandoned it several weeks later. The fact that the activity on sgw has been low for a while is not helping matters and is kinda proving my point. :( It isn't like back in 2014 where there was project after project after project. You'd think with this pandemic going on, more people would be active but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't know, maybe I'm being cynical. 

Make the magic happen

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Lets make shyguys world great again! MSGA! ;)

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
@planetthrilldude57- I think most of us agree with what you're saying about feedback and comments. They are always welcome and help us decide what to post in future updates to our threads. I think all we're saying is that we would post our projects anyway, with/or without the feedback, because it's something we ourselves enjoy working on. Plus, even without comments, I'm sure there are many lurkers who enjoy reading and looking at our projects. (I used to be one of them.) :)  Still, it does feel nice when you get acknowledgement for your hard work, time, and creativity.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
Lets make shyguys world great again! MSGA! ;)
Not gonna lie I used to want to say that all the time, but worried it would cause a little bit of trouble  :n00b:

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
^ Wise lad. :yes:

I kinda feel different from everyone else. While I don't post my projects solely for comments, comments and feedback is what kinda makes your projects have a sense of life to it. I think of the biggest things on a site like sgw is you kinda get this sense of community when you posts and when you receive very little to no feedback, it doesn't motivate me to post another update just to sit there and be deserted. I know to some who might be reading this might sound selfish but if I'm being brutally honest, there's really no point in posting if you get very little feedback or comments. That's what makes forums so unique from social media sites is that you get this sense of belonging when you share something and to see it sit there with very little interest is like having 2 people come along driving an old car, only to abandoned it several weeks later. The fact that the activity on sgw has been low for a while is not helping matters and is kinda proving my point. :( It isn't like back in 2014 where there was project after project after project. You'd think with this pandemic going on, more people would be active but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't know, maybe I'm being cynical. 
I'm not saying I don't like comments. I agree. They help the community thrive and exist as I comment often on other's work. I was just trying to say that I don't let comments....good or bad...influence the work and play that I want to do. Usually because I'm so far gone already that it would be total reworking if I were to go back and change anything.

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
I'm not saying I don't like comments. I agree. They help the community thrive and exist as I comment often on other's work. I was just trying to say that I don't let comments....good or bad...influence the work and play that I want to do. Usually because I'm so far gone already that it would be total reworking if I were to go back and change anything.

I agree with this.

I don't think I have changed my designs after feedback as it's done and I am already a week or so ahead of 'the story' etc.

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Building and rebuilding visions
    • View Profile

I see where your coming from and sorry if I my statement sounded a little harsh. My main point was that posting a project now isn't like it was 5 years ago where you would get flooded with responses and feel extra motivated/inspired by the communities comments and feedback. It just doesn't feel the same now because of how inactive so many member's have become but I respect your perspective.

Make the magic happen

Offline Supernovae

• Celebrating creating
    • View Profile
    • Supernovae Productions
Personally it is more a time factor that the needs of comments to post up here.
I like to have comments and interaction from you all on my builds.

But to be honest my projects are allready toughed out fully when I start one.
I take suggestions to use on future projects but it will have a small chance of applying on running projects.

I changed my postings sequence due to time management.
Beside my planet coaster projects I do a lot more like visiting themeparks, collecting vinyl records, cycling
and love to spend time with the family playing table games.

Never the less if I have time to check out all new creations here I allways try to shout out as much to encourage the artist of the subject :)
On paper we have the best team of the world! It's a pitty we don't play on paper...

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
I have reacted to this topic before, but recent experiences have made me aware, how much replies and feedback (good or bad) mean to me. So i created a park. My first full size park, where i tried to take care of every element of a theme park. I started in February (come Corona outbreak) and i loved every minute of creating this. And i really did this as a way to entertain myself. I didn't even mention this park until JUNE.

It is however 6 months of a life to create something like this. So yeah, you're proud of this creation, it is your baby. Naturally you would like to hear, other peoples opinions, and see that youre park is getting lot's of downloads. In my case, i had to even make quadrupple posts in my park topic at one point, because no one was reacting. Right now, a week after release, i got only 19 downloads. And after the post where i told it was released, literally nobody reacted to the topics here, and on the Frontier forums. Nothing. No one.

I gotta admit, even though i created this park for myself and my own entertainment, this still does suck actually. It's like having a baby, you sending out birth anouncement cards, and literally no one calls or visits to come see it. Sure it's my baby, and me (and the partner) made one, because WE wanted to. But still... it would have been nice to get some acknowledgement there.

And thats how comments do seem to work. It's not reason why you make the creations, but when you do and no one comments, that does suck a bit. And i think it's the opposite of what a community should be. And on the contrary of the baby analogy, here you are welcome to provide critisism. (Never talk smack about an actual baby though :D)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 05:22 AM by AnubisLive »