Eaglewood Resort V2 - Hardhat Construction Tour Photos!

• 10 replies

Offline arvalleycoasters

• The only Michigan's Adventure fanboy you will meet
    • View Profile
Eaglewood Resort V2 - Hardhat Construction Tour Photos!
« on: October 06, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Hey all, I'm Myles. I used to be on here as TheMKGames. I mostly lurked, but I attempted to post some parks. Each got one update before they failed. I recently got the Complete Edition of RCT3, and I've been starting some general planning for Eaglewood, but it's not entirely ready yet. I plan on having the same storyline, the same three characters, and the same exact location. What exactly do I mean (pun intended there)?

Well, Eaglewood is set in my hometown, and I've always meant for it to be right on the banks/shore of Manistee Lake (in Manistee, MI). I've been to the location of this fictional park, many times. But today, I've mapped it out, and I've got a reference for the land and terrain I'm going to put the park and resort on.

This is a general map of the land I want to use. Since Eaglewood's timeline starts in the early 70s, none of this land (particularly the land on the riverbanks, where there is currently a chemical plant owned by Martin Marietta, and a trailer park) will be developed, although, Caberfae Highway, which is also known as M-55, will still be there. M-55 is connected to US-31, which is the major highway system in Western Michigan. It goes right down to Muskegon (where Michigan's Adventure is) and Grand Rapids, and it ends right in South Bend, Indiana. So, the park would be in a great spot. I don't believe Eastlake Road would be there in the 70s.

This is a picture of the land Eaglewood would be on in the present day. There's a slight decline and then the Martin Marietta chemical plant right on the banks of the lake.

And that's all of the preliminary work I've been doing. If you want to see the first version of Eaglewood that I started a few years ago, I'll put a link in this post. I've done some referencing to that, but not too much. There's going to be a lot of major, major changes to the resort layout.

Thanks for viewing this,
Myles
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:10 PM by arvalleycoasters »
How do I shameless plug my parks here???

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
Re: Eaglewood Resort V2 - Editor's Note and Preliminary Planning
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:11 PM »
I think this is a great start, im excited to see what you have in store as to what the park will look like. Personally, I wouldn't want a theme park next to a chemical plant. But im sure you can definitely make it work.

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
Re: Eaglewood Resort V2 - Editor's Note and Preliminary Planning
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks, I've been working for the past few weeks to make some sort of 'proof of concept' with scenery use. I'm also loading up on custom scenery as well. The park will use small amounts of CS. I'm thinking of using some path covers, maybe getting some custom supports too. And don't worry about the chemical plant, in the parks timeline (which I'll be starting up soon), the plant doesn't open. IRL, it opened in 1981. The parks story starts in 1973, just after Michigan's Adventure starts marketing itself as an amusement park and adding rides in. By the way, I should add that I might be taking some inspiration from Michigan's Adventure, at least Roger Jourden's original plans for the park. I'll go into that when I'm able to make a clear start on Eaglewood's story, or make another Editor's note.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:02 PM by arvalleycoasters »

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
Eaglewood Resort V2 - Letter to the CEO (Story Teaser?)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Mr. Mylk,

We believe we have found a suitable 1,550 acres of land outside of the city of Manistee. We advise you move immediately to purchase the land.

Your friends,
Bob and Jourden

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
MANISTEE NEWS ADVOCATE
January 1, 1974

MYLK COMPANY ANNOUNCES EAGLEWOOD -- A DISNEYLAND FOR MANISTEE
Mylk Company CEO, Eobard Mylk, along with his CFO, former Senator Bob Fahren (D-MI), and COO, Jourden Rogers, announced that the company was behind the recent purchase of over 1,500 acres of land last year in Stronach Township, just outside of Manistee, Michigan. The company plans to start construction on a new, flagship initiative for the company. The three call it Eaglewood Resort. It will include two resort hotels, the Grand Custer, and the Patrioteer Lodge and Campgrounds, along with the main attraction, the theme park. As of right now, the full plans for the theme park remain under wraps, as the company says it is still in development. They promise to have full plans ready for announcement by mid-March or early May. Construction has already started, as crews have been hard at work early in the Michigan winter. No major construction, however, will be taking place until May, after the theme park's plans are publicly revealed for the first time. There is an air of optimism and positivity for the three executives, and close friends. They reminisce about trips they've taken to places like Disneyland in California, Cedar Point and Geauga Lake in Ohio, and the old Romona Park down in Grand Rapids. Their biggest competitor is set to be Deer Park Funland down in Muskegon. Roger Jourden was not available for comment. This is sure to be quite the matchup of the two parks.

Offline hhnman234

• RCT3 Forever and Always.
    • View Profile
I love this. Great start!

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
Spoiler (hover to show)

Thanks. I know I'm going slow, but I don't think I can afford to rush myself on this. This could take a few months to really get up off the ground. I'm slowly compiling images of current early construction of the resort and putting them into Imgur. Like I said, I don't want to rush myself. My life outside of all of this has taken up a lot of free time. Add my other interests outside of SGW and theme parks and you could see that, again, I don't spend hours upon hours building stuff in the game.

Anyways, I'm going slow. I do want to start posting photos soon. This park will probably be a mix of custom scenery and vanilla scenery. Maybe I'll make a good park out of it? I don't know, but I hope I can. I think it will be, and I hope you all will think that too.

