Still Playing?

• 30 replies
Still Playing?
« on: July 17, 2020, 09:02 AM »
Hey Everyone!

I just logged in for the first time in over 2 years and wondered if Planet Coaster is still a thing that excites you? Are people still building? Are there any new parks happening while in COVID lock down? I decided to take on Canada's Wonderland again since it is the only park close to me in Ontario Canada. This time with a twist. Canada's Wonderland will have been sold (once again) Originally CBS sold it to Cedar Fair L.P back in 2006. Now the park has been sold to a group of Planet Coaster creators who have formed a company and will be re-imagining Canada's Wonderland with a few twists. Hope all is well with everyone. Stay safe and keep creating. I will post more as I continue with the park.

Offline AnubisLive

• Rotterdam
    • View Profile
Re: Still Playing?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 02:00 AM »
Well i got back to playing, but i don't feel there's much excitement over the game anymore. You can tell by the ammount of interest in ongoing projects. I still think the game, despite it's flaws is a real conduit for creativity. I don't know many games that allows so much freedom in building open worlds. So yeah, still love it. My own project is a real COVID baby. I worked from home since February (and will keep doing this till september) And my work relies heavy on incoming tasks. When there's less tasks, i got time to have Planet Coaster running on my own computer. It does help that i bought a new computer last summer, which is able to run the game a lot better then the previous one. Maybe, that's why there's still enthousiasm here for the game. I only really started to use the game since last summer.

Looking forward to your creation! I've seen footage of Canada's Wonderland, it looks really cool!

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 01:55 PM »
I am still playing. I post less often as I have less to show for it, but I am very much 'still here'.

Offline griengl

• hey fellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:34 PM »
yeh, i am.

Offline zacharyshyguy

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Yes, I still playing Planet Coaster.
Zachary Lunsford

Offline Fisherman

• I'm a nice guy-REALLY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 05:52 AM »
I am for sure!   :D

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Why stop after after twenty plus years?!?!

I think I was one of the first guys to buy RCT1, 2, 3, and PC, and haven't put the game down since.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 11:51 AM »
Unfortunately, no. I tried getting into the game about 2 years ago with my brand new pc and I just couldn't get into it. In my humble opinion, it just doesn't have the same charm as the rct trilogy and parkitect. I just felt like it took forever to make buildings that were decent and the steep learning curve is just something I didn't have the patience for.  :-\

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 05:59 PM »
I am going to take a stab at a restart. I posted some more thoughts over on the RCT3 board regarding the general situation but I will have something to show either today or tomorrow. I hope I get some people interested as I really would love to finish this project but don't know how'd I fell if no one responded.

Check out my latest projects!
Ride | Custom Scenery  | Park

Offline Wes

• Daddy, what's an update?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:58 PM »
Yes, but I split my time between Planet Coaster and a lot of other games now. Right now, I'm playing a lot of Planet Zoo and Animal Crossing. Factor work into that and I don't always have much time to spend in Planet Coaster.

I do have some projects that are a little ways along, but not really anything worth showing yet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:20 PM by Wes »
The Game

Offline JCat

• 3D Studio Maxing Out
    • View Profile
    • Trackworx
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Welcome to my world. I get super enthused, start big projects, then crap happens in real life that throws me off course and I disppear for months, or years. Last year, my young dog passed while I was really getting into deeper levels of the ThemeMaker's toolkit. That did me in for many months, and the thought of RE-learning TMT and 3DS Max turned me away. I wish I had the time and dedication I had back in the RCT3 days. Maybe Fisherman or CityTrader can cast a stick-around spell on me.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 02:05 PM »
"I cast a spell on you, and now you're mine!"   :D

Offline JKNori

• The one formerly known as Jackoasta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 06:05 AM »
I am still around, but I'm more or so focusing on the Thememaker's Toolkit side of things, though I'm willing to get a project done here or there.

Offline Walle_Epcot

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 11:20 AM »
I feel like Planet Coaster might be too good a creation in a way. RCT3 we had years of trying to make it beyond what the game was able to do then the CS game along and it went in to the stratosphere for years. PlanCO started off really with so much at our finger tips that it might have suffered from people not having to figure out having to do something challenging like a non-straight boxed paths in RCT. So, I feel like I need so much real world details in the builds that a single building can take hours/days/weeks.

Or in my case, I'm no longer in my 20s like when RCT3 came out and real life is going on where if I want to build stuff I have to wait for everyone to be sound asleep. I really can only build for my personal enjoyment and nothing I do seems to be post worthy. I do miss the sense of community we had back in the RCT1-3 days and it was something that youtube can't recreate.

But, that's just my middle aged voice  :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Quote: "nothing I do seems to be post worthy."

Try posting something you've done anyway, Walle_Epcot. :)  What's the worst that can happen? Okay, so if it's truly bad we'll ridicule you and you'll have to get plastic surgery and enter the witness protection program. :P  Orrr, we'll just give you our honest opinions and be supportive, like we always do here. :)

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Never left ;)

Offline robotnikchicken

• A dimwitted sidekick, I think not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Nope. Tried playing for 2 months and got bored after 10 minutes. Parkitect is better to navigate through and got more enjoyment out of it so Parkitect won me over.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Still playing, its hard to do it as much as I did when I was younger. Being an adult comes with less time.

