RCT3: Complete Edition annouced for Switch and PC!

• 33 replies

Offline TheJewelOfJool

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
RCT3: Complete Edition annouced for Switch and PC!
« on: September 08, 2020, 07:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/frontierdev/status/1303317506061471745

This game was a massive part of my childhood and if it wasn't for RCT3, I might not have gotten into roller coasters. Seeing it get a new lease on life is amazing, especially considering it's gonna have better compatibility with newer hardware (hopefully this means performance increases as well).

Re: RCT3: Complete Edition annouced for Switch and PC!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 02:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/frontierdev/status/1303317506061471745

This game was a massive part of my childhood and if it wasn't for RCT3, I might not have gotten into roller coasters. Seeing it get a new lease on life is amazing, especially considering it's gonna have better compatibility with newer hardware (hopefully this means performance increases as well).

Looking into this--There's..a bigger thing to note.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 not only does no longer have it being published by Atart--but Roller Coaster Tycoon has been **completely** delisted off of Atari's site.

Very interested to see what Frontier does now with RCT3, and if this means anything for the future of the franchise going forward. Either way, excited to see RCT3 returning to Steam, and I'm hoping it means they'll be doing something in modding similar to Thememakers.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Nice to see Atari removed from the picture!

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Building and rebuilding visions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Looks like Frontier finally broke free from Atari's "curse". Glad to see this game getting the remastered treatment it finally deserves! Hopefully the new optimized pc version will support custom content.

Make the magic happen

Offline loopycoasterfan

• Conceptualize our world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Looking into this--There's..a bigger thing to note.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 not only does no longer have it being published by Atart--but Roller Coaster Tycoon has been **completely** delisted off of Atari's site.

Very interested to see what Frontier does now with RCT3, and if this means anything for the future of the franchise going forward. Either way, excited to see RCT3 returning to Steam, and I'm hoping it means they'll be doing something in modding similar to Thememakers.
Interesting. I wonder with Frontier now taking back the rights from Atari could do for the future of the rct series? This could end up in 2 ways the way I see it
1. Planet coaster becomes a one off game and Frontier makes a true sequel to rct3 (ignoring the abomination of rct world)
2. Planet coaster ends up becoming the spiritual series to the rct franchise

and regarding Frontier and Atari, I'm guessing they had a out of court settlement.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:19 PM by loopycoasterfan »

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 06:41 AM »
I think this is a great move, but it does raise questions on whether or not if custom content can be used. If so, I might be looking into this further, but I know I have the game heavily packed and have gotten a system down to a science. It will be interesting for sure.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 09:49 AM »
The last I heard was the 2018 suit Frontier had against Atari for not paying royalties, that's when the game was removed from Steam with Atari citing "expiring rights" as the reason.  I never heard the outcome of the suit, which was for in excess of 2 million (pounds or dollars, I don't recall), but Cris Sawyer had agreed to extent the franchise right to Atari until 2022 before that.  This perhaps was Atari's way of settling, since they've basically been broke for years.  Even if Frontier decides to retire the series, that's STILL better than allowing Atari to continue abusing it with crappy sequels.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Any updates on what we can expect from this optimization upgrade like ui changes?

Offline francescoaster

• Custom Content for Everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 01:25 PM »
If I got it right, I think this will be the good old RCT3 but optimized for modern hardware. So finally able to allocate more RAM, use an actual GPU for rendering, and have an actual benefit from multi core CPUs (and fixing that odd widescreen coaster-cam). I really hope old custom content OVLs (CTRs, CS, CFRs) will still work on this!

Offline TomDaBomb

• Lovin' life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 01:09 AM »
YAY!! Just as long as custom content still works. Maybe they can finally eliminate lagging.  :D

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 12:08 PM »
YAY!! Just as long as custom content still works. Maybe they can finally eliminate lagging.  :D
and hopefully eliminate long load times with how much content the game has to process.

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 03:18 PM »
If they do all the things that francescoaster suggested above, then yes, I would think that a lot of the lag would be a thing of the past. :)  Hopefully, that will also help the instability of large park files as well. However, I have serious doubts that existing custom content (or the Importer) will work with the revamped game because numerous address locations, etc. will probably be changed. Maybe not... we'll see. :-\

Offline curinir

• True nobility is being superior 2 your former self
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 09:11 PM »
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! All I want from this is for it to be 64 bit, with (virtually) no limits on amount of usable ram, cores etc, which would hopefully eliminate crashes, and to still be able to use all custom scenery. And of course be able to transfer old save files.

Offline Darknight

• Explore Our Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 08:31 AM »
This is really interesting for sure! If you are able to still use custom scenery with the game I will definitely be purchasing it! :)

Offline loopycoasterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Found gameplay footage of this on the switch today

Looks promising so far

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Interesting how most of it looks the same, but the various interfaces are different. I suppose the larger menu icons, etc. are to accommodate people playing the game on teeny tiny mobile device screens. Why anybody would do that, I have no idea. This game needs a BIG screen (IMO).

I wonder why they changed the Rotate key from 'Z' to 'Y'? Also, it looks like this new version will have the same problem as the old version when it comes to thumbnail icons of custom paths, and such, extending off the right edge of the screen (becoming unable to click on them), if you have too many of them. Then again, maybe custom content won't be a thing in this game. :mad:

And why did they do away with the regular cursor? Seems like that circle/dot thing, which is always in the center of the screen, might prove to be frustrating in some instances. I dunno, maybe not.

