• 16 replies

Offline gomantria

• Morrison Family Representative
    • View Profile
Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2012 Announcement]
« on: July 11, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Appalachian Adventure
April 24, 2010
In 2007, Six Flags abandoned their property in Roane County, WV which was known as "Six Flags Appalachian Adventure." The park originally opened in 1964 under the ownership of the Morrison Family with the slogan "Beyond Nature!" highlighting the pristine nature of the property. Now that Six Flags has emerged from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection and a settlement has been reached between the County and Six Flags, a search for a new owner has begun.

Before Six Flags announced they were abandoning the property, they had already removed Deja Vu.

All they wanted before totally abandoning West Virginia was Superman: Ultimate Flight which opened in 2003.

Rumor has it, the old Morrison family has been in talks with the County for more than a year.

The County Board will announce the future of the property tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 12:59 PM by gomantria »

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Appalachian Adventure [2010 - An Uncertain Future]
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 08:21 AM »
Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see more.

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
The Morrison Family Resumes Ownership
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:09 AM »
April 25, 2010
MEMORANDUM: It is with great pleasure that the Roane County Board of West Virginia announces that the Morrison Family Corp. would assume ownership of the "Appalachian Adventure" Amusement and Recreation Park which has existed at the 1220 CHARLESTON RD, SPENCER, WV 25276 address. Pursuant with settled legal action, all property, including title and rights were formally surrendered by Six Flags Entertainment, Inc. on April 12, 2010. The Morrison Family Corp. announced that Elliot Morrison would assume the role of Director of Morrison's Appalachian Adventure. The Morrison Family Corp. opened the property in 1964 under a land-grant from the State of West Virginia. Morrison's Appalachian Adventure intends to reopen in the Spring of 2011

Hello there, I'm Elliot Morrison! My father, Scott Morrison, was at the helm when this park was first opened to the public in 1964 and I am looking forward to once again opening this majestic property with our family name. There is a lot of work to be done, both to restore the property and create new experiences for our guests.

Many of the beautiful perennial gardens have become overgrown over the past few years.

We're already preparing, not only for 2011, but for 2012 and beyond!

I remember when our family first installed Boomerang. It was only a few years before we sold the park.

I know lots of West Virgnians remember getting absolutely soaked on Fingal's Flume

Six Flags certainly added a very thrilling character to the park.

Sometimes, I just prefer a classic ride on the Morrison Mine Co.

We won't have branding rights for Gotham City and Six Flags took the Batman trains. The future of this area is uncertain.

I'm so excited to tell you about our plans for the future very soon!

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Digging the update! Lovely logo as well!

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
This is looking awesome! I can tell you put a lot of effort into realistic looking coasters! Can't wait to see what you can do with the scenery around it!

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
Digging the update! Lovely logo as well!
Thanks for the continued support :D

This is looking awesome! I can tell you put a lot of effort into realistic looking coasters! Can't wait to see what you can do with the scenery around it!
I can't wait until the story really begins to develop, great attractions only go so far!

- - -
July 26, 2010
It's a hot summer in West Virginia, but despite the temperatures, our crews have been hard at work preparing the park for the upcoming season. Only a few days until we announce the attractions lineup for 2011!

We're retrofitting new energy efficient lighting on all of our attractions!

Boomerang will be back to its original red and white color scheme.

No need to run the bulls anymore, John Henry's Hammer will show you its might!

We'll need almost 1,000 gallons of paint to bring John Henry to life again!

See you soon!

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
Nice job on the Boomerang supports! Looks very promising  :up: :up:

Offline gomantria

• View Profile

August 1, 2010

SPENCER, WV – Morrison's Appalachian Adventure is most delighted to welcome guests into our park for the 2011 season, beginning Saturday, March 12, 2011! The Morrison Family announces plans to add a state-of-the-art roller coaster for the 2011 season. VOLTAGE is a gravity-defying launched roller coaster featuring cutting-edge LSM technology.

“Appalachian Adventure has a long history of introducing nostalgic rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Elliot Morrison, Director of Morrison's Appalachian Adventure.

“Voltage is a unique coaster in our lineup and it will be the first of many major capital investments into this property. It’s like nothing you have ever experienced before. We are thrilled to bring this revolutionary launched coaster to our guests for the 2011 season.”

Voltage is designed by acclaimed Swiss manufacturer Intamin, renowned for their record-breaking intense roller coasters. The launched coaster will make its home near the front of the park.

Construction has already commenced and completion is anticipated before year's end. Voltage will be open to thrill-seekers on opening day!

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
September 20, 2010
Today, we reached a major milestone! All of the rides and attractions we will open for 2011 have been inspected and certified as safe and operable by the State of West Virginia. When Voltage is completed by December, the park will be fully ready for your first visit back!