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 04:48 AM »
Yes it does!!!

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 06:55 PM »
unfortunately.... :(

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 01:24 AM »
Nope. Tried playing for 2 months and got bored after 10 minutes. Parkitect is better to navigate through and got more enjoyment out of it so Parkitect won me over.

I booted Parkitect the other day. Couldnt get over how clunky it still felt.

Offline KickAir8P

• ˙ʇɥƃᴉs ɟo ʇno ʇsnɾ 'ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpᴉs ɹǝɥʇO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2020, 11:35 AM »
I've been test-playing a tweaked scenario (mainly an excuse to replay a fave), but today PlanCo crashes during startup.  Other Steam games are doing fine, but not PlanCo.   :scared:  I'll put in a trouble report if it's still happening later.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 08:25 AM »
I've been test-playing a tweaked scenario (mainly an excuse to replay a fave), but today PlanCo crashes during startup.  Other Steam games are doing fine, but not PlanCo.   :scared:  I'll put in a trouble report if it's still happening later.

Verify the game cache!

Offline KickAir8P

• ˙ʇɥƃᴉs ɟo ʇno ʇsnɾ 'ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝpᴉs ɹǝɥʇO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Verify the game cache!

Good advice, but Steam crashes when I try.  I've done a back-up, uninstalled both PlanCo and Steam, and am reinstalling.  But I'd like to delete the cache, and I'm not sure which of the file locations I've been told to back up has it.  From a post of Joël's on the old forum:

Code: [Select]
    I have created a list for cases like this, which may be of help;

Location of local Planet Coaster game files

Saved parks, blueprints and campaign progress
        "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Saves"
        Campaign progress
        "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Saves\uniqsave_player-"
        Game settings (audio, controls, game specific like recently used items and autosave interval)
        "%userprofile%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\12345678901234567\Config"
        Game settings (GUI version, GUI scale, graphics and performance rating check)
        "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\Config_Local"
        Billboard images and webm-videos
        "%userprofile%\Documents\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\UserMedia"
        Custom music
        "%userprofile%\Documents\Frontier Developments\Planet Coaster\UserMusic"
        Downloaded items from the Steam Workshop
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\493340"

Additional info

Replace "12345678901234567" by the unique number of your Steam ID.
        Replace "Saved Games" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Saved Games = Opgeslagen spellen).
        Replace "Documents" by the folder name used in your version of Windows if you are not using an English version of Windows (for example, Dutch translation for Documents = Documenten).
        You can paste the address without quotes in the address bar to open the folder.
        Information about how to use billboards can be found here.
        The location of downloaded items from the workshop may vary depending on the location of the Steam installation.

Offline robotnikchicken

• A dimwitted sidekick, I think not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 11:30 AM »
I booted Parkitect the other day. Couldnt get over how clunky it still felt.
I don't perceive Parkitect as being "clunky", it just gets takes some time getting used to if your not accustomed of the dramatic shift of the old school UI and mechanics of rct1 and 2. I grew up playing rct1 the most and the campaign aspect of the game is what really what kept me coming back. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my fair share of sandbox based games every once in a while but for me personally, the campaigns really challenge you in that you have to utilize different unique environments in each scenario and really pushes your creativity in ways that sandbox doesn't. To each their own.

guest17873

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2020, 01:14 PM »
i stopped playing pc about shortly after the adventure pack dlc. got tired of all the tiny rides added to dlc when they should have been in the start, the lack of shops (there's like 7?) and no custom shop support. also the coaster designer is really bad. the scenario editor also sux you have to always select a pre made map.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 07:51 AM »
i stopped playing pc about shortly after the adventure pack dlc. got tired of all the tiny rides added to dlc when they should have been in the start, the lack of shops (there's like 7?) and no custom shop support. also the coaster designer is really bad. the scenario editor also sux you have to always select a pre made map.

Welcome. Interesting points here.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Always & forever!  I have two parks I want to finish up before PC2 is announced & revealed. 

Offline Elch

• Berlin, Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 11:03 AM »
Hey again SGW :) It‘s been a while.
I stopped working on my big project last year and hoped to return in 2020, but my life completely changed this year, not only because of the pandemic. Maybe I‘ll write about it in some other post eventually.

I touched PC for the first time in months yesterday, but I sadly can‘t get myself to put effort into this hobby at the moment. Maybe a new DLC or PC2 would give me the much needed impulse to start building again. I find PC as it is way too limited for realistic parks, especially when trying to create grown European parks, it‘s lacking loads of classic rides that would even fit into small parks of the 1970s.

Anyway, I‘m still considering resuming my big project, or maybe starting a smaller one. But if PC2 is around the corner, work on a big project with PC1 might be the wrong decision. Who knows. This insecurity is not exactly helping either.

Anyway, I thought it‘s time to say hi, I‘m still alive and looking at the game with half an eye these days. :)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Hi Elch. Nice to hear from you again. Half an eye is better than none, I suppose. ;)