Re: Disney's Pleasure Island
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 07:52 PM »
Spot on! Cannot wait for more!  :D

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 04:24 AM »
I've been drooling over unauthorized sneak peeks of this work for a short while...it's amazing! 

Everything looks spot on and what's most impressive is that you have such detailed memories of a time so long ago, back when you still had hair and could dance without a cane and oxygen tanks!  I can almost see you wearing a tight tank top, short shorts and roller-skates under the disco balls at the XZFR Rockin' Rollerdrome!

Okay, I need to go get that image out of my mind now...but looking forward to seeing the rest of your nostalgic trip down memory lane!   :love:

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:06 AM »
YUM!!!!!!!!
I think like I live like I work like I love.....voluminous and disjointed. Get used to it.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Wow! Just wow!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 06:13 PM »
this looks really great. lots of memories at this place

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 01:07 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen!  (and Wagi.)

I can almost see you wearing a tight tank top, short shorts and roller-skates under the disco balls at the XZFR Rockin' Rollerdrome!

I'm trying to steer most of this to 2008, which is the last year the nightclubs were open before the transition to Disney Springs began.  The Rollerdome opened with the park in '89 but didn't last long (rollerskating + alcohol = what could go wrong?) and was replaced with the poorly named Rock N Roll Beach club.   So unfortunately this version of the park will have the Beach Club.

I lived in Orlando in 93/94 and only went to PI a small handful of times...  I remember seeing KISS perform on the West End Stage, I vaguely remember that we went inside the Beach Club, but mostly I remember going to Mannequins where I'm quite certain my attire was not remotely what you described.   :P

I do remember the lights, the music (specifically this song) and the famous rotating dancefloor:

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 03:30 PM »

...mostly I remember going to Mannequins where I'm quite certain my attire was not remotely what you described.   

OMG...it was even worse???  You didn't drag your old disco-era clothes out of storage did you???  You could have broke your neck wearing those platform shoes, never mind strangled yourself in those tight pants!  You probably saved the tight tank top, short shorts and roller-skates for a night at Parliament House anyways...

I do remember the lights, the music (specifically this song) and the famous rotating dancefloor:

Well, it's a good sign that you could remember anything at all, I suppose...

LOVE THE VIDEO...and the music...and yes, that's how I imagined you danced back then... 8|  (Damn but this is nice work!...seriously! :o )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 03:33 PM by wabigbear »

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 03:37 PM »
It was the 90's, not the 70's!  Stop projecting your wardrobe onto me!   O0

[So happy I've been around here long enough to graduate up to the Citytrader old jokes.)     ;D

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I'll leave the snarky jokes to Wagi; since he is the King (Queen?) of Snark. I like the hand-held camera showing us the 'dance floor' from up in the rafters. And the rotating lights really give the scene that nightclub feel.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 06:13 PM »
This is a great take on Pleasure Island. Mannequins definitely sets the tone of your approach to this area, and honestly I love it! Indoor flat rides with tons of lights and music, definitely different than the clubs.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 06:42 AM »
I'll leave the snarky jokes to Wagi; since he is the King (Queen?) of Snark. I like the hand-held camera showing us the 'dance floor' from up in the rafters. And the rotating lights really give the scene that nightclub feel.

Thanks JB.  And feel free to snark away, at my age I should be able to take it :P

This is a great take on Pleasure Island. Mannequins definitely sets the tone of your approach to this area, and honestly I love it! Indoor flat rides with tons of lights and music, definitely different than the clubs.

Thanks Cody.  I wasn't going to do any interiors but the peeps needed something to bring them over that bridge.  I'll have to see what other clubs on the island can fit a flat ride reminiscent of a dance floor.   :)

-----------------

The Empress Lily was docked on the lake well before construction on Pleasure Island began, but Disney incorporated her into the project as Fulton's Crab Shack, with 3 levels of themed dining.  They also took the paddlewheel off of her though I'm not sure why.

Also off of this large plaza on the East end of the island, The Portobello Yacht Club was here from the beginning, serving Italian cuisine.  They later renovated the exterior to look more "Italian," I'm guessing, but I liked the original paint job as it kind of feels more nautical and in keeping with the architectural theme of the island.  (Disregard the lighthouse in the background, it was added after PI closed down and doesn't really belong on this map.  I'm still debating that one.)

I'm currently building up the sightlines that surrounded Pleasure Island to make it all feel more immersive.   Planet Hollywood is hard to miss from anywhere on the island [still under construction.]

Offline Walle_Epcot

• shyguy's World Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 11:23 AM »
You have my attention! It has that Disney Downtown feel about it.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Quote: "They also took the paddlewheel off of her though I'm not sure why."

