Metropolis 1899 - A steampunk park reborn...

• 14 replies

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
Metropolis 1899 - A steampunk park reborn...
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:37 PM »
For the last 3 years I've been working upon a steampunk / retro-sci-fi themed park called Future Expo / Future World 1899. It's been built, demolished and rebuilt so many times that I even had a create a post purely to track which rides were released from which version of the park. The amount of times I restarted the park essentially became a bit of a joke.

LINK TO THE ORIGINAL PARK: https://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,19184.msg471933.html#msg471933

The reconstruction of the park over time was out of a sense of frustration to get it 'right'. The last iteration though became something different. Apart from a few structures, I binned almost everything. Though the broader theme was retained, it became immediately clear that what I had actually done was begin a new park.

In an effort to shed the skin of the previous park, and truly mark a new chapter in the development of the project, I would like to formally draw a line under Future World 1899.

Future World 1899 is no more.

Welcome to METROPOLIS 1899.

The broad theme is the same, but I want to breathe 'life' into the park. This is a city, with opticians, laundrettes, barbers with a rustic futuristic edge.

At present, the only 'returning' ride can be seen in the first image, with Hotel Futura making a return.

Also appearing is a recent 'challenge' ride I made, called The Invisible Man:

In terms of truly drawing a line under the unfinished saga of Future World 1899, I would like to create some videos / a video showing off the full details of the various abandoned versions. Depending on the reception to this I may also release the Steam Workshop park files of these previous versions.

Regards,

Heth.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolis 1899 - A steampunk park reborn...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 02:04 PM »
Beautiful man, just stunning! Digging the steam punk qualities!

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 03:40 PM »
So long to Future World 1899; hello to METROPOLIS 1899. The two cities look a lot alike, due to your unique and readily identifiable building style, Heth. I particularly like the upper parts of the buildings that jut out over the street below.

I just re-watched Hotel Futura- truly a wonderful accomplishment. Such fun! After re-watching The Invisible Man, I have an even greater appreciation for the story you laid out for us. :)

Offline RCT D!

• Creator of Grimestone Mine - The VAULT - Periculum
    • View Profile
    • RCT D! - YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Great to see this alive. I know about the problem to restart a park/ride. You have so many different ideas and in the end you are going to delete so much that you should restart. I like the new city a lot, looks more vivid. The image editing / the atmosphere of the area is so good. I re-watched both rides and had a lot of fun riding again.

Offline iEddiez

• Curly Hair, Glasses and a Sense of Humour
    • View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 01:53 AM »
This project is the Coaster Simulation of the DC:EU, reboot after reboot.

BUT - This is worth it!

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Steampunk cafe (containing a teacups ride) and airship with balloon ride.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Raising the Aeronauts ride (I think that's what it's called) up into the air makes it much more of a thrill ride, less tame. I love the tea/coffee cups. :)

Offline Nemmie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 12:59 PM »
This is already looking like my favourite version of your park. It still looks clean and crisp, but there's a slightly chaotic feeling which I absolutely love this time round. It feels more alive and exciting. I can't wait to see where you take us.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 03:59 AM »
Loving the new styles. Those cups looks great. I am getting real happy vibes from the park.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 02:36 PM »
Thanks guys.

First time on the game in over a month!

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Progress progress progress!

So I've added another 2 coasters to the park. A Dive Coaster and an Inverted Coaster are being added, both of which interact with the other coaster.

Offline iEddiez

• View Profile
    • Loud Adventures Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 04:16 AM »
Love the look of the Inverted coaster.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 02:57 PM »
You're a master at 'controlled chaos' in these parks Heth! 

In the hands of others this level of detail too often can become a somewhat busy mess, but here it all flows together and adds layer of richness.  Not everyone can pull that off, you've done so repeatedly.

Offline Hethetheth

• Hey!!! look here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 01:53 PM »
Thank you so much!

Taking a step outside the park, I've made some funky ticket booths (in the background looms the rather un-hidden show building of Hotel Futura).

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 03:55 AM »
You have me intrigued... it would be very unlike you to have guests entering the park to the back of a show building...  anxious to see what your plan for that is