All in all, some things seem OK, some things seem worrisome. Too soon to tell, I guess.

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 06:09 AM »
Interesting how most of it looks the same, but the various interfaces are different. I suppose the larger menu icons, etc. are to accommodate people playing the game on teeny tiny mobile device screens. Why anybody would do that, I have no idea. This game needs a BIG screen (IMO).

I wonder why they changed the Rotate key from 'Z' to 'Y'? Also, it looks like this new version will have the same problem as the old version when it comes to thumbnail icons of custom paths, and such, extending off the right edge of the screen (becoming unable to click on them), if you have too many of them. Then again, maybe custom content won't be a thing in this game. :mad:

And why did they do away with the regular cursor? Seems like that circle/dot thing, which is always in the center of the screen, might prove to be frustrating in some instances. I dunno, maybe not.

All in all, some things seem OK, some things seem worrisome. Too soon to tell, I guess.

This is the Nintendo Switch version, I think the PC version will have about the same interface of the old RCT3...

Offline planetthrilldude57

• Building and rebuilding visions
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Found gameplay footage of this on the switch today

Looks promising so far
Sweet! Can't wait to take rct3 with me on the go.

Make the magic happen

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 09:18 PM »
This is the Nintendo Switch version, I think the PC version will have about the same interface of the old RCT3...

Ah. That makes sense. [JB slinks back into obscurity now. :-[ :P ]

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Tested the game.

Basically, nothing changes! The widescreen issue with coaster-cam is still there. Same for lags with large parks...
Of course nothing changes means it does still support custom content, since it's still basically a rebadged RCT3 platinum.

For curiosity I went to dump the game executable details, and I found it still is 32 bit.

So if you don't own RCT3 this can be good, but don't expect improvements from the old version.

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Tested the game.

Basically, nothing changes! The widescreen issue with coaster-cam is still there. Same for lags with large parks...
Of course nothing changes means it does still support custom content, since it's still basically a rebadged RCT3 platinum.

For curiosity I went to dump the game executable details, and I found it still is 32 bit.

So if you don't own RCT3 this can be good, but don't expect improvements from the old version.
Damn... so much for a "upgrade"  :(

Offline GreenCollarDrums

• #RootedInOakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 11:59 AM »
So I have a question: was anyone able to use their custom content on the PC version? Before I get this, that's the only thing I wanna know.
Yes.

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 12:28 PM »
I have tested all forms of custom content: CTs, CTRs, CFRs, Custom Scenery, Custom Paths, and terrain textures.
It works. But if you already have RCT3 with the expansions, I don't think you should get this... If you don't, then it can be a good deal to get it for free from Epic Games.

Offline loopycoasterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 01:42 PM »
I just saw a comparison video on youtube. Yeah, doesn't look like much has changed for the pc version (except for the hd enhancement). Feels like a very underwhelming effort by Frontier unfortunately.  :no:

Offline rct3isepic

• if Daft Punk approves. it's good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2020, 02:24 PM »
I have tested all forms of custom content: CTs, CTRs, CFRs, Custom Scenery, Custom Paths, and terrain textures.
It works. But if you already have RCT3 with the expansions, I don't think you should get this... If you don't, then it can be a good deal to get it for free from Epic Games.
it would also be useful if you don't have a copy of the game anymore or can't use your old copy

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10 AM »
I'm releasing a patched RCT3 Exe that fixes the CoasterCam glitch, both for standard RCT3 Platinum and Complete Edition...

Offline rct3isepic

• if Daft Punk approves. it's good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2020, 12:57 AM »
I'm releasing a patched RCT3 Exe that fixes the CoasterCam glitch, both for standard RCT3 Platinum and Complete Edition...
what was the glitch?

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2020, 02:24 AM »
Basically if you're playing on a widescreen monitor, when you enter the onboard camera the game is "stretched".

Offline zyned

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • www.zyned.nl
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 09:49 AM »

Oh, that would be awesome! That glitch annoys me big time.

Offline francescoaster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2020, 01:22 PM »
It's waiting for approval on CSDepot.

In the meantime you can download it from here.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w6eai6gjcd3q7wi/RCT3WideScreenFix.7z/file

README FOLLOWS:

Just replace you RCT3.exe with the right one for you.

Should be ok for:
1366x768
1600x900
1920x1080 (FullHD)
2560x1440 (2K)
3840x2160 (4K)
or resolutions with a similar aspect ratio.

If you are (still) using a 4:3 screen, you shouldn't use these EXEs because it will screw your CoasterCam up.

HUGE THANKS TO NULANO on Steam for this mod. I'm just releasing this for people that doesn't feel at ease with Hex editors.

If you want to do this yourself here's the guide (keep in mind that the offsets are different for the Complete Edition EXE):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2238326236

Use RCT3_PlatinumPatched.exe for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum (Old release)
Use RCT3_CEPatched.exe for RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Complete Edition (New release).

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
---------------------

These EXEs are from the Steam version. I'm not sure they will work with the retail version.

Always check file size before replacing the EXE. Remember to enable Large Address Aware after applying this patch.

If you've got an original exe for the retail version, or the filesize doesn't match, PM me on SGW and send me a copy of your RCT3.exe, so I can patch that too!

Tested and working, but NO WARRANTY. Released AS IS.
Keep a backup of your RCT3.exe and stay safe!