"Abandoned" will ride again with newly refurbished trains!

It's an interesting coaster, full of head-choppers and obstacles to navigate.

Just between us, I've already been splashed a few times on Fingal's Flume!

Watching American Eagle testing from the track was exhilarating!

Sometimes, a walk on the midway is just enough.

The thrills are almost here!

Only seven months before we see your smiles!

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2010 - Reopening Approaches]
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Opening Day + March 12, 2011

Today was finally the day-- we're open! It was just as magical as we had all hoped and our guests gave us rave reviews. Shattering all previous opening day attendance records, it's clear to us that West Virginians and Americans from across the region are just as excited as we are about Appalachian Adventure.

Guests flooded the entrance plaza just past 8:30am.

By 10am, lots of queues were at or near capacity!

Voltage was an absolute hit with all of our bravest thrill seekers!

With nine total inversions, it's no surprise there's a roll right out of the station.

One guest said, "I can't believe how quickly everything came at me, it was so fast but so much fun!"

This ain't your grandad's corkscrew!

I could watch you all get soaked on Fingal's Flume for hours!

Red side is leading, who will win?

So many rides, so little time!

The Morrison Mine Company is open for riders!

A family favorite, for sure.

Young Monica is looking forward to riding the bigger coasters when she's tall enough.

George said, "I've been to Cedar Point dozens of times, Voltage convinced me to give Appalachian Adventure a visit and I don't regret it!"

If the rest of the season goes as well as today, we're golden.

see you soon,
Elliot
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 06:58 PM by gomantria »

Offline MoJo

• View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2011 - Opening Day!]
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 11:10 PM »
I am absolutely in love with your gardens, they look fantastic! Wish we got more photos from overhead though, would love to see more of an overview of the progress so far.

Offline jlac55

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24 AM »
That custom boomerang looks awesome with the custom supports!  :)

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 04:49 PM »
I am absolutely in love with your gardens, they look fantastic! Wish we got more photos from overhead though, would love to see more of an overview of the progress so far.
Ask and you shall receive!
-----
April 7, 2011

I can't believe it's time, but we're already beginning construction for the 2012 season. It's going to be a big one, I can guarantee you that! I got one of those new drone camera things, who'd have thought the park is more beautiful from the sky?

Soon this barren island will become the heart of the park...

Until then, the rest of the property is beautiful, too.

Our guests look like ants from up here!

It's kinda cool to see the open air around new developments, and older bushy trees around older rides.

So much room to grow!

Where will you adventure next?

Stop by soon!

Offline MoJo

• View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2011 - Drone Shots]
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 11:47 PM »
The terrain and foilage work is fantastic! The dueling wooden coaster is also really majestic looking from up above, so sleek and smooth. Excited to see what you do with that large land mass in the middle of that lake.

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2011 - Drone Shots]
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2020, 07:18 PM »
June 1, 2011

Caught this shot of John Henry's Hammer as the sun was setting this evening. My, it sure is beautiful to walk the grounds!

Offline gomantria

• View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [June 2011]
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 08:40 AM »
July 14, 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Appalachian Adventure continues its multi-year reconstruction strategy with the announcement of its largest capital investment ever. Medieval Isle and Adventure Campground will open to guests in 2012, restoring the connection between both sides of the property as well as restoring nature in the former "Gotham City" area. The investment of $41 Million stands as a testament of the Morrison Family's commitment to West Virginia and Appalachian Adventure.

Medieval Isle will breathe new life into the park, making it easier to traverse the entirety of the property.

Guests young and old will marvel at the attention to detail and sheer magnitude of the new island!

Wider queues will make your experience more enjoyable while you wait to ride our new attractions.

Sandy's Magic Track will excite and terrify you!

Dragon's Manor will give the little ones a coaster of their own!

You can holler all you want, the Dragon is in control.

Families can enjoy a stellar meal at one of our seven new restaurants and shops around the Isle!

Giant Wheel is a custom ferris wheel that offers both thrilling and comforting experiences!

Our vision for the future of Appalachian Adventure is expressed within this project.

The Adventure Campground will offer accommodations for about 40 guests per night in cabins and another 40 in personal tents.

Need a walk to relax during a long day of thrills? Take some time to walk the Adventure Trail!

With more than 100 mature trees transplanted, we are proud to restore this area to its original glory!

Walks to cap-off an evening of adventure will become a staple family tradition.

2012 will be a year for the record books!

Offline Germs

• Respectable Punk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison's Appalachian Adventure [2012 Announcement]
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 06:40 PM »
That village is adorable! I can picture myself spending some time exploring there.