Offline cody

• Unlock the magic within!
    • View Profile
You got a good story going. I myself have found it difficult to form a story and then continue it effectively. I will say, it is perfectly fine to stray away from it at times giving progress reports on your works. Sometimes the story might constrict showing your reasoning behind some design decisions because you will be concentrating too hard on companies/characters for the story. You got something really good being "teased," and I look forward to seeing how it will go.  :D

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
Re: Eaglewood Resort V2 - Hardhat Construction Tour Photos!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 03:54 PM »
Eaglewood Courier
A Manistee News Advocate Companion
Issue No. 1, March 1, 1974

Hello all, Bob Fahren here. We here at the Mylk Company were so happy to hear the good feelings around our investment in Manistee. We truly seek to work to provide a quality experience with our theme park and resort when it will open. We also seek to invest in and around the local community, doing whatever charitable work we can in the spirit of keeping good feelings alive between all od us. That being said, Eobard, Jourden, and myself thought it would be good to keep you all updated on our progress here out on the property, overlooking Manistee Lake. We have partnered with the Manistee News Advocate, and we're happy to release this every few weeks or so as a free newsletter. It will contain updates on constructions, major announcements, and it can help you and your families book tickets and a hotel stay for when the park opens.

Very recently, myself, Jourden, and Eobard, along with construction crews, park planners, and various employees, friends, and investors took a hardhat construction tour of the 1550 acre property that Eaglewood is being built on. We've been doing construction in total silence since late May of last year, when the land surveys were finished and Project: Eagle was greenlighted. So far, the three of us can announce to you today that we are well along in constructing our parking lots, the two resorts, Patrioteer Lodge and Campgrounds, and the Grand Custer Hotel, and we've officially started construction on what we're calling the Nest, the Manistee headquarters for the Mylk Company's Parks and Experiences division, specially created for Eaglewood.

In any case, I should get to the photos before I start going on a tangent.

This is just a photo I took pulling into the parking lot. Right next to us in this photo is the yet-to-be-finished park offices and headquarters.

This photo is just a general overview of the construction work going on with the Nest. I'll show some more details a few photos down.

Here's a photo of the preliminary entrance. It's not complete in any way, we plan to have a much bigger entrance beyond these gates.

Here's the entrance to the Patrioteer Lodge. The Lodge will be in itself a hotel, but beyond it we plan to have campgrounds, so more people are able to stay and take a family vacation from all over the state.

And here's a closer look at the lodge. This definitely the smaller of our two hotels, but both are pretty economical when it comes to price. We plan to give every family who stays at our hotels free tickets into the park for a second day if they buy a one-day ticket to the park for the first year of operation.

Obligatory closeup shot of the entrance. Again, there'll be a bigger entrance to the park when it opens, but for now we're focused on outer infrastructure and such.

Here's a better look at construction on the Nest. The building will be two stories...

and it'll feature a small blacony on the back that the three of us (again, that would be myself, Jourden, and Eobard) have taken to calling The Perch.

Another shot of construction at the Nest. And that's pretty much the meat and potatoes of this update. By this point, the rain started downpouring, and we had to leave the site.

I was frantically running back to the Custer and made sure to snap this photo before it was too late. We've got a big main building, with many suites and rooms, and then we have four other separate buildings with more standard rooms for families. We took a lot of inspiration from the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island for the design of the Grand Custer.

Well, if you've stuck with me this far, congratulations. On the back of this page you can find a place to book tickets in advance, look at maps of the land Eaglewood is on, usual basic news, like the weather and such. And the three of us included some ads for attractions we liked across Manistee. Thanks for reading this and God bless.

-Bob

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline JB

• ^ Ricky Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Hey, arvalleycoasters. It's nice that you have all this background info stored in your head. Even if some of it doesn't make it into the story, I've found that it helps a lot when coming up with ideas to include. When the characters are real to you, they're easier to write. :)

Offline arvalleycoasters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 10:37 AM »
JB, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'd say my background headcanons for these characters have informed me on a background storyline for Eaglewood. The weird thing with Eaglewood's timeline is that in both iterations of my building this park, I've never planned the timeline of the park past 1976, America's bicentennial.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Another thing that's influencing my decisions with this park is the existance of Michigan's Adventure, the real-life amusement park in Muskegon, Michigan. Noted for being the red-headed stepchild of the Cedar Fair. In the 1970s, up until about 1988 if I remember correctly, the park was known as Deer Park Funland. Deer Park Funland was owned by Roger Jourden (remember there's a character known as Jourden Rogers), whose interest in amusement parks blossomed after Romona Park in Grand Rapids closed and was torn down in 1956. The Jourden family still operates the park to this day, with Camille Jourden-Mark being the General Manager at Michigan's Adventure. I'm trying to project a lot of Michigan's Adventure (Deer Park Funland, in the story at least) onto Eaglewood when I build things.

The other thing influencing me with Eaglewood is the fact that I set in my hometown, Manistee, Michigan. Manistee nowadays is past its prime. I grew up there, but moved to Florida when I was about 8 years old. I still go back up to Manistee every summer. It's a nice town, despite what my family says about it. I treat it like it's home. I'm gonna try to be realistic about Manistee's reaction and growth in response to an amusement park and resort being built just outside it. 

I know I addressed a lot more about my thought process, but there was really nothing else I could say about the characters for now. Hopefully this was insightful.