Well, obviously, to keep idiots from climbing on it and breaking their necks... I'm pretty sure I would be one of those idiots. :whistling:

The Crab House is truly a magnificent looking structure, JP. The detailing looks great. I like the string of popcorn lights strung across the top.

I like the conical roof on the Portobello Yacht Club; it took lots of pieces/polys, but it looks nice. (I was expecting the restaurant to look like a mushroom.) I also like the Italian flag/banner out front.

The last pic is really nice; beautiful and exciting. I love those little rounded terraces next to the water.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Thanks Walle...  I expect the Downtown Disney vibe to grow as I keep building up the areas that are off-island...  today I was working on the T-Rex Cafe that sits just across the bridge from the former Fulton's.

JB:  Thanks, custom roofs and signs are more work than I like putting into my projects, but they were kind of necessary here.  There's a lot of steel girders being used as roofs in this project, and I'm very glad the conical roof worked out ok (although it looks much better the further you stand from it)  :P   

The boat is still there, however Disney spent the last two years tearing it down to the studs and rebuilding it.   All of the ornate detailing is gone and it all looks very Joanna Gaines, if you know what that means.  I'm not even sure if it's still called the Empress Lily.  BUT... they put the paddlewheel back on.  (Maybe because the new restaurant inside is named "Paddlefish?")
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:30 PM by JPAlmighT »

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 04:27 AM »
Kudos on the Fulton's boat!  That's just so realistic.  We ate there once not too long before it closed to be refurbished.  The food was very good, the interior was fine but the large windows next to the tables was terribly bug-splattered...which is to be expected on a body of water in Florida I guess, and I don't think they charged us extra for them...

Also love the Planet Hollywood in the background.  The lighthouse may not technically belong, but it certainly looks sweet there!  Looking forward to what comes next...

Impressive how much you accomplished...did you start this well before you finished reworking World's of Fun or this just the result of your self-confessed lack of a social life?  Impressive none the less...

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 05:45 AM »
Thanks Wagi.  I have literally no memory of Fulton's, I'm guessing we never even walked over to that end of the island.  This is all from photos so I'm glad it matches up somewhat with your firsthand experience!

The lighthouse replaced the building that used to be Fireworks Factory, then Wildhorse Saloon, then Motion.   It wasn't much of a building to look at, but now that I'm using flat rides for dance floors I'm kind of thinking maybe the Wildhorse Saloon should be in that spot, even if it's not much to look at from the outside?  (You know me, I'll save that lighthouse and recycle it into something!)

The story is this:  I was about one session away from putting WoF on the workshop, just had to finish some very boring parking lot stuff, and then I started this and have been distracted by it ever since.  When any project is capable of holding my attention these days I've found it's just best to go with it ;)  I'll get WoF uploaded soon, maybe, I hope....  (A more accurate answer to your question is that this is about 3 weeks of work... it goes quickly when you're not building coasters)

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 06:54 AM »
unbelievably beautiful. this repo is spot on. love it.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Stunning as usual! One experience that I have always had a love for is Characters In Flight, which if it were in Planet Coaster, would be perfect for this unique take on Pleasure Island. I see the balloon in the background, but have always enjoyed the fact that there is an attraction at Downtown Disney, as well as the views from it. Fultons.... last time I went there was way before it became Paddlefish, and I remember it being super costly. Definitely brining back memories from the old Downtown Disney days.  :D

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Thanks Wowman and Cody.  Again, really means a lot getting opinions from people who know the area.  Feel free to chime in throughout as I did have to make a lot of guesses along the way.

Re:  Characters in Flight, for now I just have the balloon there, I would *really* like to put in an observation tower to replicate the experience as a functional attraction, but I think in this case it would take away from the actual visual of seeing the island restored.   I would have also loved doing a fictional interpretation of this park following more along the lines of Pinnochio's version (WHY didn't Disney do that?) with actual rides and coasters.  But for now I'll just continue targeting nostalgia because I think we can all use some lately.  :)

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 05:28 PM »
The Pleasure Island Jazz Company was one of the 6 original clubs on the Island.  The central pavillion made for an eye catching architectural feature that fit well among the island's nautical industrial theme.  A wooden octagonal pergola/canopy surrounded the exterior.

I wanted to incorporate the original pergola, although it was difficult finding any views other than the angle pictured above.  In the 2000's Disney began turning the Jazz Company into the Irish themed Ragland road, more a series of Irish pubs than an actual nightclub.  They built up the Ragland road facade around the pavillion, to the point where it is barely visible anymore.  So I'm glad that I left this one angle where you could still see the red metal roof from the path.  (It's no longer red in real life.)

I don't hate the conversion, the Ragland road buildings were much more interesting to build (and at least I could find tons of pictures.)  Also, I don't hate the idea of bars vs. clubs, and outdoor garden seating in the Florida evenings.  Losing the live jazz music is disappointing however.

My version does not have an interior, although the smaller carousel is currently inside to draw peeps in.  I may come back to this and add interior details depending how the rest of the build goes.  The Irish Pub building in the shot above definitely could use something, interior or exterior, it just looks kind of unfinished at the moment.

Meanwhile, I did find out that Disney removed the paddlewheel and smokestacks from the Empress Lilly when it officially became part of Pleasure Island in the mid 90's, due to issues with rust.  Strange that with all their money Disney never restored those features until the recent 2018 conversion to Paddlefish.  Doesn't matter too much, it's still a good looking boat that looked much better before the conversion, even without a paddle.

But really, that picture above is meant to tease the building on the left, T-Rex.  It opened in 2008, just as Pleasure Island was closing, so technically it does fit the timeline of this map.  It's a heavily themed restaurant NOT owned by Disney, as the business plan for this area shifted greatly to outside vendors as the years went on.   

Catering to families, particularly with children, the addition of T-Rex certainly hinted strongly at the end of Disney's adult getaway district.  For my own purposes with this project, it's a very large building that filled up a spot that would have been otherwise empty, and it gave me the chance to subscribe to some of the cool animatronic dinosaurs on the workshop.   This one will have an interior, and I've added a darkride track to showcase it better.  Plus it will give the peeps something else to do.  I was hoping to have that video filmed by now but the interior is taking longer than I thought so hopefully soon.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 08:36 PM »
this is really looking good

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Ooh, looking forward to seeing the interior of T-Rex. :)  As far as the Irish Pub-  the lower windows seem out of place for that type of building. Maybe it would look better if you used the same type of windows seen on the upper floor? Just a thought.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 03:38 AM »
Wonderful job, both with the recreation of course, but also the backstory!

Ate at T-Rex once...the noise level from the animatronics and special effects combined with the screeching of countless children racing around in the midst of sugar-induced fits while being totally ignored by their parents is one feature on the interior you can skip, I'm sure...it still causes me nighmares years later.  If I remember correctly we wound up just outside of the T-Rex when one of the usual afternoon Orlando cloudburst thunderstorms commenced, it wasn't a choice we'd have made otherwise, although the place looks like fun from the outside otherwise.

Offline Plokoon111

• Darkride Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 06:26 AM »
I feel so disappointed that I haven't seen this sooner! This is just wonderful! I love the buildings, the sense of detail and the layouts as well! Great job!

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Thanks guys!

Wagi:  Adding more sound effects for you as we speak.  Sadly, "screaming children" is not really in-game but I may be able to improvise...   :P

JB:  Yep, you were absolutely right (as usual. :mad:up: )    I needed to switch out those windows.  Sometimes trying to copy real life  photos to the game is not the best way to go, and I had to get that out of my head.   The new facade on the Irish Pub is a drastic improvement (that does NOT require me to do an interior now, he hehe.)  And while I was at it I sort of cleaned up and filled in the whole area to the point where we should just pretend I didn't even post the first screenshot, this one is much better:

Not sure why all those peeps are flooding the sidewalks during daylight.   The clubs aren't even open yet.

Meanwhile, T-Rex is nearly complete and all I need to do now is film the thing, and maybe add some more sound effects for Wagi.

Online JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Quote: "JB:  Yep, you were absolutely right (as usual. :mad:up: )    I needed to switch out those windows."

Yay, I got my way! Everything is right with the world now. :P  (As if...  :-\)  The new Pub windows look mighty fine, JP.

Offline wabigbear

• Gringo en Brasil
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2020, 03:45 PM »
Don't forget to add some WDW specific dialogue..."I paid a fortune for this damn vacation and dammit you're gonna enjoy it if it kills you!", and "I know you want to see a Princess, but there aren't any here, just stupid dinosaurs!"...and "Get the hell down from that mastodon before I womp yer ass Billy Joe! 

As for screams just turn on the mic and start recording while paging through Grindr...oh wait, you need screams...not sobs...or hysterical laughter.   :(

Like the new windows and T-Rex continues to amaze!

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2020, 04:46 AM »
Never went to the area myself, but from pictures I've seen, this looks spot on! Terrific job.

Looking forward to more!

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 09:24 AM »
JB:  I suspect if we can turn your eye for detail and improvement to the rest of the world, things could only be better.

Wagi:  Darn, I could've had you record those for me and put your voice in the ride!  (When it comes to Grindr, the screams are from everyone else and the sobs are from me.)   :'(

CT:  Thanks Rich!  My last visit there was probably in '94...  It was night and I was drinking, so none of this is being built from memory :P

Well, much like Grindr, I've teased it enough and built your expectations to the point where you can only be disappointed.   Prepare to be very disappointed, here's the inside of T-Rex: